Summer Reruns


BY: Cassy

Disclaimer: Asher is copyrighted to Laurell K. Hamilton. All other vamps in this chapter are my creations. The humans are real and may or may not be willing participants in this little party. Enjoy.

Standing in the doorway was a figure that had haunted me for weeks. 
The vampire was just a little taller than Asher and broader in the 
shoulders.  His coppery brown hair shimmered in the light of the 
naked bulbs that lit the mill house. His mahogany eyes reflected no 
light whatsoever.  "Gunthor," I whispered, an icy ball of fear 
forming in my gut. 'You said you *killed* him!' I shouted through the 
marks at Asher, in a panic.  'Tamara?' Asher's mental voice came 
faintly. 'What's wrong, cherie?  What is causing you distress?'
'YOU SAID YOU KILLED HIM!' I shouted again, sending him an image of 
what I was seeing.

'Mon Dieu! This is impossible!' came the response. The vampire responsible for my terror spoke. "I see you have had the displeasure of meeting my little brother," he said with a sympathetic tone. "I assure you, Frau, I am *not* Gunthor. I am called Vladimir." He paused. "Although, seeing your reaction to my resemblance to my brother, I begin to understand why I was chosen for this mission. My mistress *does* have a cruel sense of humor at times." Asher had kept the marks open after my initial panic, to offer what aid he could through them. As a result, he was getting what amounted to a live broadcast of what was going on here in Georgia.
'Now I remember him,' Asher told me. 'He is one of Belle's pets. She had to send him away from court most of the time, because Gunthor would torment him terribly, even by *her* standards. Vladimir is the older brother, but he is not a master.' 'Why would Belle send a lesser vamp out without a master?' I asked. 'Probably for the very reason that *he* suspects. She must have learned of your encounter with Gunthor, even though he was not of her line,' Asher replied.
'Whose line was he from?' 'He was a rare one. One of the few remaining vampires of the line of the Queen of Nightmares. You were fortunate that he didn't haunt you any more than what he did. If he had stolen you from me instead of trying to kill you, you would be mad with fear by now,' Asher sounded solemn. So, that had been an even closer call than what I'd thought. My exchange with Asher had taken only a few seconds. Seemingly without a pause, I replied to the Council rep. "Waking up in your brother's coffin and nearly being drained dry by him are definitely *not* some of my favorite memories."
"You have my sympathies, Frau," Vladimir replied. "Be assured that I do not lament Gunthor's...removal." "Just exactly how much do you know about that incident?" I asked. "Only that you had been attacked and that your master destroyed Gunthor in the process of rescuing you," Vlad answered. I caught Derik giving me a "look." I'd never told him about my abduction before. I knew we were going to have a "talk" once we could get some time alone. I wasn't looking forward to it. 'Concentrate on business, Tamara,' I told myself.
"Vladimir, little miss 'I-am-a-professional-barfly,' there, said something about you being here to see me?" I made it a question. He nodded. "Ja. You are one of the reasons my mistress sent me to the States. It is a bit of an anomaly for a master vampire to survive the death of a human servant, let alone take a new servant afterwards. Belle is curious about you," he stated. The fear was beginning to return. Belle Morte was definitely not someone I wanted to draw attention from. Still, at least I now had warning about her interest. That also let me know to be extra cautious around Vladimir. I had no idea how close of a link he had with Belle. The less *he* knew about me and my business, the less *she* would know.
"If you would, Frau Lowery, please contact your master and announce that I will be arriving in Orlando in one week's time," Vladimir requested. I got the go ahead from Asher, then said, "He is with me now." "Wait just a minute!" Bart protested. I *never* gave permission for Asher to enter my territory!" "You misunderstand, sir," I stated. "He isn't here in body, but he is currently in contact with me." "So, you *have* taken all four marks. How did *you* take that, Herr Lowery?" Vlad tried to bait us. "That's our affair," Derik said, keeping any emotion out of his voice. Prison had honed his survival skills.
"Asher thanks you for the consideration of announcing your impending arrival," I interrupted, steering the conversation back to the business at hand. "We realize that the Council and its representative are not required to do so, and may travel freely wherever they wish. We hope that you do not find our hospitality wanting." "You are most gracious, Frau Lowery," Vladimir gave a small bow. "I look forward to getting to know you better. My mistress is most curious as to what would prevent your master from returning to her side at court, since he seems to have grown tired of Jean-Claude's company...or lack thereof."
Sheesh! How close of tabs DID Belle keep on her boys? I felt a twinge of fear for my safety from Asher at that last remark. 'We'll make it through this, Mon Cher,' I assured him. 'Ma rose d'acier, you are very brave and confident to say so, but you don't *know* Belle,' he chided. 'No, Asher. I'm not brave. I'm just that damned stubborn,' I corrected. 'We *will* make it through this. I refuse to accept anything less.'
I sensed a slight movement off to my left. Seemed Tanya was taking advantage of everybody's attention being focused on Vladimir and me. She'd begun stalking Charlie again. He was frozen in place, torn between terror and fascination, much like a mouse or bird that's been charmed by the cat. She had almost reached him by the time I spotted her. In a flash, I was in between her and Charlie with my hand around her throat. "Not so fast, Bimbette," I growled. Everyone looked surprised by my speed and actions, though none were so surprised as Tanya, herself.
All I could figure was that the speed was one of the side benefits of having the marks wide open. Bart was the first to recover from the shock. He got himself a hefty handful of bleached-blonde hair. "My apologies, ma'am," he said, yanking Tanya's head back roughly. "She'll not be bothering you or yours anymore. None of my people will give your family any trouble, in fact. Wouldn't want anyone to say I was inhospitable, now would I?" "No, Bart, you wouldn't," I answered, a little surprised at him behaving like he was afraid I'd bite his head off and spit it out.
'He knows he would be no match for me if I took insult from him,' Asher told me. 'Ah, *that* explains it,' I replied. "If you'll excuse us now, this one needs to spend a little box time," Bart said. He proceeded to drag a kicking and screaming Tanya by her hair across the floor and out the door. I started to wonder just how old he really was. "There is certainly more to you than meets the eye, Frau Lowery," Vladimir observed. Maybe I was being paranoid, but the way he said it sounded ominous to me.
"I regret that I cannot spend more time with you right now, but I have business with the Master of Savannah before I go on to Orlando. Guten abend, mein freunds." He bowed, stepped out the door, and vanished into the night sky. "Well, *that* was certainly interesting," I sighed. Derik and Charlie just stared at me like they'd never seen me before. Considering the way things had been going lately, I couldn't say I blamed them.


INDEXor NEXT CHAPTER