'smite' final episode
Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Sakura Taisen was created by Ooji Hiroi-sensei; all rights reserved to Sega, Red Company, & Bandai Visual
This fanfiction is by JillM; original posting: September 9th, 2001
Notes: for vocab, check kaede's lesson. those familiar with my ruroken 'very long' series, this will be reminiscent of 'blue rain'. in truth, the original plot was meant for the first smite series, 'smite the player', but that was changed at the last minute. also, because this is the last episode of the 'smite' series, it is very LONG. please enjoy & thanks for all your support!
revised ending. check out-takes for the last interpretation & hidden scenes. posted September 10 2001
updated September 19 2001, errors

Smite the Enemy - Oogami, fight for the future
Final Episode: "In the Rain"


'Ame ga...' Sakura sat at her window, tracing the raindrops with her fingertips, 'Demo, doushite... why did Oogami-san ask all of a sudden... soushite, why did you reject him? Why...?"

Through the streams of water, she could see her reflection on the glass. Her face looked weary from lack of sleep, and her eyes... her red eyes stood out the most. Sakura moved her bangs out of the way and stared at herself. She knew the answer. And she knew she couldn't change it.

* * *
Kaede eased out of bed and gazed towards the window. The flash of lightning woke her, as well as a revelation. 'Masaka...' she thought, putting on her robe and walking out of the room. Folding her arms, she grimaced down at the picture of her sister. 'I should have known...'

Going to the kitchen, she poured a glass of water and sat by the window to watch the rain come down. "Oogami-kun, you never change do you?" she grumbled, putting the pieces together, "Didn't Nee-san warn you at all... about rabbits...?!"

Clenching her fist, she wanted to scold him in the morning. 'Even if he's leaving, it doesn't mean he could go for another round of scoring points with women... ano player, he just wanted to put his hands on me! He didn't even answer my question! All that sweet talk, it's no wonder he's still single! To make matters worse - I'm married! To his best friend!! How dare he!? Tomorrow, I'm gonna...!!'

Two arms suddenly wrapped around her tense body; Kaede instantly snapped out of her rage trip. "Maa maa maa, what's this about?? Rabbits ka??" Kayama chuckled in her ear, "You should be dreaming by now, Kaede."

"Yuichi," she sighed, "Why do you always show up at the right time when I need you?" He shrugged, putting on a silly smile. Cheering up, she giggled, "Honto ni, the ocean is beautiful tonight..."

"Are? What ocean?" he asked, playing along as he put his hand over his eyes and searched outside the window, "Doko?? Umi wa??"

Kaede took hold of his crutches and mischievously led him back towards the room. "Come here and I'll show you..."

* * *
In the morning, the Teigeki San'nin Musume gathered in the business office to get an early jump on the paperwork before their leader would arrive and nag them. Right now, they were chatting about the latest uwasa.

"MOU! I can't believe Oogami-san proposed to Sakura-san!" Yuri exclaimed, papers flying everywhere, "And I wasn't even there!! Kyaaa, so not fair!!"

Tsubomi tried to calm her down. "According to Kouran-tachi, Sakura-san turned him down. So, it can be as if it never happened, ne??"

"This type of thing doesn't happen everyday." Tsubaki replied, "For Oogami-san to make such a statement... it must've have been a shocking event."

Yuri pounded her fists on the table. "AND I MISSED IT!! This is all Kasumi-san's fault! She needs to relax about the work around here! I can't stay in such a stressful environment and miss out on good uwasa!!"

"Soeba," Tsubaki noted, tapping her chin, "I wonder where Kasumi-san went last night. And isn't it odd that she slept in? She's usually here at dawn. Demo, she didn't even knock on my door this morning. M-Masaka... do you think that... she had a DATE?!?"

Yuri and Tsubomi, who was trying to restrain Yuri, stopped and stared at her. " DE-TO?! SONNA BAKA NA!"

"Ara ara, who had a date??" Kaede asked, stepping through the office doors, "Hmm? Yuichi was right behind me. I better go back and check where he went."

Just as Kaede was hurrying out, Kasumi stepped in, shaking her umbrella. She then let out a long sigh. "Ohayou...minna..."

"Ohayou~!" chimed her friends. They all looked her over, wondering if their predictions were true. 'Demo, it's so unlikely... Kasumi-san... no way!'

Kasumi walked over, her mind lost in the memory of the night before. She and her companion hurried from the taxi, stopping at the apartment. "Ano ne, do you want to come inside?"

"Iya, I think I should go." he replied, wiping his glasses and shaking the water from his long hair, "I had a fun time tonight with you, Kasumi-chan."

"Onegai," she whispered, putting her hand on his cheek. They stopped and stared into each other's eyes, "Kotone-san."

Kotone went red. "Dame desu... honto ni... watashi... watashi wa... HOMO desu."

Back in the business office, Kasumi snapped the pencil she was holding in half. All of her friends stared at her in surprise as she dropped her head down on the desk. "DOUSHITE?! DOUSHITE?!"

Before they could ask about what was going on, Kaede came back inside. "I can't find Yuichi anywhere. I wonder where did he go..."

* * *
Oogami finished fixing his necktie then turned towards the mirror to take a look. Just then, he heard the windows burst open and a loud noise. "TOH!!" exclaimed Kayama, making his usual entrance, "YOOO OOGAMI~!"

Oogami dropped his head and sighed, "Mainichi, mainichi..." He then turned around. "Jotto matte! Kayama, aren't you injured? What are you doing, climbing on the side of the buildings?!"

Kayama, with his crutches, hopped over and plopped in the chair, "Maa maa maa! You shouldn't underestimate the Taichou of the Tsukigumi!"

Oogami just smiled. "The ocean was beautiful wasn't it??"

"Aa! Sou da! Umi wa TOTEMO ii naaa!" Kayama replied, playing some notes on his guitar, "Sooo beautiful~! The oceaaaan~!" But Oogami just continued to get ready. "E-to, Oogami... where are you going??"

"I've got some stuff to take care of." he explained, closing his suitcase of extra clothes, "Ore to Sakura-kun..."

"EH?!" Kayama dropped his guitar and jolted up onto his injured leg, "Ite! Ite!" Getting his crutches he painfully went over to his friend. "Masaka, Oogami... y-you're eloping?!"

"Actually she turned me down. Demo, I won't give up on her. Sakura-kun and I belong together..." Oogami's eyes move to the umbrella resting against his desk.

Two years ago. Spring.
"Oogami-san, you have to hear it. This is will be the final time I will attempt to say it. "

I just wanted go hide away and forget everything, but she stood in my way.

"No matter what happens in the future, Oogami-san, I will always love you."

Naze... Why didn't I say it then... why didn't I react the way I wanted to... It was my one chance...

"Please... just leave me alone." Oogami said and walked away.

And then... this umbrella showed up at my door, with a note to meet Sakura in Ueno park... the place where we first met, where I first felt it... but why...?

A hopeful Oogami waited in the rain in Ueno Park, waiting for Sakura. But she never came. Instead, another woman and another feeling...

"If only I took the chance then." Oogami uttered, holding onto the umbrella, "Time is slipping away. I have to act now."

* * *
Meanwhile, in the manager's office. "I have a special mission for you." Yoneda said, putting down his sake. He paused to gag and spit out his drink. "Oi!! What the hell are you three wearing!?"

The lights went cabaret red for a moment as the Baragumi leapt up and posed for him, wearing pansy-colored leotards. "SHORI no POZU, KIME!" Everything then went back to normal.

"It's our new uniforms." Kotone noted, "We've modeled them after the original Hanagumi costumes. What do you think??"

Yoneda just sighed and wiped the sweat bead off his face. "Onto your orders... you must, whatever it takes, get Oogami onto that ship that departs tomorrow morning."

"Sumimasen, Yoneda-san." Kikunojou said, "Doesn't Oogami-san leave in two days?"

"As soon as kono yarou threatened not to take the job, Hanakoji and I've decided to move up his departure. The sooner he leaves, the better. We can't let him throw away his entire career. I put Oogami into your hands."

"Yatta wa!! So we can go on a date with Ichirou-chan??" Yokohiko asked, folding his hands together, "I want to go to the picture house in Asakusa! If we could hold hands, it'll be so romantic!"

"Dame, Yoko-chan!" Kotone scolded, "First things first, we must get Oogami-taichou onto that boat tomorrow. Perhaps another time for a date, ne~?"

"RYOKAI!"

* * *
Sakura busily cleaned her room, trying to go on with the day as if nothing had happened. But, she heard a noise at her door. 'Hah?' She went over and turned the knob, opening it just a crack. An umbrella fell to the floor. 'Sore wa...!'

"Sakura-saan!" Tsubomi came running down the hall. "Hayaku! Someone wants to talk to you! He's waiting outside the theater!"

"H-Hai!" she stammered, putting down the umbrella and turning down the hallway.

"Jotto, Sakura-san! It's starting to rain so...!" Tsubomi called after her, going to pick up the umbrella. But Sakura had already gone down the stairs. "There's a note on here..." She untied the piece of paper and looked over its contents. "KYAAAAAAAAAA!"

"NAN DESU NO!?!" Sumire exclaimed, she and Erica rushing out into the hallway. She snagged the note from Tsubomi and read its shocking contents. "EEEEEEH?!"

"Sumire-san?!" Erica cried, catching the fainted actress, "What's going on!?"

* * *
Outside, the rain continued. Going down the steps, Sakura saw the one waiting for her, a suitcase in his hand and his head lowered. "Takeshi-kun," she uttered, running up to him, "What's the matter?"

"Sakura, a favor." he replied, taking off his hat and shaking the brown hair out of his eyes. He then took out an envelope. "Please give this to Orihime-san."

"Demo! Why don't you give it to her yourself? Orihime-san is your..." Takeshi suddenly took hold of her wrist, shaking his head. "Takeshi-kun?" He simply turned her hand over and placed the note inside. "D-Doushite?"

"I'm going home, back to Sendai where I belong. Guys like me don't belong in a place like this." His grip loosened as he closed his eyes for a moment. "Tell Orihime-san I'm really sorry for giving up so easily."

"Takeshi-kun..." Sakura uttered, as he pulled away and started to turn for the street. She frantically called, running after him. "Don't do this! Don't give up on her if you still...! Takeshi-kun!!" But he kept on walking away.

* * *
Sakura returned to the Teigeki unsuccessful. Wearily walking up the stairs, she noticed that it was extra quiet. She then made it to the parlor, where a group had gathered. "Minna-san, what's going on?"

They stood around the table with the letter in the middle. Kouran turned towards her, "Sakura-han, what are you still doing here? Shouldn't you be there by now?"

"Sou yo!" Kanna exclaimed, "Sakura, you just can't leave Taichou out there - it's pouring hard outside!"

Coquelicot held the paper up to the confused girl's face, "Nee nee! Didn't you read this note you got from Ichirou?!"

Sakura blinked and stared at the contents, 'Sakura-kun, forgive me for my brash actions. Demo, I don't regret what I said. We don't have a lot of time left, so please go to the place where we first met. I'll be waiting for you. - Oogami'

"According to Kayama-san, Oogami-san left over an hour ago." Hanabi sighed, crossing her arms. "I'm sure he's already in Ueno by now."

Yuri rubbed her chin, "It was said he left carrying baggage... no doubt he wants to elope with Sakura-san! Aa, what wonderful uwasa!!" Everyone stared at her with sweat-beads. "Dakara! It's only reasonable since Oogami-san is leaving!"

"Masaka! Onii-chan is leaving Airisu-tachi AGAIN?!?" Airisu tearfully asked, squeezing poor Jean-Paul and poor Reni, "IYAYO!! AIRISU DOESN'T WANT THAT!!"

While everyone tried to back away from the emotional Airisu, Tsubaki clobbered Yuri. "Baka! We're not supposed to tell them! Kasumi-san is gonna kill us now!"

As her friends argued in the background, Tsubomi explained everything, "Minna, you didn't hear it from us, but Oogami-san is leaving Teito in two days!" Gasps filled the room at the shocking news.

"Sou ka," Maria uttered, "Because Taichou doesn't want to leave everything he loves, he is desperately trying to find a way to stay. Sakura, you're his only hope! If you accept Taichou, then..."

"IYA!" Sakura blurted out. They all stared at her in surprise. She clenched her fists together and exclaimed, "I'll cannot marry Oogami-san!"

Everyone fell over in a heap. "D-Doushite?" Reni asked, being flattened as she was at the bottom of the pile since she pushed Airisu out of the way at the last minute, "Why won't you marry Taichou? (Uug, everyone... get off me...)"

"Isn't it obvious??" Lobelia noted, struggling to move, "Taichou danced with twenty girls two nights ago, and according to the Teigeki San'nin Musume, he was flirting with Kaede-san just last night. (C-Can't feel my legs...)"

"Sou de~su!" Orihime exclaimed, "We all know that Chuui-san is such a PLAYER! What good marrying him will be - he'll just have a bunch of affairs!! You can't trust Japanese guys at all! (Kanna-san, you're heavy~!!)"

"Minna-san, chigaimasu." Sakura replied, helping her friends off the floor, "You've got it all wrong. That's not why at all..."

"A~ra." Sumire walked over, waving her fan, "Sakura-san, I think I know what's the problem here. You're just a big coward."

"J-Jotto!" Erica gasped, trying to keep her from moving forward, "Sumire-san, dame desu! Now isn't the time..."

But the other two ignored her. "Sumire-san, you can think whatever you want about me, demo I've already made my decision." Sakura replied, "Oogami-san, soushite minna-san... everyone will be happier this way."

Sumire stopped right in front of her and gave her a good smack across the face that sent her down to the floor. "YOU STUPID GIRL! I used to have respect for you, but now I'm sure that my preconceptions were right all along: you're just some worthless country girl getting in other people's way..."

"S-Sumire-san!" Erica tried again, "That's enough...!"

But Sumire wasn't finished. "Do you really think everyone will be happy this way?! You're only thinking about yourself, you selfish fool! From the start, you never had any intention of making a commitment to Chuui, so I wonder who was playing whom all along. Chuui is an even bigger fool to believe so much in you!"

"Ano ki-sama!" Sakura grumbled, throwing a punch. The two of them clashed, heated blows and words being exchanged. Majority of the girls watched in shock as Kanna and Maria tried to break it up. "URESAI!" Sakura snapped at Sumire as they pried them apart, "You don't understand what I'm going through!!"

"BAKA!! Nobody cares! Chuui will be leaving because of you!" Sumire exclaimed, trying to break out of Kanna's hold, "Let me go this minute!!"

Maria's angry voice boomed over theirs, "YOU TWO - KNOCK IT OFF!!!"

* * *
Downstairs, Grand Meré and Yoneda walked down the hall with Yuichi and Kaede trailing. "Sou ka. Oogami-kun is not coming to France with us." Grand Mere noted, "Jaa, where is he going?"

"Hanakoji mentioned a place across the Pacific. We're opening another secret butai there." Yoneda explained, "Someone like Oogami needs to be there to get it going. He's perfect for the job." Yoneda hung his head and sighed, "Chikuso!"

"Where is Oogami-kun today anyways?" Kaede asked, clenching her fists, "I have business to settle with him before he leaves." She sweetly smiled and turned towards her husband, "Ne, Yuichi?"

"Hah?" Kayama blinked in surprise as she teased his chin with her fingertips, trying to get answers from him. He quickly laughed it off, "Iyada! I don't know where he went. Oogami didn't really tell me anything about it. Just said he had something to do. Demo na, I wouldn't worry about it."

"What about the Hanagumi?" Grand Meré asked, "What's to happen to it without Oogami-kun? I know my Hanagumi will have troubles, but Lobelia would make a good stand-in Taichou. If not, we can get some extra help from the Hoshigumi."

"Daijoubu da. We'll be okay." Yoneda insisted, "Maria is an experienced leader and everyone is tight and close together - we'll survive."

They stopped at the windows and saw Kanna and Kouran dragging Sumire outside into the central garden. Kanna grabbed the girl by the shoulders and gave her a good shake. "You need to cool off, you damn cactus woman!!" They then locked her out, leaving her to scream and curse as the rain continued to pour.

"Close together, ne?" Grand Meré asked. Kaede, Kayama, and Yoneda nervously laughed it off.

* * *
"Daijoubu desu ka?" Hanabi asked as they looked to Sakura's bleeding lip and other wounds. "That sure looks painful... I wouldn't want to get in a brawl like that. It's too reckless."

"D-Datte!" Erica gasped, "Fighting isn't the answer to anything. Those two are best friends - they shouldn't be acting this way! It just makes me so, so upset! Aaan, let's do some Hail Mary's!"

"They had to get it out of their systems." Maria noted, "Sumire and Sakura have been wanting to pull the trigger since they met, only Taichou has stood in their way. But strong emotions like this are what their friendship has built on."

Sakura knocked Orihime's hand away from her face. "Daijoubu desu." she uttered, turning for the door, "Arigatou gozaimasu. Demo, don't worry about it anymore."

"Da~kara~! You've got scratch marks all ov~er from that cat's claws, and your face is spewing blood e~verywhere!! Stop being so stubborn de~su!" Orihime scolded. Sakura just handed her the envelope and went out. 'Takeshi-san...'

"Matte!" Airisu called after her, "Aren't you going to Ueno Park to see Onii-chan?" The girl didn't stop walking away. "NE, SAKURAA!"

"Sakura!" Maria cried, running after her. She caught up to her just as she reached her room. "About what Sumire said, don't let it get to you. She was angry and said things that she didn't mean..."

"Iie, it was true." Sakura replied, "I hadn't considered a future at all with him... honto ni, I really am a coward. I was shaking the moment he said 'I love you' and haven't stopped since then."

"Sakura..." Maria uttered, unable to do anything but stare in surprise.

"Please just leave me alone." she said, going into the room and closing the door behind her.

"What should we do now?" Reni asked when Maria got back to the parlor, "Should we go to Ueno Park and get Taichou?"

"It's down-pouring now," Hanabi noted, "Don't you think he'll take a hint and come back on his own?"

"Iie," Tsubaki sighed, "Oogami-san will stay there and wait for Sakura-san no matter what. Even if we did went and tell him she's not coming, he won't move."

Maria nodded her head, "Taichou is a practical man, but when it comes to matters of the heart, he's brash and sometimes illogical... there's nothing we can do for him right now until he realizes it for himself."

* * *
In Ueno Park, Oogami paced in front of a familiar cherry tree, it's bare branches not giving any cover to him at all. An umbrella resting on his shoulder, he glanced at his watch while whistling. 'It's already been two hours... maa, just a bit more.'

"Aa, Oniisan!" chimed a voice. He turned and saw the same old woman he and Sakura met on the train to Tokyo. "Are you waiting for your girlfriend?"

"Hai!" Oogami said cheerfully, "Demo, Obaa-chan, you must be having difficulties in this weather. Please take this umbrella with you." She tried to refuse but he insisted, "Don't worry about me." Obaachan thanked him and walked away, waving. He smiled after her, remembering how she had commented them. 'From that time on, I decided we'd always be together...'

Another hour passed. Oogami leaned against the tree truth, still whistling. A cop walked up to him. "Niisan, it's getting worse. Better go before you get struck by lightning or catch ammonia."

"Dame desu." he replied, absolutely soaked, "I'm waiting for my lover to come."

"I've been watching you wait for over three hours and I think you've been stood up. Even if the girl does show up, she'd probably be hit by lightning too." the cop replied, "I advise you get on out of here, Niisan."

Oogami just waved after him, his hair losing its spikes. 'I absolutely won't give up! However long it takes, I'll be right here.'

* * *
"Sou ka," Kaede uttered, standing in the business office, "That's what Oogami-kun's doing..." Her slanted eyes moved to Kayama. "And you knew all along??" He just nervously laughed and hid behind the still-depressed Kasumi.

"Demo, it's been four hours since then." Tsubomi sighed, "Oogami-san is waiting it out for Sakura-san and she's not even going to go. I feel bad for him."

Yuri replied, "It seems only fitting for all those times Oogami-san has stood Sakura-san up. Not to mention all the other girls as well. He's paying for his womanizing crimes once and for all."

Yoneda nodded. "Shikashi, I still can't believe he proposed. Was he drunk?? I mean, doesn't he know that in order to get with Sakura, he has to survive that old demon woman?!"

"Sou da yo. Sakura-kun no obaasan..." Kayama uttered, he and the others picturing a giant fire-breathing elderly lady (who resembled Godzilla) stepping on a little SD Oogami ("UWAAAH!!"). "Yapari! Poor Oogami doesn't stand a chance!"

"Demo ne," Tsubaki said, "We don't know just how serious Oogami-san was. I mean, isn't he just doing this so that he cannot be transferred outside Teito?"

Kaede again glared towards Kayama. "An idea that you put in his head..." Kayama just laughed again and hopped away to a safe distance. "Tonikaku, what are we going to do if Oogami-kun doesn't come back?"

"I've already taken care of that." Yoneda replied, much to their surprise, "Oogami is going to be on the boat tomorrow no matter what."

* * *
Reni and Airisu were gazing out the large windows of the terrace, "Nee nee, Airisu has been thinking." uttered the pensive French girl, "Since Airisu has breasts now, Airisu is really a beautiful woman, ne?? Airisu would make a pretty bride, ne??"

"B-b-b-b-bride??!" Reni gagged, unable to breath for a moment. Coughing, she crumbled to the floor, her face blue.

Airisu crossed her arms trying to ignore a reaction she found insulting. "Regardless of what Reni thinks, Airisu would be a pretty bride... which means that Sakura doesn't have to marry Onii-chan. Airisu can!" She then cheerfully skipped down the hall, humming the wedding march.

"Jotto matte!!" Reni gasped, running after her, "Airisu, you can't marry Taichou... Boku... boku wa...!!"

Airisu opened Sakura's door, "Hora, Sakura~! You don't have to marry Onii-chan..." She stopped to see that no one was in the room. "Are?? Sakura... inai."

Reni skidded to a stop, catching her breath. "Yokkata..." she sighed with relief.

* * *
'Just a bit longer...' Oogami told himself again. He had his head down, the water running down her face. But he felt numb to it all. 'This suffering is nothing compared to being without Sakura and everyone... I won't give up!'

Suddenly he felt something. Lifting his face, he skimmed the blurry scene. He could see someone running towards him with a black umbrella. She stopped a few feet away, panting and trying to catch her breath. "Oogami-san...!"

"SAKURA-KUN!!" he happily exclaimed, as he lunged forward and hugged her, the two of them breathing hard, "I... I knew you'd come...!"

"I'm sorry for being so late." she tearfully uttered, stroking his face, "You're so cold because of me... honto ni gomen nasai!"

"Iya, daijoubu da!" he gasped, "Every minute was worth it!"

"Oogami-san, what are we going to do now?" she asked, as they held onto each other. She suddenly went red. "...OH!!"

An excited crowd had surrounded them, clapping and making a ruckus, "Go Niisan!!/ Isn't that the Teito actress?? / Woo hoo!! / Kiss! Kiss! / Do it~!"

"Uwaah! Let's get out of here!" Oogami cried as he grabbed her hand and ran off.

* * *
"Achooo!" Sumire blew her nose into her handkerchief, turning towards the window. "Aaaan... watakushi wa Teito no TOP STAR... I'm not supposed to get sick! A-Aaachoo!!"

"God bless you!" Erica said, entering through the door with a tray of hot soup, "Sumire-san, are you any feeling better??"

"Iie," Sumire grumbled, pulling the covers over her head, "And you're not helping it. Go away."

"Demo, I can sing you a song to go to sleep." Erica insisted, "It's not fun to be sick and on your own." She then broke into some French church hymns.

'Mattaku! I'm gonna go crazy!!' Sumire thought, trying to cover her ears. Just then, the door went flying open. Sumire happily jolted up, "Nee! What's happened now?!"

"Sakura-han's on the phone ya!" Kouran explained, "Hurry downstairs!"

"Yoshi!" Sumire said, leaping out of bed and ran off with the crowd, in her long nightgown and slippers.

"M-Matte!" Erica cried, chasing after her, "You're supposed to stay in bed and drink lots of fluids!! Sumire-saaaan!!"

* * *
In the business office, everyone gathered around Maria who was on the phone, except the dazed Kasumi who hadn't moved since morning. "Sakura, where are you now?!" Maria gasped.

"Ano, traffic was terrible and the streetcar was closed down. Soushite the weather was getting worse. Dakara..." Sakura stammered on the other line, "Atashi-tachi checked into a hotel..."

"KYAAAAAAAAA!!" screamed the excited crowd over the phone.

Yuri snagged the phone. "Sakura-san, please tell me all about it when you come back! Promise?!"

Sumire stole the phone away. "Ara~! Sakura-san!" Softening her voice, she uttered, "For now, please think about your own happiness."

A pause followed. Sakura cheerfully replied, "Hai! I will!"

Kaede then took over the phone. "Where is Oogami-kun!? I need to tell him something!"

"Oogami-san is taking a shower right now. I can give him your message, Kaede-san."

Kaede angrily exclaimed, "Tell that pervert to keep his hands to himself!!"

Everyone in the background put in their own messages. "Don't listen to her! /Go for it! / Sou de~su!! / Do it~!"

"Minna-san! Please get your minds out of the gutter!!" Sakura gasped. She then calmed down. "Don't worry about us. I'll try to convince Oogami-san to come back in the morning. Oyasumi nasai, Minna-san!"

After hanging up, Sakura heard the door open. "Did you call the Teigeki?" Oogami asked, still drying his hair with a towel as he walked towards her in a tee shirt and shorts. He stopped and stared at her. "Sa... Sakura... kun..."

She was wearing one of his white polo shirts, and just that. Instantly, she snagged the blanket and hid her bare legs in it. "A-ano, my clothes were wet so..." she stammered as he stumbled towards her, "I-I hope you don't mind!"

They fell silent and looked into each other's eyes. 'Not good, I'm getting dizzy...'

Oogami slowly pulled her to him. "Sakura-kun, you're shaking... are you cold?"

"I-Iie, d-daijoubu desu." she stammered, "I guess... I'm nervous... I-I know we've known each other for many years now, demo everything is moving so fast..."

"Gomen." he said bowing his head, "I'm sorry if it seems like I'm pressuring you, demo if I don't get married within these two days, I'll surely lose all that I love. I don't want that. I want to stay with everyone forever."

"I assure you, Oogami-san, you'll never lose any of us. And, I won't give you up without a fight. Demo, I can't marry you."

Oogami's face fell. "Sou ka..." But she lifted her hands from the large sleeves and cupped his face, pressing a soft kiss on his forehead. "Sakura-kun...?"

"Please try to understand... the way it is now feels right. Let's not ruin it by rushing things. Even if time isn't on our side, I promise you - within time, I'll be ready for anything. Until then, please wait for me."

"Of course... For as long as it takes, I'll wait." Oogami happily said, hugging her tight, "As long as I can stay with you and everyone, I'm happy with any situation!"

"K-Kyaa!!" she gasped, falling backwards with him glomped on her. Slowly, she smiled. "Oogami-san, I'm happy too. From here on, we'll always be together, I promise..."

* * *
"Fuuaaaaa..." Sumire pressed her fingertips against the terrace windows. The rain was still falling and the skies still very dark on this cold winter morning. 'Sakura-san to Chuui...'

"Aa, Sumire-san! Ohayou!" Kurisu said walking up to her, "I heard that you have caught a cold. Shouldn't you be resting?"

"I'm Teito's TOP STAR, I don't get s-s-si... ACHOOO!" Sumire dropped her head in embarrassment while Kurisu took out his hankerchief. "Arigatou yo, demo I'm not sick!"

"Sou desu ka..." He let out a sigh and turned towards the windows, "I wonder... what kind of place Jiru-san is going... I heard it might be the same place as Oogami-san... someplace far away."

"Ara??" Sumire crossed her arms and examined the saddened look in his face. "Your dear taichou is leaving as well? Maa, we should really speak with this Hanakoji and put up a protest."

"The others thought so. Kentarou-tachi went down to his lodgings and try to demand an appointment, but got turned away. It seems there's no hope at all for a change. Oogami-san... soushite, Jiru-san... what are we going to do without them?"

Sumire couldn't say anything. She patted him on the shoulder and then turned for the hallway. Coquelicot came running from the stairs, "Nee nee! Breakfast is ready! Please come down!"

* * *
In the cafeteria, everyone was enjoying breakfast. Suddenly, Orihime ran in and snagged a roll off the table, then gulped down Glycine's coffee. "What the heck do you think you're doing?!?" Glycine exclaimed, as the Italian girl wiped her mouth with a napkin and prepared to run out.

"Datte~!" Orihime replied, wearing her raincoat and holding a suitcase, "I'm going after Takeshi-sa~n!!" The room filled with general shock as Jiru happily poured her a thermos of coffee. "Oh, arigatou gozaima~su..."

"Jotto matte, Orihime-san!" Hanabi said, "W-What do you mean... go after Takeshi-san?? Are you going to go and live in Sendai now?!"

"Dekimase~n... I cannot do that." Orihime sighed, still waving around the note, "De~mo! I cannot give up! Nippon no otouko DAIKIRAI~! Demo... Takeshi-san is the one I belong with!! As long as he feels the same way, I will do anything in my power to keep us together~!"

Everyone clapped and cheered her on as she bolted out the room. They turned back to their breakfast. "Desu yo ne desu yo ne!!" Yuri cried, looking around, "Oogami-tachi hasn't come back yet... they must've go through with it!"

"Kyaaa, eloping sounds so romantic!" Airisu sighed, folding her hands together.

"Heeeeeh?! E-ELOPE?!" Kurisu and Reni exclaimed, their faces all red. Kurisu, in his shock, missed Sumire's teacup and poured the tea kettle onto the table.

"KKKKKI!! Watch out!!"

"Demo!" Tsubaki cut in, "Wouldn't it be Shinguji Ichirou now?? After all, he has to marry into her family because it's one of the three great families of Japan."

Everyone stopped eating and thought about it. "KYAAAA! OOGAMI NO LONGER EXISTS!!"

"Minna, calm down!" Maria said, waving her hands, "I'm sure Sakura was able to talk some sense into him. As for how we're going to keep Taichou, I haven't any ideas..."

An unusually sober Yoneda crossed his arms. 'There's nothing you can do... it's already too late...'

* * *
'This is it.' Oogami and Sakura stood outside the Teigeki, gazing up at the front entrance. Oogami looked reluctant to go in there and face everyone. Sakura just smiled and took his hand, the warmth putting his mind at ease. Finally, they started up the stairs together.

"Taidama~!" Oogami called out, reaching the door and opening it.

"Okaeri nasai," replied an angrily Kaede, who gave him a good slap across the face.

"UWAAAH?!" Oogami stumbled a step backwards, "K-Kaede-san??! Doushita?!"

Fire burned in her eyes. "Oogami-kun... I'm onto your nasty game! How dare you re-route your feelings towards my sister to me! I trusted you! I thought we were good friends, but you have taken advantage of this relationship!" she snapped, readying a fist, "'Oh, Kaede-san... hold me! I afraid!'... KONO PLAYER!!!"

"Maa maa maa!!" Kayama appeared behind her and held her at bay, "Kaede, calm down! The couple just got back and you're already adding trouble to their marriage!"

"C-Chigaimasu. We didn't get married." Sakura replied, looking back and forth at the teary-eyed Oogami and the raging Kaede. ("Seems the usual has happened...")

"Heeeh??" Kayama noted, still holding onto his wife, "Sou ka! You skipped the ceremony and went straight to the honeymoon? Ii na ii na!!"

"C-CHIGAU!" Oogami gasped, "Ore-tachi decided that it's too soon. Sakura-kun says she isn't ready, so I'll wait."

"And by the looks of it, Oogami-san isn't ready either." Sakura giggled, "Honto ni! Oogami-san has a long way to go to prove his player days are over."

"H-Hai, Sakura-kun..." he sighed, dropping his head in defeat. He then saw some men in black coming up from behind Kaede and Kayama. "N-Nan da!?" They just pushed their way through and grabbed him, running off with him. "UWAAAAH!? HELP!!!"

"Oogami-san!" Sakura gasped, helping the couple who would've fell down the stairs because of Kayama's crutches were knocked out from under him, "Matte kudesai...!!"

"Sakura, yamero!" Yoneda called, stepping outside with everyone else, "Just let him go."

"What's going on, Shihainin?!" Maria asked, glaring towards the speeding car that went down the street, "Who were those people?!"

"That was the Baragumi. I've asked them to escort Oogami to the port today."

"S-Sonna...!" Airisu tearfully exclaimed, "Onii-chan is leaving today?! That's not fair! Airisu-tachi didn't even get to say goodbye!"

"Taichou doesn't even want to go, you bastard!" Lobelia snapped, "Why are you making him do something he and everyone is against!!"

"Sou yo!!" Kanna snarled, forming some fists, "You make me so pissed off, KONO JIJI! The hell with orders!!"

"It's for his own good." Yoneda sighed, "We can't do anything to change it. We can't keep him here to ourselves. He has too much potential and will do a lot of good for others by leaving here. Someday, Oogami will thank us for giving him so much wonderful experiences and memories..."

"CHIGAIMASU!" Sakura exclaimed, "Oogami-san doesn't want to live off memories... he just wants to keep making memories with us... there's no way that I'll give him up!!" She then broke into a run into the street, "OOGAMI-SAAAAAN!!"

"S-Sakura...!" Yoneda gasped, about to go after her, but then heard a loud noise from inside the Teigeki. Apparently Kasumi had wakened from her stupor.

"THAT BASTARD!!!"

* * *
In the car, the kidnappers revealed their identities. "Masaka!!" Oogami gasped, lying in the lap of Yokohiko, "Minna... doushite??!"

"It's our mission." Kotone replied, peering back from the passenger seat as Kikunojou drove, "We have been personally asked to bring you to the sea port on your departure from Teito, one day early."

"D-Demo!" Oogami exclaimed, "I already decided not to go!"

"Ichirou-chan, don't be so indifferent." Yoko said, going to unbutton his shirt, "Now let's change you into your navy uniform."

"NANI!!?" he screamed as clothes started to fly, "OI! DAME!! YAMEROOOOOO!!!"

"K-Kya!! Oogami-san!!" Kiku gasped, staring up into the rear view mirror, the car swerving a little. She, er, he slowly smiled. "Ii yo..."

Kotone let out a laugh. "Oogami-taichou sure is cute when he blushes. It's too bad we left the camera behind." He then noticed something very odd. "Are?? That girl is following us!"

"Sakura-kun!!" Oogami called, squirming about and sticking his head out the window. He was now in his navy uniform, even though he was against it. "SAKURA-KUN!!"

"Oogami-san!!" Sakura picked up the pace, but saw that a group of cars were getting in her way. 'Shimatta!! At this rate, I'll lose them!' Her eyes then lit up. 'Aa! Sou ka!!' She quickly caught up to the streetcar and jumped aboard.

"Phew! That was close!" Kiku sighed, stepping on the gas to gain speed and got ahead of the crowd. But then they had to stop as the streetcar was going to cross in front of them. "Sonna!!" he cried when Sakura came into view.

Instantly, they backed out of the street and sped into an alley. But when they came out the other side, the street barriers popped up. "N-Nani?!" Yoko gasped, "Demo, atashi-tachi aren't at battle... why is the defense security up?!"

In the sky appeared a large projection with Kasumi on the screen. "Kotone-san!!" she angrily exclaimed, "Don't think you can get away!! You can't run from me forever!! Hand over Oogami-san NOW!!"

"Jotto matta!" Kotone exclaimed, as the Shougeimaru flew into view. "Kasumi-chan, calm down! I'm just following orders!!" Her rage suddenly turned to tears. "I-Iya... well, that part was not orders... please stop crying!!"

"T-Taichou!!" Kiku cried, "The koubu are heading this way! It's getting really ugly!! Shall we get out of here the way we came?!"

Meanwhile, Sakura was running through the alley. 'A life without Oogami-san... iya, I won't allow it!!' She stopped to see the car backing her way. "H-HAH?!?"

"Sakura-kun!!" Oogami cried, seeing her through the window. It sounded like glass breaking, as the spirit shield burst from her, but shatter in an instant. "IYAAAA!!" Oogami broke free and kicked the door open. But, his footsteps ceased when he saw her. "S-Sonna...!"

She was lying on the ground, her mind a blur as pain surged all over. Slowly she lifted her hand over her face, the red blood the only color in a black and white world. 'Haja...' she thought, laughing to herself, '... that power I inherited... didn't work this time... atashi no baka...'

Faintly she could hear Oogami calling for her in the background, but the darkness was winning. Blood splattered to her cheek as Sakura closed her eyes, her hand dropping to her side, the rain continuing to fall.

* * *

Shouwa 2, Spring

In Ueno Park, Oogami stopped in front of a familiar cherry tree. Wearing a formal gray suit and black tie, he felt the wind pick. Closing his eyes, he left out a sigh, cherry blossoms showering all around him.

'It's been over a year since then... and a lot has changed ... and yet, some things still stay the same. You might be wondering what happened afterwards. Well... this is the answer...'

"Ichirou-saan~!!"

Oogami's eyes flickered opened. He turned around just in time for a woman to run into his arms. She wore a soft pink dress and flowers in her hair. Smiling at each other, they leaned in for a kiss.

"Ichirou-san..." she uttered, drawing away.

He paused to brush a petal off her cheek, "Sakura..."

'Since the accident, Sakura's eyes have lost it's red color. Back to the warm brown eyes that lovingly stare back at me, anticipating anything. Since the accident, she shows no fear of the Haja blood or doubts the future. She is a stronger Sakura than ever. However, that very accident, which Sakura almost lost her life in, allowed me to stay in Teito, to be by her side. The recovery was difficult, but we made it through because we were together.'

"Aa! Sourosouro, minna-san is looking for you everywhere. They're about to serve the fifth course." Sakura noted, taking his hands, "Ikimasho?"

"Yo Oogami~!" cut in a voice. Kayama waved his hand as he walked over with a baby in his arms. "Oh! Sakura-kun mo!! Hehehe, you two wanted to go off alone?? Ii na~!"

"Sou yo, Yuichi! It's very fitting to see these two lovers together here." Kaede giggled, standing at his side, her hair a little longer from the past year. She happily took hold of the baby boy as her husband went to playfully tease the couple. "It's spring, nee?"

'Kaede-san and Kayama's baby boy, Keichi, is five months old. And really cute. I wonder if someday I'll have a little precious bundle like him. Already, Kaede-san has announced that she's pregnant again and this time they're trying for a girl.'

The rest of the group arrived. "Oogami-han, you're popular as ever!" Kouran chimed, "These lovesick girls say they're fans of a certain Teito ticketboy... Better tell them you're taken ya!"

"H-Hai...!"

'As a result of my cancelled transfer, I haven't been issued any transfers since. However, during Kayama's recovery from his injured leg and Kaede-san's maternity leave, I had to take care of some business as a favor at the Tsukigumi headquarters, in Sendai. There, I had a chance to speak with Sakura's family... and well...'

A drunk Yoneda stumbled over, rubbing Oogami on the head, messing up his hair in the process. "Oogami, don be discouraged... (hic)! Tat ol coot ain't in charge of yor destiny, yoo are! Jus ash Sakuwa yersef...(hic) (hic) better yet, lesh drink so'more..."

"Mou! No more drinking~!" Orihime exclaimed, running over in a bridal gown, as this was the reception to her wedding, "Come and eat~!! The food is waiting~!!"

'According to Reni and Airisu, who are spending the year in France, much has happened to the Paris Hanagumi. Glycine-kun went searching the countryside in search of a good lover, but came home with a new horse. But she says the horse-trainer is pretty cute. Hanabi has become an actress in Paris and is getting lots of suitors. She seems very happy now, and also a bit more open with her emotions. Coquelicot is in school, but comes to visit Airisu's home very often, as those two finally became friends. Lobelia is working hard as a leader in the capitol's defenses, while at the same time having a good time in the Paris nightlife. As for Erica, she was let back into the monastary to study to become a nun, only to fall in love with a man named Henri who was studying to be a priest. They are living happily now in the countryside, but both want to move to Japan. So it seems the French Hanagumi is doing well. Perhaps someday we'll have a reunion.'

"Taichou, Sakura," Maria said, walking over with a tray, "Try this espresso. It's really good with the cake."

"Jotto matte!!" Orihime exclaimed, "You're already on dessert?! You're supposed to eat more! We've got four more courses to go!!"

"Lead the way!!" Kanna happily exclaimed, in an strangely fitted pink dress, "I'm starving!! The last time I ate was like five minutes ago!!"

'The plays still continue and I'm still the ticketclipper. The position I was to take across the Pacific, was given to Jiru-kun. However, her former squad, the Yumegumi stowed away on the boat and ended up with positions in the new squad. Kouran has taken over at the Hana-yashiki, heading any new research projects. Meanwhile, Maria has helped Kanna start plans to make a karate school, while Sumire-kun has starred in a couple successful talkies. Unfortunately for Sumire-kun, she had been chosen as the maid of honor for Orihime-kun and Takeshi's wedding...'

"Datte, you're good at this sort of thing..." Sakura laughed when asked why she wasn't chosen, "Daijoubu desu! I'll be your maid of honor at your wedding, Sumire-kun!"

"Never gonna happen!" Sumire snapped, "There isn't a man alive worthy of my beauty! Watakushi wa Kanzaki Sumire - TOP STAR of Teito...!!" She stopped to realize that everyone was yawning. "NE! I'm still talking here!!"

Kanna was picking her ear, "Shaddap!! You're going to jinx the wedding with the annoying voice of yours!!"

"NAN DESETTE?!!"

While those two fought, Orihime's papa made a toast. "Per cent'anni!! May the couple live for 100 years!!" The band started up, mazzurcas and tarantellas getting the beat up, while everyone rushed to go dance.

"Orihime-san..." Takeshi sighed, "This is the happiest day of my life..."

"Watashi mo, Takeshi..."

'Takeshi is closing in on his goal to become a family physician, but has made arrangements to live and practice medicine partially in Sendai and partially in Teito. Orihime says they will do anything to make it work, because they love each other so much.'

Oogami put his arm around Sakura. The two of them were left behind as the festivities restarted again. Oogami stared towards Kaede.

'Thankfully, Kaede-san has forgiven me and accepted me back as a friend. Although I was really afraid of becoming like Ayame-san... but at the same time, wished that Ayame-san were there to console me. However, any feelings left for Ayame-san is just the memory of my first heartbreak. And that's all she is, a memory. You can't hold memories. You can't live on memories.'

He now focused on her, the one who had been with him this whole time. Just her presence alone made him feel so content, how could he ask for anything more. Jealousy might possess her for the slightest moment, but she would happily forgive him the next instant. Though ever more inexperienced in these matters, Sakura managed to teach such an undecisive man constant love, as well as patience. Someday, she promised, someday - and he would wait for it regardless.

"Ichirou-san, is something the matter?" Sakura asked, staring up at him. His prolongued silence had caused an longing to hear his voice, something as natural to listen to as the breeze around them. But, he would go into these silent fits and she would be lost to not know whether he had strayed once again from her. Only this time, the way he looked at her, she knew - she felt it.

"I-It's nothing!" he finally blurted out, laughing as he foolishly rubbed his head. "Saa - ikou? Everyone's waiting for us..."

But, this moment, she refused to let pass, as whatever courage she had came bubbling to the surface. Putting her hands on his shoulders, she caught his eyes with hers and held them intensely. "Dame desu, this can't do... I can't go on like this..."

"Sakura," Oogami uttered, absolutely attentive to this sudden change of mood. Leaning closer so that their foreheads touched, he spoke in the most soothing voice, "My love, whatever it is that you want..."

With a bright smile, Sakura replied softly, "Let's get married."

*********************************

So the curtain falls onto this stage
And this type of warm and fuzzy life
Finally comes to an end
As Time has proven faithfulness
And destiny is as what we will
The players take their bow and skip the encore
And escort us out the theater doors
Let's look forward for another night of singing
Another day of peace in Teito
And more happy moments to come
Together with the one you love

*********************************

fin
happy day! it's over!
back to st fanfics