Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Sakura Taisen was created by Ooji Hiroi; all rights reserved to Sega co., RED co., Bandai Visual; 1996-today
This fanfiction was created by JillM; original posting: October 9, 2001 updated august 17 2002
Notes: Here is the ending half of the Tai Kouma Butai series. Though the ending is already decided and matters serious and tragic will be faced, let’s go into this story with a smile. A lot of bad things will happen, but I will keep warm and fuzzy feelings going. Saa, hajimaru hajimaru~!

Taisho Love Story: The final battle
Chapter 1: "Where it continues"


Kanzaki Steel and Iron Industries, Yokohama Japan

Kanzaki Tadayoshi, the president of the Kanzaki Zaibatsu gazed on ahead at a large steel mechanical soldier that stood in the middle of his largest laboratory. "What the hell is this thing?!" exclaimed the old man.

"It's the latest model," replied one of his assistants, "We've already received many orders from the European countries, I think everyone in this building will be getting raises."

"Who cares about the damn money," he snarled, scratching at his long beard, "If our nation is overrun by demons, there goes my fortune! What I'm asking is that you make something that can kill these damn demons! Can that piece of crap over there kill demons?!"

"Of course it can!" cried one of the men in lab coats.

Kanzaki looked over the balding man with a trim mustache. "Who the hell is this supposed to be?!"

"Nomura," uttered the man, "I'm the head scientist on this project and I assure you, Kaichou, this Mech will be strong enough to protect our nation from any demon attacks."

"Is that so?" Kanzaki asked. He turned to the security guards and tapped his cane on the floor. In the next instant a cage was lifted from the ground with a small demon inside. "Let's see it at work."

Everyone backed away in alarm as the cage was opened and the demon scrambled out, hungry from blood. Nomura rushed to his station and had his assistants activate the mecha. Lights on and motor going, it went after the speedy demon and shot several rounds at it. The demon let out a cry of pain and spattered all over the floor. "YAAY!!" exclaimed the scientists.

Suddenly the demon regenerated itself and leapt at one of the secretaries. Screaming, she flung it off her bleeding arm. Kanzaki then knocked the cover off his cane to reveal a sharp edge, going to stab the demon. There was a small blast and the demon evaporated into debris.

"K-Kaichou..." stammered his employees.

Kanzaki faced the group, looking very disappointed. "Machines can kill anything - including people - but it can't kill these bastards. Until I find someone who understands that, all of you are useless!!" he sighed, storming down the hallway.

"Hai hai! We know that!" his followers cried, keeping on his trail, "Anything you say, Kaichou!" After some thought, he stopped and turned towards them. "W-What is it, Kaichou??"

"Did you get a hold of that guy, Yamazaki, yet?!" Kanzaki exclaimed. Nomura and his assistants paused and went slightly pale. Kanzaki got impatient, "WELL??"

His top assistant stepped forward. "E-to, we have contacted Yamazaki-san several times, Kaichou. Every time he has rudely refused us. He swears he doesn't want anything do with Kanzaki industries ever."

"He said WHAT?!" Kanzaki angrily waved his can in the air, "That ungrateful, arrogant, stubborn brat!! Good for nothing!"

"Please try to calm down, Kaichou," another assistant said, "We don't need Yamazaki-san. We can manage on our own. We have the greatest scientists in the world working under our wings..."

But Kanzaki ignored them and continued to rage, "Just like his father! Doesn't he want to make a difference in the world...! Damn you, Yamazaki!!"

* * * * * * *
"All I ever wanted to was make a difference in the world..."

Yamazaki sat in an armchair and gazed off into space. He had been there in that spot for three days without food or sleep. His apartment was in as worse shape as he was as neither had seen sunlight or another human being for three days, or wished to see either every again.

"For now on, I'll do what I'm good for..." he sighed, closing his eyes, "Nothing."

In the darkness, he could hear light footsteps enter the room and faint humming. Suddenly, he heard the curtains open and felt warmth surround him. Redness covered his eyelids and a soft hand was taking his. "Yamazaki-shousa..."

"Oh!" He opened his eyes and saw a lovely face before him. "A... Ayame..." he stammered, as she intertwined their fingers together and knelt at his side. "What are you doing here??"

"I heard about what happened," Ayame uttered, her long bangs falling into her concerned maroon eyes, "I'm so sorry."

"Iya, you don't have to feel bad about it. It has nothing to do with you."

"Still," she said, pressing a kiss on his knuckle, "I can't stand to see you suffer like this. Who could have done such a thing? Were they after your life?"

He merely shook his head. "My life isn't worth the trouble. But this work that now lies in rubble was two months of my life. I feel like someone has killed a part of me."

"Yamazaki-shousa..." Ayame started cuddling with him. "Don't say such things," she said in between each kiss, "You know how I feel about you... how we all do."

"Yamero," he sighed, trying to avoid her lips with great difficulty, "You're just trying to make me forget what's happened and move on... I can't... I can't do anything."

She hushed him and held his head still, looking him in the eye. There was a long pause, the two of them gazing into each other's face. Yamazaki finally gave in and pulled her into a passionate kiss. From the door, his two assistants, Rika and Tanaka, watched in shock. "Whoa... Sensei..."

After a minute worthy of eternity, Ayame broke out of his hold; she looked slightly amused by his starved reaction. "Yamazaki-shousa..." she said, taking his hands and standing up, "Let's go home." Smiling up at her, he nodded and got up.

* * * * * *
After packing all his things, Ayame and Yamazaki headed across town towards the headquarters of the Tai Kouma Butai. But when they got closer to the building that they loved, they noticed a group of young men standing outside, holding bouquets of flowers. "W-What's going on?" Yamazaki stammered as Ayame pulled him along, "Who are all these people??"

"I'll explain it when we get inside." Ayame insisted, steering through the crowd. She got Yamazaki through the door and turned back at the last second. "Sumimasen, Minna-san... I'm going to be busy today." As she shut the door, the crowd let out some groans and finally dispersed.

"W-What was that all about?!" Yamazaki snapped, as Ayame bent down to take off her shoes, "I demand to know what the heck is going on!"

Luckily for Ayame, a couple of familiar faces entered the room. "Aa!! Yamazaki!!" a somewhat sober Yoneda came over and gave the boy a great big hug, "You're back!! And getting taller! I knew you'd reach puberty sooner or later!"

Yamazaki broke free and straightened up his tie, sighing. "You never change, Shirei. But I'm glad you're healthy and nothing happened to you while I was gone."

Yoneda leaned in and whispered over his hand, "Aa, nothing happened to me, but heard about you... You okay, Man??"

Yamazaki nodded and smiled slightly. He then saw Kazuma coming towards him, wearing his usual green kimono. "Yamazaki, welcome back."

"Aa, Taisa," he uttered, bowing his head, "I feel a bit better seeing all of you again. I'm going to try hard to do some good when I'm back with the team."

"I'm sure you will," Kazuma noted, patting him on the shoulder, "We've got some drinks and food set up in the room over there. Let's celebrate your homecoming."

"Oh!! Drinks!!" Yoneda exclaimed, running on ahead, "PAH-TEY TIME!!!"

"Hai~!" Ayame chimed, going after him, "I'm starved... I haven't eaten anything since lunchtime. Aa, Yamazaki-shousa, please leave your bags there. I'll help you unpack later, but for now let's party."

"Aa," he said, turning to go. He stopped to see Kazuma not moving, but standing behind him with a grave face. "Doushita, Taisa?"

"I haven't told Ayame-kun yet," Kazuma uttered, "But, we just received news that the enemy has started to mobilize again. This time their army has increased to maximum and the ones behind it will surely show their faces this time."

"Sou ka," Yamazaki said, facing him with his arms to his side, "I suppose it's perfect timing for me to come back. Though I don't know if I will make much of a difference. Ayame has really gotten stronger, hasn't she? With her power, you really don't need me around."

"That is not so. Not only do I disagree, but I'm sure Ayame-kun would protest that point." Kazuma said, taking his arm and leading him down the hallway, "You really don't know what you mean to the girl."

"I know she feels strongly about me, but I don't want to think about it too much." Yamazaki replied, dragging his feet as they neared the room, "Worrying about what other people think about me only brings about disappointment in the end. I'm tired of disappointing myself."

"You're too young to feel tired." Kazuma chuckled, as they entered the room. He took a seat down onto the tatami mat and happily accepted a cup of sake from Ayame, who had named herself the official pourer. Kazuma then tucked away his hands into his wide sleeves and let a content sigh. "The Tai Kouma Butai is finally complete once again!"

"Sou desu ne," Ayame said, smiling warmly towards Yamazaki, who was still standing by the door gazing back at his friends, "For a long time I hope."

"Sit down, Boy!" Yoneda laughed, yanking Yamazaki down by the necktie, "Have a drink and worry no more! You're home!"

"Speaking of coming home," Yamazaki uttered, narrowing his eyes, "Just what were all those guys doing outside?? You're not auditioning for new members or something, are you??"

Ayame went red and looked down to the floor, while Kazuma chuckled into his sake. Yoneda was the only one ready to give an explanation. "Oh, you see, when Ayame-kun heard about your laboratory being destroyed and then your grant pulled, she wanted to do something to help you. So, she started to solicit herself for your sake."

"EH?!" Yamazaki went pale and turned towards Ayame. "Y-You're... SELLING YOURSELF?!"

"Chigaimasu!!" Ayame gasped, her face blushing harder, "Yoneda-shirei said it all wrong! I'm merely fundraising some money so that you can get back to your research..."

"I-I don't want any charity!" he argued, frantically taking hold of her shoulders, "Especially NOT THAT WAY! My research is nothing compared to a woman's..." His voice trailed off as his own face went red. 'Not good; I'm getting dizzy.'

Ayame sighed and covered her face, burning with heaps of embarrassment. "Here you go again. Shousa, please try to understand - I'm trying to help in anyway that I can. If this is the only way, then I'll do it. I just want to do something for you."

"Ayame..." he uttered, realizing the good intentions behind this scandalous conduct, "Still you don't need to do this. Your support alone is enough for me. I don't need money or anything; I just want all of my loved ones at my side."

Ayame gazed lovingly back at him. "Oh, Yamazaki-shousa..."

"YOSSSHI!!" Yoneda chimed, holding up a bottle, already drunk, "There's a good feeling in the air! Let's keep it going with a toast!!"

"Sou yo!" Yamazaki said, putting his arm around Ayame, "I'll even have a drink. What shall we drink to, Taisa?"

Kazuma, who had been quiet during this time, forced a smile. He then lifted his glass and said softly, "To Teito."

* * * * * * * * * * * *
Next Episode: "Just us two"
(Ayame's letter)

I think I'm ready for whatever comes along, because you are with me. As you read this note, please remember how important you are to the team and to me. Your very presence makes me feel more alive and I'm sure that I can do anything. Please don't turn me away. I just want to get as close as I can...


onto ch.2
back to st fanfiction page