taisho love story: 1st battle, ch.3
Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Sakura Taisen was created by Ooji Hiroi; all rights reserved to Sega co, Red Co, Bandai Visual
This fanfiction is by JillM, posted: september 25, 2001
notes: many thanks to Mink for her helpful feedback on this fic. try not to 'leave your stomach' open - i've heard that phrase many times from a japanese person. it's like saying not to sleep with your stomach exposed to cold air otherwise you'll get sick. it's true! anways, please enjoy! ~_~

Taisho Love Story - The First Battle
Chapter 3: "Are you staying"


The schoolmaster's calls filled the courtyard. Absolutely ignoring it, Kaede sat atop a tree branch and read her sister's latest letter. "Neesan... so you're really going to fight the demons..." she uttered, her fiery eyes burning with determination. "I'll go help you!!"

Throwing herself into action, Kaede leapt from the tree and broke into a run. She would have made it out of the yard if the schoolmaster had not caught her. "Where do you think you're going??"

"To Teito! To fight the demons!" the very excited eleven year-old exclaimed, "And there's not a damned thing you can do about it!" The schoolmaster instantly grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her off, formulating a good punishment. Kaede didn't give up her protest and gave a good fight, but it was futile. "NEESAAAAN!!"

* * *
Back in Teito, Ayame lifted her head. She had been attempting to meditate all morning, but her concentration was failing. Sighing, she pulled herself off the floor and rubbed her eyes.

'It's useless... I can't get him out of my mind... what good I am to the team if I'm thinking about something that I know I can never have... I'm such a fool...'

Walking out of the room, she realized that she had been staying at this mansion for already one week. Everyone was kind to help bring all her belongings here and her bedroom was the largest one. It won't be long until she could call this place home. So, she decided, that she had to do something before this occurred.

"S-Shinguji-taisa...?" she uttered, timidly sliding the door open to the sitting room he usually went. But, he wasn't there. Feeling disappointed, she started to back out of the room when she stopped to hear some snoring. "Hah?"

By the other doors that opened to the outside garden, she saw Yamazaki sleeping on the floor with a book resting on his leg. She walked towards him to check if he was really asleep or just pretending. If she hadn't been so depressed over her heartbreaking discovery, she would have kicked in the head and started up an argument with him. Yamazaki had showed her nothing but insult from day one. Yet, at this moment, this enemy looked so harmless. She didn't have the nerve to kick him.

"Maybe later." she whispered, kneeling down and taking off his reading glasses. Standing, she examined the peaceful look on his face and wished he would wake up so that she could hear another human voice other than her beloved colonel's voice that echoed in her ears. While Kazuma-taisa was still in her mind, she looked out the doors and saw him in the garden. Without another thought she rushed out, forgetting that she was still holding the glasses.

"Yaa, Ayame-kun!" Kazuma chimed, sheathing his sword and giving her a bright smile. His smiles had become routine, something Ayame looked forward everyday. Today, she felt fortunate to catch him during sword practice. Her focus moved to the sword in his hands. Kazuma cheerfully patted her on the shoulder, "Next time we'll practice together."

She blushed and happily accepted the invitation. But, her pounding heart brought her back to reality. Through the wafting leaves, Ayame gazed into that smile with an aching chest. 'This cannot do... I cannot stay here anymore...'

* * *
After a somewhat long afternoon, Ayame met with Yoneda and the still-sleepy Yamazaki for dinner. Yawning, Yamazaki poured himself some tea and complained of his back hurting.

"That's what you get from falling asleep on the floor." Ayame scolded, "And surely you'll get sick for leaving your stomach open."

"Don't think I know that." he grumbled, "But if you were so worried about it, you should've woke me up and told me to move out of there."

"I-I was not worried." she argued, fretfully shuffling in her spot as she waited for him to finish with the teapot, "Your health is the least of my concerns." Yamazaki simply smirked and poured her cup. Still pouting, she replied sharply, "SU-MI-MA-SEN..."

"Oi oi!!" Yoneda exclaimed, waving his sake bottle in the air, "Why are you two still at odds! We're a team now so let's forget about the past and focus in on the damn bastards trying to attack Teito!"

Ayame was about to sip her tea when she stopped and heard these words. "Actually... I've been doing some thinking." she uttered, turning to Yoneda, "About quitting..."

"Q-Quitting?" Yoneda gasped, "Why? You've just got here!" She bowed her head, placing the teacup onto the floor and not able to give an answer. Yoneda then angrily turned towards Yamazaki. "YAROU!! It's because you thought she was a hooker and made fun of her! I told you it was just a joke!!"

"T-That's not why!" Ayame blurted out, her face turning red at the thought of that embarrassing misunderstanding, "I-I just can't stay here anymore. I'm really sorry..." Standing and bowing her head one more time, she then rushed out of the room.

The two men just sat on the floor in silence. While Yoneda reached for the sake again, Yamazaki eased himself off the floor. "If she leaves..." he uttered, staring towards the door. "S-Shimatta!" He then ran out of there.

"Heh??" Yoneda blinked, a little confused. But after a couple of sips, it didn't matter to him. "Mmmm... sake... *hic!"

* * *
Ayame went into her room and sat on the floor, hugging her knees. 'I want to protect Teito... I want to use this opportunity to help others... demo, right now my heart...' Sighing, she clenched her eyes closed and painfully uttered his name, "Shinguji-taisa..."

Just then, the door came flying open. "Ayame-kun!"

"Yamazaki-shousa...?" she uttered, blinking her eyes as he barged into the room and stopped in front of her, "Na-Nan desu ka...?"

He just forcibly grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her up on her feet. Standing inches apart, he yelled at her, "What's the matter with you?! You can't leave!"

"H-Hah?" she uttered, staring in surprise at his pleading face. Speechless, she felt the hot breath on her skin and the heart pounding loudly as hers. `M-Masaka…' she thought, shaking with fear, `Yamazaki-shousa…?!'

After a long pause, Yamazaki lowered his head, hiding his eyes with the long strands of his hair, "Forget it… it doesn't make any difference anyways." His arms dropping to his side, he backed away to the doors. "Shitsureishimasu…"

It took a while for Ayame to recover. The way he had tightly grabbed her shoulders left redness and perhaps some bruise. She never expected such a reaction from him.

`Why…?' she wondered, clutching at her kimono, `Why all of sudden…? I was so sure he hated me, as much I hated him… But he has no right barging in here and telling me what to do – after how he's treated me. Besides, I could care less about his opinion… I've already decided I can't possibly stay here another day…'

* * * * * * *
Practicing what she should say when she reached Kazuma's room - Ayame stopped at the door only to realize that he was already in conference with someone else.

"Taisa… you have to make sure she stays." said Yamazaki, as Ayame peered in the room, "If she leaves, then…"

"Yamazaki," Kazuma uttered, looking up at the distressed young man, "I understand you've talked to Hanakoji-hakushaku about leaving. And this was the condition?"

"Aa, he said it would be all right as long as Ayame-kun stayed. I'm sure she'll be a good replacement even though she is a bit inexperienced.'

`That's the reason why…?!' Ayame thought, feeling ashamed of her prior assumptions. Her face then scowled, `Inexperienced?! How dare he…! What does he know!'

Kazuma crossed his arms and paced around the room. "Listen, I understand it's been a difficult year for you in adjusting, but please re-consider. I've always thought that you were perfect for this position. Yoneda and I are getting older… Someday, the protection of Teito will be left to young people such as Ayame-kun and yourself."

Yamazaki dropped his head, sighing, "I understand, Taisa… demo, Ore… Ore wa…"

"Didn't you say the traditional ways aren't working? For me, the tradition way is the only way I know - the only way I think works… Prove me wrong, Yamazaki."

"What you're asking me is too much! If my father couldn't do it, what makes you think I can!"

Kazuma put his hands on the boy's shoulders, "Because I believe in you, Yamazaki. I have no doubt you will succeed if you try."

Yamazaki looked lost for words for a moment. But, he slowly lifted his face. "If only I shared in your belief…" he uttered, "I'm sorry; I can't stay here another day. I will pack my things and leave as soon as I can."

Kazuma couldn't do anything but release him. Yamazaki then bowed his head and turned for the door. Ayame, panicking, couldn't escape in time and got caught. "A-Ano… s-sumimasen!" He just walked past her without a word. "Shousa…"

"Ayame-kun," Kazuma walked over to her and patted her shoulder, "Don't worry about him. It's his decision and only he can make it. We can't keep him here if he doesn't want to stay."

"That's the difference between us: I actually want to stay…" she said in a quiet voice. Her thoughts were interrupted by Kazuma's curious face coming into view. "…OH! It's nothing!"

Kazuma had left his hand on her shoulder, frowning at the ceiling, "We'll be all right somehow. With you here, I'm sure of it."

Red-faced, Ayame nodded. She knew that now she couldn't possibly leave. In her heart, her decision had been made and she would have to keep any romantic feelings to herself… as painful as it was.

"By the way, was there something you needed to talk to me about?"

"No… there isn't, Taisa…" she stammered, shrugging off his hand which was making her nervous, "I was just walking past…"

He looked her over, oblivious to anything that was going on. He then lifted a different sword with a blue sheath. "Could you do this favor?" he asked, handing her the sword, "Please give this to Yamazaki. It will remind him..."

"H-Hai…" she said, staring down at it. Kazuma smiled at her and then moved away to the window, gazing outside. Realizing that he wasn't in the mood to talk anymore, she left.

* * * * * * *
In Yamazaki's room, she saw that he already started packing. He refused to take any notice to her until she went right up to him and put the sword in his face. "Get that away from me."

"It's yours, isn't it?"

"It's my father's. It's not mine." he replied gruffly, putting more clothes into the suitcase, "Just as this is his position – not mine. I'll be damned if I stay here another minute and end up like him."

Ayame's mouth dropped open. "H-How dare you talk about your own father like that? From my understanding, he was one of those that protected Teito before us and died doing so… To insult him for having a fate similar to my own parents – I can't help but think that you are the cruelest man alive!"

"Do I care what you think – NO!" he snapped, slamming the suitcase close. The sound was so loud it made her entire body jump. Yamazaki now angrily stood before her. "If you think dying is an answer to anything then I would gladly throw you out the window!"

Ayame lost all restraint and slapped him across the face. Strong emotions running through her mind, she pushed him aside and ran out of there. Even though she didn't know why, tears streamed down her face and wouldn't stop. `That jerk… I hate him!'

* * * * * * *
The next day, Ayame spent the morning on the balcony with a hot cup of tea. Yoneda arrived and put the shawl back up onto her shoulders, and then sat down with her trying to console her. "Don't be angry with Yamazaki… He's a difficult kid, but basically all right."

"I don't care…" she sniffed, glaring up into the blue sky, "He's selfish and rude… and he doesn't care about other people. I don't want to deal with such a person ever again!"

Yoneda soothingly rubbed her back to calm her before she worked herself into another emotional outburst. "Ayame-kun, you know he's only playing with you. To tell you the truth, I've never seen him laugh so much before you came. Seeing Yamazaki laugh is rare… ever since his father died, and then his mother who committed suicide soon after. Yamazaki was so young and has been alone for a long time. He doesn't have parents, or a sister like you do… We're all he has."

Ayame stared towards him, a bit astonished. "I didn't know…" she uttered. Yoneda nodded and then stood, going to get some sake. Ayame stood and leaned against the railing. She knew of her fate by deciding to stay here - the very fate that Yamazaki was running from.

`But, he's not alone in this fate. We'll all go through it together… if only he could understand…'

She then caught view of him from the balcony. Running inside, she went past the confused Yoneda and nearly ran over Kazuma on the stairs. She was out of breath by the time she got outside with her sandals on, but managed to stop Yamazaki from getting into the taxi. "Ayame-kun…?"

"Ma… Matte kudesai…" she gasped as he waved off the driver and went to check on her, "Yamazaki-shousa… wait…"

"What is it now, Ayame-kun? I hardly any time to talk with you, so make it quick."

Ayame straightened up and stared into his face. `This is his way of dealing with things…' she told herself. She then asked, "Where are you planning to go?"

"Oh, an old colleague of my parents lives in Kobe. Perhaps I can crash there for a couple days."

"Sou desu ka… Could I come see you off then?"

"No, I don't want to waste your time," he answered, going to get inside the taxi and closing the door. She was about to turn away, but he stuck his head out the window and called out to her. "Ayame-kun!"

"H-Hai?"

"I know we didn't start on the right foot and you must think very little of me, demo… please take care of everyone for me… and take care of yourself."

"Hah…" she uttered, a bit surprised by his request. Smiling, she nodded her head. "I will do as you ask. Please take care of yourself, Yamazaki-shousa."

He briefly returned the smile, and then signaled the driver to go. Ayame watched as the taxi went down the street. `And then, he was gone…'

* * * * * * *
The afternoon was spent in a meeting with many from the military. Ayame thought it to be weary as she gazed out the window and wondered if Yamazaki was going to be all right. She felt a gentle nudge from Yoneda's elbow and found that it was time to go already.

"I can't believe that kid just left…" Yoneda sighed, as they walked back to their housing, "I suppose now we've got to look for a new member AGAIN…!"

Kazuma rubbed his head, "Don't worry about it. I'm sure we'll solve this problem later. For now, let's continue planning the trip for our special training this upcoming weekend."

Yoneda was busy rummaging in his pockets. He finally found a bottle of sake, but it only had a drop left. "Just when we were going on a trip, I get in a bad mood! Why does he have to leave the moment we start having fun…!"

Ayame trailed behind them, her shoulders caved. She didn't understand why she felt so terrible. She didn't understand herself at all. At first she was so resolved to leave, and now resolved to stay. Now, she was missing someone she swore she hated. While pondering this, she happened to hear something in the distance. "Music…?"

The three of them exchanged looks and then went inside. They found the sounds up the stairs and discovered music playing in the upstairs sitting room. "A record player?" Yoneda uttered. He then saw who was the owner. "YAMAZAKI!"

Yamazaki smiled towards them, unrolling his sleeves and putting down some tools. "It was a little quiet around here so I thought I'd make something we can use."

Yoneda happily slapped him on the head, messing around his hair. "Yahoo! I knew you were a good kid – just needs a hair cut and an attitude check once in a while – but basically a good kid!!"

"Bastard…" Yamazaki grumbled, looking very frizzed. "My hair isn't that long… it's just about shoulder length! And why are do you have sake on your breath so early in the day?! You shameless old man!!"

"Heh, you can lecture me when you finally reach puberty." Yoneda chuckled, moving past him to get to Ayame, "Could I have this dance, lovely lady?"

"Hai!!" Ayame cheerfully replied. Her mood had entirely changed since the moment she walked into the room. Taking Yoneda's hand they started moving along with the jazzy music coming from the record.

Kazuma and Yamazaki watched and clapped along. Yamazaki suddenly held out his hand. "Taisa… I accept your challenge."

Kazuma gladly looked into this face of determination and shook hands with him. Yamazaki then turned back towards the dancing couple. 'Because I'm not alone …'

* * * * * * * * * * *
Preview of the next episode - "The city I love"

Neesan, are you really fighting to protect our Teito? I want to come join you, so I will run away from school as soon as I can. Because, Teito is the place we were born, where we grew up, and where I hope to live for the rest of my life. Soushite, it is the place where Otousan met Okaasan… Do you remember the story they used to tell us? I'll never forget it…


onto ch.4
back to ch.2