Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

A Love Fortold

by

KIMBERLY A. WRIGHT

JULY 2000

` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Prologue

O'Neill Homestead - Late August 1842 - O'Neill, Nebraska Territory

Content with life on the farm, 17 year old Elizabeth is happiest when she works in the garden. One day while picking the weeds from the tomato patch, she looks up to see a band of warrior's ride towards the farm. Standing up and dusting off her hands, she waits to see what they will do when five of them break from the pack and approach her.

"Water please, our Chief was injured in a fall", says a tall good-looking warrior.

Nodding her head, she runs over to the water trough, fills the bucket and goes back to give them the water. When they lay their Chief on the ground, she looks at him and sees that he is badly injured so she asks if she could help with anything. The warrior who asked for the water spoke up, "They call me Hunts with Wolves…you are brave woman alone…what do they call you?

"My name is Elizabeth and I don't live alone…my family is in town getting supplies for the winter". After she helps with cleansing and bandaging the wounds, she watches as they ride away, thinking the one called Hunt's with Wolves is a truly handsome man.

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Eight days have passed since helping the Chief and as she goes outside, she wonders how he is doing. Walking to the garden again to get some vegetables for lunch she hears the sound of riders approaching.. Looking in their direction, she notices that it is Hunt's with Wolves and two other warriors. "Good afternoon…how is your Chief today?", she asks when they near.

"My father does well, thank you", replies Hunt's with Wolves, "he sends me to give a gift for helping him". Then he dismounts from his horse as he takes a necklace from around his neck and places it around hers.

"Thank you", she whispers as she looks at the blue stone. Suddenly it starts to glow and her eyes widen in astonishment, "Why does it glow this way?"

Hunt's with Wolves is just as astonished as she is…maybe more so, since the stone is only supposed to glow for the People. Then he takes her hands in his and tells her of the story of the stone, "It is said among our people that when a warrior gives the stone to a woman, if the stone glows then they will be promised to each other. This is the first that the stone has been given to a white woman…you must return with me to my village so that we may talk with my father and our Shaman".

"But I cannot leave my family…father would be especially upset…he don't care none too much for Indians since some of our horses were stolen a few years ago".

"Ok…I will return alone, but I will come back for you…with or without your father's knowledge".

` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Chapter 1

Months go by before she sees Wolf again, not knowing that he has been watching her from a distance. One day he brings his son's, Coyote Eyes and Little Pup with him to show them the woman who has made his heart happy again. He tells them, "She is the one who saved your grandfather many moons past".

Watching their father sitting on his horse with a silly grin plastered on his face, the boys exchange knowing looks and come to the conclusion that it is past time for him to take another mate.

"Father?"…"Father!"

"Hmm, what is it my son", he replies as he reluctantly looks away from his Elizabeth.

"Little Pup and I have come to an agreement", Coyote Eyes begins, "we miss mother just as you do…so if you want her", he points towards Elizabeth, "then it's ok with us."

Smiling at his sons, he responds, "Good…I intend to make her mine. Now let's go meet your new mother." As they approach, she looks up and upon seeing who it was, she drops the laundry and runs to greet them. Hunt's with Wolves jumps from his horse and waits for her with open arms. "Oh Wolf, I have missed you so", she says as she flings herself into his embrace.

"And I too have missed you, my Lizbeth…I have come to take you to the village where we will be bonded."

Looking up into his rich brown eyes, she replies, "Are you asking me to be your wife…your mate?"

"Yes"

Hugging him tightly again, she whispers, "I would be honored to be yours".

After several more days of seeing each other in secret, she finally agrees to go with him to the village where they are bonded in a beautiful ceremony under the glow of a full moon. More content than she'd ever been at her father's farm, Elizabeth and Wolf love each other endlessly. Then one day while he is out with the other men, her father comes storming into the village with the Sheriff and his men to take her back to the farm.

"No…I will not go with you…I am old enough to be on my own and choose where I want to live", she says angrily.

"You choose to live as a savage?", her father yells back at her, "how dare you!"

"But fath…"

Grabbing her roughly by the arm and dragging her away all the while she is pleading with him not to make her go back. "Shut up Liz…no child of mine will shame this family by living in such manner."

As she is dragged past her mother-in-law, she cries out in the Pawnee tongue, "Tell Wolf I love him and I will ret…"

"I said shut up Elizabeth", her father responds with a slap to her face.

A few days later, a heartbroken and angry Elizabeth sits silently in the wagon as they make their way east again, back to her father's plantation home in Kansas City, Missouri. They are welcomed home by the staff, but all she could think about was how much she misses her husband. Shaking her head in answer to one of the maids, she heads straight to her old room where she cries herself to sleep. She wakes later upon hearing someone softly puttering about in the room and looks up to see old Martha putting her things away. Crying fresh tears, she whispers, "Just leave everything where it is".

"But Mizz Liz, mas'er tol' me…"

"I don't give a damn what my father says…he's forced me to return to this mausoleum of a house he calls home, a place I can't stand to live in anymore".

Martha sits on the bed next to her and gently takes Liz into her arms, "Now, now child, you jus' tell ole Martha all 'bout what's aillin' you." So Liz tells her about how happy she was out west and how she met an Indian named Wolf.

"Wolf?"

"Yes, but his entire name is Hunt's with Wolves…it's just easier to call him Wolf. Oh Martha, I miss him so…I just want to go back."

"We'll thin' of somethin' child, don' you worry…ole Martha will see what she can do. Now let me run your bath so's you can have a good soak before dinner, hmm".

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Two Months Later

Sitting down for lunch with her mother one day, Elizabeth finds herself not being able to eat and pushes the plate away.

"Elizabeth, why have you not touched your lunch?", her mother asks.

"Guess I'm not that hungry today".

"You've not been hungry a lot lately…are you with child?"

Keeping her eyes averted, she shrugs her shoulders and whispers, "I'm not sure".

"Well, we'll just have to take you to see the doctor first thing in the morning and if you are…", she let the threat hang in the air.

Quickly getting up, Elizabeth runs to her room wanting…needing desperately to get away from this house. The next morning bright and early, she and her mother are on their way to see the doctor. Her mother's suspicion is confirmed when the doctor tells them that Elizabeth is about two months along into the pregnancy. On the way home, they do not speak to each other, but when they reach the gates, her mother finally says, "You go straight to your room while I speak with your father about this matter."

` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Chapter 2

After waiting an eternity, her parents finally enter her room. She can see that her father is livid. His arms folded across his chest, he begins to pace the floor cursing under his breath, then stopping right in front of her and tells her how she has shamed the family name and that she will get rid of the child.

"NO!!", she cries, "you have already forced me to come back to this mausoleum…forced me from my husband and I will leave this house before you can make me get rid of any child of his!"

Outraged at his daughter's behavior, he bellows, "We'll just see about that now won't we…you live here and I will not have some savage running about this house!!"

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

February 1843

After going through several hours of childbirth, Elizabeth finally gets to hold her daughter. "I shall name you Breanna Nicole…your father would probably spoil you, but he would be proud. I miss him so much daughter of my heart…"

Knock, knock

"Who is it?"

"Jus' me Mizz Liz…wanted to see the baby."

Smiling at Martha, as she peek's her head around the door, she motions her to enter. "Oh Martha, what are we going to do?"

"Do not worry chil'…listen to Martha when she say…the moon bright and full the way it is, is a good sign…you'll be seein' that husband of yours someday soon."

"You really think so?"

"Mhm, Martha knows so."

As they continue to converse, they are completely unaware that Liz' father is standing just outside the door listening to everything that's being said and getting angrier by the minute. A plan forms in his mind and he goes to tell one of his men.

7 years later

Liz and Breanna have lived in relative peace with the elder O'Neil's for the past seven years that Liz feels safe enough to go to town for a little shopping, leaving her daughter in Martha's capable hands. After she leaves, her father goes looking for Martha and the child.

"Marrrthha…Maaarrrrthha!", he yells while walking up the stairs to the second landing.

"Yes mas'er, here I am."

"Martha, where is that girl?"

A feeling of unease swept through Martha's soul; "I'm not sure mas'er…she was in her room playin'."

"Just go fetch her and be quick about it."

Knowing not to disobey orders, Martha goes to get little Breanna and with a heavy heart, she brings her to the mas'er. Then she watches with tears in her eyes as some strangers take Breanna away. When Elizabeth returns to the house, she finds Martha bawling like a baby and asks what happened.

"He sent her away…he sent her away."

"No", she whispers then goes to confront her father. "Just who the hell do you think you are…how dare you!"

With a raised eyebrow, "How dare I? No daughter…how dare you!"

"I hate you father…you have destroyed my life. A month goes by, then two…three; during the tenth month of being separated from her daughter, Liz decides to take her daily walk to the park and sits on her favorite bench. As she sits down, she watches the other parents with their children and wishes she knew where her father had sent Breanna.

"Oh, Bre…I miss you so", she cries softly. Then upon seeing a handsome gentleman approach the bench, she swipes the tears away from her face just as he sits down.

"Beautiful morning, isn't it?"

"Mmhm", she replies not trusting her voice.

"Would it be presumptuous of me to ask your name?"

Shaking her head, she says softly, "My name is Elizabeth…and yours?"

Leaning closer to whisper, he answers, "Wolf."

"Wolf?", she replies with a gasp, as she looks closer at the man. Seeing that he was telling the truth, she slowly raises her hand to the short length of his hair and whispers, "You cut your hair."

"Had to so that we wouldn't scare anyone away", he laughs. "Now that I've finally found you…we can head back to the village."

Wrapping her arms tightly around her husband she begins to cry, "But we cannot leave without our daughter."

"Daughter…we have a daughter?"

"Yes my love, but father sent her away some ten months ago and I don't know when she'll be returning."

"Not to worry…I will have one of my men keep an eye out for her, however I feel it's best that we leave as soon as possible…I feel danger in the air if I stay too long.

` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Chapter 3

February 1851

Finally being able to return to her mother after spending almost an entire year at the stupid boarding school, Breanna is told by her grandfather that her mother had run away.

"She would never leave me with the likes of you", she replies scathingly as she runs back outside and to the stables. When she reaches the stables, she collapses into a pile of hay and cries. Hearing footsteps a few moments later and thinking it might be the mean old man; she searches for a place to hide.

"Breanna…Breanna?", came the soft whisper of a voice.

Realizing that it's not the mean old man, she slowly emerges from her hiding spot and replies, "Who are you?"

"I am friend of your parents…my name is Man of many Smiles, but you can call me Uncle Tom. They tell me to wait for you…to bring you back to the village with me and to give you this", he says as he holds out her mother's blue stone necklace.

With tears in her eyes, she takes the necklace and says, "They didn't desert me…when do we leave?"

"In two days time, I will come back for you saying that the school had let you return home too soon".

"But the old man is smart…he will find out abo…"

"No…we will first go the direction of the school, but we will turn around and catch ride on the noisy horse…uhm, a train. Then when we reach the last stop, we will join up with people who ride in covered wagons…understand?" When she nods her head, he replies, "Good, now go back to the house and wait for my return…do not speak of this to anyone."

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Finally the longest two days pass and her uncle returns, posing as a member of the school. Standing at the top of the stairs as he talks with her grandmother, she listens carefully. Then her grandmother turns around and seeing her, she tells her to go get her bags packed.

"But…"

"No buts, young lady…just get them and be quick about it."

Turning towards her room, she hides a smile and does what her grandmother asked her to do. Picking up her bags she starts to rush back down the stairs, but stops because she remembers that she is supposed to be sad about leaving again and when she reaches her grandmother and uncle, she puts on her best pouty face.

When they are far enough away from the house, she leans over to her uncle and whispers; "We fooled her didn't we?"

"Yes we did", he replies with a smile.

When they reach Fort Scott, they buy some provisions for the long journey back to the village. After a quick lunch, Uncle Tom says that he will find out when the next wagons will be leaving and tells Breanna to wait outside.

"Excuse me sir", he says to the clerk, "When are the next wagons leaving?"

"Hmm, lets see here…oh yeah…there's a few families that are plannin' on leavin' day after t'morrow. Will that be ok?"

"Yes sir and thank you." Then he exits the office and tells Breanna that they have to stay the night in town.

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Leaving Fort Scott behind, they head west toward the town of Hays where some of the people have relatives. After those people are dropped off, they'll head north towards Kearney then onto O'Neill.

"Uncle Tom?", she says several hours later.

"Yes Breanna?"

"It smells much better out here than in the city and there's soooo much land. No buildings being squashed together…sure is much, much prettier than the city too."

He laughs a big laugh, "I agree with you niece and you are just as pretty as the wildflowers growing on the land."

A few days later as they were taking a break to eat lunch with the rest of the people, Breanna leans over to her uncle and whispers, "Know what?"

"What?"

"Today’s my birthday", she replies with a smile.

"Your birthday huh…and how old are you now?"

"Eight".

He then gives her a hug and responds with his own smile, "You know before long you’ll have boys fallin’ all over themselves, trying to get you to like them."

"Ugh…boys are gross."

As they finish their lunch, getting back up into the wagon, she and her uncle keep bantering back and forth about boys liking her.

` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Chapter 4

18 February 1851

Breanna is woken up at the sound of gunfire and screaming coming from the other wagons. Peeking over at her uncle, she cries, "Uncle Tom what’s happening?"

"Keep down…cover yourself real good and don’t move or talk till I am sure that it’s safe…ok?"

Nodding her head, she ducks under the covers and curling up into the smallest ball she could make herself into, she places her hands over her ears as tears pool in her eyes. After what seems to be forever, she uncovers her ears and listens…nothing, just an eerie silence greets her. Still she doesn’t move. Deciding a few moments later that it was safe enough to poke her head out from the blankets, she begins to whisper for her uncle. Then she hears the soft voice of one of the other women and tentatively sticks her head out the back of the wagon. Seeing the lady named Miss Applebee, she stumbles out of the wagon and runs to her.

Holding the terrified and trembling child, Sarah tries to calm her down by asking if she was ok. When she feels the child nod, she asks for her name.

"Bre…an…na. Have you seen my Uncle Tom?"

"I’m sorry Breanna…I think he didn’t survive the attack."

"NO", she cries as she jerks away from Miss Applebee, "No he can’t be dead…he promised my family…he promised." Then she takes off running back to the wagon to check again. Not finding him there, she climbs up on the side to look around the field thinking he might be lying somewhere in pain. Squinting her eyes as she tries to focus through the tears, she notices sheets scattered about the field. Jumping down and running to the nearest sheet to look closer, she finds herself stopping suddenly when she realizes that its covering up one of the people. She slowly lifts to see who is was and is relieved that it wasn’t her uncle. She does this to all the sheets that she finds and then when she lifts up the fifth one - she stumbles backwards.

"NO, NO, NO"

Slowly lifting the sheet again and crumpling to the ground, she begins to wail as she pounds on her uncle's chest. Then she lowers her head to his chest crying, "Wake up…please. You promised to take me home…please, pleeeaase wake up."

Miss Applebee stands quietly nearby as Breanna cries for her uncle, then she gently takes her into her arms and replies, "Come with me Breanna…we need to let Mr. Victor and his son begin the burials.."

"No…I can’t leave him." But she goes with Miss Applebee anyway to where a small campfire had been started where she is held in the loving arms and is gently rocked to sleep.

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

The next morning while the other survivors salvage the wagons that they could, Breanna kneels beside her uncles fresh grave promising that once she reaches her village, she will tell her father to send some of his men to bring him home. Saying a final prayer and good-by, she is startled when someone screams. Turning around, she sees a band of Indians coming towards them. 'Not again'.

As she rushes over to Miss Applebee, she asks, "Are they going to attack us too?"

"I don’t think so…they would be coming faster."

When the Indians get closer, Mr. Victor and his son go for their guns. Upon seeing this, Miss Applebee just gives them one of her stern looks and shakes her head. As they stop in front of her and Breanna, the leader nudges his horse closer and says that they saw the smoke in the distance so he decided to find out what had happened. Miss Applebee tells him what happened and points towards the direction that the attackers went, then after he sends a few of his men to give chase, he asks, "What is your name?"

"Sarah Applebee" "Yours?"

"I am called Red Bear…I am war chief among my people, the Kiowa." Then he looks at the little girl standing next to her and asks, "Who is the child?"

Placing Breanna behind her, she replies, "The child is mine."

When Red Bear starts to shake his head Breanna comes out from behind Miss Applebee and responds by sticking her tongue at him then says, "So you think you think I don't belong to her? Well what if I don't…what will you do?"

"Breanna Nicole…you do not speak to your elders that way!"

"He is not my elder", she replies haughtily.

Red Bear laughs at her, admiring her spirit and replies as he dismounts from his horse, "You are brave little girl to speak that way to a war chief." Then he cups her chin and looks into her eyes; "We will call you Little Fire because of your bravery and of the sun shinning in your hair."

When he turns back towards his men, he tells them that they will help these people to their destination. Then looking at his brother he says, "Running Buck, take care of the horses." When his brother does not comply, Red Bear goes over to him and whispers, "Why do you defy me?"

Running Buck just sits on his horse staring at the white men and tells his brother that he will not help. Furious at his younger brother, Red Bear yanks him off of his horse and says angrily that they will help these people.

"But you know what they did to our mother and Litt…", shutting his mouth quickly when Red Bear shakes him, he replies, "All right, but I still don't like it." Then grabbing the reigns of all the horses, he storms of towards the trees.

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

With their unlikely escort, the survivors make their way towards Hays again two days later. While sitting next to Miss Applebee, Breanna whispers, "Miss Sarah…I think Mr. Red Bear is watching us."

Turning her head slightly Sara replies, "No, I don't think so…I think he's wondering why his brother is watching you".

"Why would Mr. Running Buck be watching me? He didn't even want to help us."

"I don't know…maybe he likes you a bit."

"Yuck…boys are…are…are so gross."

Shaking her head with a laugh, Sarah responds, "Boys aren't that gross once you get to know them…besides I think it'd be kinda sweet if he did like you…he is good to look at, don't you think?"

"No way…he…he…oooo, gross."

As they continue their journey, they get to know Red Bear and his men while asking questions of each other's lives. Even Running Buck is loosening up around everybody, especially Breanna and Miss Sarah. The fact that Breanna was the only young child close to his age of 10 summers made him want to tease her like a sister. So he does. One day while taking a break from riding, he begins to tease her when she starts throwing pebbles at him.

"You throw like a girl", as he laughs at her.

"That's because I am…you stupid boy", as she continues to toss the pebbles. When he continues to tease her, she runs after him yelling, "You'd better stop it or you'll be sorry!"

"Oh yeah", he replies over his shoulder, "Make me you sil…aaahhh."

Seeing him stumble over a good-sized rock, she launches herself at him and pins him to the ground, pounding on his bare chest. "Just you wait till I get home and tell my father, you…you mean old bully. He'll show you not to tease me…"

"Yeah?" "And what would he do to me", he replies laughing as he grabs her flailing fists.

"He…he…well he'll tie you down and let me beat you up."

Shaking his head as he pushes her off of him, "You…beat me up? No way…you are puny little girl and I…I am Running Buck…Kiowa brave."

Punching him as hard as she could, she stands up with hands on her hips, "So you're just a puny brave…my father is Pawnee Chief and he will ha…"

"Pawnee?" "Is Hunt's with Wolves your father?"

She nods her head, not being able to say anything because of the dangerous glint in Running Buck's eyes. As she starts to back away from him, he grabs her by the arms saying, "You have the sun in your hair and eyes the color of sweetgrass." Then realizing that she is trembling and has tears in her eyes he shakes his head and says, "Your mother must be white…stay away from me…I do not like the white man or your father." With that said he shoves her away and walks back to sit with his brother.

Watching him as he walk away Breanna tries to figure out why he would hate her father and mother. Then deciding she wouldn't let him treat her that way she storms over to stand in front of him and demands to know why.

"Why what?"

Red Bear and Miss Sarah say at the same time. When Breanna explains to them the situation, Red Bear turns to his brother and replies, "You will apologize…what happened between Hunt's with Wolves and myself happened a long time ago. We were young and stupid, not thinking of the consequences and both of us carry the scars of that stupidity. Now apologize."

Finally they reach the outskirts of Hays. Saying good-by to their new friends, they head into town and pull up in front of the doctor's office. Taking the wounded survivors into the office, Miss Applebee explains to the doctor what had happened, but says nothing of their Kiowa friends. When the Marshal shows up, she repeats her story. Later on as the days go by Miss Applebee and Breanna prepare to say good-by.

"Breanna, please don't cry", Miss Sarah says softly one evening in their room at the hotel. "You know I have to continue on to Sweetwater to teach at the new school…they're expecting me and you have to return to your family."

"I know", she replies with a sniffle, "but I don't want you to leave…I'll never see you again."

Giving the small girl a gentle hug, "Yes you will…someday. Now come on and get some rest, your stage leaves in the morning and the Jacob's have said they would watch over you as you journey home.

The next morning as Breanna and Miss Sarah wait for her stage to arrive, she starts to cry again. Mrs. Jacob takes a hold of her hand and whispers, "Don't worry none child…we'll get there safely." A few minutes later, the Jacobs, Breanna and another young couple board the stage to O'Neill, Nebraska Territory. As the stage pulls away, she turns in her seat and pokes her head out the window with tears flowing down her face as she waves good-by to Miss Applebee.

` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Chapter 5

O'Neill, Nebraska Territory - March 1851

Finally reaching her mother's town and stepping off the stage, she hears a voice she hadn't heard in a very long time. Turning towards the sound with tears in her eyes, she runs into her mother's open arms.

"Mommy, mommy, I have missed you so much."

"Oh my sweet little girl…I have miss you too. Let's get your things and head home. Your father will b…where is Uncle Tom?"

Breanna just shakes her head as fresh tears course down her cheeks.

"You will tell us later?"

"Yes", she replies with a whisper.

After thanking the Jacobs for seeing her daughter safely home, Elizabeth picks up the bags, putting them and Breanna on a horse then she mounts up on her own. When they reach the village the men and children immediately surround them with the women watching from a distance. They ride further until they come to a stop in front of the dwelling with the most markings on it.

"Mommy?"

"Sh…wait."

As they wait, a handsome looking man emerges from the dwelling followed by two younger men. Breanna looks to her mother and asks, "Which one is father?"

"The one with the long feather head-dress…the others are your brothers…Coyote Eyes and Little Pup."

When the men approach her and her mother, the one who her mother said was her father looks at her then looks over to her mother and talks in a language she didn't understand.

"Mommy, what is he saying?"

"He asks if you are his daughter and I just told him that you were."

Father and daughter just stare at each other after Breanna got off her horse then when he holds out his arms; she looks to her mother who nods with a smile. When she looks back at her father, hesitating momentarily then runs into his embrace.

"It is good to meet you father," she whispers.

"It is good to meet you too my daughter."

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Going into the dwelling and sitting around the small fire, Wolf just can't stop looking at his daughter. "Just like her mother", he thinks then says out loud, "Lizbeth…I did not see Man of many Smiles as you came into camp…why was he not with our daughter?"

"I don't know. Breanna said she would tell us when we returned to the village."

"Daughter…what has happened?"

As the tears pool in her eyes, Breanna relates the story of the attack and how Uncle Tom had told her to keep down. "When he didn't call for me, I looked up and didn't see him. Then I heard Miss Applebee and asked her if she'd seen him…when she said that he was killed, I went looking for him. I found him under one of the sheets that were covering up all those who were dead. The next day, some Kiowa's were kind enough to help us…daddy, don't fight w/Mr. Red Bear anymore…ok."

"Red Bear?"

"Mhmm. He said you and him were friends, but when you first met you fought and have scars from the fight…can I see?"

"Maybe later, but first I need to send some of my warriors to bring Man of many Smiles home."

Later that evening at a the fires, sitting between her parents with her brother's standing behind them, Red Eagle begins to tell them a story of a child living among them. "This child has already met their true mate and the bond between them will bring peace to the two tribes", then looking over at Breanna he says, "You are this child", and motions her to come closer.

Slowly she approaches to stand before him. When he reaches for her right shoulder and begins to expose it, her mother surges to his feet, but is stopped by her husband as they see the marking. "This is the sign that this child and that of another tribe will be bonded."

"And what tribe does this warrior belong to?", asks her father.

"Kiowa", Red Eagle answers.

Breanna whispers, "Buck"

They say at the same time, then Red Eagle returns to his dwelling, leaving a stunned Breanna standing there. When her mother comes up behind her, she turns around and says, "Will this really happen?"

"If Red Eagle says it will happen…it will. Now come, we must get some rest so that in the morning I will show you what you are to do."

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

April 1860

"But mother, I don't want to leave my people."

"Moon Flower, you heard what Red Eagle said at the fires last week and besides your friend Miss Applebee will be expecting you."

"But mo…"

"No buts daughter…now lets get going or you'll miss the stage to Sweetwater".

Arriving at the stage office in O'Neill just before noon, they find out that the next stage to Sweetwater will be arriving by two. They then walk the general store to get some snacks for Breanna and head back to the stage office to wait. When the stage arrives, Breanna says good-by to her mother with a hug and climbs aboard.

Closing her eyes on a sigh and clutching her own blue stone necklace, she thinks about what Red Eagle said and her heart beats faster when the image of a 10 year old Buck crosses her mind. "Wonder what he looks like now?"

A few moments later she hears someone say, "Excuse me, but aren't you the little girl that came this way about nine years ago?"

Slowly opening her eyes to see who was asking and then recognizing the person, she whispers, "Mrs. Jacob?"

"My Lord, it is you. What a fine young lady you've grown into." Then they catch up on things that have been happening in their lives for the past nine years.

"So, you have family in Sweetwater?"

"No…I'm going to stay with Miss Applebee for a while".

"Oh, that nice young lady you were clinging to in Hays?"

"Yes".

` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Chapter 6

Reaching Sweetwater safely and after saying good-by to Mrs. Jacob, she picks up her bag and enters the stage office to ask the clerk where Miss Applebee lives.

"Miss Sarah Applebee?", the clerk asks when he looks up.

"Yes sir."

"My Aunt lives at the end of town in the blue house with the white fence around it. Who are you?"

"I'm Breanna Nic…"

"Oh, so you're the girl I've heard so much about. She should be home. Turn left as you head out the door and welcome to Sweetwater."

She heads out the door after saying thank you and begins to make her way down the walkways. Keeping her head held high, she passes many shops when someone coming out of one of the shops suddenly bumps into her.

"Excuse me", she apologizes.

"Oh no…excuse me Miss, I didn't see you comin'."

"Well of course not…you were walking backwards."

Laughing, he responds, "Yeah…true." "William F. Cody at your service ma'am."

Smiling back at him she begins to reply, "Bre…", then she notices Buck exiting the store.

Buck just stares into a pair of green eyes he'd never thought he'd see again as Cody turns to find out why the lovely lady stopped talking all of a sudden. Breanna mumbles another apology and takes off down the walkway.

"Now see what you done went and did Buck," Cody complains. "You done scared her away."

Buck just watches Breanna's fleeing backside her bright auburn hair flowing in the breeze, not paying attention to anything Cody's saying. Just then Jimmy walks out of the store and says, "What're you two just standin' around for…you know Emma's goin' to be mad if we're late with the supplies again.

Jimmy…Buck jus scared the most pret…ow…darnit Buck, why'd…"

"You stay away from her…all of you." Then he takes of in the direction that she had run.

"Well, well, if that don't beat all…looks like our friend has found a lady love," Jimmy smiles as they watch Buck run after Breanna. "Come on Cody, lets get these supplies to Emma."

 

` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

To be continued...

 

Feedback

 

Back