Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Sakura Taisen was created by Ooji Hiroi; all rights reserved to Sega co., RED co., Bandai Visual; 1996-today
This fanfiction was created by JillM; original posting: October 10, 2001 updated august 17 2002

note: some mature stuff here. correct! Ayame should be about 17-18 years old at this point. and the character 'yagami shuichirou' is ficticious (i made him up) and his character is not based on what his name is based on (i just like playing with names). that's all for now.

Taisho Love Story: The final battle
Chapter 2: "Just us two"


‘It has been an entire week since Yamazaki-shousa returned with the Tai Kouma Butai. Nothing exciting has really happened as of yet. It’s just another ordinary day in Teito.’

Ayame sat at the window, enjoying the cool late afternoon breath, the wind chime going off in the background. Wearing a purple kimono, she started playing with her hair in the mirror. She had so much of it that she didn’t know what to do with it other than put it up in a ponytail. ‘Pigtails… nah…’

Suddenly, she heard a ruckus down the hallway. Getting up, she went to check it out. “Ano,” she uttered, standing in the doorway, “Taisa, is everything all right??”

Kazuma was scrambling to get his suitcase packed and was running around his room frantically. “I have to go… RIGHT AWAY!!” he exclaimed, “The next train for Sendai leaves in little of an hour…”

”D-Doushite??” Ayame asked, looking very confused.

“It’s my little angel… she’s gotten a cold!” He explained, handing her the telegram, “I have to hurry home and be with her!”

Ayame read its contents as Kazuma finished his preparations. “Sou desu ka. I hope Sakura-chan feels better. Don’t worry about a thing, Taisa. We’ll take care of things here. Just go and be with your daughter.”

”Arigatou,” Kazuma said, trying to calm down. He patted her on the shoulder and turned for the door, “I’m counting on all of you!”

Ayame smiled after him and waved. She slowly looked towards the dresser at the framed photograph of the Shinguji family. Little Sakura was hanging onto her father looking very happy. At her elbow was the beautiful wife. Ayame picked up at the photo and ran a hand through her hair, which was still down.

‘Someday, I want to have a family like that…’

* * * * * * * *
“W-What did you say??” Yamazaki peered over his book and stared towards the rushing Yoneda in front of him, “Don't get so worked up about it! Slow down, you might have stroke or something!”

“Shut up!!” Yoneda snapped, still pacing around the room in a nervous wreck, “You won’t believe when was the last time I had a date! I really like this woman!”

Yamazaki tried to muffle his laughter. “I didn’t know geezers were allowed to date. Isn’t there an age limit??” Yoneda walloped the boy on the head with his book and then frantically sprayed cologne all over himself. As Yamazaki struggled to breathe, he reached over and caught one of the bouquets from Ayame’s admirers. “Flowers are always good.”

”Aa! Flowers!!” Yoneda cried, accepting the dozen roses and ran a hair through his slick hair. “I think I’m ready… I should go… Don’t want to keep her waiting…”

“Go get her, Tiger.” Yamazaki chuckled, turning back to his book.

Yoneda nodded and turned for the door. “Don’t wait up for me, okay?? We’re going off to her vacation house outside of town, so… you know… ehehehehe!!”

”Go now, before you make me sick.” Yamazaki grumbled, hiding his blushing face behind the pages. Finally he heard the footsteps leave the room and the door close. Sighing with relief, he concentrated on the pile of books in front of himself. ‘Finally, peace and quiet…’

“Yamazaki-shousa~!” called Ayame, coming into the room. “What are you up to??”

“Ayame,” he uttered, turning to her cheerful face, “Just some reading. What about you??”

”I’m not doing anything,” she replied, sitting down next to him and playing with her ponytail, “Taisa just left. He had to hurry to Sendai; Sakura-chan has a cold.”

”Shirei just left,” he added, “He has a hot date with some lady he barely knows and they’re going to have a romantic evening in her summer cottage. Gross, huh??”

The two of them stopped and stared at each other, realizing that they were alone in the house. For the first time, it was just the two of them. Faces blushing, they quickly looked away and tried to do something else.

“A-Ano,” she uttered, fingering through her locks, “Shousa… I’ve wanted to ask you…”

Yamazaki suddenly got up and dropped his book. “I’m going for a walk.” he said, hastily going for the door, “I’ll be back later.”

Ayame watched as he got his coat and shoes and ran outside. Sighing, she sat down onto the floor and leaned her head down onto her knees. ‘Yamazaki-shousa…’

* * * * * * * *
Back in Yokohama, it was closing time at Kanzaki Industries. While the janitors cleaned up, Nomura went down a deserted hallway and into his office. When he turned on the lights, he was a little surprised to see a young man in a black tuxedo, sitting at his desk.

"You called me??" the young man asked, lighting a cigarette and putting his feet up, "Yagami Shuichirou at your service! What can I do for you?"

"This bastard," Nomura said, dropping a folder in front of him and showing his a picture, "Yamazaki Shinnosuke is your assignment."

"Yamazaki... Yamazaki..." Yagami repeated, running a hand through his slick black hair, "Where have I heard that name before... Aa! Wasn't his father...?"

"Hai hai, his father was my oldest rival and also another assignment for your organization," Nomura grumbled, "You succeeded there, so I'm sure you handle his snot-nosed brat too."

Yagami smiled peevishly and singed his cigarette on Yamazaki's photo. "Ten years ago, my Sensei succeeded with genius. Yamazaki's experiment gone wrong cost twenty lives including his best friend and pregnant sister... I wonder if I can match it. There's nothing more fun than driving a man to insanity."

"I'm sure a professional like you can do it. And this will be the reward for your pains." Nomura said, dropping and a stack of cash onto the table.

Yagami let out a puff and then eyed at the pile of money at his feet. "Cheh, is that all you're offering??" he mumbled as smoke filled the room, “I am a professional.”

Nomura reached into his coat and took out a photograph. "That's his girlfriend, Fujieda Ayame."

This immediately got Yagami's attention. Taking the photo he stroked the image with his fingertips. "Hmmm, it just got interesting..." he uttered, licking his lips, "So what do you want me to do??"

"I don't care what you do to the girl - but I want you to find out what Yamazaki's working on now and..." Nomura slammed his hand onto the desk, squishing a bug, "Ruin him."

"With pleasure," Yagami replied, turning back to the photograph of Ayame, "We'll be meeting very soon..."

* * * * * * *
Yamazaki arrived back at the house after a good hour of wandering up and down the block. Still feeling nervous, he stopped in the hallway and checked his pulse. ‘I better calm down. I don’t want to seem so obvious.’ Taking off his shoes, he noticed that many of the lights were off and the place had been locked up.

‘A note?’ He picked up the piece of paper that was left on the side table and read its contents. ‘Ayame…?’ Looking around one more time, he wondered where she was. “Ayame! I’m back!” he called, but there wasn’t an answer. ‘Hm… maybe she went to sleep.’

Climbing up the stairs, he looked down the hall and found the silence to be slightly alarming. ‘Maybe she got mad at you for something… Cheh, I’ll handle it in the morning.’ He then turned for his room and closed the door behind him. “A-Ayame??” he squeaked, realizing that she was in his room, “What do you want??”

Ayame, wearing her nightgown and her hair down, blushed at the floor. “I-I want us to get closer.”

Yamazaki slammed his hand into his forehead. “NO!! You get back into your room this instant! Just because the no one is around, doesn’t mean we throw all common sense out the window! I respect you too much!”

”But!!” she exclaimed, latching onto his arm, “Yamazaki-san…”

His face went red. “Ayame…” Slowly he raised his hand to hers and pried them off his arm. “My mother was your age when she had me and she called it the biggest mistake of her life. Don’t ruin your life like she did…”

”How can you say such a thing!” she cried, cupping his face with both hands, “Yamazaki-shousa, I’ve never felt so strongly about someone before… I love you.”

The blue eyes widened at these words and his mouth fell open. Yamazaki gazed at her, shocked and speechless, but mostly dumbstruck by her confession.

“You don’t believe me?” she asked, leaning in closer to try to understand his reaction, “I mean it, every word. Please say you believe me and that you’ll accept my love.”

”It’s just… no one has ever said that to me,” he uttered, as he slid down to his knees with her coming down with him, “Not even my own parents… I thought no one could ever…”

”Shousa!” Ayame threw her arms around his neck and kissed him a couple of times. “I do! I love you!!”

”Ayame…” Yamazaki gazed into her face intensely and then pulled her to him. Holding onto her, he tried to keep the tears from escaping his eyes but couldn’t. As hearts continued to pound, Yamazaki finally gave in...

* * * * * * *
On the train to Sendai, Kazuma gazed out the window in distress. ‘Sakura…’ He could image the little girl lying at home in her futon, calling for her Otou-sama as the temperature kept rising. ‘Don’t worry, my little angel… Daddy’s coming home!’

While he was concentrating on the dark scenery, something caught his attention. There were transparent armies of demons moving in the forest. Standing, Kazuma gazed at the masses and pressed his hands against the window. But in a flash they were all gone.

‘Sonna… all of it was true… The final battle is going to happen. I feel it… Everything in Teito… but, Sakura…’ Clenching his eyes close, Kazuma knew he had to make a decision, sooner or later.

* * * * * * * *
Ayame slowly opened her eyes. She was lying under a blanket in the dark room, but noticed that there was a small light. Sitting up and saw Yamazaki working in the corner with a flashlight. Easing herself up from the futon, she put on her robe and walked over to him.

"What are you doing?" she asked, putting her hands onto his shoulders, "It's 3am in the morning."

"Oh," He turned towards her and blushed, "I suddenly had the urge to work on this. Sorry if I woke you."

"Iie," she replied, settling down next to him and leaning against his chilled skin. She listened to him try to calm down; both of them feeling their hearts beat faster at the remembrance what had happened between them. "Shousa..."

"A-ano... how are you feeling??" he stammered, putting down his tools and lifting an arm around her, "I mean, was it... you know..."

"Daijoubu," she uttered, taking his hand, "It's all right. Everything will be all right from here on."

He closed his eyes for a moment and let out a sigh, "That's what you always say. This time I'll believe it."

"Can I help?" she asked, looking down at the mesh of wires on a circuit board, "I don't know much about this, but I can do something for you."

"Could you hold the light while I solder these wires?" he asked, handing her the flashlight, "Also, keep the plans visible."

"Hai!" she replied cheerfully, going to do as told. As Yamazaki worked, she watched him closely, the intense look of concentration - the same he wore as he held her in his arms. "Shousa..."

"Aa... Nan da?"

"I still love you… I’ll always love you… until the day I die.”

”Ayame, I love you too, but…” He slowly turned away and tried to get back to what he was doing. Ayame, persistent on hearing the rest of his words, moved the light out of the way. “Ayame…” he sighed, giving up on the invention and taking her hands, “I don’t want you to think that way. I don’t want you to waste your life…”

”What?!” she gasped, “Waste my life??”

He just pulled her into another embrace. “It’s not worth it. Someday you’ll understand…”

Just then, the sound of bells was heard outside. The two of them stopped and moved to the window, the sight of flames in the distance. “Oh no! An attack!” Ayame gasped, clutching at her robe.

Yamazaki turned on the lights and started to put on a pair of pants, “Ayame! Hurry up and get ready! Looks like we have to fight this alone! Hayaku!”

”H-Hai!” she cried, scrambling out of the room. ‘The battles have started again… demo…’ She looked back to see Yamazaki still looking for a shirt. ‘I’m not afraid… Yamazaki-shousa is with me…’

* * * * * * * *
“Hold on tight, okay?” Yamazaki said, as they got on his motorbike. Ayame nodded and hugged his waist, leaning her face against his back. He then sped down the empty street towards the disaster. “It’s been a while since I’ve seen you in uniform." he uttered, watching her from the rear view mirrors, "I-It looks good on you.”

”Arigatou,” she uttered, realizing that he was trying to start up a conversation to hide his nervousness, “It'll be all right, Shousa.” He slowly nodded and then concentrated on the road.

They arrived at the scene and saw that there was military backup around. “YO!!” the spiky haired Commander Takamura called, waving his hands over at them, “Long time no see, Tai Kouma Butai! Looks like the bastards decided to bug us again. We’ll kick their asses right??”

”Saa…” Yamazaki uttered as he and Ayame rushed to the front lines, “We’re all that’s here. The other members are preoccupied.”

”We won’t fail.” Ayame insisted, holding up her sword and ready to go, “You can count on us.”

”Guess I have no choice,” Takamura chuckled, scratching his mustache, “You’re all we got, so you better do what you do best. Please take care. We already cleared out most of the people and blocked off the streets. It’s up to you now.”

”Ryokai!”

Running down the street, Ayame and Yamazaki smiled at each other. They had no fear at all. Drawing their swords, they collided with the wave of demons erupting out from a crack in the ground. “HAAAAAAA!!!” Dismembered parts of the creatures went flying as blade met flesh. Ayame shook the blood off her sword and prepared for more. Through the slaughter, she could see the host rising from the ground. “It’s mine!” she gasped, her legs getting prepared to leap at it.

Yamazaki put his hand on her arm. “No, let’s do it together.” Ayame slowly smiled and nodded, the two of them turning for the massive demon coming out to them. Leaping up at the same time, they skewered the beast and destroyed it’s core. After a mighty blast the two went flying back and hit the ground. Yamazaki caught her and used himself to soften her fall. All of the demons dropped dead in the heaps of steaming remains.

“D-Daijoubu?” Ayame asked, lying on top of him. He weakly nodded, going to take off one of his gloves and touch her face. Reaching for a kiss, they had to pull back when they heard whistles and dogs approaching them.

“OI!! DAIJOUBU KAI?!” Takamura and his troops asked, arriving on the scene to put out any existing flames. They skidded to a stop and stared at the couple. “Oh shet…”

”W-We're okay!” Yamazaki said, quickly distancing himself from the red-faced Ayame.

Takamura grinned at them. “Well done, Tai Kouma Butai!”

* * * * * * *
Yamazaki and Ayame returned to headquarters, but couldn’t go back to sleep. They spent the rest of the morning, listening to records and chatting over tea. By 8 Am, they heard the door. “Taisa…” Ayame uttered, seeing that it was Kazuma that came in, “You’re back all ready? Is Sakura-chan better now?”

”I don’t know,” Kazuma sighed, “As soon as the train reached Sendai, I got on a train back here because I felt that Teito would be attacked.”

”It was, but Shousa and I handled it.” Ayame replied, “You really didn’t have to…”

Kazuma shrugged and accepted a teacup from Yamazaki. “What’s done cannot be undone. I should have trusted you two more. Sorry.”

”Don’t worry about it, Taisa,” Yamazaki insisted, as he offered the tired man a place to sit, “You can count on us. We won’t let demons overrun the city.”

”Arigatou…” he said, smiling warmly at the two. He watched as Yamazaki sat back down and Ayame came over and hug him from behind, reading the morning newspaper over his shoulder. “Something seems different… Did something happen when I was gone??”

”N-Nothing happened!” they stammered, turning bright red. Suddenly the door went flying open again. “UWAAAAH!” they gasped, both of them getting a good jump.

Yoneda stumbled into the room, looking intoxicated but without the alcohol. “Aaaaa~! Love~!” he sighed, dancing around the room, “Love~!”

While this was going on, Kazuma turned back towards the laughing couple that joined with Yoneda’s early morning antics. ‘Something did happen… I’m happy for those two… But I feel like time is running out…’

* * * * * * * *
At the train station, Yagami walked out into the street and picked up a newspaper. He saw an article about how the Tai Kouma Butai saved the Shibuya district last night. Lighting up a cigarette, he tipped his hat back and started down the sidewalk.

“Ayame-san, wait for me. We’re going to be good friends from here on…”

* * * * * * * * *
Next Episode: “The Proposal”
(Ayame’s letter)

Arigatou gozaimasu for all your kind deeds. I never thought that a kind man as yourself could exist. I am forever at your debt. For the meantime, please accept this small token of my thanks. In the future, I will continue to repay you for your overwhelming kindness, Shuichirou-san.


onto ch3
back to ch1