Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Special Solder Paste

<x-flowed>
At 11:12 PM 10/19/00 +1000, Ian Wilson wrote:

>The first gotcha is that the auto-router will rip up additional copper
>portions of the complex pad in some circumstances - this is a bug and I
>would like it fixed soon!

It's not only a bug, it is a mission-critical bug, by which I mean that a
bad or even useless board can be produced because of it with no warning to
the user. A bad board can cost more than the purchase price of the
software, and perhaps I should mention that it can cost more than a license
for a competing product!

There should be a list of all mission-critical bugs such that users can
readily become familiar with it. I'd suggest a checklist, in fact, with
documentation of workarounds and ways to verify that a bug has not affected
a file.

Mission-critical bugs are clearly the most serious type of bug and there
should be little excuse for one remaining beyond the next service pack;
further, Protel has indicated that it will issue service packs more
frequently rather than waiting to accumulate many changes. Protel has taken
some flack from people who claim that the fact of the issuance of five
service packs to Protel 99 is evidence that the software is very buggy.
Please, Protel, don't buy it! I'd recommend, in fact, very frequent service
patches, a patch being defined as a piece of code which fixes one
particular problem, or perhaps a few problems, whereas a service pack
includes many fixes which have been accumulated over a period of time.

I've heard comments that frequent service patches cause support problems
because there can be many, many versions out there depending on which
patches have been applied. This problem can be solved by not providing
support, or at least not guaranteed support, for anything other than the
most recent version of a tool (i.e. the most recent version of 3, 98, or
99). Support should not have to deal with questions regarding bugs which
have already been fixed. Each patch would check for the currency of the
files (as of the previous patch). At the same time, a file would be
maintained that would contain all cumulative revisions so that an
alternative would always be a fresh installation followed by the cumulative
service pack.

Instead of calling service packs by number, they would be dated, and there
would, at any time, be only one available service pack, the current one.
There would also be a list of patches with their dates, and a user could
check the current patch status of his or her software and download only the
later patches, which would need to be applied in sequence.

It is also possible to have software update itself, or at least inform the
user of a current uninstalled patch, requesting permission to download and
install it. But that requires, of course, a live internet connection. Some
users won't have that.

I do recognise that the issuance of frequent patches can cause problems
with bug fix interactions, particularly where there might be two different
programmers working on bugs affecting, or requiring changes in, the same
routines. However, each individual patch would itself be thoroughly tested
before release, or if a set of patches are released at once, that set would
have been tested as a package, so interaction problems would generally be
caught internally or by Beta volunteers.

If we had such a system, we might see a mission-critical bug report and
then a fix within a few days.

marjan@vom.com
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690