Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Sakura Taisen was created by Ooji Hiroi; all rights reserved to Sega & Red Company
this fanfiction is by JillM; posted 12/9/01; updated 8/18/02

Notes: another chapter. i know everyone's busy, but please send some feedback. it's very helpful to me! i think i went too far this time but who knows - oh the drama! please enjoy!

Taisho Love Story: Final
Chapter 11: "Words and Promises"


The days passed; winter neared a close. Outside, the snow had started to melt and the temperature started to warm up. Noticing these changes, Yamazaki finished loading the luggage in the car. He turned to the old guy sitting inside, with a bottle of Russian whiskey on his lap.

"Shirei, don't tell me you're going to show up at Taisa's house all intoxicated."

"Heheh," Yoneda put on a wide grin. "I've been saving this for a long time. Kazuma and I will drink it together in Sendai... just like old times."

"Give Taisa my regards. And..." Yamazaki leaned in the window, as he searched around in his pockets and took out an envelope. "This is from Ayame. She asked me to give this to you."

"Poor girl..." Yoneda sighed, looking towards the upper windows of the house. "I hope she does get better. Tell her that I'll make sure Kazuma gets this and that I'll be back in a couple of days."

"I wonder why Taisa asked for you to go to Sendai all of a sudden."

"It doesn't matter. I don't mind the trip at all," Yoneda replied, sticking his head out the window. "Hey! Just because I'm not here, doesn't mean you can take advantage of the situation! Behave yourself around Ayame-kun! I'll find out sooner or later, Yarou!"

'Yare yare,' Yamazaki grumbled to himself as Yoneda signaled for the driver to go, 'Take advantage of the situation? Ayame is always the one who starts things up...'

"Matta na!!" Yoneda yelled out the window as the car sped away, "Take care of yourself and Ayame-chan!! Don't touch any of my sake...!!"

Yamazaki lifted his hands from his pockets to wave. The car disappeared down the empty road, but he could still hear the old guy yelling at him in his head. Putting on a slight smile, he went back inside. 'Take care, Shirei...'

* * * * * * * * *
Inside, the house seemed so empty. Yamazaki went upstairs and peered into Ayame's room. "Where is she? She was resting last time I checked her." Moving back into the hallway, his blue eyes glinted. 'Ever since she started doing tests for those scientists, her health has been failing. If those bastards are responsible, I'll...!'

He stopped to see that the bathroom door was open and the light was on. "Ayame..." he uttered, walking over there and poking his head in. "AYAME!!"

She was on the floor, clinging to the toilet - tears streaming down her face. "Shousa..." she sniffed as he knelt down to her, "I don't feel so good..."

"Let's get you back to bed." he said, lifting her up and carrying her down the hall, "Ayame, you've been experiencing this nausea for the last week, right?"

"Un," she replied, leaning her head against his shoulder, "Do you think I've caught a virus or maybe it was something I ate...?"

"You don't have a temperature. Plus, we all ate the same things this week and you're the only one who's gotten sick." he noted as he tucked her into bed, "I'm going to call a doctor to check you out and cancel that appointment you had today with Nomura..."

"But...!" she cried, sitting up, "I can't miss it...!"

"Your health comes before everything else," he replied, turning for the door, "Don't be so stupid to give that up for a bunch of old guys. They can wait, this can't."

As he left, Ayame leaned her head back and sighed up at the ceiling. "Hai... but I still don't think there's anything wrong with me..."

So, the doctor came and checked over Ayame. When he was finished, he met with Yamazaki in the hall. "She's fine right now; the feeling comes and goes," the elderly doctor said as they walked outside to his car, "I didn't see any dangerous symptoms, but I would want more analysis. Call me again when its starts up."

"Thanks." Yamazaki replied, "It's a good thing you're just 10 miles away. I'll be sure to call you the next time we need you."

He watched as the car drove away. 'What could be the reason...?'

* * * * * * * * * *
On the train, Yoneda grew tired. The trip down to Sendai was long and he had too much sake. Leaning his head against the seat, he watched the windows and the dark scenery that passed. Several stars were shining in the night sky.

'Fuuaa... I wonder what those two are up to. I wonder what's Kazuma is doing.' He thought as sleepy eyes flickered, 'My family...'

Yoneda fell asleep, dreaming about his younger years in the military -the years at war in Russia and anywhere else that he was transferred to. One by one, he watched his friends die. It happened so often he almost forgot to cry. Walking across the memory of a snow-filled field and dead bodies all around, Yoneda fought against the sadness and kept moving.

'Why was I always the only one left...? Why... why...?'

* * * * * * * * * *
Yamazaki worked into the night on breaking down the plans taken from the Kanzaki plant. 'I have enough evidence that this invention will fail so I could bring it up at the next meeting. I just need to test it out - hmm... maybe I could make a smaller model. But who would help me...?'

For that brief moment, he thought about his two assistants, Tanaka and Rika - who died in the accident. 'They were going to get married a week after the presentation...' he thought, feeling a bit sad, 'We worked together on the spirit armor prototype... those times we had were okay. Even though both of them were a bit negative about it... and they argued so much... and one of them might've been having affair...' The sadness left his mind. 'Well, at least they're together anyway... now where was I...?'

Before he could find his place in his notes, his door went flying open and slammed close. "Ayame?" he gasped, sitting up and staring in awe at the girl in her blue nightgown, "What are you doing here??"

Without a word, Ayame climbed under the blanket and popped up next to him. A long pause followed. Yamazaki shrugged and put away his notes, going to switch off the lamp.

"Oyasumi," he said, going to lie on his side, his back to her.

It was quiet for a long time. He closed his eyes and tried to sleep, but he could tell that she was still awake. Soon, he felt her clinging to his shirt, the warm feeling pressed up against him.

"What's the matter?" he finally asked, "You don't feel well again??"

"No..." she replied, "I had another bad dream..."

He chuckled and turned around to face her, his eyes adjusted to the dark so he could now see her. "What did you do when I wasn't around? Did you climb into bed with Shirei?"

"Shhh," She leaned her head into his chest. "Every night, the dreams keep getting worse... You're the only one who makes them go away..."

"Is that so? I didn't think I possessed that kind of power. Does this mean you'll be staying here every night??"

"Be quiet..." she said, her voice drifting off, "Just hold me..."

He eventually did as told. "Ayame..." he whispered as he watched her slowly fall asleep and ran a hair through her long hair, "I'll make them go away once and for all... I promise I'll do my best... Just sleep and not worry about a thing..."

Stifling a yawn, he knew he had lots of things to do if he wanted to keep this promise. Over the top of her head, he gazed towards the music box that took him an entire night to make. 'Tomorrow morning, I'll start...'

* * * * * * * *
But morning came rather suddenly. Yamazaki's eyes flickered open. Tiredly lifting his head, he looked around the sun-filled room.

'Strange... I don't feel like I slept at all. Is it morning already?'

He turned to see that the space next to him was empty. "Ayame?" he uttered, getting up and pulling on a sweater. Yawning, he looked around the room and saw a letter on the desk. After reading the contents, he crumpled it up - his eyes narrowing as he tossed it aside. 'Dammit!'

* * * * * * * *
Yoneda ignored the calls outside his door and continued to hide in his futon. 'It's cooooold!! There's no way I'm getting out this! I don't care if they cook a feast out there... It's too damn cold to move!'

"Yoneda-san," said the worried Gontaro, "Are you unwell??" He had no idea that this city guy wasn't used to the climates, even though he had spent a long time in even colder places like Russia. But looking at the mound, Gontaro thought that maybe Yoneda was having stomach pains. 'He did drink that entire bottle of whiskey with the master last night...'

Yoneda face popped out of the blanket. "Tell them I'll come out when it's officially springtime... gaah, I think my legs are numb."

"Your breakfast will be waiting on the table. Please come when you're ready." Gontaro then left, still oblivious to Yoneda's problem.

Yoneda finally climbed out and changed - putting on several layers of sweaters as he came outside. He saw that Kazuma was still waiting for him, that Wakana and his mother had gone off to do their chores and Sakura ran off to go play with Takeshi.

"Yo! Did you sleep well last night?" Kazuma asked as his friend sat across from him, "I'll pour you a drink. You don't look so well."

"Thanks..." Yoneda said, shivering as he accepted the cup. "I forgot yesterday..." He dug in his pockets and produced the letter. "It's from Ayame-kun."

"I see." Kazuma took the letter and read it, his expression not really changing. "That's what she meant... I should have known..."

"Kazuma, I want to know what you think you're doing. These past weeks, I've been silent but I can't take it anymore. The girl's confused enough already; are you trying to make it worse??"

"I wouldn't do such a thing on purpose. I had no idea about her feelings. My one concern was making sure that she doesn't..." His voice trailed off as he got up and walked over to the door, looking outside at his wife who was leaving to go buy groceries. "You know her power is increasing. It has tripled according to the tests."

"I know... what's going to happen to her?"

"If we're not careful, those spirits will try to manifest her. The person or persons that she's devoted all her feelings to - they're the only one who could control her."

Yoneda slammed his drink down on the table and got up. "Is that why you let Yamazaki go?!" He wouldn't answer, but continued to watch the kids play with a paper ball. "KAZUMA! Answer me!"

"I was following orders," he finally replied, "They didn't want one person to control such a power. They'd rather have Ayame-kun killed than risk having her turn against us."

"She would never turn against us! Damn them for even considering it! And was that fair to release Yamazaki on that reason, rather than keeping from him that you knew that that accident was sabotage?!"

"You knew too..."

"That's because you told me!" Yoneda exclaimed, "How could you do that to him, Kazuma?! It really ate him up inside after what happened... How could you?"

Kazuma lowered his head, the wind blowing in his hair. "I wanted him to go..."

* * * * * * * *
In his temporary office in Tokyo, Nomura was arguing on the phone with someone. "You idiot! Didn't I pay you enough?! That problem is back and threatening my project - finish him off!"

"Hai hai," replied the voice on the other line, "I did my best. Besides, if I did finished him off, would you have gotten those plans like you do - would you even have a test subject or a project to begin with?"

"I don't like how Kanzaki keeps taking interest in him. I want him out of the picture now, Yagami!"

"I sense a bit of jealousy... Well, I'll see what I can do. Don't get so worked up about it... Ja na!"

Outside the office, the janitor had stopped his mopping to press his ear against the door and eavesdrop. But he backed away when he heard rushing from the other end of the hall. "Sir!!" they yelled, barging into the room, "There's been a security breach!"

"Why didn't you take care of it?" Nomura snapped, running out of his office, "Who the hell is it?" He skidded to a stop to see Yamazaki standing in the hallway while other guards pulled at him. 'I should've known...' Before the two could say anything, an alarm went off. "Now what?" Nomura grumbled.

One of his assistants came running from the stairs, "We're having some problems downstairs! Hurry!"

"I think I better come along," Yamazaki noted, running for the stairs before anyone could stop him.

'Dammit! Why is here here?!' Nomura thought, he and everyone else rushing after him, 'Where is that Yagami when you need him!? This bastard's going to mess up everything!!'

"What happened?!" Yamazaki asked, going up to the bewildered scientists then eying over the smoking machinery. "No...!!" He shoved aside one of them and entered the steam-filled chamber. Ayame laid on the floor, sparks flickering all around her. "I knew something like this would happen - Someone get a doctor!!"

"Shousa..." she uttered, looking up at him as he brought her over to a chair and put his coat her, "What are you doing here?"

"What are you doing here? Didn't I tell you that you should be looking after your health?? Do you think these bastards care what happens to you??"

"Get this guy out of here!" Nomura yelled to the guards, "He's disrupting our research..."

"Who cares about your research; It is not going to work."

"How dare you...!"

Yamazaki pulled out the plans from his pocket. "This spirit cannon has the same velocity of the Haja Kenryu attack, however unlike Shinguji-taisa's attack, you have no control of the spirit energy when it's released from the cannon. It will be contaminated the minute it's exposed to the negative spirit energy that Teito is already reeking with. Anything in its path will be destroyed, unlike Taisa's attack where he can guide it to what he wants. You will be risking people's lives if you go through with this..."

"What do you suggest we do then?" asked one of the assistants, "What if we connect the source directly?"

"If you do that, the source will be damaged by the continual exaction of energy. Because it takes over a minute to recover from such high power attacks..." he replied, looking at Ayame from over his shoulder, "I won't let you do such a thing."

"Where is your proof to all this?!" Nomura exclaimed, "And how did you get a hold of the plans?! What makes you think you can just come in here and throw out this absurd ideas?!"

"Hohohoho..." All heads turned towards the door where Kanzaki stood with Hanakoji and the General behind him. "Those are interesting theories you have there, Boy. I can't believe these geniuses didn't think it up. Although, I am curious where you got those plans..."

"I gave them to him," Hanakoji replied, everyone now looking at him, "I thought it would be a good idea to see what Shinnosuke-kun thought about this since it is solely based on his original research on 'spirit energy'." He then flashed a smile over to Yamazaki who looked very relieved to be saved by him.

"Yamazaki, what do you suggest we do if this cannon does not work in time??"

"Ore? I think we should develop the spirit armor, but I know we have a shortage of time... Still, if we get more people with the ability to fight, we don't have to worry about it..."

Kanzaki patted him on the shoulder. "I want to hear more. Next meeting, please show up prepared and next time, invited." He then laughed and went on his way.

"Thank you." Yamazaki bowed his head as the group left the room. He also noted the glare from Nomura as he passed him. He went over and helped Ayame up. "Come on, let's get out of here..."

* * * * * * * * *
Back at the house, Ayame wouldn't talk to him. She disappeared the moment he took his eyes off her. 'I don't have time to worry about this... I've got work to do...'

He went into his room and started on his model and his notes, getting prepared for next time he faced Nomura. He knew he couldn't let this cannon be passed by the military - he felt something bad would happen if he did.

'I can't afford to mess this time, I know I'll lose Ayame or watch more people die if I do... Tousan, I hated you so much, but now I finally understand you...'

Absorbed in his work, he didn't realize that Ayame had come into his room. It wasn't until she opened the music box did he lift his head and look towards her as the tune softly played in the air.

"Why did you interfere? So what if you prove that this cannon won't work? What makes you think that you'll be able to come up with a better solution in time?"

"Stupid, don't you see I'm trying. Why are you being so cynical??"

"I only learned it from you," she replied, as he got up and walked over to her. "I already know the dangers involved with this project, but I'm going to see it through because it'll..."

"Save Teito?" he said, finishing that thought, "Or is it because you think that Taisa won't use the Majinki if this cannon works? Are you willing to throw your life away because of that?"

"What do you know? You don't care what happens to Teito. You said so yourself that you wouldn't sacrifice for anything. Why are you even here if you feel that way?"

"For you!" he exclaimed, "I was enjoying a peaceful life and trying to get myself back together after that incident - but I thought you needed me so I came back... You're the reason!"

"I didn't ask you to come!" she snapped, "You're just getting in the way... of everything!"

"Is that why you sent Kaede-kun away!?" he snapped back, "Are you going to push me away like you did to her? Ayame, is it really that important for you to die fighting the demons?! Do you love Teito and Taisa more than us?!"

"Shut up!" Ayame tearfully exclaimed, "You don't understand! My duty has nothing to do with Taichou! Feelings don't matter on the battlefield - all what matters is getting the job done!"

"How could you be so stupid?! You're just being used to buy time!"

Yamazaki was so angry he knocked the music box off the table - the music finally stopping. Ayame stared at the shattered porcelain and the photograph that was among the pieces. She quickly ran out of the room, choking back a sob.

'Ayame...'

* * * * * * * * *
"I couldn't go after her... I should've... but I didn't." Yamazaki sighed hours later. He had left the house and brought his work over to the inn where Miroku was staying. "I guess we finally said what was really on our minds, and it was too much for the both of us."

"You two sound like an arguing married couple. Very very interesting..." Miroku replied as she poured him another cup of tea, "But do you really think its okay for you to be here??"

He was oblivious to what she meant, but went on to pick up some tools. "I needed someone to help me. Could you solder these wires for me?"

"Hai!" she said, taking his seat as he paced around and sipped his mug. "Shinnosuke-kun, what exactly are these things anyways??"

"I'm building a smaller model that'll prove that what Nomura's doing is a mistake. I know what I'm doing, so don't worry. I have enough data on Taisa's attack, Ouka Hosshin, to support it and the results from the testing I did on the air toxins a couple of months ago..."

Miroku yawned. "Don't you sleep? It's already 1am in the morning. I think you should take a break from all this theorizing."

"You might be right. But, we're just about done. And I want to present this as soon as I can. I'll show them all, including Ayame..."

"Isn't she the reason you're doing this??" Miroku asked, watching him stumble to a stop, "It's hard to remember when you get all worked up. But, all humans are weak when it comes to love, ne? We all need comfort... From somewhere, from anyone..."

"So you think she was just using me?"

"Possible... But, don't let that get in your way. You can keep your feelings, what does it matter what she feels. After all, there's little difference between selfishness and love."

"I get it." Yamazaki put down the mug and fell into a cushioned chair. "You know, I think I'm starting to feel tired. Is it all right if I take a short nap?" She nodded and handed him a blanket. "Thanks, Miroku-san..."

She smiled. "Oyasumi, Shinnosuke-kun."

* * * * * * * * *
In Sendai, Yoneda lay awake in his futon thinking about his conversation with Kazuma earlier that day…

"Sonna baka na..." he uttered, facing his friend, "Don't tell me this whole time, you..."

"Yamazaki didn't belong with the butai and we were trying to get rid of him, without him finding out. Ayame-kun was supposed to be his replacement." Kazuma explained, "I did my best to appear on his side so he wouldn't get hurt, but I didn't expect him to stay for so long."

"So all those things you said to him - about 'believing in him and his ideas'... that was just talk?! Kazuma, I never knew you were capable of such dishonesty!"

"I was asked to. I was just doing my job." he replied, "Part of me wanted to believe him - perhaps just to disillusion reality. He brought a little hope to our team, but it's not enough. He wasn't strong enough for the fight and the military didn't want him out there."

"But the kid looked up to you! How could you just lie to him?!"

Kazuma lowered his head. "I did what a parent would do to their child - I kept the ugly truth from him... It was for his own good."

"He's not a child! He doesn't need you to protect him! And, what about your promise not to use to Majinki - 'that we'll win it in our own way'? Was that just words as well?!"

"I don't know," he replied, leaning against the railing, "I don't know what our 'own way' is. I've always followed orders and I plan on doing so for the rest of my life. It's the only way I know. As for the Majinki, I don't see any use of it. It won't end the war."

"Kazuma..."

The man's eyes saddened as he gazed off into the distance. "The Majinki doesn't put an end to the demons. It just starts everything all over again. It's a cycle that won't ever end..."

Yoneda moved next to him, going to look to see what he was staring at, but he couldn't find it. "Kazuma... you need hope. You can't think about dying. I'm going to do all I can without turning back - but looking ahead. Hope is the only force that's pushing me on."

Kazuma didn't answer. This silence told Yoneda that he had already made a decision in his mind what he was going to do when the time came.

'But was it really a decision of his own? That fool...'

Yoneda lifted up the letter that Kazuma had given him to give to Yamazaki. It was a letter that told him a confession of all that Kazuma had kept from him and an apology. Why an apology was added, Yoneda didn't know, because Kazuma didn't feel any regret about what he did.

'Perhaps the one regret he did have was causing confusion in Ayame-kun's heart. He really did have no idea that the girl loved him. And he was relieved that she had wrote to him that she no longer had any feelings for him, and that she would never consider it ever again. Still... I wonder if Yamazaki knows this or if this is all true...'

Yoneda shut off the lights, gazing off into the dark. He wondered if he was going to watch his friends slip away and if he would be the last one. `Please don't let me be left behind… This time… let it end…'

* * * * * * * *
"Ara, ara..." Miroku mumbled, going to the door, "Who is knocking at this hour??" She opened it a crack and peered out into the hall. "Hai? What do you want, Ojousan."

"Is Yamazaki-shousa there?"

"Who are you??"

"Who are you???"

'Masaka...' the two of them thought, staring at each other, 'This woman is...!'

Before they could say anything, Yamazaki woke up and got up from the chair, stumbling over to the door. "What's going on? It's 4am in the morning... who the hell is it??" He stopped and blinked in surprise. "A-Ayame..."

"Shousa, I've been looking all over for you." Ayame explained, showing no effort to come inside, "It's Hanakoji-hakusaku... he collapsed last night after his meeting with Kyougo-gensui. He refused to go to the hospital so they brought him back to his house and the doctors are continuing to check on him. He keeps asking for you."

"I understand," he replied, turning back to get his shoes and coat.

Miroku leaned over to Ayame, "It's not what you think. The kid came over to work on his project and fret about your argument. I'm just here for moral support."

"I'm sure," Ayame replied, eying the woman who was wearing a silk robe and reeked with cigarette smoke, "I wanted to meet you, Hasokawa-san. I've always wanted to thank you for looking after Yamazaki-shousa."

"Ohohoho, don't mention it. It was a fun experience for me. Still I wish I knew how you figured out he was here though."

"I had feeling that he came to see you and I saw the name of this inn on the memo that you wrote him."

"Maa… Aren't you a little detective??"

Yamazaki pushed past them and into the hallway. "Miroku-san, please look after the model. I'll come back for it. Let's get going, Ayame!"

"There's cab waiting outside for us." she replied, going on ahead of him.

During the ride, Yamazaki stared towards the side of her face. She continued to ignore him and gaze out the window, emotionally shattered from their argument earlier and what had happened to Hanakoji. Slowly he put his arm around her - going to comfort her, as that was all he could think about.

'Because we won't give up what we love... Because we're all selfish...'

* * * * * * * * * * * *
Next chapter: "Four empty glasses"

It's sad it had to end like this. It couldn't go on forever. We were strong as a team, but now we're falling apart and going our separate ways. After fighting for so long, I guess it's hard to remember who are the real enemy. The Tai Kouma Butai has officially disbanded and I'm the only one left. It makes you wonder if all of this was worth it. I'm be waiting here with my sake until you figure it out.


onto ch12
back to ch10