Snowballs at Midnight


BY: Cassy

Disclaimer: Asher, Jean-Claude and Anita are copyrighted to Ms. Hamilton. Kimmy, Derik and myself are real (honest we are). Tim and his as yet unseen Ursa are creations of my own deranged imagination. All places mentioned are real, just ask Kimmy. She'll back me up on this. Events are up to you the readers to decide what is real and what is fiction. Enjoy. (Bonus points to those who spot the double entendre in the title.)

When I got in from work that Wednesday morning, I decided to check my
e-mail before I went to bed. I only had one message... from Asher.
It had been a little over a week since I'd heard from him. Three
weeks since he'd marked me as his human servant. I knew he'd been
busy setting things in order as the new Master of the City of
Orlando. He was still acting as lieutenant for Jean-Claude,
administrating his business interests in Central Florida. I think
he'd chosen this move, because it was really starting to eat on him
that he couldn't be with Jean-Claude the way he wanted to be.  I was
still mystified as to why he'd chosen to take a new servant after all
that time. Specifically... why me? I believe it puzzled him as well. 

After that first week, he'd distanced himself from me, communicating only through e-mail. It was like he was afraid to get too close. I'd continued on in my life as if nothing had changed. I kept my job, kept renting the same room, and going on Saturday mornings to visit my husband in prison. Asher seemed to be okay with the fact that I was married and still very much in love with my husband. I wasn't so sure that Derik would be so understanding about Asher, when I decided to tell him, though. He was already paranoid about my activities and job. Prison had made it worse. He was so scared I would leave him. But when I'd said my vows, I'd meant them to be for life. I still did.
I think that was one of the reasons I was shying away from taking the fourth mark. It wouldn't be fair to either of them. The message Asher left was to meet him that evening back at Starbucks. He didn't elaborate. I was suddenly nervous. I still wasn't sure how I felt about Asher or what he'd done to me. I know I'd fantasized all sorts of stuff about him, but that had been when I thought he was only a fictional character. I was also aprehensive about the fact that he'd said he'd read all of my various posts on several Anitaverse sites. I wasn't too worried about the stuff I'd said on Bad Popsicle's site, even though it was fairly suggestive. He knew that was mostly a parody site and not to be taken too seriously. Although, the chuckle and look he'd given me when I'd asked him what he thought about that site made me more than a little nervous. No, what I was dreading was when he would bring up my "French tickler" comment on one of the boards on the Jean-Claude's Fashion Secrets forum. He hadn't mentioned it yet, but I just knew he would eventually. (Editor's note: That particular discussion thread has since been deleted from that forum, so don't bother looking for it.)
Meanwhile, what to wear tonight? Yeef! I decided I'd figure that out after I'd had a few hours sleep. When I got up that afternoon, I checked the Weather Channel to see what the temps were gonna be that evening. Oooo, gonna be a cool one! It was early November, and a cold front had come through that morning. I'd slept through the rain. Looking out the window, I saw clear skies. It was supposed to go down to 51 degrees, which was cool for Florida, just ask any of my co- orkers. Personally, I loved it when it was cool; reminded me of my native Tennessee. I decided on the black turtleneck, black jeans, granny boots, and the ankle-length, black suede-cloth duster I'd made last Spring. Figured the silver and topaz necklace and earrings would finish the outfit nicely. Might even take the time to do a little make-up.
Oh God, I thought, I'm acting like a teenager getting ready for a date! Shaking my head at myself, I headed for the bathroom to take a shower. Once I was out and dressed, I grabbed a snack and sat down at my computer to see if there was any new e-mail and to see if any of my favorite sites had updated recently. I also sent Kimmy an e- ail to let her know what was up. Always good to have someone know where you're supposed to be when you're dealing with vampires. Not to say I didn't trust Asher, at least when I was with him. But, he had marked me without asking me first. I preferred being cautious. Besides, I hadn't actually seen him for two weeks. I was looking forward to my weekly visit with Kimmy on Friday.
I was hoping she'd be a little more forthcoming on what had happened Sunday evening before last, shortly before Jean-Claude, Anita and their entourage had returned to St. Louis. All I knew was that she'd shown up for our last visit with healing fang-marks. And when I'd asked her who gave her the "hickey", she'd just gotten a far-away dreamy look on her face. I was guessing that she had let Jean-Claude use her as a pomme de sang. I knew she had a huge crush on him. Maybe I could get her to 'fess up this Friday. Respect for (read: "fear of") Anita had kept me from giving him anything more than a few appreciative glances and polite conversation. When Derik called, I told him I was going to do some shopping that night, since I was off. I knew I was only delaying the inevitable. I just couldn't figure out the best way to handle it yet.
It was just after sunset when I got off the phone. I did a quick make-up job then headed for the coffee house. Asher was waiting for me when I got there. I cocked an eyebrow and snickered a little when I saw what he was wearing. The chunky, sky-blue sweater look sooo cuddly and went well with the black jeans and boots. But what made me smile was the black ankle-length leather duster. We practically matched. "You look lovely this evening, cherie," he said as he took my hand to kiss it. Rather than kiss the knuckles as I'd expected, he turned it palm up to kiss there. It was a lingering kiss with a light teasing from his tongue, and it drew a shuddering gasp from me. He smiled at me. "You are blushing, cherie," he teased. "Gee, I wonder why," I laughed. "What's up?"
Turns out that was a poor choice of phrases. His answer was to give me a downright steamy look and a low chuckle before pulling me close enough to him that I could feel what was up. "I mean besides that, you!" I tried for exasperated annoyance, but I didn't think he was buying it. Scowls just don't work right when you're blushing. That lopsided grin keeps trying to work its way in. "Actually, cherie, I wanted to apologize to you for neglecting you this past week," he smiled. "And I thought that, to make it up to you, I could begin your flying lessons in earnest." My eyes lit up at that. I'd been scared to attempt flight again after that first night, not without him there to coach me... and catch me, if necessary. Strange that I trusted him in that. Even after the sneaky way he'd marked me without giving me a choice.
I guess my ready acceptance of that puzzled him, especially after hearing the "war stories" of Anita's resistance in the same situation with Jean-Claude. I simply realized that what was done was done and no amount of bitching or railing about it would alter that fact. So, accept it and go from there. Less stress that way. "Shall we begin now, or would you rather visit awhile first?" I asked. It had been a week since we'd communicated. His smile broadened into a brilliant grin without the least hint of fang. How does he do that? "Perhaps we should attend to the lesson to begin with," he replied. "If we were to... visit... first, I fear we wouldn't have time left for any flying tonight." The way he said the word "visit" gave it a whole other meaning than what I'd intended. "Oh, cherie, I've made you blush again!" "Turd."
That just brought on more of his chuckling as we walked outside. "Stop that," I said. "No," he laughed even harder, threatening to give me sensory overload. I was glad that the open front of my coat covered enough to hide how much his voice was affecting my body. Considering his behavior so far that evening, I didn't trust him to keep his hands to himself if he noticed my reaction to his presence. Didn't trust myself to try to stop him, either, for that matter. My body was almost screaming for his touch. It had been a little over two years since my husband's incarceration, but my celibacy had never bothered me before this.
Once again, Asher led me into the shadows between the buildings of the shopping center. Wouldn't do for someone to see our launch. "Do you remember what I've told you, cherie?" he asked me. "Just imagine myself flying," I answered. "Oui," he nodded. "We will take it slowly. You must perfect your control before going for speed. Are you ready, Tamara?" "I'm ready." "Then come fly with me, ma cherie," he smiled at me. I kept my eyes open and focused on him, imagining myself in flight. I felt the earth slip gently away as I rested my hand in his. Should've kept my eyes open the first time, I told myself. Unlike my first attempt, I didn't waver or lose my concentration this time. I was amazed at how easy this was.
"Alright, Tamara, it's time to work on your control," Asher was all business, suddenly. It only surprised me for a second, and I maintained my altitude. That seemed to please him. "How do you think you would change direction or altitude?" I thought about it for a moment. I wonder, I thought as an idea formed. Could be a good thing I'm a Star Wars fan, too. "The same as how I'm flying to begin with," I answered. "Relax and simply do it." I think I actually statled him. "That is exactly right, cherie. How did you...?" "Too many science fiction movies and books," I grinned at him. He arched an eyebrow and narrowed his eyes at me. It was my turn not to buy it. I knew he was pleased with me. He spent the next hour and a half putting me through various drills. I thought I did quite well.
Asher conceded, "Not bad, cherie. But your attitude seems to be a little too flippant." "I am not going to apologize for enjoying myself, Asher," I said. "If you're thinking that I will, then you can just bite me." Yep, I know, I broke one of my smartass survival rules: never say bite me to a vampire unless you really mean it. But, hey, it got the desired response. I made him smile. Grin, actually, and this time he flashed fang. "What a tempting offer," he purred. Uh oh. "Maybe," I stalled as he began to stalk towards me. "But first... you have to catch me." And I launched straight up just as he reached where I'd been standing.
"Oh ho! If it's a chase you want, cherie, a chase you shall have," he laughed as he flew after me. I actually managed to avoid him for about half an hour. Although, I suspected that he was letting me. Then I lost sight of him. Not good. I hovered just above some trees, wondering where he was. I gasped as his arms closed around me from behind, and he nuzzled my ear. "I have captured you, ma cherie. Shall I claim my prize?" I wriggled in a vain attempt to get loose. His embrace was not crushing or painful, but it wasn't loosening any either. Asher chuckled, "Struggle all you like, cherie. It just makes my victory all the sweeter." He nibbled gently down my neck, pushing the collar of my turtleneck out of the way.
"You're really going to bite me, aren't you," I breathed. The effects of his ministrations were making it difficult to think. He licked along the line of my throat, whispered, "Oui," matter-of-factly, then struck. Brilliant colors exploded behind my eyes and my body stiffened in a silent scream. It wasn't pain or fear that paralyzed me, but rather, overwhelming pleasure. When I could finally think, I thought, I could get addicted to this. Plain old sex paled in comparison to the sensations Asher's "kiss" evoked. I saw that we were back on solid ground. Asher stood, cradling me in his arms.
A quick survey of our surroundings showed me that we's wound up behind the Ice Den at the sportsplex. Nearby was the large pile of ice slush from the zamboni scrapings of the two ice rinks inside. Still carrying me, Asher walked over to the frigid mass. "What's this?" he asked. I giggled, "Welcome to the only place in Central Florida where you can have a snowball fight any time of the year." "Well, isn't this touching. The new Master of the City and his pet human," came a voice from behind us. "Really, Asher, is she the best you could do?" "Set me down, Asher," I whispered. "I can stand now, and you may need your hands free." He set me on my feet and turned to face our company.
A tall young man barely out of his teens, if that, stood facing us with a contemptuous sneer on his face. A Harley T-shirt with a crewcut? I blinked. Definitely mixed signals there. I wasn't impressed. Asher appeared non-chalant, but I sensed an underlying caution about him as he faced the boy. "Your Ursa and I have already made an agreement, Tim," he stated. "What do you seek to accomplish by insulting my servant?" Woo! And I thought the slush pile behind me was cold! (Asher had kicked in with the voice tricks on that last phrase.) "She had no right to make that agreement!" the boy spat. "You're not strong enough to control this city! You have no animal to call; even your human has no special powers or abilities!" So, he didn't see me flying, I thought, a plan forming. And Asher said he'd reached an agreement with the "Ursa." Werebears?
"She is your Ursa, she has every right," I stated. "You stay out of this, girl!" the boy growled. "This is between me and the vampire." "Girl?" I arched an eyebrow at that. Hell, technically I was old enough to be this kid's mother, I was willing to bet. Asher's voice got even colder, as if he'd freeze the boys blood in his veins by merely saying so. "Again, you insult my servant, and by association, myself. For the past two years the bears' power and influence here has been waning. My treaty with your Ursa is beneficial to the bears as well as the vampires. It will keep other groups from trying to take this territory and make it their own. I would expect you to be grateful, cub! But instead, you insist on trying to... how do you Americans put it?.. piss me off!"
"We don't need any stinking vampires to hold what is our own!" Tim screamed and launched himself at Asher. While they were rolling around on the ground grappling, I turned to the slush pile. I broke off a couple of pieces of the icy crust. Around one peice I packed some of the looser, more snow-like slush, making a snowball. I pegged the slushball at Tim and caught him right in the ear with the hard ice center. "That -- is -- enough!" I hollered. He turned toward me, snarling. "You need to be taught your place, human!" With that, his face shifted and sprouted fur, until his head was that of a bear on his still human body. Definitely alpha potential if his temper and stupidity didn't get him killed first. I didn't even flinch as he changed and stalked towards me. Asher picked himself up and came to my side, his face a perfect mask. Tim stopped a few feet from me, obviously puzzled by my lack of fear. Time to baffle him with bullshit.
"I'm sorry," I said in a bland voice, "Was this the part where I was supposed to run off screaming in terror?" I gave Asher a light backhand slap in the stomach. "Why don't you ever tell me these things? Now I've missed my cue and made poor Tim here look like a doof." "You will fear me, human," Tim said, temper flaring again. His hands stated to change into claws. I walked right up to him. "Y'know, Tim, sweety. I'd love to oblige you, but the opportunity has already passed. Now the timing's all wrong. It just wouldn't work," I said reasonably. "But I think I know something that could salvage the situation." "What?" Boy, did I have him confused. "This." I was close enough now. I grabbed the front of his pant's waistband and dropped the remaining chunk of ice down his shorts.
The look of shock on his young face was priceless, but I didn't take much time to appreciate it. Rather, I took advantage of the distraction to slip around behind him and get him in as close to a full-nelson hold as I could manage. Then I flew up with the obnoxious punk. "Wha...?! B-b-but you can't fly!" he protested. I was willing to bet that he was scared of heights. Good. "Surprise, surpise, Timmy-boy. Sure looks to me like I'm flying." He was grasping desperately at my arms with one clawed hand and gingerly trying to fish the ice out of his pants with the other. "Oh, and Tim, if you so much as snag a thread on this coat, let alone scratch me, I will drop you like a hot rock. You might want to look down and think about it first." He looked down and gave a high-pitched squeal. We were hovering near the roof of the Maitland Tower, a little over fourteen stories up. (That's pretty tall for something built on what used to be swamp.)
"Now, if you promise to be a good little cub, I'll carry you back and set you down gently. If not, well... we can just see if a lycanthrope can survive going splat on the pavement. I'd say chances are good that even if you do survive the internal trauma, you'll come out of it crippled. Even your body can ony heal so much so fast," I reasoned with him. "You bitch! You wouldn't dare!" he sputtered. "Might want to rethink that, boy," I said. "You're not exactly light, y'know. I'm not really sure how much longer I can keep us both aloft., and I don't see Asher coming up here to help carry you. It comes down to it, and I will let you fall to save myself." I bobbed in the air a few times to really get my point across. "Alright! Alright!" Tim screamed in panic. "I'll do anything you want! just get me down from here!" "First, lose the fur and claws," I ordered. "If you're alpha enough to control the change that much, then you can change back without passing out."
"NOW," I demanded when he didn't act immediately. He shifted back to human form, and I took us down for a safe landing. As soon as we touched down, he broke away from me and put a few yards between us. His face was torn between fear, hatred, and awe. Asher moved up beside me. "I will speak with the Ursa about this incident, Tim," he warned. "Do not threaten or attack me or mine again." "The Ursa can't stop me from fighting your presence here," Tim said defiantly. "Talk like that could get you declared rogue, Timmy," I told him. "You don't want that. You'd lose the protection of your group, and the bounty hunters would come and hunt you down. No arrest, no trial, just an execution." "I'll keep that in mind," he said, then turned and ran off into the night. That one's going to be trouble, I thought.
A handful of loose slush hit me in the back of the head. "Hey!" I turned to find Asher scowling at me. "What?" I said. Suddenly he was there, crushing me to his chest. "Don't ever scare me like that again!" he whispered hoarsly. "Y're crushing me," I mumbled into his sweater. He eased up on his grip, and I could breath again. Mmmmm, the sweater was downright snuggly and smelled pleasantly of his cologne. I think I actually nuzzled some. Asher started chuckling. "The look on his face when you got him with the ice," he laughed. I had to laugh with him. "That was sweet, wasn't it." "I can't believe you did that, Tamara. Would you have really dropped him?" Asher sounded honestly curious. It was a good question.
After some thought, I said, "If he hadn't cooperated, I would've had to. I'd've probably hated myself for it, but I couldn't let him hurt or kill us." "Are you sure you're not related to Anita?" he joked. "Yep. And if you want to swap stories with Jean-Claude, go right ahead," I said. "But I'm not gonna compete with her on who's toughest. I know she'd win. Hell, I've never had to kill anyone, and I'm still not a hundred precent sure that I could." He seemed to accept that. He lifted my chin and engaged me in a lingering kiss, tongue gently probing. When our lips part from each other, it was a few moments before I trusted myself to open my eyes. I didn't want to show the longing he stirred in me, even though I knew he could sense it. "Now, cherie, let us fly back to your car and then find a place to visit," he purred in his most seductive voice. I narrowed my eyes at him. "Define visit." He just chuckled..... I was afraid of that.


INDEXor NEXT CHAPTER