Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Chapter 8
To Chapter [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]

X woke up to the sound of the emergency alarm blaring in his room. The alarm called for all Hunters to report to battle stations. X took another moment to fully wake up and hopped out of his bed.

"The Mavericks must be attacking again!" X said to himself. Suddenly, the alarm stopped and a pleasant voice over the intercom announced it was time for lunch.

"Lunch?" X looked at the clock. "It's seven a.m."

The voice on the intercom was gone, replaced by hissing static. Just when things seemed most hectic, the sprinkler system came to life.

"What?" X quickly covered his head from the shower and ran over to the intercom system on the wall. "X to Dr. Cain. What's going on?"

"X, the computer system has gone haywire. Every computerized thing in the building is out of control. X, you must-." A message suddenly cut off Dr. Cain's voice: "If you would like to make a call, please hang up and try again."

"Dr. Cain? Dr. Cain!" X yelled into the intercom, but an ear piercing beep emitted from the speaker causing X to pull himself backwards. He promptly shut off the device and tried to collect his thoughts.

"Something must be wrong with the main computer." X dashed out of the door. "I've got to get to the control room." On the way, X saw that everyone else was confused by the hectic state of the building. Some thought that HQ was under attack, while others wandered around in the halls asking about lunch.

X found the computer control room. The first thing he saw was that the computer was wrecked and flashing non-sense. Someone trashed the interface also.

"X..." Someone called weakly. X looked down and saw Amp, lying on the ground, with a large slash mark on his chest armor. "X... virus in the ...main computer...and ..wrecked the interface."

"Amp, get a hold of yourself. Who was it? Amp!"

"Zero, it was Zero." Amp managed to say. Then the smaller reploid gasped as his eyes widened.

"X, LOOK OUT!"

X whipped his head around just in time to see a pair of crimson red eyes glaring back at him. Before he could move, the attacker sent a fist onto X's face.

"X!" The Blue Hunter heard Amp scream before everything faded away.

***********************************************************

"Nothing is making sense." Dr. Cain said as he madly jabbed at the keyboard. "These controls are not responding."

"Doctor," Protoman walked into the lab. "What's happening?"

"Something is hideously wrong with the systems computer, and these controls aren't working. I have to get down there and see myself."

"Do.. . Don't bother." Protoman and Dr. Cain both turned to see Amp leaning against the doorway, with a huge wound on his chest. "It's wrecked. Zero infected the central computer with a virus and destroyed the interface."

"I knew it!" Protoman screamed. "I should have taken care of him when I had the chance."

"X. Zero has X."

"What?" Dr. Cain shouted.

"There's only one place he'd take X, Dr. Cain." Protoman said as he narrowed his eyes. "The Maverick Fortress."

***********************************************************

Zero casually walked into the Maverick Fortress. The Maverick guards in the hallways were too shocked by his boldness (or too scared to fight him) to make a move against the Red Reploid. Zero continued down the hall towards the main conference room of the fortress.

"Here's the plan." Cyber Peacock announced to the other Mavericks. "We get the bomb into the... WHAT THE ?!" Zero barged into the conference room just as Cyber Peacock was in the middle of the speech. By first instinct, everyone pointed their weapons at Zero, who gave them a relaxed smile.

"Hey," Zero said, "Is that any way to greet your allies?"

"Zero," Sigma said, "You're back. Care to explain why we shouldn't blow you away right now?"

"Because I come bearing gifts." Zero tossed the limp body of Mega Man X onto the table. Also, by first instinct, most of the Mavericks (except Sigma) gasped and stepped backwards. After they realized that X was unconscious, they let their guards down.

"I'm still confused." Sigma said. "Care to enlighten me?"

"I've been on your side since the first time I left, you dope."

"My, don't tell me you pretended to be a Hunter just to go back to Maverick Hunter HQ to bring me X? I'm touched."

"Well, that and wreaking a little havoc on the HQ's main computer. Couldn't make an exit without style."

"There's hope for you yet, Zero." Sigma grinned. "You're more devious than you let on. Now...what do we do with goody two shoes here?"

***********************************************************

It was cold.

X felt that his entire body was cold. He moved his hand around to feel the ground, but there was nothing to grab onto. Upon opening his eyes, he saw that he was lying on steel. Slowly X pushed himself off of the ground, and shook his head. His face was sore...sore from someone hitting him.

ZERO!

X glanced around him and saw Sigma, Vile, Cyber Peacock, Split Mushroom and several other Mavericks with their eyes trained on him. They sat behind a glass shield, as if they were an audience. To what?

Footsteps moved towards him. X knew exactly who it was.

"So you're up." Zero commented. "Are you ready to fight?"

"Fight?" X turned to Zero. "Why?

"Stop asking ridiculous questions, X. Get up and fight."

X stood up, but did not make another move. "I made Zero promise me that if I ever became a Maverick, he would take care of me." X thought. "Now Zero is the Maverick, so I have to kill him." X raised his X-Buster. "There is no other way."

"Get ready Zero." X shouted as he fired off several charged shots at Zero, who easily leaped out of the way. Zero dashed to the left side of X and brought his Z-Saber towards X's neck. X struggled to block Zero's arm and took this time to execute a low kick to trip Zero.

"This is perfect." Sigma laughed as the two continued to battle. "I knew it was too good of a chance to pass up, seeing Zero destroy X. The betrayed look in X's face itself is worth the trouble."

The two continued to exchange blows, with neither one of them winning. X and Zero has always trained together, so each can predict the other's move. Zero would make an attack and X would counter with another.

"This is boring." Cyber Peacock commented. "No one is getting hurt. Are they just dancing or something?"

"Hey, Zero!" Vile cheered on. "Make it snappy, okay?"

X felt Zero's attacks increasing in speed. X returned the favor by blasting at him more often.

"I've got to trick him." X thought. " We can't keep this up forever." He raised his buster at an angle towards Zero and fired. Zero jumped back, then realized that the shot wasn't supposed to hit him. Large pieces of the ceiling started to crumble. Zero screamed as the pieces of rocks buried him. After the dust settled, X went over and leveled his X-Buster at the wreckage. Zero brushed the rubble from his body and saw that X has won.

Everyone held their breaths as X charged up his buster. Then to Zero's surprise, X lowered his arm and deactivated the buster.

"I was stupid." X said sadly. "I made you promise to kill me if I ever became a Maverick, but now I can't do it to you. I can't move myself to kill you, Zero, because you're my friend."

Zero studied X, who lowered his head to avoid eye contact. "Wait a minute." Zero thought. "I shouldn't fight X, because-" Zero's eyes suddenly flash crimson red as all thoughts of compassion vanished. Zero launched himself at the unarmed X and sent him crashing to the wall.

"You're a fool, X." Zero said. "Should have done it when you had the chance." Zero punched X again, knocking the wind out of him. "You're too much of a coward to be a Hunter anyway." Zero punched X again, and the Blue Hunter doubled over. No matter how many times Zero hit him X refused to retaliate. X was the reploid punching bag to Zero's punishment.

"Allow me to finish off your miserable career." Zero grabbed X's neck with his left and raised him off the round. X gasped for breath as Zero's grip tightened. Zero raised his Z-Saber to finish him off, but X raised his head.

"I'm sorry, Zero." X looked at Zero with a tearful face. "I'm sorry I couldn't save you... even though..." X struggled to talk, "you've saved me so many times."

Zero stopped and tried to think about what X just said. He looked at X's grimacing face and remembered seeing X look that way before...."X looked like that, when he first lost to Vile.... X was disheartened because he felt too weak to be of any help..."

----------

"It's no use." Zero recalled X saying. "I'm no match for Vile. I'm too weak to do anything."

"Don't worry about it, X." Zero had reassured the battered Mega Man X. "Vile was built as a war machine. If you had all the capabilities you were designed for, you would be more powerful, maybe even as powerful as me."

----------

"X did become more powerful." Zero thought to himself. "But he wasn't strong enough for Vile and his invincible ride armor. That's why I had to save him back then...That's why I had to sacrifice myself."

"Save...him..." X heard Zero say softly. Zero's eyes changed from crimson red back to green. Tears started to well up in those eyes. This was the first time X saw the Red Hunter cry. Even at his own death, Zero did not shed a tear. He was always too proud, or too strong....too scared to cry.

Zero gave X that same look again and smiled. X felt the grip around his neck disappear as he fell to the ground. He could hear the sound of metal meeting Z-Saber. When he looked up, X saw Zero slashing away at the Mavericks.

"Let's get out of here!" Cyber Peacock squeaked as the Mavericks made a quick exit. Sigma refused to move.

"Master Sigma!" Vile shouted. "We have to go. Zero is, is... possessed! He'll kill us all! We have to go."

Sigma grunted, but relented and escaped with the others. As the Mavericks made their exit, Zero glanced back at X, who was just getting up from the ground.

"Up for another party?" Zero asked.

"You bet." X choked.

Zero slung X's arm over his shoulder and helped X off the ground. It was only then that Zero noticed something was on his face. "Tears?!" He thought to himself. X started to laugh, but ended up coughing some more.

"What?" Zero said defensively as he turned away.

"Nothing, Zero." X smiled.

***********************************************************

Dr. Cain managed to get rid of the last bit of the Maverick virus from Zero with the Original Doppler Anti-Virus. Sigma and the other Mavericks were in hiding, so they never carried out their plans to blow up the Phoenix Center. Amp, Zero and X were all repaired, good as new. As for Protoman...

"You know," Protoman said as he threw a punch at Zero, "Even though Dr. Cain says you're okay, I still don't trust you."

"Really?" Zero said as he slashed his Z-Saber at Protoman. "That's unfortunate to hear. I'm really heartbroken about it."

"You'd better watch yourself, Zero." Protoman warned as he fired a shot at Zero. "The first sign of any Maverickness, I'll take care of you myself."

Protoman ducked as Zero swiped his Z-Saber at his head. Zero then tripped the Scarfed Hunter, causing him to land with a thud. Zero leaped to the end of the practice hall, and beamed proudly.

"Keep practicing, Proto." Zero chided.

"You too, Zero." Protoman pointed to the red paint on Zero's arm. "Gotcha."

"Want to try that again, Shades Boy?" Zero challenged.

"You got it, Pony Tail Head." Protoman and Zero promptly began fighting again.

X grinned as he watched the two Hunters battle, and every now and then, insult each other. Sure they talked tough, but they're okay with each other. Now X has two to count on whenever trouble comes knocking.

"X," Dr. Cain called on the intercom, "Your assistance is required in the metropolitan area. Please respond."

"On my way." X replied. "Hey!" He called out to the two reploids who were entangled in a wrestling match. "We're off."

"You sure you can handle this, blondie?" Protoman teased as he followed X out the door.

"Don't worry about me." Zero responded as he too got up. "I can fare better than any reploid who wears a scarf."

"Hey, this isn't just any scarf."

"You should talk. That yellow with gray?"

"Eh, go get a hair cut."

The three Hunters dashed into action.

End ^_^ [If you like the story, or just want to E-mail the author (Hey, I NEED an ego boost!) send them to: cloudnomiko@hotmail.com THANKS]

[PREVIOUS] [CHAPTER 8] [HOME]