Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Damaged Goods



Part 7


8 days later

Harm walked into the living room to find Mac curled up on his couch staring out the window. Checking the clock as he past it, and it read 3:30am.
"Mac?"
Harm whispered trying not to startle her and failing miserably. She jumped completely off the couch and in the dim moonlight he could see the tears streaking her bruised face.
"What are you doing up so late." He asked moving to stand in front of her.
"I just can't sleep." Sighed folding her arms across her chest. Harm was at his wits end. Mac was obviously emotionally hurting and there was nothing he could do to help her. He looked over at the couch with her bedding on it. She had insisted sleeping there and when he had objected she nearly fell apart. He had remembered her saying she needed to be in control of something even if it was where she slept, and he agreed, he couldn't deny her.
"Well, I'll stay with you since you're awake and I'm awake." He said stepping towards her.
"No Harm you came to check on me you do it every night." She said sitting down on the couch.
"So." He whispered sitting beside her.
"Harm I'm a marine you don't have to protect me. I'm fine" she whispered anxiety evident in her voice.
"NO Mac you're not fine. You've been through something terrible and you cant hide behind that 'I'm a Marine' bullshit. You can't hide from me I know you to well." He barked suddenly loosing his temper with her for not showing any emotion.
"Harm this didn't happen to you, I can handle myself. Its not you're problem" She shouted back, standing quickly.
"No Mac you're wrong. I know what happened remember I-I was with you. I KNOW." He bellowed taking a step towards her. Suddenly she broke down collapsing to the floor in front of the couch.
"OH God Mac" Harm whispered kneeling before her. "I'm sorry I-I. Mac I'm sorry,"
He was crying now as he pulled her into his arms rocking them back and forth.
She was sobbing hard as he swayed the same had sobs as the time he found her in the hospital bed.
Finally both of their walls had come crashing down, as she clung desperately to him for his strength. For his love.
Suddenly Harm woke to the incessant ringing of his phone. Looking around he saw Mac lying beside him, curled in a protective ball and facing away from him. 'I wonder when she learned to sleep like that' He thought idly before reaching up and pulling a blanket from the couch to cover the sleeping marine. 'God she's beautiful' he thought as she shifted positions and the early morning glow fell on her features. Again the persistent ringing of the phone broke up his thoughts.
"Rabb." Harm's weary voice answered the phone.
"Hello Commander, this is officer Kindle from the hospital my partner and I interviewed Colonel Mackenzie."
"Yes, of course." Harm said becoming fully awake.
"We've found Colonel Mackenzie's attacker." Kindle stated.
"Just now?" Harm asked looking back at Mac's sleeping form on the carpeted floor.
"Well actually last night. We did some DNA test and he matches the traces we got from the Colonel."
"Oh." was Harms only reply.
"And we would like it if Ms. Mackenzie would come down here and file her report in the morning." Kindle said.
"OK well be there in the morning, Thank you." Harm said gratefully.
"You're welcome sir, Goodnight." Kindle said then hung up the phone. Hanging up the phone he turned back to look at Macs sleeping figure realizing this is the most she'd slept in weeks. 'Damn' he thought before going to scoop her up and walking her to his bed.
9:14am

Mac looked out the window indolently as they sped down the Beltway to the courthouse. She could feel fear creeping over her. Whoever her attacker was maybe it was better if she just didn't know him. Couldn't put a face to the name, maybe it was better that way. Stealing a glance at Harm she caught him looking at her.
"What's wrong?" he asked his eye darting between her and the road.
"I don't want to see him. I don't want to be able to put a face and a name to my nightmare," she said looking into his blue/green eyes.
"Mac I-. Don't you want to catch this guy?" Harm asked bewildered.
"I'm scared Harm" She whispered, something she never would have admitted to before.
Harm and Mac walked side by side into the building. Walking up to the front desk he spoke with the officer there while Mac stood back, her arms folded across her chest. Looking back at her Harm noticed the bruising to her face was fading and she looked healthier. This morning she'd actually eaten and laughed once or twice. Casually he let his eyes glide over her, she was wearing dark blue jeans and a blue and white turtleneck. 'How could anybody hurt someone so beautiful?'
He thought absentmindedly. Then it dawned on him that people hurt her because of her beauty.
"Hello Commander" Harm looked back to see officer Kindle standing before him.
"Hello" Harm smiled as Mac walked towards them. " Hello Colonel, how are you today?" kindle asked with a smile.
"I've been better." She said truthfully.
"Well, come with me and I'll give you the paper work you need to fill out."
He said leading toward the back of the building. Out of nowhere there was the jarringly familiar voice
"Sarah? Sarah!?" Mac turned to see a man behind bars in a detaining cell. He was tall with dark hair and piercing blue eyes. He was clutching the bars desperately and screaming at her. "YOU BITCH HOW COULD YOU PUT ME IN HERE? I LOVED YOU AND YOU LOVED ME. YOU TOLD ME! WE MADE LOVE, REMEMBER ON YOU'RE LIVING ROOM FLOOR. REMEMBER HOW YOU BEGGED ME FOR MORE? HUH BITCH. YOU FUCKING SLUT." Her attacker screamed at the top of his lungs.
Stopping all movement in the station. Suddenly she felt trapped again and as Harm tried to pull her into his embrace she backed away, out of his reach.
"Mac?" Harm whispered.
"Umm no Harm just stay back a little." She whispered back raising her hand to stop him. "SHUT HIM UP" officer Kindle ordered as he stared at the convict.
"SARAH DON'T DO THIS!!! I LOVE YOU. C'MON SARAH LET ME OUT." He screamed.
"Wh-where are those papers?" she asked shakily.
"This way Colonel " Kindle said and led them into a back office. Harm watched her wrap her arms around herself and lower her eyes as she walked past the cell, hardening herself against the man's assault of curses and criticism from her attacker. She trembled slightly and was pale. 'Sarah please don't close up on me' Harm thought as he followed her into the office.

Later that night
8:34pm

He watched as she pushed her food around on her plate, staring expressionlessly at her fork. "Mac?" Harm whispered. Startled her head snapped up and her eyes wide. "WHAT?" she asked.
"Are you okay?" He asked looking her in the eyes. Slowly she shook her head no. Silently he stood and went over to the closet to retrieve her bedding before going over to his couch and made it up for her. "C'mon try and get some sleep, forget about today." He said walking over to the fireplace he lit a fire.
"Okay" she whispered walking towards the couch. She was already wearing her pajamas, a black tank top and a pair of black shorts. The couch squeaked as she climbed on top of it. Harm watched her in awe as she pulled the blankets around her and curled herself into a fetal position.
"Goodnight Harm." She yawned.
"Goodnight Marine see you in the morning." He whispered before leaning down to brush a kiss lightly over her cheek."

12:47am
Mac stared helplessly at the vodka bottle in front of her. She could already feel the warm liquid slipping down her throat and settling in her stomach.
Her eyes drifted to the shot glass, full to the brim setting beside the clear bottle. Her fingers twitched again aching to grab the glass; slowly she curled then uncurled her fingers. She angrily wiped away the tears making her vision blurry. Her eyes strained in the faint light of the dimming fire. Her mind was full of indecision. She wanted to forget the pain that was fast becoming hard to handle. Or was she just going to waste years of sobriety for momentary relief. She knew she would hate her self for it but still an unsteady hand reached out for the glass and pushed it off the table.
An audible "NO" passing her lips. She stood quickly and walked towards the bedroom.
Harm felt the bed shift beneath him in his sleep.
Then soft breathing fluttered against his neck.
"Harm" a familiar voice breathed against his ear.
"Mac?" he groaned feeling her lips against his shoulder.
"Harm I need you" she said against his shoulder. Then he felt something wet fall onto his shoulder, "I almost drank." She confessed softly before sniffling.
That got him awake. "What?" he asked sitting up and finding her kneeling between his legs.
"It hurts" she whispered leaning forward so their lips were a breath away.
"I need you to help me take the pain away." She said leaning down to nuzzle his neck.
"Sarah" he growled putting his hands around her back.
"Please Harm. If you love me help me" she said using his words against him.
"Sarah" this time it came out as a warning.
"You're strong. A marine." He reminded her as she felt her teeth scrape lightly against his jaw. She shook her head no, "I need help," she groaned running her hands up his bare chest.
Her cheek brushed against his and he could feel the tears there. "Please" she begged quietly.
Harm reached up and cupped her face brushing her hair out of her face. He could see the pain etched in her features. And he knew it was better she found her comfort in him rather in a bottle. He also knew she was going to hate one of them later.

~Back~*~Fanfic Home~*~Next~