Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
sakura taisen was created by Ooji Hiroi-sensei; this fanfiction series was by JillM, posted 12/12/01; updated august 18 2002

notes: removed scene of Kazuma & Yoneda's conversation (from OVA2, ep.5). also, a reference from an earlier chapter.

Taishou Love Story: Final
Chapter 13: Photograph


Kazuma sat in a dim office, looking over a map of Tokyo. Already the general in charge of the capitol's military defense was informing him of the upcoming mission. "It will be the first time we will be on the offensive side, and I need everything to go right."

"So, the site in Ginza where our old headquarters was... it's become a breeding ground for demons..."

"We've tested the air toxins that were implanted there the last time - it's stronger than the other cases, but it has adapted the environment to grow the eggs. We admit we wouldn't have known so much about the demons, if not for your group. However, this time we won't need you on the front."

"What is the reason?"

"We've already experimented and discovered that demon eggs can be killed with normal ammunition. That way, our men will take care of this part. However... we will need a diversion."

"I see... Is this why you brought us back? Are we just bait?"

"You know the enemy has a strong attraction to your members, especially Fujieda. And you know only your type can fight them..."

"'Type'... What do you mean by that???"

"Oh, you know what I mean. Besides, we won't leave you completely on your own. If worse comes to worse, we still have the Spirit Cannon."

"Baka na! I thought that project was abandoned! We can't use that!"

"Would you rather use the Majinki?" the general snapped, "No, you wouldn't... We won't let you. Shinguji; you're the most valuable soldier we have. There's no way we'll give you up. You understand?"

Kazuma crossed his arms. "If the demons hatch, no doubt they will spread out of Teito and take over the country..."

He closed his eyes, thinking about how the demons could eventually reach and attack Sendai. 'Otousamaa!!!' cried Sakura's voice in his mind.

"Iya! I can't let this happen!"

"I knew you'd understand. By the way, here some additional orders: I want you to report any disobedience from the other members of the Tai Kouma Butai. I don't want any trouble you know... especially from that Yamazaki."

"Yamazaki has done many things for us - don't you dare degrade him!"

"You know how he hates all of us! I wouldn't be surprised if he'd turn against Teito! You keep an eye on him and make sure he stays in his place!"

Kazuma gritted back his anger. He couldn't talk back anymore to a higher ranked officer. "U-Understood..."

"One more thing..." the general went into the desk and took out a gun. "We are aware of the changes happening in Fujieda. The only reason we're keeping her is because she has the potential of becoming as useful as you are. However, if for any reason she shows signs of turning against us, I advise you do the right thing..."

"I... I cannot do that..." Kazuma uttered as the gun was placed in front of him, "I won't do it!!"

"Would you rather have the girl become a demon? Would you rather have my men shoot at her from all directions? If you care about the girl at all, you won't let her suffer like that! You've got to do what's right for her, for everyone!"

Kazuma backed away from the desk, sickened in his stomach. But as he turned to leave, he grabbed the gun. He then went out and slammed the door close.

* * * * * * * * *
Sitting in the cab, Kazuma gazed at the photograph in his hand. 'What are they doing now...' he sighed to himself, looking at the smiling faces of his wife and his child.

He remembered the night before he left, the heart-wrenching feeling of watching his own daughter cry herself to sleep. Over and over he reassured her that he still loved her and her mother, and him leaving didn't mean he wasn't coming back.

"Otousama..." she sniffled into her blanket, trying to hide her face, "I understand... I'll try to be stronger... Demo..."

"Sakura..." He leaned down and kissed her forehead. "Go to sleep, my angel..."

"Un... I'll try... Good night, Otousama..."

After making sure she fell asleep, Kazuma went out into the hall and stood outside his wife's room. He knew she was upset at him for the short notice and then for thanking him for all that she had done, as if he was dismissing her from the position as his wife. He also heard that she had an argument with his mother earlier that day.

"Wakana... are you still awake?" he asked, since there weren't any lights on, "I know it's a bother at this late at night, but could I see you for a moment..."

The door slid open. "All your bags are packed, if that's what you wanted to know." she replied, "I made sure that Gonji moved them out to the front hall so it would be easier to load in the morning. And I will be responsible in making sure Sakura-san will be up and ready in time to come."

"It's not that," he insisted, reaching over to touch her cheek, "I wanted to spend some time with you. Please?"

"Ka-Kazuma-san..." she stammered as he moved to hug her, "I wasn't going to do anything, but sleep. And I'm not sleepy, so I guess we could stay for a little while and talk..."

"Aa, let's go out on the balcony. It's a little cool outside, but I'll keep you warm." he replied, going to put his arm around her, "We don't have to separate until tomorrow, you know."

"Hai... not until that train whistle blows..."

Kazuma's eyes flickered open. Outside, he had heard the whistle of a train passing by on a nearby track. His sad eyes fell again at the photograph. 'This is what matters most...'

* * * * * * * * * * * *
The cab dropped him off in Asakusa, where the hidden base that had recently opened was located. After he paid the fare, he turned and saw someone emerge from the building. "Ya-Yamazaki!"

"Taisa!!" the young man chimed. He ran over and leapt at the startled guy, giving him a big hug, "I'm so glad you're here!"

"Y-You are??"

"Those guys are driving me nuts! It's good to see another sane person!" Yamazaki slowly realized what he was doing and pulled away, coughing. "Sumimasen... At any rate, let me take your bags. There's a party waiting for you, so hurry inside."

"Hai..." Kazuma uttered as he went inside. 'Why is Yamazaki happy to see me? Surely the letter would have...'

His best friend then came out. "Yo! You finally got here, as I predicted. That was an interesting reunion wasn't it??"

"Yoneda, didn't you give my letter??"

"You mean that death confession, like hell! The kid thinks the world of you. It's your turn to make it up to him. Think of it as a second chance."

"You don't know how difficult it was coming back here, thinking that Yamazaki would hate me. I don't know if I could take it. We've gotten so close... for it to end like this..."

"Hey! Don't talk about the end right now! You've got a party in your honor going on inside!" Yoneda scolded. He grabbed Kazuma by the arm and dragged him through the door. "Just forget about all that nonsense!"

'We have to move on from it. Still I...'

* * * * * * * * * *
In the cafeteria, Ayame and some soldiers were decorating. When she saw Yoneda come in with Kazuma, she came rushing over (with the soldiers following her of course). "Taisa! Okaeri nasai!"

"A-Aa..." he stammered, worried she might hug him too. But she just stopped in front of him, smiling. "It's good to see you again."

"Same here, Taisa. Did you have a nice train ride?"

He nodded his head slowly. While she went on to introduce him to everyone, he thought about the special orders he had been given. He could feel the bulk of the gun in his coat against his chest. 'Ayame-kun...'

"Everyone's here," Yamazaki noted, bringing the trays of food to the table, "Let's all dig in."

"Yoshi! Let's party!" Yoneda chimed, carrying several bottles of sake over, "There's even some tea for this guy."

They gathered around the table, Yoneda pouring the sake and Ayame passing out the dishes. Kazuma sat there quietly, watching the soldiers try to flirt with the girl and Yoneda slowly get drunk.

"Dame desu!" Ayame laughed, surrounded by admirers, "I already have someone..." She looked across the table towards Yamazaki, who was drinking his tea and not paying attention to her. She decided to get his attention by kicking his leg. Immediately, he spilled his tea and started choking. "Oops! Shousa!"

"Whatever is wrong with you??" Yoneda snapped, going to pound him on the back. "Oi oi!! Told you tea was bad for you!"

"Sumimasen!" Ayame got up from her seat and gave him a napkin. "I'll go make you more tea." She ran off to the kitchen.

Yamazaki stopped choking and went after her. "What's the big idea?" he asked, while she got the water to boil, "You almost killed me over there."

"Gomen!" She slowly stared back into the pot at the water. "Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something... now that Shinguji-taisa has returned..."

"Oh?" He suddenly felt uneasy. "W-What is it??" The two of them nervously faced each other.

Meanwhile, Kazuma left the table to check on them. When he got to the kitchen he heard Ayame say, "I kissed Taisa the day you returned."

"EH?!" both Kazuma and Yamazaki gasped at the same time. They looked at each other in surprise, then back at Ayame.

Ayame bowed her head. "I'm sorry to hide this from you until now, but I was afraid Taisa would confess it and take the blame on himself. It was really my fault."

'No!!' Kazuma thought in his head, 'It was my fault! What is she doing??!'

Yamazaki's shocked expression turned to the usual expression he wore, one of annoyance. "You mean, you made me spill my tea just to tell me that?? I figured you'd fret about something as pointless as this."

"Pointless??"

"Stupid, it's just a kiss - you can kiss anyone. It doesn't matter to me." he said with a shrug, "Besides, I can't even remember what day I came back; how am I supposed to feel upset over a day that didn't happened in my mind?"

"I-I remember it..." Ayame stammered, not sure if she was relieved that he didn't seem to care about this, "Shousa, I'm still sorry about it."

"Don't be. You're just making it harder on yourself. But I'm glad you finally decided to be honest with me." He momentarily gazed over at Kazuma and turned for the door. "I'll be outside..."

Kazuma wanted to go after him, but Ayame came in the way. "Taisa... I will still respect you, but this is the last favor I will do for you."

"Eh? Ayame-kun...?"

"I'm not going to abuse Yamazaki-shousa's trust in me. Understand?" She walked towards him, her eyes burning with determination. "You read my letter - you know I've outgrown those feelings for you. Knowing this, please don't try anything on me ever again. This is my last warning."

"I-I understand." He felt surprised by her boldness, but also relieved. "Do not worry. I won't ever cross that line again. When I left here, I finally realized what was most important to me and I wouldn't dare do anything to harm them in anyway. I guess we both realized that."

Ayame nodded her head. "Now that's decided - let's go party!" She took the tray of tea and they went out and joined everyone else.

* * * * * * * * * *
As the party carried on, Ayame found it more and more difficult to get close to Yamazaki. He had confined himself on the other end of the table with the old guys while admirers constantly surrounded her. 'Mou, why doesn't he do anything?'

"Hey!" Yoneda started yelling. Yamazaki gulped down two of the small white bottles of sake and was looking a little pale. "You okay???"

"Aa, Shirei..." Swinging back and forth, he put on a dazed smile. "I'm happy~!"

"Oh, check out happy-boy over there! Looks like he can't hold his drink!" chuckled the soldiers. Ayame just got up and left them. They were very unhappy and begged her to come back, but she was worried about Yamazaki.

"No wonder Yamazaki doesn't drink often," Kazuma said, scratching his head, "We should make sure he doesn't hurt himself..."

"Shousa!" Ayame tried to keep him still, but suddenly felt a sharp pain. 'Aaaaa!?' She released him and backed away from everyone. 'What's happening...?'

"What's wrong?" Kazuma asked, watching her kneel onto the floor, clutching at her head. Each of the glasses on the table shook and broke as the room started getting hotter by the minute. "W-What the?!!"

"UWAH!!" yelled the soldiers when they saw forms slowly appearing. One of them took out a gun and shot at the shadowy figures, but the bullets passed right through them and collided with the wall. "What the hell is going on here?!"

The forms were transparent, but Kazuma and Yoneda could see that there were the red-cloaked men that Ayame had described in her dreams. "How in the hell...?!" Yoneda gasped as he grabbed hold of his sword, "What should we do?"

"We can't let them take Ayame-kun!" But as Kazuma was still speaking, demons appeared on the table and leapt at them. He sliced through all of them with one swing, yet more were appearing in the room.

"Damn! They're coming fast!!" Yoneda cried as the two of them fought off the onslaught and the solders were retreating.

Ayame was rising to her feet. "I can't..." she uttered as she slowly lifted her head. Her hair flew around her face as she lifted off the floor. "I can't fight it anymore..." Her eyes turned red and lost the pupils. "IYAAAAAA!!" she exclaimed, clutching her head.

"AYAME-KUN!" Yoneda yelled as he and Kazuma pushed through the wall of demons. It was no use; they just couldn't get passed. "AYAME-KUN!!"

Suddenly, Yamazaki rose to his feet and started staggering towards her. "Ayame... Hey, what are you doing...? Come down from there..."

"Yamazaki! Stop!" Kazuma yelled, "You can't go any closer! It's not safe!" He could see the black energy rising around the girl. 'I have to choice. She's already changing... It's too late...!' He reached into his coat and fastened a grip on the gun, ready to pull it out. 'I'm sorry, Ayame-kun...!'

"Baka," Yamazaki snagged her by the wrist; the black energy flickered at his touch. Ayame turned her red eyes to him, reflecting his face. "Why do we have to fight? I'm tired... of fighting... *hic*..."

"Yama... zaki... shou... sa..." she tearfully uttered. He dizzily held out his arms and she floated down into them.

Everyone gathered around wondering if she had transformed, but when they saw her crying face they knew she was back. "Yokkata..." Yoneda noted. Kazuma nodded, going to remove his hand from his coat. The soldiers all sighed with relief.

"Ara?" Ayame realized that Yamazaki had passed out, as the arms went limp and the head leaned onto her shoulder. Holding onto him, she whispered in his ear, "It's okay, Yamazaki-shousa... We don't have to fight anymore..."

* * * * * * * * * * *
The next day, the Tai Kouma Butai met outside for a portrait in uniform, a gift from Hanakoji. As the photographer got the equipment ready, Ayame fixed Yamazaki's collar. "I have a head-ache..." he mumbled, "What happened last night anyways?"

"You had too much sake," she giggled, "You really are an interesting drunk, Shousa."

"Shut up!"

Kazuma watched from the side, thinking about what would have happened if he had followed his orders. He focused on Ayame's smiling face. 'Yamazaki is the only one who can keep her with us. I have to put my trust in him...'

Next to him, he noticed that Yoneda was trying to retrain his laughter. Wondering what the guy was up to, he moved into his spot next to Ayame. Ayame blinked, noticing she was between Yamazaki and Kazuma.

'I don't care, because I know the truth... Yamazaki-shousa holds my heart... Now and always...'

The photographer waved his hand as he ready the shutter. At the last minute, Yoneda leapt out front and made a horrible face. The shutter went off. "HEY!!" Yamazaki and Ayame exclaimed, "SHIREI!!"

Kazuma watched with amusement as the three got into a big argument. He then felt the droplets of rain coming down. "Damn!"

After helping the photographer pack up, and sulking over the fact that they couldn't have a retake, the Tai Kouma Butai decided what to do next.

"Let's head back to the base," Ayame said, "We can't do anything in this weather."

"Actually," Kazuma uttered, "I wanted to speak to Yoneda-chuujou about something. You two go on ahead."

"Okay, but..." She looked around; there wasn't any cover for miles. Then, Yamazaki ran over with three umbrellas he had bought from a vender. "Aa, Shousa! Arigatou!"

"We'll see you at the base," Yamazaki told the others as he opened an umbrella for him and Ayame to share. Kazuma stopped him with a hand to his shoulder. "Taisa...?"

"You take care of Ayame-kun..." he said, leaning over to his ear, "Only you can..."

"H-Hai..." Yamazaki said, slowly nodding. He then turned Ayame. "Let's go!"

Kazuma and Yoneda watched the two leave. When they had gone, Yoneda noticed the change of statement in his best friend's face. "Kazuma... what is it...?"

* * * * * * * * *
Later at the Asakusa hidden base, Ayame came out of the locker room to see a crowd outside in the hallway. "M-Minna?" She looked back and forth as she stuck her hands into the pockets of her sweatshirt. "What are you doing??"

"We've been waiting to use the toilet and bath, but that guy over there wouldn't let us in!" they complained as they rushed in, "Some of us really had to go!!"

"Shousa!" she exclaimed, turning to Yamazaki's grumbling face, "The locker room is open to everyone - I am not an exception!"

"Those perverts just wanted to have a look at you..."

Ayame blinked. "Ara? Is this a hint of possessiveness coming from you???"

"NO! I-I was just trying to keep it moderated. Besides, I didn't expect you to take so long in there..."

"You didn't have to wait. I mean, you already used the bath and you could've gone and done something else instead of wasting your time and everyone else's."

"Ayame, if waiting for you is a waste of time... then I'd gladly waste the time away for the rest of my life..."

"Shousa no baka..." she uttered, while blushing. Still, something was bothering her. "A-About that kiss with Taisa..."

He caught her hand in his and looked her in the eye. "I know you better than anyone, Ayame. You were just trying to protect Taisa. Since the incident in Yokohama, I decided that I wasn't going to doubt your faithfulness - I really believed you when you said you didn't want to kiss anyone else of your own free will. Therefore, I knew that you couldn't be the one to initiate it and that you'd be the one who would end anything going on..."

She blinked at him in surprise. "... You think you know everything!"

"I do!" he replied smugly while they stopped in front of the large windows to watch the rainfall. "Where could those two be??"

"I don't know. They should be back soon." Ayame replied, "I hope they didn't run into any trouble."

Yamazaki then remembered Kazuma's words when they left the park. 'Only you can - what did he mean...?' He put his arm around her, strangely wanting to get closer. "Ayame... I know you'd rather go and do something else instead of wasting your time, but I want you to stay here with me."

Ayame stared at his serious face for a moment, then slowly smiled. "Of course I'm not going anywhere." She leaned her head onto his shoulder, gazing at their reflection on the glass.

'Because of the truth... now and always...'

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Next Chapter 14: "Eyes of a Demon" (Part 1)

Contents on an envelope:

[Please do not open this letter until after our mission...]
Signed by Shinnosuke


onto ch.14
back to ch.12