Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Untitled

Part 3
.

.

It was a good thing, Koenma reflected as his tantei made the final preparations for their journey to the Makai, that Kurama was inclined to take everything Karasu said generously. He shuddered to think about the damage those two could've caused to the Ningenkai in a fight. At the moment Karasu commenting on how lovely Kurama had looked during their fight. After he'd shifted back to his ningen form, when he was badly injured and covered in blood. Strangely enough, Kurama seemed to be taking the remarks as compliments- something that seemed to surprise everybody. Even Toguro lifted an eyebrow when the mocking (somehow Koenma couldn't bring himself to believe those really were compliments) had started.

"Well, I think that's it." Kurama said, rubbing his hands together with a smile. "We've got bandages, salves and herbs.. in case none of us are able to heal ourselves. Food," a sly glance a Kuwabara, "for anyone too weak to go without-"

"Oi! What's the big idea?!"

"-the youkai detector attuned to Yusuke's youki, and battery-operated phones Koenma so kindly provided us with so that we can keep in touch. Just in case anything goes wrong, we'll be able to call for backup."

Toguro grunted. Kuwabara scratched his head in puzzlement. "A phone? That can reach Koenma all the way from the Makai? How's that possible?"

Koenma beamed. "I was wondering when someone would ask. These aren't just any phones, you see. They have specially designed power packs that can reach any of the three worlds. And some of the dimensions closest to our plane. You see-"

"Yes, yes, we see!" Kurama held up his hands. "A wonderful invention, Koenma. Now, we really should be going- the more time we waste, the more likely it is we might not find Yusuke alive."

"All right! Lets go!" Kuwabara slung the pack containing the equipment over his shoulder. "We'll kick some youkai butt!"

Koenma shook his head with a groan. It would be amazing if they got out of this alive.

.

Koenma held a strange device that resembled a remote control. "This," he told them, "is a new invention of mine. It opens temporary portals between the worlds." He pointed it away from the group and activated it. Crackling bolts of energy surrounded the area as a tiny hole appeared. As it widened, the energy became more dense, forcing the three youkai and the ningen to back off. Kurama raised one arm to shield his face as the hole became a little over Toguro's height and twice as wide.

"Still in the experimental stages?" he queried.

Koenma nodded cheerfully. "Hai, hai. Now, get through before the thing blows up."

Kurama was the first one through, the crackling energy causing the hairs on his neck and arms to stand up straight. He was swallowed up by darkness, then dumped onto the Makai soil with all the care allotted to a sack of potatoes. Less, even.

Grunting sourly, he pushed himself to his feet, noting with a spark of amusement that his comrades received the same treatment. "I think it still has a few bugs!" he shouted as the portal closed on Kuwabara's heels.

"Only a few?" Karasu got to his feet, brushing dirt off his coat. Toguro was already up, indifferent as usual. Kuwabara was still on his knees, glaring at the spot where the portal had been.

"The bastard! He did it on purpose!" the carrot-top growled. "Kisama! When we get back, I'm gonna wring his neck!"

"Is that so?" Kuwabara gave Toguro a startled look. The tall youkai returned it evenly.

Kurama and Karasu exchanged glances. "Perhaps we should begin our search now." the dark youkai suggested.

* * * *

Almost a week passed as they scoured Yusuke's kingdom (well, what had formerly been Yusuke's kingdom) for the missing boy. The youkai detector was on the fritz: even attuned specifically to Yusuke’s youki, being surrounded by youkai had caused the damn thing to break. Kurama was beginning to think they'd never find him.

“Okay, guys. Let’s stop for the night,” he said as Kuwabara fell for yet the twentieth time since the sun had set. Karasu snorted softly, giving the graceless ningen an amused glance. Kurama dug his elbow into the crow’s ribs and was rewarded with a small grunt of pain. “I think there’s a river not to far from here. That would be a good place to set up camp.”

Toguro nodded, jerking Kuwabara to his feet, and the four made their way to the river’s bank. At a gesture from Kurama, Kuwabara set the pack down. Karasu obligingly set one of his bombs on some tinder they gathered for a fire.

A tiny smile tugged at Kurama’s lips. It was amazing how well they got along together after only a week. Toguro had become halfway decent company, and Karasu was acting downright amiable. He wondered if Koenma had set some sort of spell (or curse, as the case may be) on the two to insure their good behavior. It would certainly explain why the two were suddenly so easy to get along with.

At Kuwabara’s request, Kurama grew a small fruit-bearing tree so the four could eat. Then, horribly aware of how filthy he had become since his last washing (which had been an entire two days ago), he excused himself and followed the river to a secluded spot several yards away from their camp. He shucked off his cloths eagerly and waded into the river. Shivering, he dunked himself. The water was freezing!

He surfaced for air, then dove in again, swimming to the deepest part of the river. At the bottom was sand, as Kurama had suspected there would be. He grabbed a handful and surfaced again. He used the wet grains to scour the dirt from his skin and hair, then dived again to rinse it all off. Now clean, he spent some time frolicking in the cool water, delighting in the feel of the gently flowing river against his bare skin. So involved was he that he didn’t notice Toguro until the youkai spoke.

“Funny. I thought foxes didn’t like water.”

Kurama jerked, jaw dropping as he made a shocked sound in the back of his throat, and getting a mouthful of water for his troubles. Sputtering, he pulled himself out of the water and onto the ground next to Toguro.

“Cats,” he coughed, “don’t like water. Foxes like it just fine.”

“I can tell.” Toguro laughed. Kurama received the distinct impression that he was being made fun of.

Kurama slipped back into the water to sulk with all the dignity he could muster while looking like a drowned rat. “You need something?” He managed to sound pleasant even through clenched teeth.

“I... am in desperate need of a bath.”

“Hn.” Sulking already forgotten, Kurama rolled in the water. He propelled himself to the middle, splashing water in Toguro’s direction. “I guess you’ve come to the right place, then.”

Smiling, Toguro kicked off his shoes, then pulled his shirt over his head. He dropped it next to Kurama’s clothes, then tugged off his pants. Kurama got an eyeful before turning away, his cheeks burning. ‘Great good gods, he’s hung like a horse!’ he thought.

Kurama spread his arms and legs, floating lazily on his back in the water. There was a loud splash as Toguro jumped in, forming ripples that reached Kurama all the way in the middle of the river. The tall man swam to him, stopping about a foot from Kurama’s feet. The kitsune wiggled his toes in greeting, only to have them grabbed by Toguro and used to pull the fox closer. .

The Youko muttered a soft protest as Toguro’s hands moved up his body till they rested on the fox’s stomach. His skin was soft under Toguro’s hands, his body well muscled, but soft and curvy at the same time.

Kurama closed his eyes, lips parting ever so slightly as Toguro lightly caressed his torso. He pulled the fox against him, cradling Kurama like a small child. Kurama squirmed a little, planting his hands on Toguro's chest, trying to push him away. Their eyes met, and Toguro silently questioned what right Kurama had to resist him.

The kitsune grew still in his arms. Toguro was amazed at how right holding Kurama this way felt. Like the fox belonged with him. To him.

"Kurama!" Kurama jerked away from him. "Yes, Kuwabara-kun?" He gave Toguro a warning look before swimming to shore to meet the carrot-top. Toguro smirked slightly. It looked like being brought back, even as Koenma's servant, would have some benefits after all.

* * * *

A tiny farming community lay before them. Kurama shielded his eyes from the burning Makai sun as he squinted down the steep hill. "Shall we search the place?" he asked his companions. "I believe that taller building there might be an inn."

"Yes!" Kuwabara exclaimed fervently. The big fellow was really not suited to the kind of intense traveling they had been doing, nor was he very good in such dense forests as the Makai held. Kuwabara was a city boy, and Kurama feared to much wandering in the wilderness would addle what little brain cells he had remaining.

Nodding, Kurama started down the steep incline, Karasu close by his side. The Youko feared that Karasu somehow knew about his encounter with Toguro three nights ago. The dark youkai might fly into a jealous rage and do something foolish.

As if he were aware that Kurama was thinking of him, Karasu gave the fox a sideways glance, lightly brushing Kurama's hand with his. The kitsune smiled at him and gave a little wink. Karasu winked back, and his fingers brushed Kurama's thigh in a feathery caress.

Behind them Toguro loomed, a dark, menacing presence. If he noticed the two flirting, he gave no sign. Or maybe he didn't care. Kuwabara walked beside him, happily oblivious to the two youkai's love play. Kurama exchanged another long, lingering glance with Karasu. 'Even if we don't find Yusuke, we'll stay', he decided. 'It'll be nice to sleep in a bed tonight. Though we might not actually get to sleep until well into the morning...'

The village itself was larger than it had looked. The inn was only two stories tall, but there was an adjacent tavern and some sort of supply store next to it. There were many people in the streets, all locals by the way the eyed the four strangers. Kurama felt himself shift uncomfortably under their harsh scrutiny. He wondered what had occurred that made them so suspicious of strangers.

Shrugging slightly, he pushed open the tavern door, pausing to allow his eyes to adjust to the darkness. The tavern looked crowded: the bar was full, and most of the tables were taken. Kurama led his companions to booth at the rear of the place. From there they would have a good view of everybody who came and went.

Karasu slid in next to him, scooting closer than was necessary. Toguro sat on his other side, and Kurama, feeling a bit claustrophobic all of a sudden, moved closer to Karasu.

"Can I take your order?" The waitress was pretty, or would have been if she wasn't scowling at them. She was also, Kurama noted with surprise, a Youko.

Kuwabara was quick enough to order, despite the woman's dirty looks. Toguro declined. Karasu ordered only after an encouraging nod from Kurama.

"So," he leaned his elbows on the table, smiling charmingly at the girl. "It doesn't seem like you get many visitors here."

She glared at him. "What is it to you?"

He gave her a cheerfully blank look. "Actually, we're searching for a comrade of ours. We have reason to believe he might have passed through here." It was the same story they'd given in every town they'd searched. "Perhaps you've seen him. He's of average height, black hair and brown eyes. A very powerful youkai."

Her eyes widened and she took a step back, hissing in surprise. "No! I've never seen anyone fitting that description. I swear!"

Kurama half stood, reaching an eager hand to keep the woman from retreating. "Please, Miss..."

Kuwabara jumped from his seat, grabbing the woman's lapels and yanking her to him. "You know where Urameshi is? Tell us, woman. We're friends. We'll help the bastard get out of whatever trouble he's in."

The people in the tavern were on their feet now, closing in on their table like vultures on a body. The barkeep pushed his way through the crowd, sweat glistening on his forehead. "What's the meaning of this? You, there, get your hands off my employee!" Kuwabara reluctantly released the woman. The barkeep put a protective arm around her. "Are you all right, Ginko?" The woman nodded. "Now, what do you think you're doing?"

Kuwabara opened his mouth to speak. Kurama cut him off quickly. "We believe your employee- Ginko, you said her name was?- may have some information concerning the whereabouts of a friend of ours. We're very worried about him."

The man narrowed his eyes. "What did you say your names were?"

Toguro and Karasu were on their feet, tense and ready to fight. But that was not what the situation called for. "My name is Kurama. The ningen is Kuwabara, and-"

The man jumped, eyes going wide. "Kurama, you said? And Kuwabara?" Kurama nodded patiently. The man ducked his head, whispering something to Ginko. Kurama could barely make out what he was saying. "He mentioned those names!"

Kurama stepped forward, hands stretched out plam-up in entreaty. "Please, sir. If you know where Yusuke is..." he let his sentence trail off. The man nodded slowly.

"Ginko, take these men to your house."

"But, sir-"

"Do it, Ginko!"

She nodded reluctantly. "Come with me, please." The crowd parted before her, and the four tantei followed in her wake. She led them halfway across the small village to a small shack composed of no less than one bedroom and a living room/kitchen, separated by a single blanket. Ginko stopped in the middle of the front room, gesturing for them to precede her. "Maybe you can help him, even if he's not your missing friend. He's hurt badly."

Kurama shoved the blanket aside, hope and happiness welling up inside him. Sure enough, laying there unconscious on a pallet in the tiny room, was their missing companion.

"YUSUKE!"

.

.

On to the next part

Back to the fanfics page