Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Sakura Taisen was created by Ooji Hiroi-sensei; all rights reserved to Sega, Red Company, & Bandai Visual
This fanfiction is by JillM original posting: August 31, 2001. small revisions: Nov. 2001
Notes: Shouwa era follows Taishou era, (which the st world takes place in). Btw, ‘ite/itai’ are sounds of pain. Hakama is traditional Japanese clothes. “Love of Asagao” is a Japanese legend of a woman searching for her love with the fan he gave her. Her tears made her blind, but she still continued to sing from town to town looking for her love. Convolvulus (aka 'Morning Glory') is the flower of faithfulness and devotion.

Smite the Enemy - Oogami, fight for the future
Episode 13: "Three Months"


Wearing a white tuxedo, Oogami watched the couples take the floor as the orchestra stuck up a waltz. Surprisingly, no one came running to ask him to dance, but he felt relieved. He had danced already sixteen times for the night with different partners. His feet really ached, as he couldn't find a place to sit. Leaning against a post, he tapped his toe along with the song.

'Everyone is having a good time tonight. I'm glad. After such a difficult battle, it really feels good to get loose. ...In this time of peace, there have been some changes in Teito. We have a new emperor and thus a new era. I hope this era will be prosperous and that the people of Teito can live without fears or threats... but that's only a wish. Somehow I know, my duty will come once again. That only makes these small breaks mean much more...'

"Ichirou-kun~!" Jiru chimed, standing at his elbow with a tray of drinks, wearing a blue party dress, her black hair up in a bun. "What happened to the mobs of girls?? It's strange to see you just standing around during a waltz."

"Sou desu ne!" he chuckled, "Would you like to dance with me, Jiru-kun??"

"Kyaaa?! Watashi?!" she stammered, as he put aside her tray and started to lead her out onto the floor. "Sore wa chotto! I-I can't dance at all!!"

"ITE!" Oogami gasped as she stepped on his foot. "You were right. Demo na, I don't mind. I've wanted to congratulate you for your achievement - you finally drove a koubu after all."

Jiru happily nodded. "I don't know how it happened, but when Kaede-san said that I should give it a try even with the past failures, it actually responded to me. I must've become stronger these couple months with everyone at the Teigeki."

Oogami smiled. "Yokkata desu, Jiru-kun! I wouldn't have expected any less from the Taichou to the Yumegumi, which Ayame-san personally appointed. I'm sure you'll have a bright future."

"Arigatou gozaimasu!" she replied, going to step on his foot again, "Aa, aa! Gomen!!"

Meanwhile, members of the Yumegumi watched with narrowed eyes. "Ano yarou! He's dancing with Jiru!!" Suzuki cursed, "I'll give him a piece of my mind later!!"

"Yare yare... Taichou is just bruising his feet." Samu replied, "It's a completely harmless situation... for Taichou that is."

"Still!!" Kentaro cried, "We've got to protect Taichou from that perverted player!!"

"Uwah, is Jiru-san going to be okay?!" Kurisu gasped, “Let’s keep up the surveillance!!” They quickly hid behind the table display of a woman ice statue.

Passing them, Yoneda walked up to the dancing pair. "O-gami! We bin woogin porya!! Cim wit me...!" he uttered, taking hold of Oogami's arm and Jiru's, "Wootoo, Jiwu...(hic!)"

"Shihainin, are you drunk already?!" Oogami cried as the topsy-turvy guy dragged them along, "It's not even ten o'clock yet!" Even with the protest, Yoneda snagged another drink on their way to the other side of the party, where Oogami recognized some important people. "Hanakoji... Yamaguchi-san... soshite, Grande Meré?!"

"It's nice to see you again," the round French woman said, walking up to him, "You look good and fit. I expect nothing less from the Hanagumi Taichou."

"A... Arigatou..." he stammered, rubbing his head bashfully, "Aa, demo what are you doing here??"

"I've come for my girls." Grande Meré explained, "Vacation has long been over. I'm afraid that if I didn't come, they wouldn't want to leave this place, as charming as it is. Paris really needs them."

"Sou ka..." Oogami uttered, "Erica-kun and the others have to go home then."

"Seems so." Hanakoji noted, "This time, we'll be building up our strengths and recuperating from our losses, making sure we're more prepared for another threat. However, the military and secret networks have done a good job in tracking down the dark societies and their followers with the information gathered from the ADIA project. It'll be a while until the next threat, but that doesn't mean we can completely feel at ease."

"Hai!" he and Jiru replied, reverting to military form for a moment. They relaxed as Yamaguchi started waving a champagne bottle in front of them. "Adeez, you young'ns don't have to worry too much. You've got a good future!"

"Especially this young man right here." Grand Meré noted, Hanakoji nodding in agreement, "Such a wonderful leader and strategist... I can't wait to see you in France again."

"Chotto matte!!" Yamaguchi snapped, "The navy has been calling day and night for this fine Lieutenant to hit the deck once again! He's been off duty for long time!"

"OI!!" Yoneda angrily joined the quarrel, "What da hell you two saying??! We've got a new play coming up - who's suppose to clip the damn tickets?!" He then took the champagne bottle and drank it down. "Aa, let's just party and drink more booze..."

While Grand Meré argued with Admiral Yamaguchi, Jiru smiled over at Oogami. "Sounds like you're very popular, ne Ichirou-kun?"

Oogami slowly nodded, turning towards Hanakoji. "We have yet to decide where you shall be transferred next, Oogami-kun... demo, you can count on it happening soon. A young man full of potential can't stay inactive for long. You have a wonderful future ahead of you..."

"Ha... Hai..." he replied, his dark eyes saddening as the night carried on.

* * *
"Waaw!!" Erica gasped as the Yumegumi were eating everything on the table. "God really gifted them with wonderful metabolisms! Demo na, I haven't seen Jiru-san anywhere. Where is she during this feasting fray??"

"Oh, Jiru-oneechan is over there with Onii-chan." Airisu explained, wearing a sleeveless yellow flowing dress. Everyone just stared at her. "Nani ka? ... Aa! Sou da!!" She happily twirled around and posed for them, "This morning, Airisu woke up and had breasts! Airisu has really become an adult now! Kyahahahaha!!" A round of sweat beads followed.

Reni noted, "Airisu, I'm glad you're happy. You've really grown up these past years, and your body is catching up with you. Yokkata na." Now the Paris Hanagumi were staring at her. "N-Nani? Boku da?"

"Y...You're wearing a very feminine dress, Reni-kun..." Hanabi uttered, "M-Masaka... anata wa...!!"

"Are you really... a-a-a-a... GIRL?!" Coquelicot stammered, her face all red. Reni nodded. "KYAA?!?! All this time...?!?!"

Glycine crossed her arms. "What about the Baragumi?? Aren't they all women as well?? Really ugly women, I might add." Reni and Airisu both shook their heads. "Dammit!" Glycine grumbled as Lobelia held out her hand. She then put her purse in it and dropped her head in defeat.

"Minna!!" Jiru exclaimed, clobbering each of her soldiers on the head at the buffet, "What are you thinking??! Save some for me!!" With that, the Tsukigumi continued to clear the table with their Taichou as the lead.

"Ano..." Hanabi in her black evening gown walked up to Oogami, who was gawking at the beginnings of a food fight. "I know you're probably tired of being asking this, but could I have this dance with you, Oogami-san?"

"Sure, Hanabi-kun." he replied, taking her hand and leading her out to the floor. "Aa, that reminds me... didn't you say you had something you wanted to talk to me about after the battle?"

Hanabi lowered her eyes for a moment as the music softened. Oogami twirled her around twice, but when she met up with him again, she saw that his gaze was scanning the crowd.

"Oogami-san, the truth is I wanted to tell you... how I... felt..." she stammered. This got his attention and he stared at her with wide eyes, his feet ceasing to move. She let out a sigh. "Demo... I know you like someone else right now."

"Hanabi-kun... gomen."

"Demo, I'll stay cheerful and keep trying hard to find someone of my own. I won't ever give up on love." She then smiled at him. Oogami slowly returned the warm smile and then twirled her around one more time. Laughing, they moved onto happier talk.

"I should've known!" Yuri said, watching with a pair of binoculars, "That's the 17th girl he's danced with tonight! Oogami-san is such a womanizer!"

"You're keeping count, Yuri-san?" Tsubaki sighed, rubbing her head, "You even danced with him, so I don't see what's the big deal."

"Besides," Sumire replied, whipping out her feathered fan that matched her extravagant sequenced gown with some strange feather train, "Chuui isn't a great dancer at all or kisser for that matter."

Erica and Coquelicot gagged on their drinks and turned towards her. "Jaa... Sumire-san... masaka...?!?!" Coquelicot cried, "You and Ichirou...?!"

"That was a long time ago." Sumire replied, "A very short-lived romance. It just didn't work. He isn't my type at all; too dull and shy for me. I supposed if I didn't have to tell him to be spontaneous every once in a while, we might've had a chance..." She stopped to see that no one was listening to her anymore. "NE! I'M STILL TALKING HERE!!"

Coquelicot gasped, "You too, Maria... dated Ichirou at one point?!?"

"Aa," Maria replied, sipping her drink, "We had a fling in Russia. Demo, I felt we worked better as friends. He's someone I can have a drink with and reminisce old times. He lacks the passion and complexity. Plus, it's like Sumire says - he's a lousy kisser."

"So Oogami-san is really a player after all?!" Erica exclaimed, now that she was clear on the idea of what a player was.

Sumire chuckled. "I have to say Chuui has a perfect match at current. Nothing like seeing two simple people find simple happiness together. OHOHOHOHO!!"

"Sumire-san..." Erica uttered, as the laughter continued. 'She sure cares for Sakura-san... demo, she has a funny way of showing it...'

"Would you shut up already, you oversized peacock!" Kanna snapped, popping up with her platter of fruit, "You're so loud, you're scaring away the pigeons, not to mention party guests!"

"NAN DESETTE?! A PEACOCK!!?"

"With a tail like this!" Kanna insisted, picking up the feather trail and plucking one out. Sumire let out a scream and this broke out into a fight. Everyone just laughed at them and then moved along with their own business.

* * *
"Aaaan!!" Orihime sighed, rushing over and taking a seat, "I think I've had enough dancing for the night! Papa is always insistent! It's time for a break de~su!" She blinked and looked around. "Where did my sweet Takeshi-san go??"

"He's over there dancing with Sakura-han." Kouran replied, handing her friend a glass of juice that was instantly gulped down. "You don't mind at all, Orihime-han??"

"Iie~!" Orihime said, holding out the glass for a refill, "Sakura-san was the reason I met him, so I'm thankful for her."

"Things are going great between you two." Glycine noted, "Even if he's of such a lower standard as yourself, you've really polished him up. Country folk have always been charming though."

Orihime's eyes narrowed as she prepared to snap back, but Lobelia moved in between them. "The guy's sweet. It's rare to find nice guys like that, loyal too. I probably haven't had much luck since most guys I meet are either from prison or gangs. You've got a nice catch, Orihime!" She then whispered over to Glycine, "(Shuddap already!)"

"So, he's going back to Sendai soon? Is he really pursuing his medical career there??" Kouran asked. Orihime didn't say anything. "Maa... I wish him the best of luck in making his dream reality!"

Orihime lifted her head. But then she saw her father waving her over the crowds. "Hai, Papa! Coming~!" she replied, handing Glycine the empty cup as she got up from the chair, "Be right back, ne?" Her eyes watered as she rushed across the floor to her father. 'His dream... demo, our dreams are different...'

"I wonder what kind of place this Sendai is." Glycine uttered, putting the cup aside. She focused on the dancing couple that had attracted a big crowd. "Hmmm..."

"Is this a hint of jealousy I sense??" Lobelia asked, leaning over.

"Hmp! Absolutely not!" she exclaimed as Kouran and Lobelia tried to muffle their laughter. "I could care less for some uncivilized hicks!" Her face tinted red as they fell over, bawling. "Stop embarrassing me at once! Get a hold of yourselves!" Sighing, she frowned and turned away. 'Demo...'

* * *
Oogami walked down the hallway, dragging along a drunk Yoneda. Putting him at his desk in his office, Oogami watched him lean his head down and fall asleep. "Oyasumi, Shihainin." he said softly, leaving the room.

After a couple of steps, he noticed someone in a black tuxedo sitting on the staircase leading to the basement. "Yo... Oogami..." Kayama uttered, his voice weary as he dropped his head and let out a sigh.

"Kayama, what's the matter? You don't look so good." he replied, going to sit next to him, "Did something happen? Tell me about it."

"I don't know what's wrong with me..." Kayama said, reaching for his drink, "Ever since Kaede told me she was having the baby... I feel like... like someone's kicked me in the stomach..." He gulped down the wine and frantically clasped his friend's arm, "I've never been so scared in my life!"

"Kayama..." Oogami noted, "I wish I could help you, but I've got no experience in this area."

Kayama nodded his head, "Sorry to burden you with my troubles. How about you? How are things going?? Tell me some good news, will ya?"

"I don't have any good news." Oogami replied, "Hanakoji is preparing my transfer. I don't know where or when I'm going, but I know it'll be far from here..."

"Gomen na." Kayama sympathetically patted him on the back, "I know how you feel about this place and everyone... I know more than anything, this is where you want to be... some things in life just aren't fair." Oogami sadly nodded his head in agreement.

"Ara, futari tomo!" called a voice. The two guys peered out into the hallway. Kaede crossed her arms, shaking her head at them. "What are you two doing there?? We've been looking for you all over the place."

"S-Sumimasen!" Oogami stammered, getting up. Kayama took one look at his wife, and then finished his wine. "Kayama... maybe you should go easy on the liquor tonight..." Oogami uttered, worriedly checking him.

"What do you mean...?" Kayama asked, trying to get up. In his haste, he lost his footing and fell, rolling down the stairs.

"KA-KAYAMA!!"

"YUIICHI!!!"

* * * Kayama slowly opened his eyes. He was in the medical room, Kaede clasping his hand tightly. "W-What happened?" he weakly asked, looking around. He then saw his left leg in a case. "Chikuso..." he sighed, also feeling the effects of a hangover.

"You're lucky you just broke your leg." Kaede scolded him, "It'll be a long while for it to properly heal, so it seems you'll have to take some time off from work."

"Hai hai..."

A long pause followed. "Oogami-kun told me you were having troubles with me having a baby." she suddenly said. Kayama's face went pale. "Sou... you don't want me to?"

"Chigau yo!!" he frantically cried, "It's different... I just... I..." He held onto her hands, leaning as close to her as he could. "I'm worried... about the future..."

Kaede stared at him for a moment and then started giggling. "It's strange hearing you say things like that. You of all people are always so confident and optimistic. To hear you have fear about the future, I'm very surprised!"

"Maa maa maa... I don't see what's so funny though," he replied.

"It's my turn then... I won't be scared at all. Everything will be all right... I promise you, Yuichi."

Kayama sighed and closed his eyes, relaxing from her touch. After listening to her sweet reassurances and taking some painkillers, he went back to sleep, his hand dropped from her shoulder. Kaede then stepped out the room where the others were.

"He's going to be fine. Don't worry anymore." Takeshi said, "Thanks for letting me look at him. It was wonderful practice making a split and case. If anyone else seems to break something, give me a call."

"Sou de~su!" Orihime cried, hugging his arm, "My Takeshi-san is going to be a wonderful doctor! I just know it~!" She then dragged him down the hallway and upstairs. It was already early the next morning, but they had been up all night, still in their party clothes.

Oogami, his tie off, leaned against the wall and smiled towards Kaede. "Yokkata desu ne... Do you want me to call a taxi for you, so that Kayama can rest at home?"

"Hai, onegaishimasu." As they walked down the basement hallway, she noticed that he had stopped, very deep in thought. "What's wrong, Oogami-kun?"

"It's just... I had a strange feeling just now. Like..." he uttered, looking around. Shaking his head, he sighed, "It's nothing."

"Heeh? That sigh means definitely something, not 'nothing'." Kaede said, eyeing him over. "Whenever it is, please let us know if we can help. The Hanagumi sticks together through anything." She then warmly smiled. "Ne, Oogami-kun?"

"Hai, Ayame-san." he said happily nodding his head.

Kaede's eyes widened. "O... Oogami-kun... you just..." He just stared at her, oblivious to what he had called her. "Iie... it's nothing..." she stammered, backing away from him. She then turned for the medical room. "I'll see you later."

"Hai..." Oogami uttered, waving after her. 'What was that all about?' He then looked around one last time. 'It was here, wasn't it?'

* * *
Meanwhile, the others were finishing up breakfast and heading for the stage. "Wai wai! A new play already!" Airisu chimed, squeezing Jean-Paul in one arm and Reni in the other, "The month passes quickly ne? Let's get started, minna~!"

Maria picked up the script booklet approved by Yoneda. "Seems we'll be producing 'Love of Asagao'. The cast has yet to be decided."

"OH!! Can I be Komagochi-sama!?" Erica exclaimed, waving her hands in the air to get their attention. "Onegaishimasu!!"

"Erica no baka," Glycine grumbled, "You're not even going to be here to be in the play..."

"Still! I want to try on a hakama!"

"Actually," Maria uttered, rubbing her head, "I was thinking of having Kanna play him. She really looks good in a hakama."

"Thankyou!" Kanna chuckled, blushing slightly, "But who's going to play Asagao?" There was a long pause. Kanna's face went pale. "Masaka... not the snake woman!!"

"ARA!! What's with the name-calling?! So early in the morning too!!" Sumire snapped, fangs coming out as she slammed her teacup onto the small table.

Everyone fearfully backed away from her. "Kyaaa..."

"It's only natural that after experiencing a play full of amateurs to put the TOP STAR of Teito as the lead...!"

"Ano," Hanabi noted, looking from side to side, "Where is Orihime-san this morning? Doesn't she want to find out her role in the upcoming play?"

"Oh yeah! I just remembered!" Kouran said, climbing over the chair to get to her, "Orhime-han said she has a brunch date with Takeshi-han and her father. She's getting ready now because she had been in her party dress all night." Her glasses flashed. "With ano aitsu ya..."

"Heeeh??" everyone uttered, finding this news both interesting and embarrassing.

* * *
In the business office, Yuri was telling Kasumi the same news. "Can you believe it?! They were together all night! I mean, that's SCANDAL written all over it! I wonder what Shihainin will think about it or Orhime-san's father, or...!"

Kasumi just sighed and continued to file paper work. "I heard that she was just helping him take care of Kayama-san who had an accident last night. You can confirm it with Oogami-san, who came in here to call a cab for them."

Yuri scratched her head. "Demo... they live just a block away. Why did they need a cab for??"

"Didn't you hear a thing I said??!" Kasumi boomed, papers flying everywhere, "Kayama-san broke his leg and can't walk home!!!" Just then the phone rang and she answered it, once again in a calm sweet voice. "Hai, mushi mushi - Daiteikoku Gekijou... Hai... hai... wakarimashita..."

Yuri turned away, her eyes slanted. "Mou, another play is starting and my life is going to be busy once again with work, work, work! I didn't even get to meet some cute guys on the break..." Her misery turned to rage. "How can you act so calmly, Kasumi-san?! Our beauty is withering away!! We're two beautiful flowers waiting to be picked!!"

Kasumi just giggled, going to pick up a stack of papers and walk to the desk to work. Yuri glared towards the back of her head. 'She has some sort of secret... mou!! You're so cruel, Kasumi-san!! I'll find it out on my own!!'

"MINNA!" Tsubaki called, running into the office, dragging Tsubomi along, "Taihen desu! We was passing in the hallway, when I saw Oogami-san bring some boxes upstairs from the storage room."

"So?? Perhaps he's helping the Paris Hanagumi pack. They’re leaving very soon." Kasumi replied, shuffling a stack and handing it to her, "Please take care of these before lunchtime, Tsubaki-chan."

"D-Demo! Oogami-san also brought one to his room. We followed and spied on him for a good half hour!" she cried, trying to avoiding the paperwork and eventually using poor Tsubomi as a shield, "What does this mean?? Is he leaving again??"

This finally got their attention. "Hanakoji-san was talking closely with him last night. Surely, something is going on..." Yuri noted, rubbing her chin, "I wonder... if he's going to France with the Paris Kagekidan."

"S-Sonna!" Tsubomi cried, "Didn't he just come back?! And who's going to clip the tickets for the upcoming play?! This is a bad situation for the Gekijou!"

"Shhhhh!!" Kasumi hushed them all just as someone was passing by. "(We've got to keep down about this until we're absolutely sure. Promise??)" Hesitant nods followed. "Yoshi, until then, let's worry about this work. Whether or not Oogami-san goes anywhere, there's still work to be done."

"H-Hai..." they sighed.

* * *
"Douzo!" Orihime cheerfully poured some tea as she and Takeshi waited for her father at a garden café. While he sipped the hot cup, she looked through the menu. "Is this your first time at an Italian café?"

"Aa... hai..." he stammered, trying not burn himself. "Japanese tea at an Italian café is a unique touch, ne? Arigatou, Orihime-san... for bringing me here. You give me good reason to come to Tokyo. I'm happy to have met you."

"Takeshi-san..." she uttered, her face blushing. She slowly reached into her purse. "Ano... Takeshi-san..." He blinked at her, aware of her sudden change of tone, a very timid tone. "I want to ask you... if... you..."

"Hah?" he said, gazing down at the tickets in her hands, "To Italy?!"

"Sou desu... I'm going home to visit Mama for a month. I'd like it if you could accompany me... I want to introduce you to her so badly..."

"Orihime-san..." Takeshi solemnly stared at her bowed head, her shaking hand covering the tickets on the table. "You know I cannot. Sendai, I have to..."

"DEMO!" she cut in, "You can study medicine anywhere! European medicine is wonderful! I know you can do it! You're so smart, I know you can! You can even easily get an apprentice work here in Tokyo...!"

"That's not the point." he replied, "I want to practice in Sendai, my hometown - the people I've grown up with. It's the reason I decided on this path. It's all I ever wanted to do."

Orihime hardened her face to keep the tears from falling. "Doushite?! Why do you have to stay with that same dream?! Shouldn't it be different now... now that you've met me?!"

"Sou ka..." he uttered, standing and picking up his hat, his eyes lowered, "You think my dreams are simple... you think I'm belittling myself, but this really is who I am. Gomen... I won't change for anyone."

"Takeshi...san...?" Orihime stammered as he turned and walked away from the table. The back of his head blurred as she lost her battle to her emotions. "... typical... typical Japanese man..."

* * *
Oogami entered the basement for another box. Making sure that no one was watching, he turned for the storage room. ‘I should just tell everyone… that I might be leaving soon… but I…’ He stopped and stared at the empty hallway. Before him, he saw the faint memory of two people embracing. ‘Ayame-san…’

“KYAAAAAAAA!!” screamed someone, colliding with him. The two fell to the floor, too dizzy to move for a moment. “K-K-Kowaii yo!!” cried the swirly eyed girl next to him, “It’s so scary!!”

”J-Jiru-kun?!” Oogami gasped, rubbing his head and sitting up as soon as the world stopped its spinning, “W-What happened??” Before she could answer he heard a door open. Jiru quickly jolted up and hid behind him. “Hah??”

”Ano,” Kikunojou said, stepping out of the Baragumi office, “Jiru-san, did you really have to drop-kick Kotono-taichou??”

“He should’ve have been waving that ‘thing’ around in front of my face!! So cruel!!” she sniffed, throwing her arms around Oogami’s neck, “Please keep these crazy people stay away from me!!”

As Oogami struggled to breath as well figure out what was going on, Kasumi showed up. “Oogami-san! Yoneda-shihainin has called for you to come to his office. He says it’s urgent.”

”Hai!” he replied, standing with Jiru still hanging on his back, “E-to… Jiru-kun, could you let go already?”

“Gomen!” She did so and fell painfully onto the floor. “Itai, itai!” But then she spotted the box he had brought. “Aa! I’ve been looking for these all over the place! Arigatou~!”

Kikunojou scratched his head in confusion. “She turns down a bouquet of roses, but only wants an empty cardboard box… strange…” He then turned heel for the office to check on Kotone. “Daijoubu desu ka??”

Yokohiko cradled Kotone’s head, while he still had the footprint on his face. “S-Sugoi power…”

* * *
Oogami stepped into the manager’s office. As soon as the door closed, Yuri, Tsubaki and Tsubomi went scrambling over to the doorknob. “Shhh!!” they told each other as they listened in on the conversation.

Yoneda released the bottle of sake in his hand and pushed forward a white envelope. “Masaka…” Oogami uttered, staring at the kanji of his name, “So soon?”

”Hanakoji had it delivered to me this morning. It seemed they had already decided it at the party.” he replied, pouring another glass, “Open it up and see what your fate is this time.”

Oogami took a seat and flipped open the card. “’Oogami Ichirou-chuui, please report at the docks in 72 hours. The details of your position are confidential, and will be announced at the destination. Estimated time of service – unknown’ … Another secret assignment?”

”Seems so.” Yoneda replied, “I’m sure it’s another secret butai that has a lot of green soldiers. What better way than to have an experienced Taichou as yourself lead them.”

”Demo… 72 hours… 3 days…” Oogami uttered, lowering his head, “I don’t have enough time for a proper farewell… I even leave before the Paris Hanagumi does. And two years?!” He suddenly stood from his seat, his fists clenched. “I don’t want to accept this mission!”

“Oogami,” Yoneda gasped, staring at his rare show of insubordination. “The order has been made. You must follow it. End of story.”

”I don’t want to be some tool – something you can pass around to use for others’ gain. I’m tired of it!” he exclaimed, “Aren’t you even going to fight it, Shihainin?! After all these years, did you want me to just win battles for you?! Is this as far as your feelings go?!”

“CHIGAU!” Yoneda yelled, slamming his fist down. The sake bottle fell off the desk and crashed on the floor, along with the framed picture of the Tai Kouma Butai. Yoneda closed his eyes, calming down. “Oogami… you’re like a son to me… all of you are my kids… to lose one of you… it breaks me apart. But we’ve just got to go along with it, this is how life is.”

Oogami bowed his head, picking up the envelope and turning for the door. The Teigeki Musume quickly scrambled away, hiding around the corner. At the last minute, Oogami looked back at Yoneda. "Shihainin, if for some reason I'm court-marshaled, will you hire me as a ticket-clipper?"

Yoneda stared in surprise. "O-Oogami! Don't do anything you'll regret...!" he exclaimed, but the young man was already out the door.

Oogami continued for the stairs, his eyes burning with determination. 'If I don't do this, I'll regret it for the rest of my life...'

* * *
“So, it is true!” Tsubomi gasped, she and the others returned to the business office. “Oogami-san is really leaving… and in 3 days. What shall we do?!?”

Yuri snapped her fingers. “Tell everyone!”

”Iyada!” Tsubaki protested, “We’ll get in trouble for eavesdropping on that private conversation. Then Kasumi-san will pile on the paperwork to punish us. We’ve got to wait until he or Shihainin announces it.”

”Demo! What if he doesn’t?!” Tsubomi exclaimed her bobbles frantically bouncing, “I mean, what if he tries to leave without anyone knowing?!”

”I say we tell everyone.” Yuri said with a shrug. She then heard footsteps. “Kyaa! Everyone get down!!” she exclaimed, pushing them under the table.

Orihime came inside, her face looking miserable. Storming past the hiding trio, she tearfully exclaimed, “MOU!!! DAMN ALL JAPANESE MEN!!!”

“HEH!?” they gasped as she disappeared down the hall. “What happened to her??”

“What are you doing??” Kasumi asked, arriving in the office and saw them hiding, “Don’t think you can escape this work. Saa! Get up and going! We’ve got to find a supplier and make an order for 50-dozen convolvulus flowers and 1,500 wooden fans before 6pm tonight. Not to mention, sell, sell tickets!”

“Ryokai…” they groaned, climbing out from the table.

* * *
“Ii na, ii na~!” Kayama sighed as Kaede rubbed his shoulders and he munched away on a rice ball, “Being injured isn’t so bad. I can stay home and relax! You get time off too! Ahahaha~!”

"Sou da yo... It's all fun and games until you need to use the tolit..."

"Eheheh..." He then saw something outside the window. “Darling, haven’t you realized? It’s the fourth time Oogami has passed our apartment?”

”Eh?” Kaede peered out the window as well. “Didn’t you say you saw him pass by just ten minutes ago? I wonder what’s going on.”

Kayama pulled the window open and called out to him, “YOOOOO OOGAMI!!”

Oogami, in surprise, tripped and collided with a lamppost. "UWAAAH!"

“What are you doing?! Come inside for a bit!!”

'That guy...' he thought, glaring up at the window and rubbing his head. “No thanks, Kayama! I’m just taking a walk! I don’t want to bother anyone!”

“Oogami-kun!” Kaede leaned out the window. “What good pacing back and forth will do?! Come inside and talk to us!”

Then his eyes met hers; he looked as if he was in pain. Dropping his hands to his sides, he nodded his head and then proceeded to enter the building. ‘Doushite…’ she thought, backing away from the window, ‘Why all of a sudden…?’

Kayama had got his crutches and hopped over to the door to meet his friend. “Oogami!! Tell us all about it!” he said, leading him to the table. His happy grin disappeared as Oogami held out the card. “Sonna…”

Oogami nodded. “All I ever wanted to do was protect Teito… I got my wish, I shouldn’t complain. Demo, I’m tired… I’m tired of moving place to place, befriending women. I’m just tired.”

”Oogami… What you are going to do from here on – That, only one person can decide. And that one person is you.”

“Iya, it’s not me. This person’s decision… my life depends on it.” He then stood and smiled down at his friends, his warm eyes moving back to Kaede. “I’m going now. See you tomorrow.”

’Hah?!’ Kaede quickly grabbed onto Kayama’s arm. Just then, she felt a jolt and needed to hang onto to something. The way Oogami was acting made her feel uncomfortable. ‘Masaka… Oogami-kun… loves…?!’

Oogami stepped outside the apartment, staring up at the dimming sky. “Chotto matte!” Kaede cried, running outside with a shawl, “Oogami-kun, could I ask you something?”

He turned towards her. “What is it, Kaede-san?”

She stopped in front of him and examined him once more. “Before, at the Teigeki, you called me ‘Ayame-san’ and you keep staring at me strangely… Are you… are you still in love with my sister?”

This question left Oogami speechless for a moment, but after the pause he found his words. “Since the moment I heard about my transfer, I’ve been thinking about Ayame-san. How she spent the remainder of her life moving to different places around the world… when really all she wanted to do was stay in the city she loved with the person she loved… It was her decision, to give up what she loved in order to protect everyone’s happiness… I admired her for it. Demo… The person she loved most was you, Kaede-san.”

A soft wind blew around them as Oogami stared into his opened hands. “Oogami-kun…?” Kaede worriedly asked, as the silence continued.

“Even Ayame-san doubted her decision. That time in the hallway, she told me her life of fighting would end fighting and that the one she loved most would be left behind. She asked me to hold her, to make the regret go away. To make her remember to keep going. This whole time, I’ve been wondering if I’m making the same decision Ayame-san had made…”

Kaede moved forward to put her arms around him. “Oogami-kun, for Neesan, I’ll hold you… so don’t long for memories anymore. If Neesan was here, she would want you to do what you felt was right. She’d want to you keep going.”

“Sou ka... I know what I have to do. The outcome is not up to me… what happens now; the person I love most… she will decide for me. Regardless of her answer, I won’t regret it.”

Above them, Kayama was watching from the window. “Maa maa maa!! No fair! I want to hug Oogami too!!” He then reached for his crutches and tried to get up, “Oi oi! Matte! Wait for me!!”

”Gomen na, Kayama!” Oogami laughed, releasing Kaede, “I’ll give you a hug on my next visit! Please don’t overexert yourself and get better soon!!”

Kaede let out a sigh of relief. ‘Phew… Oogami-kun had me worried for a moment… demo, it seems he’s finally figured everything out.’ She gazed after him as he walked away, but then suddenly realized something. 'HE DIDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTION... THAT LITTLE.... ARRRRGGG!!!'

* * *
Sakura sat at her dresser, staring at her calendar. The month had passed by so quickly. Already the date for the next opening night was fixed. Stretching she thought about going to sleep.

But then, she heard knocking at her door. “Sakura-kun? Oogami kedo…” said the voice on the other side. “Could you come out here for a moment?”

”Hai!” she said, walking to the door and opening it. “Oogami-san, what’s the matter?” she asked as she stared at the expression in his face. He just took her hands and pulled her out into the hallway. He then knelt in front of her. “Hah? Nani kore??”

“Shinguji Sakura… ore…” he stammered, gazing into her confused face, “Will you marry me?”

”HEEEEEEEEH?!?” all of the doors opened at once and the other girls peered out in the hallway. Both Sakura and Oogami went red. Maria even came running from around the corner. “NANI?!”

Sakura’s mouth dropped open. “D-Doushite… why all of a sudden…? Oogami-san, are you feeling well?”

“I’ve never felt so sure in my life!” he exclaimed, “Sakura-kun, onegai! I’ll do my best to make you happy!”

“I’m already very happy with my life right now… I can’t possibly ask for anything more…”

“Wouldn’t it be wonderful? The two of us together, for the rest of our lives? Sakura-kun, I love you!”

A round of ‘aaawww’s filled the hallway. Sakura looked down at their linked hands. She then bowed her head. ‘haaaah?!’ went the speculators.

“G-Gomen nasai!” she cried, “I really do care about you, Oogami-san… demo what you’re asking me, it’s just too much… for me to… I cannot… I’m so sorry, Oogami-san!”

Oogami stood, lifting her lowered face. “Sakura-kun…” he uttered, “I just want to stay here with you and everyone… forever. It’s all that I want.”

“Oogami-san…" she stammered as he turned and walked away. But she couldn’t say anymore and he had already disappeared around the corner.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Preview of the final episode!

Sakura: Moments past so quickly and become memories, people you meet come and go… But, only time will tell what will happen to us...

In a storm of Romance and Cherry blossoms, the final chapter next time on Sakura taisen!

Oogami-san, don't give up!


sumire has taken the conclusion away...?!?!
back to ep. 12