Arrival


BY: Cassy

Disclaimer: This version of reality is copyrighted to Laurell K. Hamilton. Bart is my creation, everyone else in this story is real.

"We're here, pookie. Wake up." This was accompanied by a gentle shake.
I sat up in the car seat, stretching, grunting, and yawning all at the
same time. I squinted and reached for my sunglasses. I am NOT a 
morning person, and this morning was clear and bright. I resisted the 
urge to growl in irritation.  "Reckon they're up yet?" I 
mumbled.  "Let's go find out," Derik said.  

We got out of the car and headed for the back porch door. It was unlocked, so *somebody* was up. I went in first with Derik hanging back just a little. We hadn't called ahead to warn his Mom about this visit. He'd wanted it to be a surprise. We hadn't even told her that he was getting out of prison early. "He-ey!" I hollered as we walked through the kitchen. The breakfast pots and pans were still on the stove.
"Tammy?" Rubie's voice came from the living room. "Is that you?" I poked my head around the corner, grinning. Rubie and Jerry sat in their chairs eating their breakfast. "How ya doing?" "Oh, I'm getting by," she said, smiling. "What are you doing here? How's my youngun?" "Came to visit for a bit, that's all. brought you a surprise, too!" Derik came around the corner at that. "Hey Momma." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I'd just finished the dinner dishes and put them away. I was amazed at how much I'd missed this place. "I wish y'all could stay longer," Rubie told me. "I do too," I told her. "But we've still got probation to deal with. Derik's got to report in Monday morning." Derik and I had agreed not to bring up the subject of Vampires. It would require too much explanation. Derik's cousin, Charlie, had come over to visit with him. Charlie was somewhere between a pet and a toady when the two of them got together. I think Derik was closer to him than to any of his brothers.
Currently, they had gone up the hill to the old mill house to "fish." "I'm gonna head up to the mill house and see how they're doing. Charlie's probably ready for another cup of coffee," I told Rubie. (Charlie was a bona fide caffeine addict.) I saw that it was just after sunset. I debated over what I was about to say before going out the door. Better safe than sorry. "There may be some people by looking for me or Derik...business associates of my boss. I'm not really expecting them to show up, but sometimes things come up that can't wait for business hours," I said. "If anyone comes by, just send them on up to the lake. Don't ask them in. If they come here this late, then it's probably urgent, and they don't need to wait."
"All right, I'll send them up," she answered. I went on out, wishing I could've given a better warning. I really didn't think Bart or any of his would bother us. But, I didn't want to take that chance. I *definitely* didn't want him or any other vamps getting inside Rubie and Jerry's home. I heard laughter coming from the mill house as I approached it. Sounded like they were having a good visit. Derik *deserved* to be able to enjoy himself for a change. I stepped into the long wooden building that spanned the creek. The roar of the water pouring over the tops of the sluice gates was amplified by the tin roof. The remains of the old grist mill took up a little over a quarter of the building. One of the bins still had printed paper sacks for cornmeal left from when the Bowens (Rubie and Jerry's landlords) had operated the mill a couple of generations back.
The rains had been good this past spring, and the lake was really up. I had to holler to be heard over the roar of the creek. "How's the fishing?" "Well, if Charlie, here, would stop trying to *touch* me, I could get the hook set before the catfish could steal the bait," Derik quipped. The subject of "touching" was an *old* running joke between the two of them. "Hey, man, what can I say?" Charlie smiled, holding his hands out to his sides. I hugged Derik's arm, looking around him at Charlie. "Yeah, he's just so *irresistable* when he's got essence of rancid chicken liver on his hands," I grinned, referring to the stink bait they were using.
"I told your Mom that if anyone came asking foe either of us to just send them on up here *instead* of inviting them in," I told Derik. "Good," he replied. "You don't really think they'll show up *here* though, do you?" "Not really, but it's better to not take chances," I said. "They can be unpredictable at times." Charlie was looking back and forth between us with an expression on his face that said, "Yeah, right." He was used to Derik pulling elaborate jokes on him, feeding him a line of BS and making it sound convincing. I'd even abetted him on a few of them. Derik would've made an excellent con artist.
I knew Derik had planned to tell Charlie about our vampire connection. He needed someone he could confide in. I had Kimmy for that. I could tell that Charlie wasn't buying it, though. For his sake, I hoped that none of them did decide to check up on us. Either of y'all need a refill?" I asked. "No, I'm okay," Charlie said. "Yeah, I want another Pepsi," Derik replied. "I wouldn't mind something to drink, either," a male voice said from behind us. We all turned to see *who* had dropped in. He looked like your typical redneck...jeans, T- shirt, grubby ball-cap, and scuffed work boots. Perfectly normal looking, if you didn't notice the fangs showing prominently in his good-old-boy grin.


INDEXor NEXT CHAPTER