Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Sakura Taisen was created by Ooji Hiroi-sensei; all rights reserved to Sega, Red Company, & Bandai Visual
This fanfiction is by Jill
notes: flashback & reference to events that happened in the prequel, "smite the player: oogami-san, you're going down". If you hadn't read it before, it doesn't matter, but this is the sequel so i kinda am continuing. sore jaa!

Smite the Best Man - Oogami you must choose
Part 8: "Unsaid Words"


By majority vote, Sumire was chosen as Maid of Honor. Sumire didn't seem too pleased by it, but after some teasing from Kanna, she soon forgot about her protest. "Leave it to Kanzaki Sumire - this wedding will be fabulous!"

"Heheh, looks like this snake woman might be useful after all." Kanna chimed, munching on her chicken dinner, "Just means we all don't have to work as much as her. Serves her right for being so lazy these past few days..."

"What did you say?!?" Sumire exclaimed, nearly poking her chopsticks in Kanna's eyes, "We'll all be working hard for the wedding!! Not just me!!"

"Yare yare... that's what you think. If anything goes wrong, it'll be your fault..."

"Are you trying to sabotage me!?"

Maria quickly came between them. "You two, knock it off! It's dinner time, you should behave yourselves like adults!!"

Airisu smiled and leaned against Oogami's arm. "Nee, Airisu is an adult and she is behaving very mature. Hee hee!"

"If I remember correctly, Airisu-han had a temper tantrum and blew up everyone just a half an hour ago." Kouran muttered, her glasses flashing. She had to tie a string to keep her frames from falling apart. "Aaaan, and these was my favorite pair too..."

"Gomen, Kouran!" Airisu gasped, "Datte! Onii-chan was being indecisive and couldn't make up his mind right away! Airisu couldn't wait for his answer and had to... to release some anguish!"

"Honto ni! Oogami-san is very indecisive!" Sakura said in between sips from her green tea, "He really enjoys the company of all women..."

Rice dropped from Oogami's mouth as he stared towards her. But he couldn't reply; somehow he had admitted defeat. It was obvious now that Sakura didn't care for him anymore.

Everyone else seemed to feel the tension and decided not to add to it. Kayama suddenly said, "Minnaa~! I'm soo glad you invited me to stay for night. I feel like I'm part of the family. What a good feeling~!"

Yoneda poured himself another cup of sake. "But if you go near Kaede-kun's room tonight, I'll have to kill you, kono yarou!"

"Ehehe, daijoubu!! I'll be a good ocean man tonight~!"

"Never stopped you before." Yuri uttered, tapping her chin thoughtfully, "I often see Kayama-san climbing on the side of the Teigeki, usually to Kaede-san's room..."

"NANI?!!?" Yoneda exclaimed, shooting a glare towards Kayama who leaped out of his seat and hid behind Kaede's chair. "OI! OI!! YOU ARE SOO DEAD!!"

"Maa maa maa! I just went to serenade her! They were totally innocent visits!!" Kayama gasped, his face sweating. He pleadingly turned to his fiancée, "Kaede, defend me, please!!"

Kaede just blushed and folded her hands together. "Kayama was so sweet and showed me the ocean!" she sighed, hearts all around.

"A-ano..." Kayama stammered as he backed away from the raging Yoneda. "Calm down, Old Man! You look very scary just now!" he cried, waving his hands, "Waaah! Oogami, help!"

"Oops... looks like another secret slipped out." Yuri noted, "I better be more careful, ne? Oh well! It's so fun to spread rumors!"

"YURI-SAAN!!" Kasumi and Tsubaki exclaimed, giving her a warning look. Yuri sighed and turned back to her dinner. No one else had any clue on what that as all about.

* * *
That night, Oogami stepped into his room to see Kayama lying on his floor with a futon. He smiled over towards him. "Yo Oogami! Like old times naa?"

Oogami dropped his head. "No... why me...??"

"Don't be like that, Oogami!" Kayama replied cheerfully. He had washed the gel out of his hair and it fell around his face in a careless mess. Wearing a navy tank, he stretched his arms behind his head. "Already kissed Kaede goodnight, so let's hit the hay. Aa, but Oogami didn't kiss his woman goodnight??"

Oogami took off his tie and threw it aside onto a chair. "I don't have a woman... not anymore, that is..." He angrily proceeded to change, folding his pants and hanging his white polo in the closet. He stopped in front of the mirror sighing. "I'm just an indecisive idiot in his boxers."

"Mighty cute boxers too!" Kaede chimed from the window. Oogami went red and fell over, while Kayama uneasily laughed. "Yoneda said Kayama couldn't come to my room, demo..."

"Oh no! You two, behave yourselves!!" Oogami cried, putting on a shirt and frantically moving between them, "Yoneda will get so mad, he'll kill us all!"

"Don't worry, Oogami-kun." Kaede replied, "I just stopped by because I forgot something..." She then smiled towards Kayama, "Forgot to say 'I love you'."

Kayama returned the smile. "I love you too."

"Geez..." Oogami sighed, rubbing his head as the two gazed at each other with hearts all around, 'What's the big deal? I've never said that to anyone before... not even to Sakura-kun... wait a minute... maybe that's the reason...' Eyes widened at his realization, but slowly became sad, 'It's too late anyways...'

Meanwhile, Kaede was climbing back out the window. "You boys don't stay up too late okay?? See you tomorrow."

Kayama waved at her and then turned towards Oogami, taking his hands and dancing with him. "What a beeeeautiful night~! I can't possibly sleeeep!! La la la laa~!!" he sang.

Oogami didn't bother to break away from his happy friend. Gazing at the bromide in the trash, he whispered softly, "Can't possibly sleep... with you in my dreams..."

* * *
Morning came too quickly. Oogami found himself in the central garden, cleaning the shrubbery. Nearby, Reni and Airisu were playing with Shiro, who was his energetic self today. The little mutt went rolling mud again. "Waaah!! Bad Shiro!!" Airisu exclaimed.

"Ehehe, Shiro looks happy. Rolling in the mud must be very fun." Reni chuckled. She then took Airisu's hand, "Let's give Shiro a bath okay?"

"H-Hai..." Airisu stammered, not knowing why she was blushing. Reni's hand was so warm, she couldn't help but look into her blue eyes. For a moment, her voice had disappeared. 'Why is my heart going 'doki doki'?'

"Airisu," Oogami woke her from the trance. "I'll try to finish this up quickly and help you two. And maybe since it's so nice out, we can have lunch out here today."

"Uhn! I will, Onii-chan!" she replied cheerfully as Reni picked up the muddy Shiro with a towel, "Nee, Reni-chan! Let's go!!" The two of them rushed indoors, Airisu's face becoming serious. 'This feeling is...'

Kanna and Maria were in the locker room when they came downstairs. "We just finished some training in the exercising room and were about to use the onsen." Maria explained. She uneasily stared at them. "You don't plan on bring Shiro in there."

"Of course! We told Onii-chan that we'd give him a bath!" Airisu said, "Daijoubu, just because Shiro is a boy doesn't mean he understands anything!"

Kanna threw her head back and laughed, "Airisu, you sound like an adult there! But I don't mind the dog; just don't get mud all over the place! Still we better hurry with washing up otherwise that snake woman would yell at us for slacking."

'Yeah, Airisu is an adult...' the girl thought as she followed everyone inside the onsen, 'Demo, I doesn't know what to do. My heart feels so confused...'

Kanna entered the bath with a giant splash. Maria sighed and shook the water out of her hair. "Honesty! Kanna, this isn't the pool!"

"Eheheh! Ya need to loosen up, Maria. That's what an onsen is for." Her voice suddenly softened. "Anyways, I noticed something's been bugging you lately. Been wanting to ask ya about it."

Maria frowned at her reflection. "Well, it's nothing really important..."

"Sure it is! You can tell me, I'm your friend."

Airisu paused from soaping Shiro to gaze towards them. 'Maria and Kanna can talk to each other about anything. Airisu doesn't have someone special to talk to, except Reni... demo...'

"Waah!! Airisu!!" Reni gasped, trying to hold Shiro still, "Waah, hayaku, Airisu! I don't think Shiro enjoys taking a bath!"

Suddenly, Kanna burst out laughing. "You think you're failure?! Come on!! That's crap!! You're the most reliable person I know and I know I can count on you! I trust you with my life, Maria! And you know how everyone feels about you..."

'But you don't know how Kanna feels about you.' Airisu noted. She could read her heart perfectly and no secret was kept from her. 'Why then, Airisu can't tell how Onii-chan or Reni feel... or how Airisu feels...'

* * *
"Here's another tray!" Kohran chimed, handing it over to the others. They were making rice balls in the kitchen. After giving Shiro his bath, Reni had came by and asked them to make some snacks for the picnic in the center garden.

"I heard that Orihime-san took Takeshi-san to the pictures today..." Sumire uttered, eying Sakura over. "You don't mind??"

Sakura smiled. "Iie, I would've done so myself, but I already promised you guys that I'd help out in the kitchen. Besides, Orihime-san really wanted to see that movie, and Takeshi-kun hasn't been to Asakusa before so..."

"Hai hai... you can drop the charade. I can see past your second-class acting to know that you and this country hick aren't lovers." Sumire replied. Sakura went pale and stared at her in surprise. "It's the truth, isn't it??"

Kaede frantically rushed over. "Let's all calm down. Now, Sakura-kun, is this true that you're pretending?" Sakura slowly nodded her head. "Maa, it's all right, but I hope you'll tell us why..."

"I-I'm sorry..." she stammered, bowing her head, "I wanted to convince Oogami-san that I'm over him."

"Sakura-han trying to move on from Oogami-han? Now I've heard everything! But, I wonder what has Oogami-han done now?" Kohran said thoughtfully, "Did he fool around with some hussies in Paris??"

"H-how did you guess, Kohran?!"

Sumire crossed her arms. "It's quite obvious. Chuui just can't keep himself away from women. It's only natural that once he gets away, he forgets all about his relationship to Sakura-san. If I were you, I'd find a REAL boyfriend to get even with him."

Kaede sympathetically patted Sakura on the back. "Easier said that done, because Sakura-kun seems to still have feelings for Oogami-kun."

Sakura frantically shook her head. "No! I'll never forgive that person!" she cried, breaking away, "I trusted him and he betrayed me... if I hadn't found out, I'd be an even bigger fool... I don't want go through all that pain again...!" She then ran out of the room.

Sumire flipped out her fan. "Maa, Sakura-san is stubborn, but strong. She'll be all right."

'No way...' Airisu thought, from her hiding place by the door. Instead of coming to help them, she had been eavesdropping and Sakura just ran past her. 'Onii-chan... cheated in Paris?!'

* * *
Soon the rice cakes were ready and the blanket was spread in the garden. Yoneda opened up a fresh bottle of sake and slapped Kayama on the back. "Yoshi! This one's for you, Son! Drink it all up!"

"Yare yare... yesterday you trying to kill me, and today you're calling me your Son. Guess I shouldn't complain, but afterwards you gotta sing with me, na?" he replied, accepting the bottle.

Next to him Oogami moped. He didn't want to hear any singing, especially from Yoneda. At his elbow, Kaede poured him tea. "Oogami-kun, not having fun? Cheer up. It's a nice day in Tokyo."

'It is NOT nice day... you're marrying a singing idiot! Sakura-kun thinks I'm a player and has dumped me! And I didn't have a lot sleep last night because of this singing idiot!' Oogami yelled inwardly, yanking at the grass, 'Why did I even come back at all?!'

Just then, he remembered Sumire's words. - Just because Sakura-san has stopped loving you, doesn't mean the rest of us... -

'That's right. I have stay cheerful, for everyone else's sake. I need to get over this... but how am I supposed to do that when everything is going all wrong...?'

Meanwhile, Kayama picked up his guitar was singing a ballad. "Ooooh!! I loooove my sweeet Kaedeeee!! Sweeet sweet Kaede - I loooooove yooooooou~!!" Everyone clapped along with him as he and Yoneda got up and started dancing around. "It's sooooo hard not toooooo~! Oh, how I loooooove yoooooou~!"

Kaede shook her head and giggled. "Idiot..." She then smiled at Oogami. "Isn't it great to be so open about your feelings?" He shrugged, gazing into his tea. She reached over and put her finger on his forehead. "You know who first told me to be honest with my feelings? It was two years ago..."

(flashback)
On the roof, Kaede and Kayama were scrambling to hide, as someone had seen them. Kaede quickly pushed him off the ledge. "Uwaaah?! K-Kaede!?" Fortunately, he caught the ledge with one hand and was hanging onto dear life.

"Kaede-san...?" Sakura stammered, walking towards her, "Just now... did I see you with a man...??!"

"Of course not! I'm on duty!" she laughed, moving in front of the panicking Kayama. "Sakura-kun, aren't you supposed to be backstage? You're first up on curtain call..."

"I know... but I wanted to come up here to think about something... But, I could have sworn..." She peered over Kaede and saw the pale-faced Kayama. "Kyaa! Kayama-san!? So, it's true!"

Kayama was able to get a footing on a lower ledge and waved farewell. "Kaede, Sakura - Adios! Matta ooh!!" He then leaped to safety and disappeared into the night.

"Kaede-san... why are you hiding?" Sakura said turning to her, "If you really care about someone you should be honest with your feelings... don't be afraid to let others know, including that person..."

"Maa, Sakura-kun, when did you become so experienced?? Do you have someone in mind??"

"Ano... atashi..." She lowered her head and gazed down at the dim streetlights. "It's an unrequited love... but I can't help but feel this way..."

Kaede put her hand on her shoulder. "Sakura-kun! Do you best in love and I'll do my best too, okay?"

Sakura cheerfully nodded her head. "...Hai!"
(end of flashback)

Oogami lifted his face and stared at Kaede. She moved her hand to his cheek and looked somewhat stern. "If not for Sakura-kun's advice, I doubt Yuichi and I would have stayed together so long. We both did our best thus far, but the results are very different ne?"

He slowly nodded, going to move away from her. He wondered if Sakura had gone. Not far, Sumire and Kanna were arguing, with Maria trying to break them up. Reni, Kouran, and the Teigeki Sannin Musume were singing along with Kayama and Yoneda. "What can I do~? I'm so in love with you~! Yet, what a shame it is, that you will never know~!"

* * *
Sakura sat outside the Teigeki on the steps. She'd rather be there than in the central garden with everyone else. She knew that somehow her secret would come up and she would be faced with giving an explanation for her lies and Oogami's attentive eyes fixated on her. 'No... I can't...'

In front of her, Orihime and Takeshi came walking up the steps to her. She could tell that they were getting along, especially how they looked in each other's eyes and were holding hands. She wanted to feel good about helping them together, but her problems were too overwhelming.

Takeshi let go of Orihime's hand and smiled, handing her a bouquet of roses. "Here, Sakura, this is for you. I told Orihime-san about what's going on, and she's agreed to help out with the act. So, our cover was to go looking for a present for my sweet girlfriend."

Sakura frowned towards the roses. "There's no need. Soon everyone will know that it's just an act. It's over."

"Mou! I wanted to help you get back at that Japanese guy!" Orihime pouted. She shook the hair out of her eyes and leaned down to her friend. "So, what happens now, Sakura-san?"

"I don't know..." she winced, leaning her face down onto her folded arms. "I don't know what to do anymore..."

Orihime wanted to say something, but stopped herself. They could only let her handle it on her own. Taking Takeshi's hand, they quietly walked into the Teigeki. Sakura stared down at the street, gazing at her shadow. Before she knew it, there were two. "Eh?" she stammered, lifting her head, "Airisu?"

"Sakura-oneechan," Airisu uttered, sitting next to her with Jean-Paul on her lap. "Orihime and that Niisan are secretly in love. Airisu heard everything."

"Uhn, I wish Orihime-san and Takeshi-kun lots of happiness." she replied, "I wish too that that Oogami-san will become happy... without me, that is." She paused to wipe her eyes. "Although, I know that'll be easy for him."

Airisu leaned in closer. "Sakura... really loves Onii-chan?" She sadly nodded, the tears falling from her eyes. Airisu lifted her head to the blue sky. "Airisu also loves Onii-chan very much... demo... Airisu doesn't really know what love is. By the way it's made Sakura sad, Airisu might not want to be in love anymore."

"Airisu..."

"Demo ne, I can't but feel this way... is it love? I don't know, but can't wait to find out..." she uttered, squeezing Jean-Paul tightly, "Sakura mustn't be sad. Even if this love has ended, Sakura will find new love someday."

Sakura slowly smiled. "H-Hai...Arigatou, Airisu."

* * *
"RE NI CHAAAN!" Airisu chimed, latching onto the bewildered Reni in the hallway. "Ne nee! Let's go help Sumire with the flower arrangements! It'll be fuun!!"

"Genki na! Airisu is very energetic today." Kanna chuckled, her and Maria on their way to fix the roof. There had been some damage since the last windstorm. Occupied with their tools, they headed for the attic, where they could crawl out the window.

"We should ask Kayama to help us. Kaede-san says he's good at climbing buildings." Maria noted, "Too bad he's stuck in Yoneda's office; he and Kaede-san are getting a lecture."

"Ehehe, guess it's just you and me, Maria!"

Orihime and Takeshi were getting ready to go out again. "We're just going for a walk." Orihime reasoned, "We'll pick up some things from the market to snack on. No one will get suspicious. I just want to spend time with you before you go back to Sendai."

"Ciao, Sakura!" Takeshi chimed as they left.

Sakura stood at the top of the stairs. Downstairs, she saw Kouran and Kasumi fighting over Kotone, Yokohiko and Kikunojou looking for Oogami, while Tsubaki scolded Yuri on keeping certain secrets to herself.

'Airisu told me she knew about Oogami-san's misconduct... Sumire-san, Kouran, and Kaede-san all know too... it's only a matter of time everyone does...'

Sighing, she turned away and started to walk towards her room. "Sakura-kun!" Oogami called. She stopped and saw him in the hallway. "Could I talk to you for a moment...?"

Sakura didn't know why she nodded and followed him to his room. As he closed the door, she walked across the somewhat messy room. She saw her bromide in the trash. "Oogami-san, what do you want to talk to me about?"

"I've been doing a lot of thinking..." he uttered, rubbing his head, "I remembered the incident that happened two years ago. You and everyone played a trick on me, making believe I had a secret admirer... in the end, I was hurt pretty badly, so badly that when you told me you loved me, I shunned you."

"That was expected, Oogami-san." she replied, "I'm just a clumsy second-class actress. Why would you possibly love me? It was fun while it lasted. Being able to be with Oogami-san, I was truly happy. But the dream has ended hasn't it?"

"It was fun, Sakura-kun." Oogami uttered, "But I cannot allow you to talk about yourself like that; you're much too important to me." She blinked at him, surprised by his intense expression. Slowly, he took her by the shoulders and pulled her closer to him. "Sakura-kun, the truth is..."

'Oogami-san??' Sakura gazed into his earnest face, waiting for whatever truth this was. Suddenly, the kinematron started beeping. Oogami ignored the call and struggled with his words.

"Ore... Sakura... I... I... love..."

But then, the kinematron, on auto-reply, answered the incoming call and a woman's voice startled them both. "Ichirou? Are you there??"

Sakura peered over Oogami's shoulder. 'That's her... that woman...!' She broke away from Oogami's hold, tearfully bowing her head. "Oogami-san, Please excuse me..." She then rushed out the door.

Oogami didn't know why he didn't go after her, or what to do now. Slowly, he turned around and saw the woman on the screen. Her long black hair tied back, she smiled warmly. "It's nice to see you again, Ichirou..."

* * * * * *
Preview!

Kanna: Oi oi! Who's this American lady that Oogami-Taichou was talking to? ...Nan de?! She's coming here?! Everything is getting a bit of out of hand and Sumire has called a late night meeting... cheh, someone tell me what's going on!

"An Innocent Smile" next time on Sakura Taisen. A storm of romance in Taishou Sakura!

A stormy exchange of words, emotions on edge, and lots of action, na Taichou?


onto part 9
back to part 7