Ghosts in the Smoke Part 26

Disclaimer: I don't own these lovely characters, Aaron Sorkin and his friends do.

Sam and Josh are caught in a hotel fire.

Spoilers: Everything up through The Leadership Breakfast (set two days later)

Archive: Anywhere you want, just please e-mail me Partnrpal@aol.com

Ghosts in the Smoke

By Mer

Part 26

C.J.’s Office

“C.J. Leo’s looking for you.” Carol said as C.J. returned to her office.

“Yeah I know. Give me a minute to compose myself first.” C.J. said as she sat down in her desk chair.

“You look like hell you know.” Carol commented.

“I’m sorry but I didn’t know I was supposed to look like I spent the night at a day spa when I really spent the night at the hospital. Guess I should ask for my money back huh?” C.J. quipped.

“Is everything okay at the hospital?” Carol asked.

“No everything is not okay at the hospital.” C.J. replied in a very annoyed voice.

“Things are really as bad as the rumors say they are then huh?” Carol asked.

“Oh dear God there are rumors out already. How the hell do they know already? Please Carol, please enlighten me with what is being said in the office rumor mill.” C.J. replied as she threw her hands up in the air.

“That there wasn’t really a charity auction planned and the senator who’s benefit it supposedly was really planted a bomb in the hotel, instead. Like something out of a cheesy movie huh? Anyway, I’m gonna grab a danish, you want anything?” Carol off-handily inquired.

“Back the truck up a minute. Did you just say what I think you just said?” C.J. asked with wide eyes.

“About the senator yeah, I’m pretty sure it’s true. Josh and Sam were supposed to die. But luckily they are okay, so his plan failed.” Carol commented as she left the room.

“They are anything but okay.” C.J. murmured.

“C.J. I need just a moment of your time.” Danny said as he knocked on her door.

“Oh and this day just keeps getting better and better. Danny what do you want?” C.J. asked as she threw her hands back up in the air.

“How are you?” Danny asked.

“Excuse me?” C.J. asked puzzled by the question.

“You see I heard that there was this fire last night at a hotel and I was wondering how you were.” Danny stated very sarcastically.

“I wasn’t one of the ones who were trapped in the fire, so I’m doing great. Anymore earth shattering questions for me?” C.J. asked with annoyance.

“C.J. I didn’t mean that. I know that Sam and Josh are your friends. I just wanted to see how you were holding up.” Danny said quietly.

“As well as anyone could hold up after what just happened last night.” C.J. replied.

“Have you heard that Senator Herman was behind it?” Danny asked.

“Carol mentioned something briefly about it, I think Leo brought me back here to tell me. Is it true? Danny, please tell me that it is some kind of sick joke.” C.J. begged.

“It’s true. They haven’t figured out how the Senator is connected yet, but it looks like he was used as the front man for something.” Danny replied.

“And I was the one who told the press that they were going to be there. I went on television and said that they were going to be there.” C.J. replied in a shaky voice.

“C.J. there was no way that you could have known. You did what you were supposed to do. You said exactly what you were told to say.” Danny soothed.

“Tell that to Josh and Sam.” C.J. replied bitterly as she stalked out of her office.

“C.J. where are you going?” Danny asked.

“I need to go talk to Leo.” C.J. called back leaving Danny standing speechless in her office doorway.

Georgetown Hospital-Sam’s Room

Sam woke up and he had that same hazy feeling. He went to move his hand up to rub his eye but found that he couldn’t. He tugged on it and realized that it was attached to the bed, along with his other one. He kicked his leg and realized the good one was attached as well. His attempt to move his bad leg failed but as he peered down at it he noticed it had been left alone.

“What in the hell happened?” Sam muttered aloud.

“Oh you don’t remember yelling at Josh and beating the tar out of him in your efforts to wake him up?” Matt asked.

“You’re making that up.” Sam muttered.

“Oh I wish I was, but my friend why else would you be restrained?” Matt retorted.

“Why can’t I remember?” Sam asked.

“Maybe because you’re a loser who deserves to die.” Matt suggested.

“Somehow I don’t think that is the reason.” Sam replied.

“Okay but you almost believed that for a second.” Matt replied.

“I guess.” Sam sighed.

Sam wondered what the hell went wrong when he was in Josh’s room. He remembered that Abbey had tried to dissuade him from seeing Josh. But he could swear that she relented and that she had pushed him in a wheelchair to Josh’s room. Actually he knew for a fact that part had happened, it was after he entered the room that he couldn’t remember.

“What’s the matter you can’t remember that you were a bad, bad boy?” Matt asked.

“No, I can’t. There is no way that I would ever hurt Josh. Josh is my best friend. I would never have done any of the things you claim I have.” Sam protested.

“Have I lied to you yet?” Matt questioned.

“Yes, you said that Josh was going to die and he’s still alive.” Sam replied.

“I think the jury is still out on that one.” Matt taunted.

“Matt, I swear if you’re lying to me.” Sam threatened.

“What are you going to do to me? Huh? I’m already dead, or don’t you remember that either?” Matt accused.

“Oh God what have I done? Matt please help me fix this.” Sam asked as he tugged on his restraints again.

“You are on your own there buddy.” Matt laughed.

“Please help me. It was probably all of your fault in the first place.” Sam theorized.

“Mr. Seaborn?” Dr. Bleuer asked.

“Call me Sam.” Sam replied bitterly, realizing that the doctor had probably overheard at least part of his conversation.

“Okay Sam then. My name is Doctor Bleuer. Whom were you just talking to just then?” She asked.

“No one.” Sam lied.

“Okay, who did you think you were talking to then?” Dr. Bleuer asked, changing tactics.

“I was talking to myself.” Sam lied again.

“Oh and you call yourself Matt? Sam this whole process will go a whole lot easier on you if you tell me the truth. Please tell me who Matt is.” Dr. Bleuer asked.

“A friend of mine who died a really long time ago.” Sam replied.

“Okay, how did he die?” Dr. Bleuer asked gently.

“He burnt up in a car fire because he was a jackass and tried to drive while he was drunk. Just for the record I had stopped being friends with him before that incident happened.” Sam clarified.

“I see. And when did Matt first reappear in your life?” Dr. Bleuer asked.

“Last night I guess, but everything from last night is kind of hazy. Wait I remember now, Josh thought that I was his sister and while I was playing along, Matt appeared. I didn’t know who he was at first because I couldn’t remember him.” Sam admitted.

“That’s good Sam. What kind of things does Matt say to you?” Dr. Bleuer asked.

“He tells me how much of a loser of a friend Josh is. He told me that Josh was going to die.” Sam replied dejectedly.

“Is that why you were trying to shake Josh awake? Because Matt said that he was going to die?” Dr. Bleuer asked.

“I guess, I really don’t remember what happened when I went in to see Josh. I didn’t really beat him up did I?” Sam asked.

“I’m afraid you did Sam.” Dr. Bleuer admitted.

“I guess that means that Matt is right, I am a loser who deserves to die.” Sam replied and he started to sob uncontrollably.

Links

go back to last part
go back to general stories page
go on to next part
home

Email: partnrpal@aol.com