Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Notes: I am very sorry about the delay. Guess I needed a vacation ^_^. Oh, I went to this magical place called Belfair, where you could walk down the beach, pick up an oyster, and eat it. I was very happy...

Er, uh, anyways! I will end this series soon (hopefully) in 1 or 2 more chapters. Just to let you know, I have not even begun the next chapter. This one has been sitting on the computer for a bit, so I will just run the spell check one more time and post it. BTW, there is some violence in this one; I hope you all can take it.

"oyasumi nasai" - "good night", when you are parting or going to sleep. Which I should do, I am very tired playing with this maracas, rehearsing the "ohayo/bonjour" song - should I make a recording? Does anyone want to hear me sing???

Ok, ok, that's it. Please enjoy. ~ JillM sept12002

Sakura Taisen does not belong to me, but to sega, red co, overworks (c) 1996,1998,2001,2002

* * * Everything returns to the ocean * * *

* Part 4 *

Kaede stood on the beach, gazing out to sea. She turned to see a little girl running towards her. 'Eh? What is she doing here?'

"Mama~!"

"EH?!?!" she gasped as the kid ran to her and hugged her. She saw that the little girl looked just like her. 'No way!!'

"Nene, here comes Papa..."

Kaede lifted her head and saw the man walking towards them. "EEH?!?!"

"Kaede-san!" he chimed, waving his hand, "So this is where you went."

"Why is it Oogami-kun?!?!" she cried, her face all red as he joined them, "What's going on here??"

"Mama," the little girl said, "Why don't you give Papa a kiss?"

Kaede woke up screaming, lying outside on the sand. 'Haa... it just a dream.' She sat up and looked around for Oogami. 'Phew, he's still in the shed. But why did I dream THAT?'

Staring again towards the waves, her face became grim.

'That's right... Unlike other women, I don't have any goals for the future... Just doing my job and protecting Teito. I can't think of anything else... Is this the fate for the daughters of the Fujieda family?'

She heard a noise and saw an airplane flying overhead. "Ah! Wait! WAAIT!" She started waving her hands and yelling up at it, but it just kept going. "That's right. I've got to somehow get Oogami-kun out of here, before something happens to him. I can't afford to miss the next chance..."

She started gathering stones and making a message on the sand. 'Chance...' she uttered to herself, staring towards the shed.

* * * * * * * * * *

A couple weeks ago...

"Someone is calling his kinematron at this hour??"

Kaede lifted her head from her book and gazed over to the wall where Kayama was kneeling. "If you think it's that late, why don't you leave my room?"

Kayama turned away from the peephole and smiled. "We have to keep the surveillance on Oogami of course. Hanakoji-hakushaku personally asked me since they are considering his promotion."

"I see..."

"Don't feel bad, Kaede-san. They were considering you too."

"I know, but I wasn't expecting anything to happen." she replied, putting away the book and walking to him, "Besides, I'm pretty comfortable as assistant commander, and someone has to lend their experience to Oogami-kun... Now, whom is he talking with so late at night?"

"It seems to be one of the girls from France - ah, the adorable Ci-kun... But, Kaede-san, you worked really hard this passed year."

"You did too, Kayama-kun... Heeh, this room is very clean as usual. Strangely I've never seen Oogami-kun lift a finger to clean it."

Kayama blinked as Kaede was next to him, also peering into the peephole. "Ore? I-I didn't do too much this year..."

"What are you talking about? You almost were killed!"

"That was just a small wound. I mean, you didn't have to rub all that stinky stuff on me!"

"Stinky stuff?! That was a sacred Fujieda family ointment I wasted on you!"

"Would you stop making a big fuss about it already?"

They froze to hear a knock on the door. "Kaede-san...?"

"Hai!!!" she called. She shoved Kayama in the closet. "(You be quiet!)" She went to answer the door. "Yes, Maria?"

"Sorry to bother you, Kaede-san. I was doing the night watch, when I saw that your light was still on. Is everything all right?"

"Yes, I was just about to go to sleep soon. Please finish up your duties and do the same; it's pretty late you know."

"I will... But isn't that...?" Maria's attention moved over her shoulder to the guitar lying on her bed. "Doesn't that belong to Kayama-taicho...?"

"EH?" Kaede turned around. "A-Actually... it's mine!" She picked and clumsily struck a cord. "I've been learning in secret..."

"Really? That's amazing." Maria said, "I've been wanting to learn myself. Perhaps Kayama-taicho will be willing to teach us. Well, I should be going now. Oyasumi nasai, Kaede-san."

"Oyasumi, Maria..." she replied, going to close the door after her. She then saw Kayama cheerfully come out. "You almost got me in trouble. You better leave now."

"Hai hai," he said, taking back his guitar, "Before I go there's one more thing I want to ask you..."

"Guitar lesson? Maybe..."

"Ahahaha, that's not it - but maybe. Actually, Hanakoji-hakushaku has granted the Tsukigumi a paid 3-day vacation. This weekend we decided to all going to go on a cruise. Everyone is entitled one guest, so they're bringing their wives and girlfriends... And I-I was wondering..."

"EH?" she gasped, "Kayama-kun, are you asking me?!" He bashfully nodded his head. "S-Sou ka... this weekend you say...? Well, I'm sorry I can't!"

"Sure you can! Yoneda-joukan would okay it. Besides, when was the last time you had a vacation??"

"I don't know... But I just can't do it! Why don't you ask Kasumi-san or Yuri-kun or someone else?"

"Because I want you to come!" Kayama's face went redder. "Aa, sorry to yell like this... It's late and I should be going now... Oyasumi, Kaede-san."

"Oyasumi..." she uttered as he climbed out of the window and disappeared. She stood there, with the wind in her face. 'Kayama-kun...'

Days later,

"Kyaa! I'm jealous, jealous!!!!" Yuri cried, papers flying everywhere in the business office. "I cannot believe that Kasumi-san went with Kayama-san away for the weekend!! It's just not fair!"

"Sou yo ne!" Tsubaki replied, "We deserve a vacation too!"

"That's not what I meant!" Yuri snapped, pulling her friend by the cheek, "Kayama-san is such a hot guy, but Kasumi-san wasn't even interested in him and still went! Oh what a waste! He should have asked me!"

"But Kasumi-san is the ideal woman to ask," Tsubaki noted, "She's mature, kind, and intelligent. Of course Kayama-san would want her and NOT YOU to pose as his girlfriend."

"What are you saying?! I'm mature and kind and intelligent too! And you're the 'cute, perky type'! Oogami-san likes those type, not Kayama-san!"

"Hey genius, what type does Kayama-san like then???"

"Obviously Kasumi-san's type since he asked HER and NOT YOU!"

"No way! Let's ask Kaede-san!" Tsubaki said; she and Yuri looked over to the table. "Kaede-san..."

"Eh?" Kaede blinked her eyes. She was covering for Kasumi in the business office on her spare time, when these two started to go at each other. She tried to ignore them, but it was all too difficult. 'Now they're asking me Kayama-kun's type?? How should I know that!?'

"Kaede-san, you should know." Yuri said, "Since you and Kayama-san are so close."

"We are not close at all!!"

Tsubaki and Yuri exchanged glances. "At any rate, what are we going to do if 'all goes well' this weekend." Tsubaki sighed, "I mean, Kasumi-san could fall for Kayama-san, then what will become of the 'Teigeki Sannin Musume'?"

Kaede kept trying to ignore them, throwing herself into her work. She went through the paper work at a rapid pace, not noticing that the other two stopped to watch her.

"Wah, Kaede-san is as hard of a worker than Kasumi-san..." Tsubaki noted, "In fact, she's much faster - look at her go! I'm sure if Kasumi-san leaves, then Kaede-san could replace her!"

"What are you talking about?!" Yuri argued, "That would be a big demotion for her! Besides, I want to quit this job and become a bride as well! Don't you too, Tsubaki-san??"

"Of course! But I want to first travel all around the world! And then...!"

"Become a pretty bride someday!!!!" chimed Yokihiko, appearing out of nowhere. "Atashi mo! Atashi mo!!"

While the girls started arguing again, Kaede lowered her face behind the piles of finished paperwork. 'Everyone, but me...'

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"Kaede-san," Oogami uttered, coming up behind her, "Is everything okay?"

"Eh?" She realized what she was doing. She had formed a large heart out of rocks. "I was trying to make a message for the passing airplanes. Sorry, I wasn't really paying attention... But it's important that I get you out of here before the ghost gets you too."

Oogami fretfully shook his head. "No, I will be okay!"

"Still! If something would happen to you, what will become of the Hanagumi? Of Teito!?"

"What would happen if we lost you, Kaede-san?! I can't allow it! You're much too important!"

"Oogami-kun..." He blushed. "Come inside. I was reading something in Ayame-san's journal about the ghost. I think you'd find it interesting."

"H-Hai..." she uttered as he pulled to the shed by the hand. 'Oogami-san is really worried about me... But, I...'

Inside the shed, he opened the journal and placed it in front of her. "I felt bad at first, reading Ayame-san's journal... But then I realized I had did it before anyways, and also if it were to help you then Ayame-san would forgive me."

"Arigatou." she uttered, 'Oogami-kun is really sweet, but is this just his way to get women? Sometimes I am weary of his intentions, but I can't help but like him...'

"Yes? Is something wrong?" he asked, "You keep staring at me like that."

She shook her head. "I'm going to read this now, okay?" Oogami nodded and settled down next to her. Kaede sighed as a calming feeling came over her. "Well, here I go..."

* * * * * * * * *

As instructed, Ayame ran back towards the beach shed. Something in Yoneda's voice had worried her, and she really wanted the others to come help out. "Yamazaki-shousa!" she called, seeing him lying on the ground, "D-Daijoubu desu ka??!"

One eye flickered open. "Aa... I was just taking a nap in the sun. What do you want?"

"Just to see if you were okay. When I saw you like that, I thought... maybe the ghost got you again..."

"Ha, I'm not that careless to be possessed twice in row in the same day!"

"Still, be cautious. You don't want to drown again, do you?"

"Right..." he mumbled, remembering what Yoneda had to do with disgust, "But look at Shinguji-taisa... He's so upset at himself for being possessed that he's been meditating this whole time."

"Taisa..." She looked towards the solemn colonel who had confined himself at a distance. "He really didn't want to hurt anyone. That ghost had no right taking her anger out on other people... But I want to know - why is she so angry?"

Yamazaki sat up, shrugging his shoulders. "Maybe when she died, she felt angry that the others didn't survive for her. What's the use of a life if you're all alone?"

Ayame looked down. "Still, I feel like there's something more... Eh? What is that?" She picked up a shell necklace. "It's pretty..."

"Sou? I made it for you. See how bored I am with this stupid mission?"

"Arigatou, shousa!" she happily cried, throwing her arms around his neck.

"Oi!! Stop it! Taisa will see you!!" he exclaimed. They paused to notice that Kazuma was no longer in his spot. "Ayame... did you see where he went?"

"No, I didn't. He was just there a second ago."

"Now I'm really worried; let's go look for him!"

"Wait! Yoneda-shirei was asking us to go to him..." she replied, looking in the direction she came, "Besides, I think we should stay together..." She turned back to see that he was gone now. "Shousa? Yamazaki-shousa?!?"

But there was no one left. Ayame looked around in fright as dark clouds covered the skies above.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Kanna followed the sounds of gunshots into the shooting range. There as usual was Maria with her earphones on, shooting at her moving target. "Yo!" she chimed when there weren't any bullets left, "I like how you've cut out little spikes on the target's head; it's cute!"

"Can you believe it?!" Maria cried, throwing her earphones aside, "Taicho had a peep hole to Kaede-san's room! That lecher!!"

"Maa maa, you really shouldn't be surprised with that stuff anymore. Besides, Taicho is a guy after all. That's what they do."

"Kanna! How could you be so easygoing about it?! This man is the commander of the Teikoku Kagekidan!!"

"Calm down, will you, Maria? I'm sure that Taicho has a good explanation."

"Like how he explained what happened in France?" Maria grumbled, loading up her gun, "How he shows up here with a new girlfriend and then ends up going back with her - as though we never meant a thing to him?!"

"Oh yeah... that..." Kanna was lost for words for a moment. Maria had mellowed out through the years, so it had been a while since she saw her angry. But, she couldn't deny the pain of betrayal when Oogami returned from his duty in Paris.

Maria sighed, staring to the floor. "Why I even bother?"

Kanna watched her friend pick up his things and leave the room with sadness in her eyes. 'Maria... you really cared about Taicho... However, the one you want to look at you is looking at someone else who is looking at someone else. It just can't be helped... Or can it?'

* * * * * * * * * *

Sumire sat in the audience seats, watching the dress rehearsal of the Hanagumi. Yawning, she leaned her head back and saw the Baragumi. "What are you people doing here?!"

"We're here to look for Ichiro-chan!" Yokihiko replied, "Is he back from his special mission?"

"No, he is not! But we are going to drag him back here tonight, whether he wants to or not! That negligent Kaede-san also! The two of them have some explaining to do!"

Kotone fluttered his fan. "Aren't you retired??"

"That's none of your business." she said gruffly, "Besides, were you three going to get married or something like that?"

"Sou desu!" Kikunojo replied, "We were ready to walk down the aisle, but then we all thought about our beloved Oogami-san. We just couldn't go through with it."

Sumire covered her face with the script. "Get out of here, you crazy guys!!"

"Aa, you mean 'crazy gals'!" Kotone said, before she walloped him and the others with the script book. "Relax! You're retired!!"

'I can't think with these weirdoes around me,' she thought leaving the theater. She went up to the second floor, where she walked out on the terrace. 'Nothing really has changed with me gone, huh? Except she is getting roles now... I wonder if she's really that good... and deserving to have a peephole to her room. HMP! You are a real opponent, Fujieda Kaede-san!'

"Sumire-sa~n!" Orihime arrived with Reni, carrying a stack of papers. "These were left behind the ex-commander and ex-vicecommander. I think you should look at them."

"EEH?!" Sumire cried, "I'm just standing in! You don't expect me to look through all of this stuff!"

"Ha! Just as I thought!" Orihime chimed, pointing at her forehead, "You were just playing around, Sumire-san! Of course you weren't serious about being our commander!"

"Of course I..." Sumire's voice drifted off. 'So, I see... Is this really just another game? No, not this time... Because... I am much better than this...'

"Commander..." Reni uttered blankly, "Should I burn these with the other garbage?"

"Iie!" Sumire replied, standing and taking the pile from her, "I shall look at them in my office! Orihime-san, please inform everyone that I have rescheduled our team meeting two hours earlier."

"Ryokai de~su!" Orihime replied, with a salute. She and Reni turned for the stairs. "(Is it me or did Sumire-san just sound like she wanted to seriously be our commander??)"

"(Saa...)"

'That's right! I'm going to be better than she is in any other way! Of course I wouldn't do something as clever as table dancing at a high profile party, but I will come up with something soon! Just you wait, Fujieda Kaede-san!'

"Gwaaah!!" She had collided with Kanna in the hallway, spilling papers everywhere. The taller girl helped her gather them back into a pile. "Next time watch where you're going, Sumire."

"Hai... arigatou... Kanna-san..."

"OI. What's wrong with you?"

Sumire sighed. "Do you think I'm pretty?"

"EH?!" Kanna backed away for a moment. 'What in the...?!?!' But Sumire was waiting an answer. "No, I don't! You're the ugliest thing I've ever seen, HEBI-ONNA!"

Sumire's face went sour. "ARA! Can't you see I am in need of friendship support! How dare you insult me in my face, you you BAKEMONO!!"

"NAN DA TO?!?!?"

In her mind, Sumire could see Kaede in standing off to the side, shaking her head. "Those two are at it again..."

'Sou desu wa... My archenemy would ridicule me with this behavior. How dare she! Demo she is right now with Chuui... So, has she already won? Is it too late to challenge her? I am the inheritor of Kanzaki Fujin Ryu and Teito's reigning TOP STOP - I cannot accept defeat this easily! However, is the prize worth my self-pride??'

Kanna looked her over. "What are you doing now? Look, I was just kidding. You're not that ugly. In fact, you're actually really pretty, Sumire."

"Eh? H-Honto desu ka?"

"Aa... You're really the opposite of me... So feminine and delicate, not like a monster like me..."

"S-Sonna, Kanna-san! I was just kidding about that 'bakemono' stuff. You're not a monster. I admit your size is very intimidating, but it's admirable as well. You won't believe how difficult it is to prove just how strong I am, where you are without effort..."

"You are strong, Sumire - everyone knows it."

The two laughed at each other. "What are we doing? Aren't we supposed to be fighting?"

"I guess, but it's nice like this too. W-Well, I'm going to do some cooking. If you're hungry, stop by the cafeteria, okay?"

"H-Hai. First I shall look at these papers in my office. Please excuse me." Sumire walked away slowly. 'That was a change of atmosphere. This new feeling is wonderful! Yes, I shall now do the responsible thing for now! This way, I won't lose! OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO...' She paused. 'Ah, but does she already have an evil laugh? Mine is better of course! HMP!'

Reni and Orihime were watching her from around the corner. "There is something strange about that Sumire!" Orihime uttered with Reni nodding in the background.

* * * * * * * * *

Kaede continued to read the journal until late in the afternoon. When she felt tired of looking at her sister's handwriting, she spied on what Oogami was doing just outside.

"I'm building us a fire." he noted, "This way we can eat what's left of the can foods they left us. After all, they are going to pick us up in the morning right?"

Kaede quietly nodded her head. 'That is, if we could make it in time... But to leave tomorrow, without...'

"If only..." Oogami cut into her thoughts, "We could find Kayama before then. Where could that guy be?"

She lowered her head, still not saying anything.

"Kaede-san! Don't believe that he actually went and got himself killed! I won't! There's just no way!"

"You don't know that!" she snapped, "Kayama-kun didn't care if he got injured or not. Like how you didn't know that in our last battle, Kayama-kun was seriously injured but kept on fighting."

"He eventually told me. After the battle... he felt bad for worrying you."

"Kayama-kun did...?"

"But he's doing it again, that idiot. Disappearing like this and making you worry so much."

"I'm sure it's not on purpose."

The two sighed. The day had already passed them by. With the information they gathered from the machines, the area appeared to be safe. However, Kayama's disappearance and the content in Ayame's journal just didn't make it felt that way. Kaede looked again at the pages that her sister wrote.

* * * * * * * *

"SHIREI!! SHIREI!!!" Ayame cried, running down the beach, hoping to find Yoneda. As soon as Yamazaki and Kazuma disappeared, she didn't know what to do other than look for their commander. But he could not to be found either.

She fell to her knees panting. 'What am I to do? I'm all alone...' Turning around, she saw that she had left a small trail in the sand, the shed still in view. 'Have I only gone this far? It's been only a couple hours I'm sure... Why is...'

A hand clasped around her wrist. Looking down, the cold hand had emerged from the ground. "HAAA?!!?" Another hand came up and grabbed her ankle, while other body parts sprung up. "W-WHAT IS HAPPENINING!!?"

In a quick flash, Ayame found herself surrounded by mangled bodies, some with swords, others still with fresh blood pouring from their wounds. Sickened to her stomach, she wanted to tear herself away from the scene but there was nowhere to run.

"Somebody... help!!" she gasped, the air so thick with a stench, "W-Why is this happening... Why so many...?"

"BECAUSE OF HER..."

"Eh?" She turned around and saw that everything had faded away and became normal again. Still, there was an eerie silence. 'Who was that voice just then... What was that mirage...?' An arm wrapped around her waist. "KYAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

"Oi, what's the matter with you?"

"Ya... Yamazaki-shousa...?" She looked over her shoulder and saw him standing behind her. She quickly turned around, gripping at his shirt. "SHOUSA!!"

"W-What is it???" he stammered, as she started crying. He tore away, blushing. "Stop it! You're not a kid! Besides, we're on a mission and you... you..." He helplessly lifted a hand to wipe her eyes. "Ayame, what's wrong?"

"That awful image... I think the ghost sent it to me... It felt so real..."

"The ghost did...?"

"H-Hai... She's so full of anger... I didn't understand any of it... But it was too much to bear..."

"Ayame, daijoubu. I will..."

Ayame blinked her eyes. "Shousa?" she asked, looking at his pale face. Suddenly he coughed up blood and fell forward. "S-SHOUSA?!"

Standing over him was Yoneda and his sword dripping with blood. Ayame's widened eyes moved from Yoneda to the bleeding Yamazaki who slowly rose to his feet, drawing his sword.

"Isn't it wonderful?" said a voice. She quickly turned and saw a woman standing there, her kimono and long black hair flowing in the wind. "They are fighting for me. Not you. Me. It's so wonderful."

"H-Ha...?" Ayame turned back, just as the blades went contact and blood sprayed onto her face. "IYAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!"

* * * * * * * * * * *

Inside the shed, Kaede dropped the book while clutching her head. She felt a sharp pain over her temple. "Kaede-san!" Oogami cried, rushing to her side. He knelt down and put his hands on her shoulders, "Daijoubu kai?! Is everything all right?! Speak to me!"

"Neesan... Why didn't she...?"

"Eh? What about Ayame-san?"

"She..." Kaede leaned her sweating head onto his shoulder. "Oogami-kun, it's too much. I can't..."

"Then don't. Whatever it is, I will take care of it. I won't let anything harm you." he said, linking his arms around her back, "Because I have decided that I wanted to be with you from here on.

"What did you just say?!" she gasped, loosening his hold on her.

He cupped her face and smiled. "I want to have a happy ending with you, Kaede-san."

"Oogami-kun..."

"Un, somehow we always end up together. Don't you think it's more than coincidence? The way I see it - every decision I have made up to now has only led me to you. I wouldn't want it any other way."

"But, what about...?"

"My Paris girlfriend? She's in Paris."

"No, your..."

"My Teito girlfriend? It's okay; we'll work something out."

"Demo...!"

"Kaede-san, no matter how many girlfriends I have, you're the one I really want. All along, it's been you - and only you."

Kaede found herself looking into his eyes that were filled with so much sincerity that she started shaking. "Oogami-kun... you're telling the truth... But, I can't... Aren't you my commanding officer?"

"That's not a problem! Who says it's wrong!? If anyone says something about it, they'll have to deal with me!"

'He is serious...' she thought, staring into his intense expression. She also found herself trapped. 'What are my feelings towards Oogami-kun? Yes, I worry about him a lot - and we do team up often... I just... I just can't stop thinking about...'

~ "Yaa, Kaede-san~! Umi wa ii naa~!" ~

"Kaede-san!!" Oogami cried, embracing her tightly, "Let's not fight it anymore! We must give in to this great feeling of love - no matter what the consequences are!!"

"Oogami-kun," she replied calmly, "I'm sorry, but we can't. I still..."

"Would you just forget about him?!" he snapped, pounding his fist on the wall, "That guy just gave up and ran away! He's not with you now, I AM!"

"O... Oogami-kun...?" Kaede stammered, very surprised by his reaction. 'His eyes are no longer so affectionate, but so full of anger...' Just then, his hands moved to her neck. "Eh??"

"You are my prize." he said, pressing a soft kiss on the side of her mouth.

Kaede watched in shock, as his grip tightened on her neck and lifted her up against the wall. 'Oogami-kun...!' She raised her hands to his and tried to break his hold, but it was futile; he had incredible strength. "S-Stop... please..." she uttered, becoming weak, "Oogami...kun..." Kaede lost consciousness, her hands dropping to her side and eyes falling shut.

* end of part 4*


back to part3
onto part 5