And So it Goes


BY: Cassy

Disclaimer: All characters, other than Kimmy and myself (we're real) and Gigs (I'm pretty sure she's real, too), are copyrighted to LKH. And So It Goes by Billy Joel is copyrighted 1983 JoelSongs (BMI), used without permission but with good intentions. Although all places mentioned in this fan fic are real, this IS fiction (or is it?) and written strictly for entertainment purposes. Enjoy. :) ----

That Saturday evening found me sitting at Starbuck's Coffee in
Longwood, Florida, enjoying my caramel macciato. Across from me sat
my friend, Kimmy.  We were indulging in one of our favorite past
times, discussing the Anitaverse.  I had e-mailed her earlier that
week to let her know that I'd finally finished my latest fan art, of
the showdown scene between Anita and Damian at Dance Macabre from
TKD. She had replied that she couldn't wait to see it and asked that
I bring my other two fan art pics with me when we met that weekend.
One was a portrait of Jean-Claude from a scene in GP; the other was
of Asher from a scene in both OOTW and NIC.  She'd said thatt someone
she knew had asked to see them and wanted to meet the artist. Cool!

We were currently discussing songs for an Anitaverse CD she was thinking about putting together. She laughed when I told her about the incident with the song Little Red Riding Hood and a fan fic that Gigs had written recently concerning Jason. Kimmy glanced around suddenly and got a strange, almost excited look on her face. Before I could ask what was up, she said, "Tamara, you remember that song you told me about the other week? The one you quoted the lyrics to?" "And So It Goes by Billy Joel? Yeah," I answered, wondering where she was going with this. "I haven't been able to find a copy of it yet, but I was wanting to hear the tune," she said. "I remember you saying it was haunting." "What? You want me to sing it?" I asked. "I guess I could. But if you don't mind, I'm gonna have to close my eyes to concentrate on it. Otherwise, the background music on the sound system here will make me lose the tune." She smiled and nodded, "Okay."
(I am an introverted extrovert by nature. I know that sounds contradictory. I just mean that I love attention as long as it's on my terms and only when I want it, otherwise leave me alone. And two things I love to do are sing and show off my artwork.) So, closing my eyes, I started to sing, keeping it low enough to keep from attracting attention from the other customers.
In every heart there is a room A sanctuary safe and strong To heal the wounds from lovers past Until a new one comes along I spoke to you in cautious tones You answered me with no pretense And still I feel I said too much My silence is my self defense And every time I've held a rose It seems I only felt the thorns And so it goes, and so it goes And so will you soon I suppose But if my silence --- made you leave Then that would be my worst mistake So I will share this room with you And you can have this heart to beak And this is why my eyes are closed It's just as well for all I've seen And so it goes, and so it goes And you're the only one who knows So I would choose to be with you That's if the choice were mine to make But you can make decisions too And you can have this heart to break And so it goes, and so it goes And you're the only one who knows
As i opened my eyes once I'd finished the song, several things happened at once. I felt a hand stroke my hair close to the nape of my neck, giving me chill bumps. I noticed a rapt expression on Kimmy's face that I know wasn't because of my singing. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye off to my left, the direction Kimmy was gazing. From that direction came a rich male voice that had an almost solid presence to it, "Brava! Magnifique!!" I turned to the source of that velvety voice and found myself staring at none other than Jean-Claude, himself. The hair, the eyes (which I instinctively avoided even in my mild state of shock), the clothes, even the damn burn scar peeking from behind the lace of his open shirt front. Next to him stood a small pale woman with a wealth of black curls. Had to be Ms. Anita Blake.
Okay, I've finally lost it, I told myself. Nothing for it but to ride with it and see where it takes me. Jean-Claude had a delighted, almost gleeful expression on his face when I dared to glance at him quickly. Anita's face was closed. She didn't look angry, but she didn't look happy either. This could get very... interesting, I thought. Then I realized that I still felt a hand resting lightly on the back of my neck, just under my hair. "Who...?" I started to ask Kimmy. Mint scented breath brushed my left cheek close to my ear. There was an underlying coppery smell to it. "Your singing is tres jolie, ma cherie," the whisper came in a voice so like to Jean- laude's it was eerie. The chill bumps that had started to subside came back with a vengeance, and i felt something amost like an electric shock in my gut. Only one being could belong to that voice if Jean-Claude was standing in front of me. Asher.
The second the name formed in my mind, my vision blurred, and I grasped the table as hard as I could to fight off the wave of panic threatening to overtake me. Panic later, Tammy, I told myself. Right now, deal with this! When my vision cleared, I was staring down the barrel of Anita's gun. The way she was standing, it wouldn't have been apparent to any of the other patrons. Her expression had, if anything, gotten colder. Oddly enough, the same thing happened as the last time someone had shoved a gun in my face, nearly twelve years ago. (Armed robbery is an occupational hazard when you work in a convenience store, which I did back then.) I wasn't frightened in the least bit.... I was pissed off! "What -- did -- I -- do?" I nearly spat. "Your eyes changed color. I'm not risking you shifting right here, this close," she stated flatly, the gun never wavering.
Ah, that explained it. "Ms. Blake, I am not a shapeshifter," I said in a much calmer voice than I had used earlier. "Did they go from grey to sea green?" She nodded. "They've always done that, ever since I was a little kid," I explained. "Any time I get excited, upset, or experience any intense emotion, they go green on me. I don't know why. They just do." "Ma petite, believ it is safe to put your weapon away," Jean-Claude soothed. Damn, but that voice was... distracting. "She is speaking truth." "Kimmy, is this the artist you e-mailed us about?" Asher asked. E-mailed them about? "You knew about this?" I demanded. "Yes, this is Tamara," Kimmy answered him, an evil grin on her face. "And she brought the portraits with her."
Oh God! The fan art! They wanted to see them?!! I didn't know whether to scowl or laugh. Even Anita was getting a half-amused look on her face. I settled for a lop-sided grin as I looked across the table at Kimmy. "You are so dead," I joked. She had the nerve to giggle and smirk at me. Yep, I was going to have to come up with a good one to get her back for this. A vaguely familiar-looking blonde guy picked that moment to join the little party. Could he be Jason? He certainly carried himself with that you-want-me-and-you-know-it attitude I had always imagined him with.
Then I realized why he looked so familiar. "You! I thought I saw you playing basketball the other night over at RDV Sportsplex!" "Jason! You went out in public down here?!" Anita exclaimed. Jason went on the defensive. "Relax, Anita! I was careful. jamil was with me, even And we wore disguises." Then to me he asked, "How did you recognize me?" "Oh come on," I snorted. "A short, white man on a basketball court?!! Oh yeah, you really blended in there." Anita grinned at that observation. Asher, who'd rmained behind me all this time, his hand constantly brushing against my hair, the nape of my neck and my shoulders, entered the conversation again. "How is it that you were present to spot our reckless wolf, cherie?" Between the movements of his hand and the caress of his voice, I would probably start purring soon, if he didn't stop. With some difficulty, I focused on the question enough to form a coherent answer. "I work there. Third shift housekeeping. 8:00 pm to 4:30 am." "How in the world did you get stuck with that schedule?" Anita asked. "I requested that shift when I hired on. After three years of working in an un-airconditioned factory/warehouse in the heat of the day, I had to have a change. Never did like getting up at 4 am anyway," I told her. "I enjoy working nights."
I saw Jean-Claude shoot a meaningful glance at Asher, who was still standing out of view behind me. I wondered what that was about, but decided not to ask right then. Asher had stopped "petting" me, but now his hands rested on my shoulders. It struck me as an almost possessive posture. Normally, I can't stand for someone to loom over me like that. But something about this just felt... right. He was standing VERY close behind my chair, but not quite touching. I felt that I could bump his belly if I just leaned my head back just a little. At least, I hoped it would be his belly... had to remind myself that he was tall. With that thought in mind, I decided to not lean back. At least, not yet.
He leaned down by my ear again, the scent of his hair as it brushed against my cheek was intoxicating. I wondered briefly if he was deliberatly trying to seduce me, or if it was just me. "May we see these portraits we've been told about, cherie?" he whispered, then quickly flicked his tongue against my ear. Definitely deliberate. I gasped. Kimmy's eyes widened like she couldn't believe what she'd just seen. Anita scowled at Asher, whom I sensed was completely unrepentant. (He just seemed to be radiating smugness.) A look of pure hunger flashed across Jean-Claude's face (a flaring of the arduer?). And Jason just crouched there by the table grinning like a mad monkey. "Not if you keep distracting me like that, you can't," I laughed shakily. He just chuckled, making me shiver.
At least that took care of any stage fright I might've felt showing them my artwork. Since it was on top, I showed the showdown scene between Anita and Damian first. "Oh my God!" Anita gasped, leaning in for a better look. "It's almost like you were there!" "Oui," Jean-Claude agreed. "A few details are off on Damian's coat, and the sash should have been under the coat, but it is very close to how it actually looked. And she has captured an amazing likeness of you, ma petite ." Trust him to notice the clothes first. "Thank you," I said. "But I couldn't have done it without Ms. Hamilton's vivid descriptions. She is an illustrator's delight." The next one made me a little nervous. It was the portait of Jean-Claude standing in front of Guilty Pleasures waiting for Anita's return to the bachelorette party, as described in GP. I had gotten so sick of uniniated morons telling me that it look like Michael Jackson simply because of the tendril of hair hanging down loose and the frilly shirt. Dammit, Michael was NEVER that pretty or quite that pale.
"Are you sure you've never been to St. Louis?" Jason asked and gave a low whistle. "Why?" "Because that is exactly what the club looks like," he said. "And I'd almost swear Jean-Claude posed for this." I looked more closely at my work then at Jean-Claude. Damn. The resemblance was downright scary. Especially considering that I hadn't known he was REAL when I drew it. "Yes, it does look like he posed for it," Anita agreed, eyeing the master vampire rather narrowly. "I assure you, ma petite, I have never seen this woman before," he protested to her accusing glare. I just kept my mouth shut. Survival tactic.
Kimmy picked that moment to chime in. "Oooo! I know who's next!" "You're enjoying this, aren't you?" I purred at her. Her answer was a wicked grin. I hummed the first bar of Rubber Ducky and was gratified to see her first blanche then blush a bright red. "You wouldn't," she said in a voice suddenly gone hoarse. "Try me," I smiled. Dammit, if I had to be embarassed, then why not spread the joy? Before anyone could ask what that exchange was about, I went ahead and pulled out the last of the pics. Asher, as I'd imagined he'd appeared to Narcissus, leather shirt dangling in his grasp, when he spoke the line, "Whatever I wish?" Oh God, this was embarassing. The coffee shop seemed to get very quiet. Asher's hands were still resting on my shoulders, but only lightly. In a quite voice, so different from the seductive one he'd been using, he whispered," You've drawn me so... beautiful." I had to see him, his face. I just couldn't read that voice. I eased out of his grasp and twisted around in my seat to look up at him. I was instantly glad that I'd remained sitting. What I was gazing up at would have floored me. his hair cascaded to mid-chest like liquid gold. His eyes, sparkling with unshed tears, were the ice blue of a good topaz. The scars that were visible through his hair only served to accentuate his beauty rather than mar it.
Finally, I found my voice. "You are beautiful. I'm afraid i didn't do you justice." He smiled at that and lightly stroked my cheek with a fingertip. I felt myself blush and a paralyzing jolt ran through me. A look of delight lit his face. "Your eyes really do turn green!" he exclaimed. "Tamara, would you honor me by accompanying me for a brief stroll?" Uh oh. I had a feeling I was in trouble. Alone, in the dark, with a devastatingly handsome vampire? Yep, definitely trouble. I looked forward to it. "Now?" I asked. "Oui." He was back to using the "voice" again. I gave a little shiver as I stood up and took his outstretched hand. Jean-Claude reached out and touched Asher's arm, drawing our attention to him. He wore a look of concern. "Are you sure about this, Asher?" "Oui, mon ami. More sure than I've been about anything for a ong time," he replied. With that, he started leading me toward the door. Jean-Claude's face relaxed into an expression of relief as he released Asher's arm.
"Woo! Go for it, Tamara!" Kimmy called out gleefully. That did it. I motioned for Asher to stop a moment just before we went out the door. Turning back to the group we'd just left, I said, "Ask her about the Tub Toy story." As we left the building, I saw the remaining visitors focus on a blushing, stammering Kimmy. I am evil.


INDEXor NEXT CHAPTER