The Toronto Island Ferry ServiceA History |
TRANSFER POINTS Vol. 2, No. 4, March 1976 by Larry Partridge |
THE CIBOLA was built in the early 1880s to ferry passengers from Toronto to certain points on Lake Ontario. A disastrous fire in 1895 destroyed the steamer at Lewiston Dock on the Niagara River, resulting in one death. The CORONA was a boat constructed in 1896 to replace the CIBOLA. This vessel inherited the three-part chime whistle which had once belonged to the CIBOLA. The coming of the depression in 1929 caused the CORONA to be retired from service.
The CLARK BROTHERS was an old wooden ferry first built as a single-deck steamer with open foredeck. Later in her career the ferry was rebuilt as a two-deck vessel, but unfortunately was severely damaged in a serious fire at the Hanlan's Point ferry docks in March, 1918. The CLARK BROTHERS was later burned at Sunnyside Beach for crowds of amusement seekers.
![]() |
The LUELLA was once "considered the handsomest boat in the bay and ... a great favourite with the island residents." In the foreground two men are rowing a scull, a once-popular activity in the harbour, and the chosen sport of one of Toronto's most famous atheletes, Ned Hanlan. |
The LUELLA was considered the fastest little steamer on Toronto Bay when built in 1882. This 122-passenger vessel held one of the best life-saving records of any boat on the Bay at that time, and City Council presented her captain with a set of colours in recognition of this service. She began life in the hands of W. Armour & Company of Toronto in 1880 and received her engines from the John Doty Engine Company, which was located at the foot of Bathurst Street. After many years of service on Toronto Bay she was retired in 1934.
![]() Home |
![]() Photos |
![]() Rosters |
![]() Destination Signs |
![]() Routes |
![]() Search Site |
![]() Site History |
![]() Links |
![]() Feedback |