Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

"Second Chances"

(A Sequel to "A Love Reborn")

By Melissa and Lisa

Chapter 1

Jimmy sat silently in the small church thinking about his lost friend. It had been a little over a month since Devon's death but it had seemed like only yesterday to Jimmy. He sat and thought about the fact that though he and Devon only had known each other a short while, she seemed to know him like no other person ever did, he doubted if anyone would ever get close enough to know him again. He never heard anyone come into the church, but he sensed their presence. He closed his eyes and tried to ignore them.

"You have to stop mourning Jimmy."

Jimmy's eyes snapped open and he sat up straight, "Devon?" He turned around slowly. There stood the woman who had died in Buck's arms. Jimmy eyes were wide as he took in her appearance. She was pale and her eyes were clouded and lifeless, as he looked at her dress he saw it was soaked with blood . . . her blood.

"I'm dead Jimmy, and there's nothing you can do about it."

Jimmy opened his mouth to protest . . .

"NO!"

Jimmy's scream broke through the silence of the bunkhouse. As the other riders woke and looked over at him in worry, Jimmy grabbed his clothes and began getting dressed.

"Jimmy are you alright?" Lou asked, her voice thick with sleep.

"I'm fine, go back to sleep"

"Where are ya goin'?" Cody asked.

Jimmy got up after putting his boots on and grabbed his jacket on the way to the door.

"Out." He said as he left.

"He's still having nightmares." Kid said.

"I wish he'd just tell us what it is he dreams about." Lou added.

"Maybe we should tell Teaspoon." Buck answered

*************************************

Jimmy rode in the early morning sunshine to no particular destination, a couple of hours later he found himself sitting in front of the Marshal's office gazing out into the street. He saw Kid and Lou ride up to the town's small restaurant with Buck and Lily. The two couples stood outside the doors talking amicably and seeing it made something twist in Jimmy's gut. He turned his head to look up the other side of the street when a lone figure on a black horse caught his attention.

Jimmy watched in stunned silence as the girl dismounted and tethered her horse to the hitching post in front of him.

"Here you are." She said. "I went to the waystation to see if you wanted to go for a ride, and Rachel told me you'd left early but that I'd probably find you here."

With his nightmare still fresh in his mind he bounded down the stairs and swept her into his arms giving her a bear hug and swinging her in a circle.

"Devon, I am so glad to see you." He whispered into her ear.

"James Butler Hickok, put me down. People will begin to tell tales." She said, "And I could do without any more talk."

Jimmy put her down and cupped her face in his hands. He stared at her; searching her features. He looked at her violet eyes, the blush that had crept into her cheeks from her slight embarrassment, and her small heart shaped lips that were positioned in a small smile.

"Now that is what I call a welcome." She teased, "What has gotten into you? Rachel said you've been acting strangely."

Jimmy pulled Devon up onto the small porch in front of the office and sat next to her on a small bench.

"I had another nightmare last night."

Devon grabbed her friend's hand and held it. Jimmy had told her of the nightmares that had been haunting him since the day on the gallows. The nightmares that had always ended with her death.

"Jimmy, you've got to get past this."

Jimmy's eyebrows furrowed together, "I can't. Devon, someone shot at you. You could've been killed. How can you be so calm about this?"

Devon shrugged slightly. "It's just a scratch. Now I don't know what would've happened if Teaspoon and the others hadn't gotten there in time, but they did. This was six weeks ago Jimmy, and a lot has happened since then. Besides, shouldn't I be the one having the nightmares?" She gave Jimmy her most angelic smile, and he couldn't resist smiling back. He squeezed her hand before continuing.

"I guess you're right. It just scares me to think that you could've been taken away from me before I got to know you better. I mean I don't have a lot of friends, and you're the only one who understands what I'm going through." As Jimmy spoke his eyes wandered over to where the two couples still stood talking.

Devon looked over to see what he was staring at and her chest constricted at the sight of the two couples. The fact was that although she could try to put the events that had led her to the gallows behind her, the loss of Buck weighed on her heavily.

After her small gunshot wound was taken care of, and Teaspoon had revealed that Thompkins’ feed and not her "witchcraft" had been the cause of the livestock deaths Buck had taken Devon home. Once there he told her that he had decided he loved Lily and had chosen to be with her.

Devon remembered nodding numbly and telling him that it wasn't their time, and had since forged a somewhat shaky friendship with both Lily and Lou. For all intents and purposes she had the appearance of quiet acceptance, but Jimmy knew better, he had been there when she'd cried.

Devon turned her attention back to Jimmy. "So that's why you've been so moody. Have they pledged themselves to each other for all eternity?"

"They're not Buck and Lily," He said with a small smile. He knew that by teasing her, the facts would hurt less. He sighed and shook his head, "I hate feeling this way he's my best friend."

"And she's the woman you're in love with. Jimmy, you know how I feel about this whole thing." She began.

"And I told you, I can't do what you did. I can't risk it." He answered impatiently.

"Okay so you don't want to put your heart on the line, not to mention your hide." Jimmy gave her one of his sternest looks, and she continued. "I know how well you and the Kid get along when she's involved."

"Devon don't start on her." Jimmy warned.

Devon opened her violet eyes wide in mock innocence. "Me? Say anything about little-miss-perfect Louise McCloud? I should think I would be struck down by lightning."

Jimmy had to laugh at the expression on her face. "Just stop right now I don't want to hear it."

Devon rose from the bench, "Well if you don't want to hear my plan then I guess I should just go." She turned and began to walk to Starlight.

"Wait! What plan?" Jimmy said as he got up behind her.

Devon turned to face him, the innocent expression still plastered on her face, "No I can't. You don't want me talking about you-know-who." She nodded in the direction of Lou.

"Just tell me."

"Okay. But promise to hear me out before you say anything."

"I promise."

"Good. Now what if Lou was made to see what she's missing by not being with you?"

"How?"

"Me." Devon answered with a big grin.

Jimmy crossed his arms over his chest. "I don't understand."

"Let's see if I can explain. Everyone already thinks there's something romantic going on between us because of all the time you spend on my spread-"

"But I'm just helping you out with the animals and crops." He protested.

Devon arched an eyebrow. "I know that, but everyone in this town thinks they know everything. So what I'm saying is that you can pretend to court me, that will give me an excuse to be around the waystation, and while I'm there I can boast about you. If she's like any woman she has doubts about settling down, and she'll begin to wonder."

"It sounds too sneaky." Jimmy said as he shook his head.

"What's the worst that could happen, she stays with the Kid?"

"Well-"

"Come on Jimmy, you're a great guy. Besides, shouldn't you have the opportunity to show Lou you deserve a chance too?"

Devon held her breath while Jimmy thought about it. After several moments, he nodded slowly. "Okay, I'll try it. When do we start?"

Devon smiled broadly, her violet eyes sparkling mischievously. "No time like the present, shall we invite ourselves to lunch?"

Chapter 2

 

Devon and Jimmy walked over to where Buck, Lily, Kid and Lou were standing and laughing. At the sight of Jimmy and Devon, the four of them quieted down and smiled.

"Hello Devon, how are you feeling?" Lou asked politely.

Devon smiled sweetly at Lou. "Much better, thank you." She turned and looked up at Jimmy. "I don’t know what I would have done if it hadn’t been for Jimmy."

Jimmy coughed and smiled uncomfortably. "Nah, I didn’t do anything but make sure that you were comfortable and healed right."

Devon reached up and caressed his cheek, grinning slyly. "And you sure did make me comfortable."

Buck cleared his throat and Lily laughed quietly.

"What is this?" Kid teased. "Are you blushin’ Jimmy?"

Devon looped her arm through his and smiled at the group. "Now, what on earth could possibly make James Butler Hickok blush?"

Lou’s eyes widened, but Kid squeezed her hand to keep her quiet, all the while grinning himself.

"So, uh, what are the two of you up to?" Buck asked, trying not to grin himself.

"Nothing," Jimmy said at the same time that Devon said "Lunch."

Jimmy glanced at Devon and she nodded at him before turning back to the four riders. "We were just about to go and have some lunch at the restaurant. Would you care to join us?"

Lou was about to protest when Kid spoke up. "Sure, that sounds like fun."

"Kid!" Lou whispered harshly, elbowing him in the ribs.

Devon pretended like she hadn’t heard Lou and smiled. "Great! Why don’t we go inside?"

The four of them were about to turn and walk into the saloon when a little boy came running over to them. He was about ten years old, with fiery red hair and a generous sprinkling of freckles across the bridge of his nose and his round cheeks.

"D-E-V-O-N!" The boy spelled out the letters of Devon’s name instead of saying it.

Devon turned and smiled at the boy. "Dennis! What a surprise!"

Dennis smiled shyly and looked down.

"What are you doing here? Is your mother with you?" Devon asked.

"N-O. S-H-E-I-S-B-A-C-K-A-T-T-H-E-H-O-U-S-E." Dennis spelled again.

Jimmy looked at the kid like he had two heads. "Huh?"

Devon smiled and placed her hand protectively on Dennis’ back. "Jimmy, Lou, Kid, Buck, Lily, I’d like to introduce you to Dennis Collins. Dennis, these are more of my friends from the Pony Express."

Dennis’ eyes widened with intrigue. "T-H-E-P-O-N-Y-E-X-P-R-E-S-S?"

Kid furrowed his brow as he tried to understand Dennis. "What’s he sayin’?"

"Hey kid," Jimmy turned towards Dennis with a confused look on his face. "Is there a reason you’re spellin’ everything out?"

Dennis looked at Devon before turning back to Jimmy and smiling mischievously. "N-O-I-J-U-S-T-L-I-K-E-D-O-I-N-G-I-T-C-A-N-T-Y-O-U-S-P-E-L-L?" He spelled out quickly.

Jimmy’s eyes widened and his jaw dropped. "What the hell-"

"Jimmy." Devon warned as Dennis giggled innocently and the other riders laughed. The only ones who couldn’t understand Dennis were Jimmy and Kid, but Jimmy was getting annoyed, while Kid found it amusing.

"Devon, make him stop!" Jimmy ordered.

Devon smiled and shook her head. "I can’t. He doesn’t talk, he just spells everything out."

Lou laughed. "Dennis, you must be new around here, I don’t ever remember seeing you before today."

"Hell, you couldn’t have forgotten him that’s for sure." Jimmy muttered, earning a warning glance from Devon.

"I-J-U-S-T-G-O-T-H-E-R-E." Dennis answered.

"Devon!" Jimmy whined.

Devon smiled and took a deep breath. "Dennis just got here a couple of days ago. He and his mother moved into the old Jefferson ranch, right down the road from my place."

"W-E-L-L-I-H-A-V-E-T-O-G-O-N-O-W." Dennis turned to Devon. "I-L-L-S-E-E-Y-O-U-L-A-T-E-R." He turned towards the rest of the riders. "N-I-C-E-M-E-E-T-I-N-G-Y-O-U-A-L-L."

Lily grinned. "It was nice meeting you too Dennis."

Jimmy grumbled and waved goodbye as Dennis trotted off into the General Store. Once he was out of earshot, Jimmy turned towards Devon. "That is one weird kid."

"He’s a good kid. A bit mischievous, but I’m sure you were the same way when you were his age." Devon grinned as she winked at him and looped her arm through his again. "Now, if I remember correctly, weren’t we all on our way to have lunch before Dennis showed up?"

Jimmy leaned down and whispered in her ear. "You’re not going to give up on this, are you?"

Devon looked up and giggled. "Not on your life!" She turned towards the other riders and smiled, making sure to avoid looking at Buck. Even though the two of them had talked after the shooting, hearing Buck tell her that he had chosen Lily over her had practically ripped her heart out of her chest. He had asked her if it would be all right if they remained friends, and Devon had agreed. But she had never imagined that it would be this painful to see the two of them together. Before Buck had made his decision, she hadn’t seen the two of them as a couple, but now they went everywhere together - and they weren’t very subtle about their feelings for each other. And it was driving her crazy.

 

Chapter 3

The group headed into the town's restaurant with Devon in the lead. She turned briefly to give a mumbling Jimmy a sly smile and collided into the one person she had never wanted to see again.

"Whoa there." Thompkins said as he steadied her.

Devon's eyes grew wide and her body became stiff in the older man's grasp. Thompkins quickly dropped his hands from her shoulders and looked down into her face.


"Hello Devon." He said.

Devon took one step backwards to give her body some room from this man who had wanted to hang her, and bumped into Jimmy who placed his hands on her shoulders in a silent gesture of comfort and felt the tremors shaking her.

"Excuse us Thompkins we were just going in." He said as he moved Devon to the side so that the shopkeeper could leave.

"I wanted to talk to Devon for a minute if I could."

"Why?" Jimmy asked defensively.

"I'd like to apologize for my behavior towards her and Lily. I'm not sure what came over me." Thompkins said timidly.

"Fine you've said it, now excuse us." Buck said as he pulled Lily inside the restaurant, followed by Lou and Kid.

Thompkins stood staring at Devon, who was in turn looking down at the ground. "I truly am sorry Devon."

Devon nodded silently, and Thompkins walked away to his store. As soon as the older man had gone Jimmy turned Devon in his arms and hugged her tightly.

"It's gonna be okay it's just gonna take some time." He whispered into her hair.

"I have never been scared of anything, but I am so scared of him Jimmy." Devon mumbled against his chest.

"You don't need to be scared as long as I'm around." He said and hugged her tighter.

Devon pulled away slightly and looked up into his brown eyes, "What would I do without you?"

"Hide under your bed." He answered and kissed her forehead gently.

Lou had witnessed the tender scene, and something tugged at her heart to see Jimmy share this part of him with Devon. She admitted to herself that she was a little jealous.

Devon spotted Lou from the corner of her eye, and looked up at Jimmy lovingly. "We've got company." She whispered.

Jimmy looked over and caught Lou staring at them with an odd expression on her face.

"We were wondering if everything was okay." Lou said shyly.

Devon pulled away from Jimmy and hooked an arm around his waist. "Fine, we were just coming in."

"Are you sure?" Jimmy asked.

"Yep. Let's go."

No one mentioned the incident with Thompkins during lunch. Instead, to break up the silence that had befallen the table Lily mentioned a dance the town was throwing the following Saturday.

"There's a dance?" Devon's violet eyes lit up.

"It's the Founder's Day dance, they have it every year." Kid answered.

"Aren't you going?" Lily asked.

"I don't know." Devon said as she looked at Jimmy.

"You mean Jimmy hasn't asked you?" Lou said. She knew it sounded petty but for some reason she didn't like the idea of Jimmy and Devon together.

Devon wasn't the only one who heard the jealousy in the young woman's remark, Lily arched an eyebrow at her friend.

Devon smiled sweetly, "Well no. Jimmy and I had other plans for Saturday that don't involve large groups of people." Hah take that. Devon thought as she looked around the table.

Lou was stunned and stared into her plate, Jimmy's eyes were wide, and Buck's mouth was open; his spoon was suspended between his plate and mouth, Lily looked from one woman to the other and Kid was smiling knowingly at Jimmy.

"Besides," Devon said as she grabbed her glass of lemonade, "I don't have a thing to wear to a dance."

"Well Lou and I were going over to the dressmaker's shop after lunch, you're welcome to join us." Lily said.

Devon's eyebrows shot up in surprise at the invitation, and Lou gave Lily a look full of daggers.

"I'd like that. That is if Jimmy wants to go to the dance and forget our plans." Devon said when she found her voice.

The table stared at Jimmy, who had planned to watch Devon perform a ritual that night.

"What about our plans?" He asked.

"We can do it after the dance or even on Sunday night."

"Then it's settled." Lily said. "You'll come shopping with us."

Lunch ended shortly after that and the group walked into the Marshal's office where the boys would be spending most of the afternoon. Buck pulled Lily into his arms and gave her a long kiss good-bye, as did Kid with Lou, as soon as he made sure no one was watching. Jimmy looked at Devon, who was staring at Buck through narrowed eyes. When Lou separated from Kid she noticed the two still standing next to each other, but it was Kid who commented on it.

"What no good-bye kiss for your lady Jimmy?"

Jimmy rolled his eyes at his friend and shrugged, "I might as well not start something I sure as hell can't finish." He said.

Devon smiled inwardly at the look of pure shock on everyone's faces. Out loud she said, "Jimmy, keep talking like that and you'll have Teaspoon marrying us off to protect my virtue."

"Wouldn't be so bad." He said and was surprised to learn he meant it.

"You are terrible." She said laughingly as she gave him a quick peck on the cheek, then turned to the two young woman, "Shall we?" Devon led the way out the door, with Lily and Lou following.

The three women were silent as they walked to the dressmaker. But once inside Lily couldn't help start the discussion. She had to know how Devon could be in love with Buck one minute and Jimmy the next.

"Soooo, you and Jimmy are pretty close huh?" Lily asked as she fingered a taffeta dress.

Devon looked up and smiled brightly. "Yep."

"So when exactly did you realize that you wanted to get to know him better?" Lily asked innocently.

"I don't know, but when Buck told me he loved you and left me alone with Jimmy, I realized I shouldn't waste my time on something that could never be when I had something that could be better in front of me." Devon answered. "Jimmy was there for me and our friendship grew into something special."

Lou stood by the two listening quietly.

"I can't imagine Jimmy being the romantic type." Lily said.

"He's not." Devon stood by Lou and motioned Lily to join them before she continued. "Jimmy is not romantic, not like Buck or Kid is. Jimmy is . . . rough around the edges and a very sweet man. He's tender and funny, I really can't explain what attracted me to him it's just his . . . well . . .Jimmyness*." She smiled widely.

"Jimmyness?" Asked Lou.

"Yep, it's something only he has. You can keep your sweet men, hey I thought I wanted one, but there's something to be said for a man who keeps you guessing." Devon arched an eyebrow and smiled wickedly at her two friends.

Before anymore could be said Mrs. Richardson and her assistant approached the three and they began to make their selections for the dance.

 

Chapter 4

 

That Saturday night, Devon, Lou and Lily were getting ready for the Founder’s Day Dance in Rachel’s house. While Lou and Lily had decided upon two pre-made dresses, Devon and Mrs. Richardson had picked out fabric that Devon had spent a week making her own dress out of. Rachel and the three women were sitting in Rachel’s bedroom fixing their hair and makeup, while the boys waited with Teaspoon downstairs.

"Oh lord I forgot how wonderful it feels to be able to dress like a girl!" Lou exclaimed as she stood up and twirled around in her dress. She had bought a cream colored satin dress with dark green ribbon accents. Her hair hung in soft waves around her face, and she giggled loudly.

Lily walked over to Lou and stood behind her, her brown eyes gleaming. "You look beautiful Lou! Kid isn’t going to believe his eyes!" Lily had chosen a dark blue dress with tiny white rosettes embroidered in the material. Her long brown hair was pulled into a thick braid that hung down her back.

Devon snorted silently to herself as she suppressed a giggle. Oh Louise, pretty soon you won’t concern yourself with Kid, she thought to herself as she walked over to the mirror and smoothed her hair. She had piled her dark locks on top of her head in a mass of curly tumbles, with a few stray wisps framing her face.

"Devon!" Rachel exclaimed. "Why aren’t you dressed yet? We have to leave in a few minutes!"

Devon looked down at her camisole and petticoats and gasped. "Oh Rachel, I didn’t realize the time!" The truth was she wanted to make a dramatic entrance and didn’t want to give anyone a sneak peak at her dress. She had worked all week designing and sewing it, and she was very proud of her work.

Rachel smiled. "Well if you don’t hurry sweetie, you won’t be making it to the dance in time."

Lou smirked and whispered loudly enough for only Lily to hear. "What a shame."

"Lou!" Lily hissed as she playfully hit her arm.

Devon and Rachel turned towards the two girls, but it was Devon who spoke.

"Rachel, why don’t you, Lily and Lou go on downstairs. I’ll be just a few minutes."

Rachel nodded and smiled. "Alright. Ladies?" She asked as she raised and held out an arm for each of them.

When the three women had left the room, Devon walked over to the closet, where she had hung her dress. She slowly took it off the hanger and stepped into it. As she buttoned the bodice and smoothed the skirt, she took a deep breath and smiled confidently to herself. But what puzzled Devon was the tugging thought that she didn’t know who she wanted to impress more – Jimmy or Buck?

 

 

***********************************

 

"Aw Rachel, what’s takin’ her so long?" Cody whined as he impatiently paced the room.

"What’s your rush Cody?" Buck questioned.


"Melanie Anderson is gonna be waitin’ for me. I promised her the first dance!"

"Ahhh," Lou said as she laughed. "When Cody gets impatient, it usually has something to do with food or a pretty girl!"

Jimmy joined in the laughter, but it was cut short when he heard a movement on the stairs. He looked up to see a vision of absolute beauty descend the stairs in a fluid movement. It was as if time had stood still for a second, just long enough for Jimmy’s eyes to drink in the ethereal creature before his eyes.

Devon’s violet eyes glistened as she smiled and nervously smoothed her skirts. Her dress was made out of a rich burgundy colored velvet that accented the natural highlights in her hair. The bodice was very fitted, and the neckline was cut dangerously low enough to reveal the fullness of her bosom. The waist was cinched and showed off her hourglass figure, with the skirts falling dramatically to the floor.

Jimmy’s mouth hung open in disbelief. Was this the same Devon that he had seen only hours before? He knew that Devon was beautiful, you had to be blind not to notice that. But what he was witnessing now was more than just beauty.

Devon glanced around the room to take in the others’ reactions. She couldn’t help but notice that when she had first come down the stairs, Buck and Kid had been holding Lily and Lou’s hands, but now they seemed to have let go of them and taken a step closer to her. Lily’s pretty face was covered in a scowl, and if Lou’s face got any redder, Devon was sure that it would explode. Kid’s eyes were wide and he wore a silly little grin, while Buck’s eyes were glassed over and he wore a pained expression. It was Cody who finally broke the silence.

"My, my, my! If I don’t say, I think you are destined to be the belle of the ball tonight!" Cody said as he grinned. "May I have the first dance of the night?"

"Hey Cody?" Lou asked sarcastically as she turned towards him. "What happened to your promise to dance the first dance with Melanie Anderson?"

Cody’s brow furrowed and he opened his mouth to answer, but Jimmy cut him off.

"If I do remember correctly, Devon has promised the first dance to me." Jimmy said as he reached out his arm for Devon to accept, his eyes bright with happiness and a smile spreading from one ear to the other.

Devon walked forward and looped her arm through his, placing a demure kiss on his cheek, smiling up at him, her eyes shining. "That’s right, I did. And I am a woman of my word."

Buck cleared his throat, but it was Teaspoon who spoke up next.

"Well, I think if we hurry we’ll make it before the dance starts." He held out his arm for Rachel, who was going as his date for the night, and they walked out of the house. Everyone followed, leaving Jimmy and Devon to walk out last.

Before walking off the porch, Jimmy took Devon’s chin in his hand and stared deep into her nervous eyes. He slowly shook his head and smiled. "You look absolutely stunning." He told her, his breath warm on her face, sending shivers up and down her spine.

Devon smiled and giggled happily to herself, her stomach full of butterflies. She had never felt more alive in her life then she did at that moment in time, and she knew that it was all because of Jimmy. He had a way of making her feel like more than just a pretty face. In fact, he made her feel like the most desirable woman in the world. She thought back to her conversation with Lou and Lily in the dress shop, and knew that she had meant every word she said.

"I can't imagine Jimmy being the romantic type." Lily said.

"He's not." Devon stood by Lou and motioned Lily to join them before she continued. "Jimmy is not romantic, not like Buck or Kid is. Jimmy is . . . rough around the edges and a very sweet man. He's tender and funny, I really can't explain what attracted me to him it's just his . . . well . . .Jimmyness*." She smiled widely.

"Jimmyness?" Asked Lou.

"Yep, it's something only he has. You can keep your sweet men, hey I thought I wanted one, but there's something to be said for a man who keeps you guessing." Devon arched an eyebrow and smiled wickedly at her two friends.

Devon laughed out loud and Jimmy looked at her with a puzzled look on his face. Instead of answering his look, she stood up on her tiptoes and placed an impulsive kiss on his lips. This is going to be a very interesting night, she thought to herself as the butterflies returned to her stomach.

 

Chapter 5

 

Jimmy glanced down at Devon and watched her as she watched the crowd on the dance floor. He'd be the first to admit she looked incredible in the dress she wore, and he knew that every man at the dance had noticed, especially Buck. As Jimmy looked around at the men who were casting looks at his companion, he felt a surge of both pride and possessiveness and he put his arm around Devon's waist.

Jimmy knew what these men were thinking. He knew that these same men who had wanted to string her up almost two months ago, wouldn't hesitate to share their bed with her now. For one split second when he saw her, he entertained the thought of "Dancing" with her too, then he remembered she was helping him to get Lou give him a chance. Maybe, he thought, if this thing with Lou don't work out . . .

Devon looked up at that moment to find Jimmy staring at her intently. "Do you want to dance with me Jimmy?"

Jimmy's eyes widened, "What?"

"I said I think we should dance."

"No!" He said forcefully and Devon jumped slightly. Seeing this Jimmy continued more softly, "We're friends and Dancing could change that."

"How?"

Jimmy looked back into the crowd of dancers, "It just would."

Devon arched an eyebrow, "Okay, do you want to dance with Lou?"

"More than you know." He muttered.

"Then why don't you just go and do it?"

"I can't."

"Why not?"

Jimmy's sighed loudly, "Because she's Dancing with the Kid and he's probably the only man she'll ever Dance with."

Devon stared across the dance floor at the couple. "Jimmy, Lou is not dancing at all, she's standing by the punchbowl."

"I know." He said matter-of-factly.

Devon glanced at Jimmy to Lou then back again and shrugged. "Well I need to dance." Devon took two steps away but was stopped by Jimmy's hand on her arm.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"I'm going to ask Teaspoon if he'll dance with me."

"He's old enough to be your father."

"So?"

"Well I'm sure you could find someone younger to Dance with," Jimmy said, "you'd probably kill Teaspoon." He added quietly.

Devon looked out onto the dance floor again and saw Lily in Buck's arms. "Well I would ask Buck but he's dancing with Lily and I don't want to cut in."

"No one Dances as much as those two lately." Jimmy said dryly.

Devon was completely confused, "Jimmy . . ?"

"Hmm?"

"What are you talking about?"

Jimmy looked down at her as if she had gone crazy. "Dancing."

Devon was about to question him more, when she suddenly felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around and her entire body froze.

Thompkins.

"May I have this dance?" The storekeeper asked as his eyes ran the entire length of her body appreciatively.

Devon's eyes widened and she couldn't speak. She turned to Jimmy who immediately took charge of the situation.

"Listen Thompkins, you've made your apologies. Now why don't you leave us alone."

Thompkins' eyes never left Devon's bosom as he answered Jimmy. Devon felt for the first time as if she had made a terrible mistake wearing the dress.

"I just thought that Devon would like to take a whirl around the floor, after all this is a dance and you haven't taken her out all evening."

"Well I was just about to." Jimmy said as he took Devon's hand and gently led her to the dance floor. Instead of the country round he had been expecting, the band struck up a slow romantic ballad.

As the two began to dance, Jimmy felt the tension in Devon's body begin to recede slightly. He noticed that her gaze was on the area by the punchbowl. When he looked over he saw that Buck and Lily had joined Lou and Kid there.

"Have I said how beautiful you look tonight?" Jimmy whispered in her ear.

"I believe the word you used was stunning." She answered as she blushed prettily, "But thank you again. I thought Lily and Lou were going to faint when they saw me in it."

Jimmy couldn't resist the teasing words that came out of his mouth next, "Did you make it for me or Buck?"

Devon's eyebrows rose and she put on her most shocked expression, "I don't know what you mean." She said innocently.

"I mean, I'm sure you noticed the way his eyes practically fell out of his head when he saw you."

Devon smiled devilishly, "So did Kid's."

"And Teaspoon's"

The two laughed quietly together, Devon admitted to herself that it felt good to be held by Jimmy. It seemed he had the magic touch to calm her after a run in with Thompkins, or Buck and Lily.

"You know, you didn't really have to dance with me." She said quietly.

"What are you talking about?"

"Well, you did say that you didn't want to dance with me."

Jimmy's eyebrows furrowed, "When did I say that?"

"Right before Thompkins came over you said-" Devon began.

"Oh wait-" Jimmy interrupted as he pulled back slightly, "You were talking about dancing?"

"Yes, weren't you?"

Jimmy started to laugh loudly and soon heads began to turn. "No I wasn't talking about this kind of dancing."

"Well then, what were you talking about?"

Buck, Lily, Lou and Kid saw Jimmy lean in close and whisper in Devon's ear, saw Devon's eyes open suddenly and watched as the two began to laugh. Devon's melodic laugh was joined by Jimmy's deep one, and it seemed as if they belonged together. Buck remembered the promise Devon had made to laugh more often the night he regained his memories of their time together.

Both Lou and Buck's eyes held a glint of jealousy when they saw how the couple held on to each other as they laughed. The group was soon joined by Teaspoon, and Rachel.

"Well I would never have believed it , but I do believe Jimmy has fallen in love." Teaspoon said.

"They do make a nice couple, they bring out the best in each other." Rachel agreed.

Lou sighed loudly, "Excuse me, I'm going to sit down." She said as she walked away.

"What's gotten in to her?" Rachel asked.

"I don't know, but I'm going to find out." Kid said as he followed her.

 

Chapter 6

 

After the song was over Devon made her way to Lou and Kid. "I am so tired." She said as she fanned herself. "I never guessed that Jimmy was such a fine dancer." When she received no answer, Devon put her plan into action.

"I wonder." She said coquettishly, "Are all the boys in the Pony Express good dancers?"

Lou glared out towards the dance floor but Kid smiled shyly, Devon pounced.

"Lou, you don't mind if I take a turn with Kid here do you?" She asked innocently.

"I thought you said you were tired?" Lou couldn't keep the annoyance out of her voice.

"I must've gotten my second wind. Why don't you dance with Jimmy." She said as she grabbed Kid's hand and pulled him after her. Not wanting to cause a scene Kid followed and tossed Lou a small shrug.

Jimmy came over to Lou carrying two cups of punch a few moments later. He offered one to Lou, which she took, and drank his in one swallow.

"Having fun?" He asked, though from the look on her face he could tell she was upset about something, probably Kid related, he thought to himself.

"No." She grumbled as she glared at Devon.

"Why not?" He said as he followed her gaze and realized what it was, "It's one dance Lou."

"She could have any man she wants, especially in that dress." Lou whined. "Why is it, she goes after the one I had." Lou realized the slip she made too late.

"You mean have." Jimmy said.

She should've known that Jimmy would have caught it. "Right, that's what I meant."

"Don't tell me your jealous."

Lou looked at him with a denial on her lips, then changed her mind. "Of course I'm jealous, look at her!"

Jimmy looked at Devon, "Well she can certainly fill a dress." He said and chuckled.

"Jimmy! You see; I can't compete with her!"

Jimmy took Lou's hand in his, "You shouldn't have to compete, you're special in your own way."

"Then why hasn't anyone besides Kid asked me to dance?"

"Because you and Kid have been joined at the hip since you got here." Jimmy stood up and pulled Lou with him.

"What are you doin'?"

"I want to dance with you Louise."

The way that Jimmy's voice became thick as he said her full name made Lou's heart beat faster and she felt warmer. As they walked out onto the dance floor the band once again played a ballad. Jimmy saw Devon walking back towards the seats with Kid and she gave him a sly wink and smile before mouthing, go for it.

As Jimmy danced with Lou, Devon decided to sit a while with Kid.

"You're a good dancer." She said.

"Thanks." He answered, "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure, we're friends."

"How could you jump from Buck to Jimmy in six weeks?"

"Ahhh the question on everyone's minds," She shrugged, "When I realized there could never be anything between me and Buck, it was like my eyes opened and I saw Jimmy. I wasn't about to spend my life pining away for what I can't have, sometimes women settle for what we can have instead of what we really want."

"So you're just settling for Jimmy?"

Devon smiled, "Maybe at first, but not now. Well if you must know, I'll let you in on a secret." Devon turned to face him. "Every woman likes a man with a certain danger about him. It's good to know that he'll protect her. But with Jimmy it's more than that. He's got the danger around him but there's a certain vulnerability too that men like you and Buck don't have."

"Jimmy's not vulnerable." Kid wasn't sure if he believed her or not.

"Yes he is, it just seems that only women recognize it. It calls to us."

"All women?"

"Yes sir, all women, whether you’re eighteen or eighty and no matter what, it makes him irresistible."

Kid glanced out onto the dance floor and saw Lou's bright eyes and broad smile as Jimmy spun her around, suddenly he felt as if his relationship with Lou was once again threatened. As Kid looked at Lou, Devon smiled and knew she should be congratulating herself on a job well done, but then why did she suddenly feel as if she didn't want to let go of Jimmy.

 

Chapter 7

 

It was Devon’s turn to dance with Jimmy again, and as he gracefully swung her around the room, she felt like a fairytale princess. She hadn’t had a thing to drink, yet her whole body felt light and bubbly as she threw back her head and let out a squeal of joy. Much to Devon’s dismay, the song eventually ended, and the band began to play a slow, romantic ballad. She expected Jimmy to thank her for the dance, and to ask Lou for the next one, but instead he looked down at her and smiled at her, the corners of his eyes crinkling, his mouth in a crooked grin.

Devon cocked her head to the side and looked up at time, trying to figure out why he was grinning. "James Hickok, what in the world are you smiling at?"

Jimmy just gave a little chuckle and shrugged his shoulders. "You."

Devon’s eyes widened slightly as she felt a warm tingle spread through her body. "Me? What, did I make a fool out of myself? Am I a bad dancer?" As those last words left her lips, she blushed deeply, remembering how Jimmy defined the word "dance."

Jimmy shook his head slightly and pulled her closer to him, swaying perfectly in time with the music. "No, you’re a wonderful dancer, it’s not that."

Devon wrinkled her brow in confusion. "Then what is it? What is going through that head of yours?"

Jimmy leaned in close, his warm breath dancing across her face. "You," he whispered as he gently brushed her lips with his own.

Devon closed her eyes and accepted his kiss, snuggling deeper into his arms, not wanting the moment to end.

"Devon?"

It was Jimmy’s voice calling her name, but that was impossible. He’s still kissing me, she thought to herself. I can feel his lips on mine, his arms around me. She finally opened her eyes to see who was calling her name, and was met with the harsh rays of the morning sun.

"What the hell?!?" Devon exclaimed as she sat upright in her bed. She glanced quickly around the room and was saddened to see her dress from last night draped over her desk chair. She let out a loud sigh and flopped down on her back, closed her eyes, and pounded the mattress with her fists as she let out a groan of unhappiness. "A dream! That was all a stupid dream!"

But what upset Devon wasn’t that she had the dream. What upset her was that she desperately wanted the dream to have happened for real.

"Devon! Are you there?" Jimmy called again.

Devon’s eyes snapped open and she sat up again. "Ohmigod! It really was Jimmy’s voice I heard in the dream! Only, it wasn’t a dream… he’s outside right now!" Devon rambled on to herself as she walked over to her mirror and let out a shriek. "Oh no!" She moaned as she took in her appearance. She had been too tired after the dance to wash off her makeup, so she now held a close resemblance to a raccoon, with a bird’s nest for hair.

"Devon, if you don’t open up right now I am going to break your door down!" Jimmy yelled as he banged on her front door again.

Devon hurried over to her window, taking great care to remain out of sight. "Jimmy, I’m okay, don’t worry!" She called down to him.

Jimmy glanced up at her window, but couldn’t see her. "Devon, what’s going on? I’ve been callin’ you for ten minutes!"

Devon thought quickly. "I’m sorry Jimmy, I forgot to tell you that one of my worst traits is that I sleep like a rock. I was near unconscious, and didn’t hear you."

"Well, aren’t you gonna let me in?"

"No!"

"No?"

"No." Devon scrunched up her face and scratched her head. "Umm… I’m not wearing any clothes right now… I was just about to take a quick bath!"

"A bath?" Jimmy asked.

"Yes James, a bath. You know, what you do when you want to clean yourself." Devon giggled silently.

"But Devon," Jimmy started to say, the confusion evident in his voice. "I thought you just said that you were sleeping."

"I was." Devon crossed her fingers and prayed that Jimmy wouldn’t ask anymore questions. "Now be patient while I get dressed, and I’ll be down in a few minutes."

"Uh, okay." Jimmy answered. "Women." He muttered to himself as he walked over to sit on the porch swing to wait.

 

*************************************

 

Fifteen minutes later, when Devon was satisfied that she looked semi-human, she decided that it was time to go downstairs. She had made up her mind that it was time to come clean to Jimmy. For the past couple of days, she had been feeling differently about Jimmy, and her dream only confirmed her beliefs – she was in love with Jimmy Hickok. All those times that she had gushed to Lou and Lily weren’t acts. She realized that she had been speaking from her heart all along.

Devon finished lacing up her boot and took a deep breath as she stood up and smoothed out her skirt. She had never been more nervous in her life. Not even when she told Buck that she loved him. She walked over to her mirror and started back at her reflection.

"Well girl, this is it. Wish me luck." Devon shuddered with anticipation as she turned to walk out of the room.

 

 

*************************************

Jimmy had closed his eyes and was leaning his head back to catch the warm rays of sun on his face. As Devon opened the door, her breath caught in her throat. He looked so handsome sitting there, the sun catching the golden highlights in his dark hair, his masculinity radiating brighter than the sun in the sky. She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn’t realize that Jimmy had opened his eyes and was watching her intently.

"Penny for your thoughts?" He asked her smiling.

Devon’s eyes fluttered and she snapped out of her daydream, a faint blush spreading across her cheeks in embarrassment. "Believe me, there aren’t enough pennies in the world for these thoughts!"

Jimmy laughed and stood up. "So? Can I come in now?"

Devon opened the door wider and bent over in a mock bow, sweeping her hand out. "Right this was sir," she said with a wink. As Jimmy walked through the doorway, Devon caught sight of a figure hiding behind her bush. "Jimmy, I’ll be right there. I just have to check on something." She called inside. As she walked down the steps, she called out to the figure in the bush.

"Dennis? Is that you sweetheart?"

A little red head peaked up from the bush and an impish grin spread across his freckled face. "Y-E-S."

Devon smiled. "What are you doing hiding?"

Dennis nodded his head towards the house and frowned. "H-E-D-O-E-S-N-T-L-I-K-E-M-E-A-N-D-I-W-A-N-T-E-D-T-O-S-E-E-Y-O-U."

"Now Dennis, you know that’s not true, right?" Devon knelt down next to Dennis. "Jimmy likes you honey, he just doesn’t understand you."

Dennis’ face lit up. "R-E-A-L-L-Y? J-I-M-M-Y-L-I-K-E-S-M-E?"

Devon nodded. "He sure does. It’s just that Jimmy ain’t the best speller in the world, so it’s hard for him to understand you."

Dennis grinned happily. "Y-O-U-L-O-V-E-H-I-M, D-O-N-T-Y-O-U?"

Devon’s eyes widened. "How do you know? Is it that obvious?"

Dennis’ smile disappeared, and his face turned serious. "T-H-E-R-E-I-S-N-T-M-U-C-H-T-I-M-E. T-E-L-L-H-I-M."

Devon’s brow furrowed as Dennis got up and began to skip away. "Dennis! Wait, what do you mean?" But it was too late. Dennis had already disappeared.

"Devon?" Jimmy appeared in Devon’s doorway. "Is everything okay?"

Devon turned around. This is it, she told herself. It’s now or never. "Everything’s fine. But I need to tell-"

"Good!" Jimmy cut her off, grinning widely. "Now we can finally talk about Lou!"

"Lou?" Devon asked weakly, her heart crushing beneath her chest.

Jimmy nodded excitedly. "Yes! After I dropped you off last night, Lou was waiting up for me back at the bunkhouse."

Devon’s shoulders began to sag, and her head hung low. "She was?"

"Yup! We had a long talk in the barn about what happened at the dance, as well as what was going on between the two of us."

Devon’s face brightened slightly. "You and me?"

Jimmy shook his head, and Devon’s hope deflated like a popped balloon. "No, me and Lou! She finally admitted to me that she’s had feelings for me all along. She told me that I was – wait! Let me get this right, she said that "Kid was a sweet man, and she thought that’s what she wanted, but there's something to be said for a man who keeps you guessing"! And that ‘rough around the edges’ kinda guy is me!"

Devon flinched as her own words were used against her. "Oh. So, I um, guess that um, you and her, are er, a c-couple now?" Devon stammered, her heart being torn to pieces. It just isn’t fair! She thought to herself. First I lose Buck to Lily, now Lou steals Jimmy away from me!

Jimmy bit his lip. "Well, not quite. I mean, she hasn’t said anything to the Kid yet, but at least I know that I have a chance after all." He turned to Devon and wrapped his arms around her in a tight bear hug. "And it’s all thanks to you Devon!"

Devon couldn’t move, she just stood still white Jimmy hugged her, until he let go and smiled at her. "Me?"

Jimmy nodded. "Yes! It was your idea to try and get Lou to notice me, and it worked!"

"Oh yeah," Devon practically whispered.

"Devon, you are the best friend a guy could ever wish for! I don’t know what I would have done without you!" Jimmy smiled happily. Suddenly his expression turned serious. "Devon? Are you okay? You look white as a ghost!"

Devon smiled weakly. "You know, I think I may have had a bit too much wine last night, I’m actually feeling pretty sick right now."

"Do you want me to bring you inside? Do you want me to get you anything? I’m sure in that garden of yours you have something that could help you." Jimmy asked, concerned.

Devon sighed. "No Jimmy, there’s nothing that can help me."

"Are you sure? Maybe I could-"

"Jimmy, I think I just want to be alone, okay?" Devon cut him off.

Jimmy’s face fell, and he wore a pained expression. "Oh. Okay, I guess I’ll let you be then."

No, stupid girl! What are you doing? Don’t let him leave! Devon yelled silently to herself. But she just watched as Jimmy walked over to his horse, mounted, and rode away quickly. Devon moaned and walked inside, shutting the door behind her. She walked over to the sofa and collapsed weakly. The next thing she knew she was crying heartbreaking sobs, and couldn’t stop, no matter how hard she tried. Finally she just gave in to the tears, and cried as if her whole existence was ending.

 

Chapter 8

 

Devon sighed as she sat at her kitchen table and wiped her tears. She supposed she had began falling for Jimmy the night he confided the truth about his feelings for Lou to her, and had been growing in intensity ever since. Everything she had been saying to Lou, Lily and Kid had been the truth, those words expressed exactly how she felt about Jimmy, and now she was going to lose him to Lou, just as she had lost Buck to Lily. And just like what happened with Buck, all Devon wanted was for Jimmy to be happy, even if it meant giving him up.

"When will I learn?" Devon muttered to herself. "At this rate I'll be an old spinster living alone with twenty-five cats."

Suddenly there as a loud insistent knocking at the front door that made Devon jump. She thought perhaps, Jimmy had come back to tell her he loved her too. But she knew Jimmy's knock, and this one wasn't it. Devon ran to her bedroom and grabbed the pistol Jimmy had given her for protection four weeks earlier. She couldn't shoot straight, but whoever was on the other side of the door didn't know that.

Devon cocked the gun, "Who's there?"

"Devon, it's me Kid."

Devon uncocked the gun and exhaled loudly as she opened the door, "Kid, what are you doing here?"

Kid entered her house and went straight into her family room, where he crumpled into a chair. It was then that he noticed the gun in Devon's hand.

"Are you still worried about folks around here?"

"Well you never can be too careful, you never really know especially with the folks in this town." Devon said as she sat on her small sofa, putting the gun on a small table to her left.

"You're right, you never know who'll stab you in the back." Kid said harshly.

Devon's eyebrows rose slightly, she didn't like how this conversation was starting out. "What's this about Kid?"

"Lou."

Devon was caught off guard, and wasn't quite sure what to say. "Er. . . Kid. Lou and I aren't exactly the best of friends. Maybe you should be talking to Lily."

"No, I want to talk to you. Devon, you'll tell me the truth. Lily and the others will just try to tell me what I want to hear, or they'll tell me I'm imagining things."

"Okay, so what's wrong?" She asked as if she didn't know.

"Well, Lou's been distant the last couple of days, and I was hoping maybe you'd know why." Kid began.

Devon shrugged, "I really can't imagine why. Have you two been having problems lately?"

Kid stared at the floor, "Not really, actually it started right after you and Jimmy started spending all your free time together."

"Do you think she's been distant because of me?"

"I think Lou's jealous of you and the time you spend with Jimmy."

"Oh." Devon was becoming uncomfortable talking about this with Kid, it was a little too strange for her. Here he was telling her he was worried that her non-relationship with Jimmy was tearing Lou away from him, and after all wasn't that the plan?

"It's more than that, after what you said to me at the dance. I've been thinking about me and how I compare to Jimmy."

"There is no comparing you two. You're as different as night and day, and Lou knows that."

Kid looked up at her the pain and confusion in his eyes. "So why do I feel like I'm losing her? What am I doing wrong?"

"Truth?"

"Yes please."

Devon took a deep breath, she knew that by helping Kid she might have a second chance with Jimmy. In this one moment she chose to stop playing games with other people's destiny and live her life for the happiness of one person, herself.

"Well the truth is Kid, you're too sweet and kind and always trying to do the right thing. You're like a puppy I once had, and you're a little over-protective of Lou, it seems like you're stifling her. You're not letting her be the woman she wants to be. Jimmy on the other hand, let's Lou be who she is, he allows her to make mistakes because he knows that he'll be there to help her out. I think if you were a little like that maybe Lou wouldn't have to turn to Jimmy to make her feel good about the person she is." Once Devon opened her mouth the words seemed to tumble out on their own.

Kid got up and walked to her mantle in silence. Devon began to get worried when he didn't speak for several minutes. Finally Kid exhaled sharply.

"Is that how you see me? Like a puppy?"

"Well maybe that wasn't the best way to put it, but you are a little soft. Not that it's bad, some women like a good soft man." Devon said quickly, wishing that she had thought about what she was going to say before she had opened her mouth.

"But most women like a man who's a little ‘rough around the edges’, right?" Kid was upset and Devon could hear it in his voice and once again her exact words came back to haunt her.

"Some do, that is . . . well . . . I do."

"And obviously so does Lou." Kid turned towards the door. Devon followed him quickly.

"Kid where are you going?"

"Me and Lou have to get this out in the open."

"Wait Kid don't go, you're upset and it's not going to help." Devon begged, "Why don't you stay here for lunch."

Kid turned to her, "I think you should come with me, after all Jimmy is sneaking Lou out from under me and it affects you too."

"Oh Kid you're wrong." Devon had to come up with a plan and quick, "Jimmy is not in love with Lou, he loves me."

Kid walked up to her and cupped her cheek in his palm, "You are so wrong Devon. Jimmy's been in love with Lou for a long time, he's just been waiting for a chance." He said to her condescendingly. "If Lou gives him the slightest push, he'd drop you in a minute."

Devon's eyes opened widely, there was nothing more she could say. She would have to go to the waystation with Kid and hope that there was no blood shed. Why, she thought, why did I have to start this whole thing in the first place. Me and my great ideas.

 

Chapter 9

 

Devon and Kid arrived at the waystation twenty minutes later. Kid was determined to find Lou and confront her about her feelings towards him and ask her how she really felt about Jimmy. As Devon hitched her horse, she saw Cody walking out of the bunkhouse.

"Cody!" Kid called. "Is Lou here?"

Cody glanced from Kid to Devon and then nodded. "Yeah, she’s in the barn."

Kid rushed off towards the barn, with Devon on his heels. "Lou! Lou, you in there?" Kid yelled.

Lou walked out from behind a bale of hay and wiped the sweat from her brow. "Kid! What is it?" She asked, surprised to see him so upset.

Kid took a deep breath. "Lou, I need to ask you something, and I need for you to be totally honest with me."

"Okay," Lou said cautiously. "What do you want to ask me?"

Kid walked over to her and looked her straight in the eyes. "Do you love me or Jimmy?"

Lou’s eyes widened and her mouth hung open for a second before pure anger filled her brown eyes. "Kid! Oh Lord, not again. How many times must we go through this! I swear if you aren’t the most over-"

"Over-protective puppy dog?" Kid asked mockingly. "Is that what you were going to say?"

"Kid, what on earth has gotten into you?" Lou asked, truly upset..

"Just answer the damn question Lou. Is that how you see me?" Kid asked, his voice thick with fury.

"Leave her alone." A voice echoed from behind Kid.

"Stay outta this Jimmy. This don’t concern you." Kid answered.

"Like hell it don’t." Jimmy replied as he walked forward and placed himself between Kid and Lou. "Now, I don’t know how they do things back in Virginia, but here you treat a lady with respect."

Kid laughed a loud, cynical laugh. "Respect? Oh that’s real funny comin’ from you Jimmy, considering you don’t know the first thing about respect!"

Jimmy’s eyes hardened as he clenched his fists. "What the hell do you mean by that Kid?"

Kid walked up so that his face was but an inch from Jimmy’s. "How can a man with any decency and respect go after his ‘best friend’s’ girl?"

Jimmy smirked at Kid. "Maybe because his ‘best friend’s’ girl wanted a real man and made the first move."

Kid’s face turned red as he lunged at Jimmy. "Why you lyin’ son-of-a-" Kid’s last words were cut off as he landed on top of Jimmy, punching and rolling around on the barn floor.

"Jimmy! Kid! Stop it, the both of ya!" Lou screamed.

"Kid, I don’t know what’s gotten in to you, but I suggest you get rid of it real fast before you get hurt bad!" Jimmy yelled as he rolled on top of Kid, who was fiercely trying to gain the upper hand again.

"That’s just like you Jimmy, always thinking you can just do as you like, without thinking ‘bout anybody else!" Kid yelled back as he finally managed to roll out from under Jimmy.

Suddenly there was a noise at the door, and Lou turned to see Buck and Lily running in. Lily ran over to Lou’s side, while Buck tried to pull Jimmy and Kid apart.

"Kid, Hickok, cut it out!" Buck cried as he grabbed hold of Jimmy’s collar.

Jimmy turned around and glared at Buck. "Stay outta this Buck."

"What in the hell has gotten into you?" Buck asked, trying to catch his breath.

Jimmy licked his lower lip and tasted blood. "Look, this don’t involve you no more, y’hear? This here is between the Kid and me." Jimmy shrugged off Buck’s hand, and turned away. "Besides, you already proved you’re not man enough for Devon, so what makes you think you can handle this fight?"

Buck’s eyes narrowed, and his eyes took on a cold stare. "What did you just say?" He asked as he lunged for Jimmy, throwing him to the floor. Buck was just about to swing at Jimmy again, when Kid ran forward and tried to pull Buck off of Jimmy

"This is my fight Buck, not yours!" Kid yelled.

"Enough!" A voice boomed from the doorway. All three men looked up to see Teaspoon walking forward, an angry look on his face. "Would someone like to explain to me what’s going on?"

Kid stood up and glared at Jimmy before running out of the barn. Buck brushed the hay from his pants and turned to walk away. Lily reached out to him, but he brushed her arm away and stormed out of the barn. Teaspoon was left staring at Jimmy, who just shrugged.

"Teaspoon, I can honestly tell ya, I have no idea what started that whole thing." He told the old man.

Teaspoon turned towards Lou. "Lou? You wanna tell me what happened?"

Lou looked from Teaspoon to Jimmy, and then broke down in tears. Lily wrapped her arms around Lou, and then raised a questioning eyebrow at Jimmy, who just shrugged again.

 

 

************************************

 

Devon stood outside of the barn and watched the entire scene with disbelieving eyes. She couldn’t believe what was happening, and was just about to run in there when Teaspoon showed up. She waited to see what happened, and practically had to duck out of the way to avoid being run over, first by Kid, and then by Buck. She was torn between who to go after, but she finally decided and ran after him.

"Buck! Buck, wait up!" Devon called, as she ran to catch up with him.

Buck finally stopped in front of the water trough, and turned around to face Devon. "I don’t wanna talk."

Devon took in Buck’s appearance, and her heart felt like it was going to break. He had a nasty cut above his left eye, and a purple bruise was beginning to form under his eye. Without thinking twice, Devon ripped off part of the hem of her petticoat, soaked it in the water, and motioned for Buck to sit down. He finally gave in, and she sat next to him, dabbing gently at the cut with the wet material. Buck flinched, but Devon soothed him with her voice. When she was done, Buck looked up at her with pain in his eyes.

"How can you be so nice to me?" He asked her.

Devon tilted her head to the side and smiled. "Why would I have any reason not to be?"

Buck looked down and frowned. "Because I’ve been a total jerk to you, that’s why."

Devon shook her head. "No Buck, stop thinking that."

Buck looked up, his expression serious. "No Devon, I have to say this."

"Okay, then go on." Devon nodded.

"When you first came to town claiming to be my wife, I thought that you were crazy. Then when I found out that you weren’t lying and I remembered our life together, I have to admit that there was a part of me that wanted that life back." Buck swallowed back tears and continued. "I did a lot of thinking, and I really believed that Lily was the one I wanted to be with, and that’s when I made my decision."

"To be with her." Devon answered for him.

Buck nodded. "Right. But then when you got shot, I felt like something was not right. The pain I felt at almost losing you again was almost too much for me to bear."

Devon smiled. "But I’m here. I didn’t die." Devon’s face darkened slightly as she spoke her next words. "And now you have Lily, and the two of you are happy."

"I can’t deny that I am happy." Buck looked into her eyes, his own full of sadness. "But I also can’t deny the fact that you are unhappy because of me." Buck told her, his dark eyes welling up with tears.

Devon reached over and gently wiped the tears away. "Buck…" she started to say to him, but was cut off by Buck’s gentle lips on her own, smothering her words. Devon wrapped her arms around his neck, and Buck ran his fingers through her thick curls as the two of them shared a deep, soulful kiss. It seemed to last an eternity, but when they finally pulled away from each other, Devon knew that was truly the last time she would ever share a romantic moment with this man.

Buck’s eyes softened as he caressed her cheek. "I know that your heart truly belongs to Jimmy now." Devon’s eyes widened with surprise at Buck’s insight. "But I don’t ever want you to forget that there is a part of me that will always love you like I love no other."

Devon’s eyes glistened with fresh tears. "As I will always love you Buck."

Buck pulled her into a gentle hug before standing, and helping her to her feet. They started to walk back towards the barn when Devon suddenly stopped and turned to face Buck. "Just one question. How did you know about me and Jimmy?"

Buck smiled painfully. "Because there once was a time when you looked at me the way you now look at him."

 

Chapter 10

 

Several days had past since "The Fight", as it had been christened by those in it, and the tension around the waystation was thick. Devon had not been seen since that afternoon, and no one mentioned her. Lily had seen the innocent hug that Buck and Devon shared and though Buck tried to explain, she never wanted to see or hear Devon's name again. Lou had agreed with her friend and where as Devon was tolerated before, the two young women made it known that she would not be ever again. Enough was enough for them, they had blamed the entire incident on Devon and were quite happy when she had disappeared from their lives.

Meal times were the worst. Whenever it was time to eat, one or more of the parties involved made excuses. It was either they had just eaten and weren't hungry or they had other plans. However when Rachel did manage to get the entire group together for a meal it was usually eaten quickly and silently. Kid was never where Lou or Jimmy was, and Buck stayed away from Jimmy as well.

A few days after the fight, Jimmy found Lou in the barn. She had just returned from a run and was cooling Lightning off.

"Hey there," He said with a smile.

Lou rewarded him with a small smile as well, "Hey there yourself."

"Lou, can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

Jimmy took his hat off and gripped it tightly in his hands. "I was uh . . . hoping that you . . . that is that you and I . . ." Jimmy stammered, shuffling his feet nervously.

Lou grinned broadly at the fact that Jimmy was stammering like a schoolboy. "Spit it out Jimmy."

Jimmy had never been so nervous in his life. "I was hoping you and I could go to dinner tonight." There he had said it. He had waited three days and now it was finally out of his mouth.

Lou, who had been brushing Lightning, stopped mid-stroke. "You want to take me into town for dinner?" Lou knew that by accepting his invitation she would be announcing to everyone that they were now courting.

"No, not into town. I had other plans." Jimmy smiled as he recalled the time Devon had told him of the most romantic dinner she'd ever had. It was in her other lifetime with Red Eagle, but if she could still recall it with such clarity it must have been special. Jimmy thought if it had that effect on Devon, surely Lou would have the same reaction. It was then that Jimmy realized he hadn't thought of Devon in the last few days, let alone speak to her. He made a note to make some time to go and see how she was doing.

Jimmy came out of his revelry and realized Lou still hadn't given him an answer. "Well?"

The more Lou thought about it, the more the idea appealed to her. This was what she wanted, a chance to be with Jimmy Hickok. "Okay." She said happily.

Jimmy gave her a smile that melted her heart. He walked up to her and caressed her check with his palm. "Just one request." He said huskily.

"What's that?" Lou asked.

"Wear the dress you had on at the dance." He leaned over and placed a small kiss on her cheek, "Oh yeah, and welcome home." He whispered in her ear.

Lou watched as he turned and left the barn. Jimmy had a way of making her feel special, her insides were tingly and she suddenly felt warm. She didn't realize she was smiling.

Kid entered the barn after seeing Jimmy leave. He didn't expect to find Lou in there, but by the flush on her skin and the way her eyes glowed he could only guess what the two of them were up to. His heart twisted when he remembered that she used to look like that when he was around her. He must have made a sound because Lou suddenly realized he was there and her smile faded.

Kid walked past her into Katy's stall where he quickly saddled his mare and then without a word, or backwards glance to his lost love, left the barn. Lou watched his retreating back and felt a stab of guilt. She hated the fact that they were not speaking, and made a promise to herself to try to salvage some of her lost friendship with Kid.

Lou sighed and out of the corner of her eye, saw as Lily rode up to the bunkhouse, she knew her friend and Buck were working things out slowly. Lou smiled, she knew she could count on Lily to help her get ready for her first official date with Jimmy.

 

****************************

Jimmy picked Lou up from Lily's at 5:30 that night. Lou spied the picnic basket and asked where they were going to have a picnic, but Jimmy wouldn't tell. A half-hour later, the two rode onto a clearing and Lou's eyes opened wide in astonishment. In the clearing there was a creek, a small grove of trees and an open pasture completely covered in wildflowers. Lou had to admit the combination of sweet smelling flowers and the soft gurgling of the creek made this a very romantic spot.

"Oh Jimmy," She sighed, "This is beautiful."

"You like it?" He asked.

"I love it, how'd you find this place?"

Jimmy's smile was wide, "I found it one day while I was out riding." He said, the truth was he and Devon had found this spot together. It was here she told him of her picnic, but he wouldn't tell Lou that.

"Now just sit here while I set the picnic up." Jimmy said as he sat her on a rock by the creek.

Lou looked around the meadow, and sighed contentedly as she watched Jimmy work in the soft glow of the setting sun. The last thing he pulled out were two candles which he placed close enough to the blanket so they could see each other but not close enough to burn anything should they fall. When he was done he bowed to Lou. "You're dinner is served."

Lou stood and curtseyed, she liked this silly side of Jimmy. She sat on the blanket and looked at the small feast Jimmy had bought from the town's restaurant. "Jimmy you really didn't have to go through all this trouble for me."

"It was no trouble." Jimmy said as he poured two glasses of wine, and handed one to Lou, "I'd do anything for you Lou, you deserve the best."

Lou blushed prettily and sipped her wine.

The conversation during dinner went from being serious to silly and the couple had a wonderful time. However, they both were a little reserved, neither of them mentioning Kid or Devon, though both wanted to. While eating dessert, Lou finally broached the subject.

"Do you feel guilty?" She asked.

"About what?"

"How you dropped Devon like a sack of flour for me." Lou tried but could not hold back a triumphant smile.

Jimmy put his plate down, lied back on the blanket and stared up at the stars. "No, me and Devon weren't that close."

"Could've fooled me." Was the sarcastic remark.

Jimmy smiled, he loved the fact that Lou was jealous of Devon. "Our relationship is hard to describe." He propped up onto on elbow and stared up at Lou, "Believe me when I tell you that Devon understands, and there are no hard feelings." Lou nodded. "Do you feel guilty about Kid."

Lou was expecting the question, and she had been thinking of an answer throughout dinner. She put her half eaten pie to the side and laid on her stomach next to Jimmy. "No, not guilty. I just feel bad that this happened this way. We said a lot of things that hurt each other, and I just wish that it could've been different is all."

Jimmy reached out, and played with a lock of her hair. "Me too." He said softly.

"This is all her fault, if Devon had never come into our lives, we'd all be happy and still be friends." Lou said.

"And we wouldn't be here." Jimmy pointed out.

"Well I guess she was good for something." Lou said.

Lou looked over at him and noticed his eyes were fixated on her mouth. Her insides did a little dance and she began to get warm. She knew it had nothing to do with the wine she had consumed. Unconsciously she licked her lips, and Jimmy let out a low moan. He cupped his hand around her slender neck and pushed her head down to his. Lou never fought it. Their lips met and Lou now knew what Devon meant about Jimmyness, it was all in his kiss. It was tender yet demanding, innocent and seductive all in one. She felt as if she had found a piece of heaven in his arms. When Lou responded to his kiss, Jimmy had finally felt as if he had found the part of him that was missing. This, he thought, is heaven.

The couple was so absorbed in each other, that neither noticed the figure of a lone woman standing by the grove of trees. Devon had been coming here to think ever since she and Jimmy had found this small piece of paradise, she had considered it their special place. Never did she ever expect to find him here having a moonlit picnic with Lou. When they kissed, Devon's stomach tightened. Numbly she turned and walked back towards her home, her tears falling silently.

 

Chapter 11

 

Devon had just finished boiling a pot of water for tea when she heard a knock at her door. Several days had passed since she had seen Jimmy and Lou at the creek, and she had stayed away from town for fear of running into either one of them. She should have known that sooner or later someone was going to come looking for her to see where she had been. Devon walked over to the window that looked onto the porch and her heart did a little flip-flop when she saw the figure standing outside. She opened the door and stared straight into the eyes of the man she knew she had lost forever.

"Hello Jimmy," she said in a monotonous tone.

Jimmy’s eyes lit up and he looked like a child on Christmas morning. "Hey Dev! I hadn’t seen much of you these past coupla days, so I figured I’d come down and make sure you were alright."

Devon managed a weak smile. "Thanks, I appreciate the thought. I’m fine."

Jimmy grinned. "Good, I was beginnin’ to worry about you." Jimmy started to walk forward, but Devon blocked his path. "Is something wrong?"

Devon raised an eyebrow and shook her head. "Wrong? No, why would you ask?"

"You’re just actin’ weird, that’s all." Jimmy answered.

"Jimmy, I’m acting just fine. Now like I said, I appreciate the fact that you came by to see me, but if you’ll excuse me I have some chores to attend to." Devon hated the cool tone that her voice took on, and hated the hurt expression that crossed Jimmy’s face even more.

"Well, okay, I guess I’ll be goin’ then." Jimmy turned to walk away, but stopped himself before taking a step forward. "Hey Devon?" He asked as he turned back towards the house.

"Yes?"

"You just seem so distant. Are you avoiding town?"

Devon’s eyes widened in mock shock and she gasped sarcastically. "Me? Avoid town? Now what reason would I have to avoid town?" Jimmy started to open his mouth, but Devon cut him off. "Just because the whole town was ready to hang me a few weeks ago and the man who killed me in my last life seems to be followin’ me everywhere I go? How about the fact that the man I love is in love with another woman? Now, tell me Jimmy, what reason in hell would I have for avoiding town?"

Jimmy’s mouth hung open, and his eyes were full of pain. "But Devon-"

"No. Jimmy, I’m done talking. Would you please excuse me now?" Devon turned around and fought with all her might to keep the tears that threatened to fall from overflowing. She couldn’t tell Jimmy that she wasn’t avoiding town, she was avoiding him.

Jimmy stomped his foot in frustration. "Dammit Devon!"

"What?" Devon asked, her back still turned on Jimmy.

"What about me?" Jimmy practically pleaded.

Devon couldn’t stand it anymore. The tears now ran freely down her cheeks, but she refused to let Jimmy see her cry. She cleared her throat and tried to compose herself. "What about you Jimmy? You don’t need me anymore. I did my job, you got Lou." She told him coolly.

For the second time during that conversation Jimmy’s mouth hung open, and he was left speechless. All he could do was stand and watch helplessly as Devon walked inside her house and quietly shut the door behind her. Her calm demeanor unnerved him, and left him with an unsettled feeling in his stomach. He could take her anger, and he could take her sadness. But he couldn’t take the nonchalant attitude and tone of voice. Jimmy knew that something was bothering her, but he also knew better than to push her. As Jimmy mounted his palomino he let out a defeated sigh. I just hope she decides to talk to me when she’s ready. I know she’ll come to me before anyone else, I just hope I’ll be able to help her through whatever’s bothering her, he thought to himself as he rode back towards town.

 

***************************************

 

Not fifteen minutes after Jimmy’s departure did Devon hear another knock at the door. Her water had cooled during her time outside, so she’d had to put on another pot to boil. She was just about to sit down with her tea, when she heard the knock.

"Oh for goodness sakes!" Devon exclaimed as she stood up and walked over to door. "Who is it?" Devon called as she peered through the curtain.

"It’s Kid." Said the voice from the other side of the door.

Devon opened the door and smiled sympathetically at Kid. Jimmy had really beat the hell out of Kid. His face was bruised and he had a swollen lip. "Hello Kid."

Kid nodded politely and smiled boyishly. "Mornin’ Devon. I uh, I was wondering if uh, well, actually I was thinking that maybe you, uh, well I was hoping that-"

Devon cocked her head to the side and tried not to giggle. "Spit it out Kid!"

Kid blushed and looked down at his feet. "Okay. Here goes." He looked up and smiled again. "Now Devon, I know I ain’t got no right comin’ here to ask you this, but I was wonderin’ if you’d be able to help me out with something."

"Well, you don’t know that you ain’t got a right until you ask me. So what is it?" Devon asked impatiently.

"Can you help me write a love poem for Lou?" Kid blurted out.

Devon’s eyes widened. "A what?!?"

Kid blushed again and he turned to walk away. "Never mind, it was a dumb idea. I shouldn’t have come here."

Devon’s mind raced with this new information. It seemed that Kid wasn’t ready to give up on Lou just yet. Which meant that there was a possibility that she might still have a chance with Jimmy!

"Kid wait!" Devon called out.

Kid stopped and turned around. "Yeah?"

Devon smiled. "Give me five minutes to freshen up and then we’ll go get some lunch and work on that poem of yours."

Kid’s face lit up and he nodded happily. "Shall I hitch up your buckboard?"

Devon grinned. "That would be fine."

 

***************************************

 

Twenty minutes later, Devon and Kid were sitting in the restaurant eating lunch. Devon hated to admit it, but she was actually having a pleasant time. So far she had succeeded in avoiding the other riders, and the fresh ham sandwich that she was munching on was delicious. Devon had a piece of paper, quill and ink well on the table in front of her, and tried to think romantic thoughts as she chewed another bite of her sandwich.

Kid glanced up at her and smiled. "How about, Roses are red, daisies are white, I still love you, even after our fight?"

Devon giggled girlishly. "That’s good!" When Kid smiled Devon continued. "See? You didn’t need my help!"

"I guess not, but I’m still glad that we had lunch." Kid smiled at her. "I never really got a chance to know you, and I know the others haven’t been all too nice to you. Especially Lou." Kid reached forward and took Devon’s hand in his, smiling brightly. "I’m really happy that I got to know the real Devon Morgan, and I hope that we’ll be able to continue to be friends."

Devon smiled. "Thanks Kid, that really means a lot to me. And I understand about Lou, even though she’s still not my biggest fan." When Kid raised his eyebrows, Devon continued. "When I first arrived here, Lily and Buck’s relationship was threatened, and Lou just reacted the way any girl’s best friend would. She resented me because I was trying to take Buck away from Lily. But that’s over, and who knows? Maybe one day Lou and I can work out our differences." Devon wasn’t too sure about that, but the reaction that it evoked from Kid was definitely worth saying it.

Kid reached over and pulled Devon into his arms and hugged her tightly. "You really are somethin’ special, aren’t ya?"

Devon blushed and smiled. "Thanks Kid. Now, you go and give that note to Lou, and tell me what happens, alright?"

"What about you?" Kid asked as they walked to the front door.

"What about me? I’m gonna head on home." Devon replied.

"You want me to take you?"

Devon smiled and walked outside. "You’re sweet, but I’ll be fine."

Kid nodded. "Okay, I’ll come by and see you later."

Devon turned and started walking towards her horse and buckboard, pleased with the way the afternoon had turned out. She really had enjoyed her lunch with Kid, and was hopeful that his poem would work.

 

***************************************

 

Jimmy had witnessed the affectionate hugs between Kid and Devon through the restaurant window, and felt the hurt and anger soar through his veins. She had lied straight to his face! Only an hour ago she had told him that she was avoiding town and wouldn’t even go with him, her "protector" as she used to call him, now she was getting all cozy with Kid? Jimmy didn’t understand it, but he knew one thing for sure. He intended to find out what kinds of games Devon was playing. And he was going to find out right here, and right now.

 

Chapter 12

 

Kid and Devon walked to the waystation while talking quietly and laughing. This was the first time that Devon had felt remotely normal since the fight. They had just turned towards the corral, when Devon noticed they were being followed. Jimmy was stalking toward them with a scowl marring his usually handsome features. Devon stopped in front of the bunkhouse and waited for him.

"Have a nice lunch?" He asked sarcastically as he stopped in front of Devon and Kid.

"Very nice thank you." Devon said icily, she resented his sarcasm. So he'd seen me and Kid together in town, Devon thought. Maybe if she could believe he was jealous she'd feel better, but she knew he wasn't. Why should he be? She asked herself, He has Lou. Devon knew in her heart that Jimmy was just upset at her choice of companions, and that his anger had nothing to do with her.

"Lay off Jimmy, this is none of your business." Kid said angrily.

"Stay out of this Kid, this is between me and Devon."

"She ain't yours to worry about anymore. You made your choice and Devon is free to do as she pleases!" Kid said, his voice rising with each word.

Jimmy looked from Kid to Devon and smiled crudely. "Well, it looks like I've been replaced."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Devon asked.

"Nothin'." Jimmy answered mockingly. "It's just that when I'm not around, you don't come into town, but now that Kid is playing protector and who knows what else, well . . . here you are."

"Jimmy . ." Kid started.

"No! Stay out of this Kid!" Devon interrupted, looking as if she had been slapped. She walked up to Jimmy and poked him in the chest. "You have some nerve James Butler Hickok. Let me get this straight, I can't come into town unless it's to see you? So am I supposed to stay locked up at home wasting away?"

Devon felt as if she was losing her best friend. "I can't believe what I'm hearing. You think that me and Kid . . . ?" Devon couldn't finish the thought, she shook her head slowly, her anger rising more and more with each second that passed.

"Did it ever occur to you that we were having lunch as friends? No of course not! I am just a desperate female who is working her way through the Pony Express right? Let's see . ." Devon began counting them off on her fingers, "First Buck didn't work out, so I moved on to you! You left, so now I'm on to Kid right? Is that how it works?!"

Devon's voice began to break with emotion, she closed her eyes briefly to calm herself and when she opened them she noticed Rachel, Buck, Lily, Cody and Lou had come out of the bunkhouse and were silently watching the exchange between the former friends. From where they were standing, Devon knew they could hear every word out of their mouths. Just seeing Lou made Devon angrier, because she knew that it was Lou's opinions of her that Jimmy was voicing, and it hurt to think that he could so easily forget everything they had shared in the time they spent together.

Devon turned her attention back to Jimmy, making her words angry to mask the hurt she was feeling. "Well then, let me tell you, you are absolutely . . . right! You see this is the way I work, if Kid doesn't take me, I'll move onto Cody and if Cody drops me well then I always thought Noah was cute and I'm sure he's available too! I'm a whore! Is that what you wanted to hear Jimmy?! Fine! I've said it, now I'm going home!"

Devon stepped away, but Jimmy grabbed her arm. "I never said that!" He yelled.

Kid and Buck both moved forward to get between Devon and Hickok, but Devon pulled her arm out of his grasp and the two young men moved back.

"You didn't have to! You've changed Jimmy, you're not the same person I was friends with. Hell, I don't even recognize you; you've become a male version of Lou!" She said angrily, she felt as if Jimmy had betrayed her and her eyes were glossy with unshed tears.

Jimmy saw the hurt in her eyes, he really didn't understand why he was so angry. He knew that more than anyone else, Devon needed some happiness in her life. "Devon," he began softly.

"No!" She yelled. "I don't want to hear it!" She stepped back away from him, and hugged herself tightly. Her voice suddenly became soft and trembled slightly. "All I ever wanted, was to find a place to call home, maybe get married and have a few kids. I came here and I found Buck; a link from my past, someone I hoped to share a future with, but it wasn't meant to be. Then you came along, and I lost you too. So what's left for me Jimmy? What's left?" She asked as she stared at the ground.

Her anger he could've handled, but the soft voice full of hurt, broke his heart. Jimmy realized he had handled this whole situation badly. He took a deep breath, "I'm sorry Devon, I never meant to hurt you. I think I've made a mistake here."

"You're right. People make mistakes, especially when it comes to men and women."

Jimmy suddenly became defensive, "Lou ain't a mistake Devon."

Devon dropped her arms and looked into Jimmy's eyes. For the first time since Jimmy had met her, Devon's eyes were blank and her face was pale, it was as if he as looking at a corpse. The image of her from his dream came back to him and he shuddered. When she spoke her voice was calm and strong, it occurred to Jimmy that Devon was giving up her fight.

"I wasn't talking about you and Lou, I was talking about you and me."

Devon took a deep breath, she felt the wall she had put around her heart as a child, that had been torn down during her time with Buck and Jimmy, being slowly resurrected.

"Let me tell you about mistakes." She said, "It was a mistake to let myself feel again, I almost forgot that opening your heart to someone only leads to heartbreak. I should never have let myself be your friend Jimmy. It's over." She added softly.

Devon glanced at the group standing nearby; silently listening to everything, she then turned back to Jimmy who was too stunned by the turn of the events to speak.

"Being replaced has gone both ways with us Jimmy. I'm glad you got what you wanted." She glanced at Lou briefly before continuing.

"I am only going to say this once-" Devon began, "-I'm sorry I ever rode into town, I'm sorry I recognized Buck as Red Eagle, I'm sorry if I hurt Lily in any way and I'm sorry if you all felt as if I turned your lives upside down. But most of all I'm sorry that I didn't die on the gallows."

Devon's voice broke with emotion and Jimmy opened his mouth to respond, but Devon shook her head.

"Let me finish." She said, and Jimmy's mouth snapped shut.

"I don't ever want to see you again." Devon's voice was clear, all traces of emotion completely erased, which made her next statement hurt Jimmy deeper than if she had said it while crying.

"I can't believe I ever thought I was in love with you. Good-bye Jimmy."

Devon stepped away then, and walked to Starlight. With a grace she never knew she possessed, Devon managed to ride away from the waystation, and the two men she had been so desperately in love with, with her head held high and not a single tear shed.

She rode onto the land she called her home. Devon took Starlight into her small barn and cooled her off. Quietly she walked into her lonely house, closed the door behind her and sunk to the floor in a heap, the sobs racking her small body. Suddenly Devon wailed, finally releasing the anguish that had been strangling her since Jimmy had first confronted her.

 

Chapter 13

 

As Buck walked his horse into Devon’s barn, he once again wondered if he was doing the right thing. He walked over to her house and climbed the porch steps with trepidation. He was still shaken by the scene that had occurred at the waystation the day before between Devon and Jimmy. He had tossed and turned all night, tense with worry over Devon. When he couldn’t take it any longer, he rose and left to watch the sunrise, hoping that he would find some comfort in it. Finally he couldn’t wait any longer, and rode out to Devon’s place.

"What am I doing here?" Buck asked aloud. "She’s going through enough pain already." Buck turned and was about to walk away when the front door opened.

"Buck?"

Buck turned around and gasped. Devon was pale, her usually vibrant violet eyes were dull and muted, the light gone. He had never seen her like this before, and he was stunned. "Devon, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have come here. I shouldn’t have bothered you."

"No, it’s okay. I’m not upset that you’re here." Devon offered Buck a weak smile. "Would you like to come in?"

Buck nodded and followed Devon into the living room, where he walked over to the couch and sat down, Devon next to him. "Are you okay?" He asked her.

"I’m about as okay as anyone in my situation could be I guess." Devon answered.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Buck asked, a concerned look crossing his face.

Devon shook her head. "No."

"Devon, you have to." Buck reached forward and took her hand in both of his. "You can’t keep this pain inside of you for much longer. It’s going to eat away at you until it consumes you, and by then it will be too late to do anything about it."

"Buck, I don’t know."

"Devon, I can see your pain. I can see what this is doing to you and I don’t like to see you hurting like this. Please talk to me." Buck asked gently.

Devon sighed deeply and nodded. "I guess you’re right."

Buck let out a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding.

"I guess I’m just feeling incredibly guilty for the trouble that I’ve caused everyone. Ever since I arrived in Rock Creek I’ve done nothing but come between all of the riders, caused arguments and pain. I just don’t see how I can make it up to everyone." Devon looked at Buck, her pain evident in her eyes.

"Devon, nobody blames you for anything." Buck tried to reassure her.

"Don’t Buck." Devon looked at him and shook her head. "I know you want to make me feel better, but your loyalty belongs with your friends. I’d be an idiot to think that Lou, Kid, Lily, Jimmy and probably everyone else has one reason or another to dislike me." Devon sighed again and fought back the tears that threatened to cascade down her cheeks.

"People around here just have a tough time letting things go, but eventually everything works itself out." Suddenly Buck smiled an impish grin and laughed. "Maybe you should just leave town for a while and wait for Cody to get into trouble. Shouldn’t take too long!"

Devon’s eyes lit up. "That’s not such a bad idea!"

Buck’s eyes widened. "Devon! No, I was just kiddin’!!"

"But it would save me the embarrassment of having to face Jimmy again. Especially after what happened yesterday." Devon blushed.

Buck smiled. "I wasn’t going to bring it up, but-"

"But you might as well say it. I made a total fool of myself." Devon cut Buck off as her last words to Jimmy ran through her head again. I can't believe I ever thought I was in love with you. Good-bye Jimmy.

"Did you mean it?" Buck asked softly.

"What?"

"Did you mean what you said to Jimmy?" Buck asked again, squeezing her hand gently.

Devon nodded her head. "I never spoke truer words in my life." Finally Devon couldn’t keep the tears from falling any longer. "Buck, I do love him. That wasn’t an act. But it’s no use whining about it now. I destroyed any chance I might have had with him."

"Devon-" Buck started to say, but Devon cut him off again.

"Don’t! Don’t give me false hopes to believe in." Devon looked at him seriously. "I’ve had a lifetime… and more… of false hopes and quite honestly I’ve just about had it with them. I’m done wishing and thinking that I might actually find happiness and love in life."

"Devon, don’t talk like that. It’s not true and you know that."

Devon raised an eyebrow at Buck. "Do I?" Buck started to open his mouth, but Devon held up her hand. "I’ve made up my mind and I know what I have to do. And there’s nothing you can say or do to change that."

Buck’s face clouded over and he dropped his gaze to the ground.

Devon reached forward and lifted his chin. "Buck, for the first time in my life I feel content. I don’t know why, but all of a sudden things feel like they’re going to be alright. I’m not sad, and I don’t want you to be either. Things will be okay, I’m sure of it."

"Are you sure?" Buck asked quietly.

Devon leaned forward and planted a friendly kiss on his cheek. "Yes I am. You’ve helped me more than you know. I finally know now what I need to do, and I’m grateful for your help in coming to that decision. Thank you Buck." Devon smiled at him, her eyes shining for the first time in a long time.

"Good. I’m glad to hear that." Buck smiled and hugged her tightly. "I hate to do this to you, but I have some chores that need tendin’ to back at the waystation."

Devon stood up and smoothed her skirt, still smiling. "Don’t let me keep you." She said as she followed Buck to the front door.

Buck walked out on to the porch and turned around. "I’ll come by and see you tomorrow, okay?"

Devon smiled. "Okay."

Buck walked down the porch steps and Devon walked outside. She waited until he’d come out of the barn with his horse and mounted it before calling out to him.

"Buck!"

Buck turned his head. "Yeah?"

"Thank you for being a wonderful friend." Devon smiled.

Buck threw her a confused look and then smiled. "You’re welcome." He tipped his hat and then kicked his horse into motion.

Devon stood on the porch and watched Buck ride away until he became nothing more then a speck on the horizon. Maybe you should just leave town for a while… Buck’s words echoed in her head and Devon knew that he had given her the solution to her problems.

"I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you, but I know you would have tried to stop me." Devon spoke aloud to herself. Finally she turned and walked into the house to start packing. What Buck didn’t know was that this would be the last time he ever saw Devon. She planned to leave and go where no one would ever find her, and she wouldn’t bring anymore pain to the people she loved.

 

Chapter 14

 

Devon woke early the next morning, thanks to Buck she had made a life altering decision. She dressed quickly and went through her morning chores rapidly. Devon then saddled Starlight and headed towards the Collins farm.

Dennis was outside feeding the few chickens his mother owned, when he saw her. Devon gave Dennis a wave as he ran toward her excitedly. "H-I!"

Devon smiled, "Hi Dennis, is your mother busy?"

"N-O-S-H-E-S-B-A-K-I-N-G-P-I-E-S. W-H-A-T-S-W-R-O-N-G-D-E-V-O-N?"

Devon wondered how he was going to take her news. She realized she would miss him terribly. They had become very close in a short time. She decided he deserved to know first.

Devon dismounted and knelt in front of Dennis, bringing her to his eye level. "Dennis I've decided to move away." She said softly.

"N-O-I-D-O-N-T-W-A-N-T-Y-O-U-T-O-G-O!"

"I have to." Devon pleaded.

"I-S-I-T-B-E-C-A-U-S-E-O-F-J-I-M-M-Y?"

Devon had forgotten how perceptive the little boy was. "Well yes and no."

"Y-O-U-S-H-O-U-L-D-H-A-V-E-T-O-L-D-H-I-M-Y-O-U-L-O-V-E-D-H-I-M." He spelled sadly.

"I tried. He doesn't love me, he's in love with Lou."

"H-E-L-O-V-E-S-Y-O-U." He spelled as he poked her in the chest. "H-E-J-U-S-T-D-O-N-T-K-N-O-W-I-T-Y-E-T."

Devon smiled sadly, "I just wish I could believe that. You see Dennis, Jimmy and me had a big fight; and I'm afraid we said a lot of things that can't be taken back. Believe me it's better this way." She hugged her small friend.

Devon felt the wetness of Dennis' tears on her blouse. He pulled back slightly, his tear streaked face looking up at hers for several moments. It broke Devon's heart to see him this way. "I'm going to miss you." She said.

"I-W-I-L-L-M-I-S-S-Y-O-U-T-O-O-D-E-V-O-N." Dennis spelled quickly, then ran off.

Devon sighed as she stood and brushed the dirt off her skirts. She looked in the direction that Dennis had run, but there was no sign of him. It was as if he had vanished. Down heartedily, Devon turned and walked into the small farmhouse to say good-bye to Dennis' mother.

**************************************

After leaving the Collins' farm Devon decided to go into town. She rode in with one mission, to meet with Thompkins. She knew she wasn't going to be comfortable, so Devon wanted to get it over with as soon as possible.

As she came into town Devon had a sense of deja-vu. Buck sat outside of the Marshal's office, his chair tilted back. He was just as she had seen him the very first time she rode into town two months earlier.

Devon decided her errand could wait. She owed it to Buck to give him an explanation of why she was in town.

Buck smiled at her as she rode up and dismounted Starlight. "Hey there." He said. "What a nice surprise."

"Hi Buck, is it safe?" Devon asked as she looked around.

"If you're askin' if Jimmy, Lou, or Lily's around, then the answer is no they're not."

Devon sighed in relief. "Good, cause I need to talk to you."

Buck suddenly had a strange feeling he wasn't going to like what he was about to hear. "Alright. Is it okay if we stay here and talk? Barnett is out to lunch and I have to wait for him to get back."

"Sure." Devon sat beside Buck on a small bench outside of the office. "I've made an important decision." She told him.

"About what?"

"Me." She said softly. "That's one of the reasons I stopped here. I thought you should know."

"It's not good is it?" Buck asked.

"Depends on who you are. I mean, Lily and Lou might love it, but Dennis cried after I told him." Devon paused and looked into Buck's eyes. "I've decided I'm going to leave town tomorrow morning."

"What!" Buck's eyes were wide with shock.

"I'm moving on. There's nothing left for me here, I've really tried to make a life for myself, but it hurts too much to see you and Lily together and now Jimmy has Lou." Devon's voice broke and a single tear made its way down her cheek. "Damn, I promised myself I wouldn't cry." She said as she wiped it away.

Buck grabbed her hand and squeezed its reassuringly. "I'm sorry!"

"For what?"

"For driving you out of town." He said solemnly.

Devon took in the serious set of his features and laughed. "I'm sorry." She said when he stared at her. "It's not your fault or Jimmy's or Lily's or Lou's. It's mine. I have to make a new start for myself somewhere else. I have to do this for me, I never would've realized that if it wasn't for you."

Buck knew there was no argument he could make to change her mind. "Do you know where you're going?"

Devon stared out into the street. "Out West. California maybe. I figure I could get a job as a nanny or in a hotel. Who knows? Maybe I'll meet someone who'll sweep me off my feet and we'll get married and have lots of babies."

Buck looked over at her, they both knew she had added that last part to try to make them both feel better. Buck knew better than anyone else that Devon had been hurt deeply and that it would be a long time, if ever, before she would open her heart to another man.

"Will you keep in touch?" He asked.

Devon saw the hope in Buck's eyes. "No." She answered, the hope faded and his eyes became sad. This time it was Devon who gave a comforting squeeze to their joined hands.

"We both have to get on with our lives and to do that we need to cut all ties to our past." She explained.

"I hate this." He said softly. "I'll miss you Devon."

"I'll miss you too Buck." The two sat quietly looking into the street for a few minutes, then Devon remembered the other reason she was glad to have seen Buck.

"You're going to marry her, right?" She asked.

Buck looked over at her and wondered why Devon was asking. He arched an eyebrow in question. Devon saw this and laughed again. Buck's gut tightened in response, he loved Devon and maybe in another time they could be together, but he was in love with Lily and he was happy that Devon would not stand in the way of his happiness.

"Don't do that!" She said as she playfully punched his arm.

"Ow!" Buck made a big show out of rubbing his "injured" appendage. "You are talking about Lily?"

"Of course! Unless you've changed your mind and decided to ask someone else." She wiggled her eyebrows at him.

Buck laughed. "No there's no one else. Yes I'd like to marry Lily, we've discussed it, but there are no definite plans."

"Well I'm glad to hear it." When Buck looked at her questioningly Devon realized how it sounded. "Uh-I meant I'm glad you two are discussing it, cause I want you to have my house."

"Devon I can't-" Buck began.

"Why not? I ain't gonna use it anymore, and I want you to have it."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Okay, if that's what you want." He said after some thought.

"I do. Unfortunately there won't be any animals there. I've decided to give my livestock to Mrs. Collins, Dennis' mother. But there is plenty of farmland left, and my garden. I just planted white rose bushes and they're just about to open. Lily should like them. I'm also selling my extra feed and crops to Thompkins unless you want them?"

"You're going to see Thompkins to sell him crops?" An astounded Buck asked.

"Yep."

"Alone?"

Devon smiled, "I can hardly believe it myself. Actually I should be going before it gets any later, I've still got a lot to do." Devon rose to leave and headed towards Starlight.

"Do you want some company?" Buck said as he followed her.

"No I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?" Buck knew that Devon had been skittish around Thompkins, and he didn't like the idea of her going to see him alone.

"Yes!" She said as she rolled her eyes. "Now you sit here and wait for Barnett." Devon looked toward the waystation and saw Lily headed in their direction.

"Well it looks like I'm leaving right on time." She said as she turned to Buck again.

Buck saw Lily as well, then turned to Devon. They stood there for a few moments each unsure of how to say good-bye for the last time.

Finally Lily reached them and Devon exhaled slowly. "Good-bye Buck." She said sadly.

"Good-bye Devon."

Lily watched as Devon turned, unhitched Starlight, and walked towards Thompkins’ store. She felt the finality of the farewells that had been said, and instead of feeling the joy that she thought she would, Lily felt sadness. She turned to Buck, her eyes full of questions.

"She's leaving town tomorrow." He said.

Lily enveloped him in a comforting hug. "I'm so sorry Buck." She said, and meant it.

Devon turned to look back at the couple before she went into the store, and saw their embrace. She knew she wouldn't have to worry about Buck's future. Lily would never break his heart.

Devon opened the door and walked into the store. There were no customers and Devon felt a little uncomfortable, but she knew the faster she went through with it the sooner it would be over. Thompkins was huddled over some boxes and hadn't looked up when she entered. Devon cleared her throat and caught his attention. When the shopkeeper looked up, his eyes opened widely in surprise.

Devon smiled nervously. "Hello Mr. Thompkins."

"Hello Devon. What can I do for you today?" He asked as his eyes wandered around her, obviously looking for Jimmy or Buck.

Devon stepped into the store further. "It's not what you can do for me, it's what I can do for you."

Thompkins listened attentively to Devon, and by the time she left the store, the two had struck up a fair deal for her leftover crops and feed.

As Devon turned to leave, Thompkins stopped her. "I'm sorry for all the pain I caused you. I truly am." He said.

Devon could feel that he meant what he said, and ready to close another chapter in her life; hugged him.

"Don't worry another day about it Mr. Thompkins. I forgive you."

"That boy is blind if he don't see what he's got in you Devon."

She knew he was talking about Jimmy and she felt the familiar stab of hurt. "Thank you." She said and left.

Once outside Devon glanced at the Marshal's office. Buck and Lily were gone. She then looked up the street towards the waystation. Devon would've loved to have gone to say good-bye to Rachel and Teaspoon, but she didn't want to run into Jimmy or Lou. After deciding to write Rachel a letter before leaving, Devon unhitched Starlight and headed home to pack the rest of her belongings.

 

Chapter 15

 

Jimmy slowly walked his horse into the barn and jumped down, his legs feeling like blocks of lead. As he brushed his palomino down, he couldn’t help but think about the past couple of days’ events. The confrontation with Devon had been bothering him non-stop and he couldn’t get Devon’s words out of his head.

I don't ever want to see you again. I can't believe I ever thought I was in love with you. Good-bye Jimmy. I can't believe I ever thought I was in love with you. In love with you… in love with you… in love with you… The words just kept echoing around inside of Jimmy’s head, and he felt like he was going to go crazy from it all.

"Dammit!" Jimmy yelled out loud as he smacked his hand on his thigh. He walked over and leaned his body against the wall, letting his head fall wearily against it. "How could I have been so stupid? Dammit, Hickok, you’re the world’s biggest damn fool!" He straightened up and punched the wall before turning around. He didn’t notice the tiny figure standing in the entrance until it was too late.

"I’m sure that whatever that wall did to you, it didn’t deserve one of Jimmy Hickok’s world famous punches." Lou said with an attempt at a smile.

Jimmy’s eyes widened and he felt his stomach turn cold. Oh God, Lou. What the hell am I going to tell her? He asked himself as he walked over to her.

"Lou, I-" Jimmy started to speak, but Lou reached out and placed a finger over his lips.

"Shh," she said, as she shook her head. "I know what you’re goin’ to say, and I want you to know that you don’t need to." Lou pulled her hand away and walked over to sit on a bale of hay, resting her elbows on her knees, her head in her hands.

Jimmy gave a small laugh and followed her. "Well Lou, if you know what I’m gonna say then I’d sure as hell appreciate you tellin’ me. ‘cause I sure don’t."

Lou sighed softly and looked up at Jimmy, tears glistening in her eyes. "You love her." She said simply.

Jimmy felt like someone had punched him in his stomach. "Lou, I never meant to hurt you."

Lou nodded. "I know you didn’t, and I know that you didn’t plan for things to happen this way." She took a deep breath and walked over to Jimmy. "But I also know that when you look at her, your love for her is clear as day in your face. And she gives you that same look right back. Up until now I was making myself blind to it, but I can’t pretend any longer."

Jimmy gave Lou a sideways grin. "You mean the same kinda look that you and The Kid give each other all the time?"

Lou giggled girlishly. "Yeah, I guess you can say that."

"You do love him, don’t you Lou?" Jimmy asked.

Lou nodded. "I guess I never really took the time to think about it until now. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking these past few days." She looked up at Jimmy with bright eyes. "I do love you Jimmy."

Jimmy reached over and cupped her face in his hand. He stroked her cheek tenderly and ran his fingers over her lips softly. He then leaned in and kissed her gently. "But your heart belongs to Kid, and mine belongs to Devon."

Lou squeezed her eyes shut and willed the tears not to fall. This was the hardest thing she’d ever had to do, and she felt like she was falling apart inside. She knew that what Jimmy was saying was true, it was accepting it that was hard.

"You’re an incredible woman Louise, and I’m honored to have been able to spend the time we had together with you. I will remember it for the rest of my life, but for now we have to move on." Jimmy took a deep breath and continued. "Like Devon told Buck, the time was not right for them. Who knows what the future holds in store for you and me? We may find each other again in a time that is right, and be able to be together the way we want to."

Lou swallowed and looked up at Jimmy face. His eyes were bright with tears and his cheeks were stained with wetness. She could see how hard this was for him, and she didn’t want to make it any harder on him. "Devon’s a lucky woman James Butler Hickok." She smiled and reached for his hand. "You go and find her now."

"Thank you Lou. Thank you for everything." Jimmy smiled and hugged her tightly. Then he walked over to his horse, mounted up and took off in the direction of Devon’s ranch.

"You’re welcome Jimmy. I just hope I made the right decision." Lou said to herself before she collapsed on the hay bale and sobbed quietly to herself.

 

Chapter16

 

Jimmy sat on a bale of hay in the barn thinking, he had gone to Devon's house yesterday but she wasn't home. He wanted to tell her how he felt. He now knew that he had done what was best for both Lou and himself. He understood that Lou and Kid were meant to be, and he hoped he would find the same kind of happiness with Devon.

He was in love with her, the realization still made him feel light-headed. It was love that made Jimmy react the way he did when he saw her with Kid. He feared losing Devon, because if he lost her, he would lose a piece of himself.

Why didn't I realize it sooner? Jimmy thought. She was always there for him; always supportive, always listening, always giving of herself and not expecting anything in return. And after all of this Jimmy recognized he had treated her like she was nothing. It was because of Devon, that Jimmy had gotten his chance with Lou. She had played her part even after she had fallen in love with him, and Jimmy had thrown her friendship and her love away because of petty jealousy. Well now that he had settled things with Lou, he would make it up to Devon. Jimmy would beg her forgiveness, even if he had to do it on his hands and knees, and if he were lucky she might forgive him and maybe in time, she could love him again.

The thought of Devon loving him made Jimmy smile. For the first time in his life Jimmy dared to dream of the future. A future with a beautiful wife with crystal violet eyes and raven colored hair. A future full of children, happiness and a farm with a small herb garden. Jimmy picked up the small animal lying beside him and laughed softly as he came out of the barn.

"What's so funny Jimmy?" Cody asked as Jimmy approached the bunkhouse.

"I was just thinking about being a farmer." Jimmy said with a big grin.

Cody doubled over in laughter. "Yeah, sure. You a farmer." The thought set off another bout of laughter.

"It ain't that funny Cody." Jimmy said. "Besides, it's what'll happen if everything works out the way I hope it will."

Cody stared at his friend in surprise. "You serious Jimmy? You want to be a farmer?"

Jimmy nodded. "What I want is a certain young witch, and if I have to be a farmer to have her, it's just what I'll do."

It was then that Cody noticed the small animal lying in Jimmy's hand. "What is that?"

"What's the matter Cody? Ain't ya ever seen a kitten before?" Jimmy said as he petted the small cat's soft fur and getting a purr in response.

Cody blinked twice before answering, "Uh-yeah but what are you doing with it?"

Jimmy shrugged slightly, "It's a gift for Devon, I thought every witch had a black cat, but Devon never did so I thought I'd give her one."

Cody was stunned into silence by the tenderness in Jimmy's voice. Before he could comment on it, the sound of hoofbeats approaching had the two riders turning to see Buck and Lily heading towards them.

After placing a quick kiss to Lily's lips, Buck watched her as she headed into the bunkhouse while Jimmy headed towards him. Buck wasn't sure if he was ready to talk to Jimmy yet. There had been too many harsh words said between them, and even worse ones between Devon and Jimmy.

 

*************************************

Lou watched Kid as he slept. She had spent all of last night tossing and turning, trying to figure out a way to apologize to him, a way to go back to the way they used to be, she was hoping it could happen. She decided there was no way around it she would just have to be blunt, she absolutely hated to admit to being wrong, but she would do anything to get Kid back.

"What is it Lou?" Kid asked; his eyes still closed.

Lou jumped, she was sure he was asleep. "Uh-Kid. Can we talk?"

"'Bout what?" Kid said as he sat up.

Lou took a deep breath. "Us. Now let me finish before you say anything. Kid I made a huge mistake. I went for a fantasy when what I really wanted was standing in front of me all the time. I don't know how to make it up to you but I'll try." She looked down at her feet. "I'm so sorry Kid, I'll understand if you don't want to take me back, but I'd like it if we can still be friends." There she'd said it, the ball was in his court now.

Lou watched as silently Kid walked to his saddlebag and took out a piece of paper. Still without saying a word he handed it to her and motioned for her to read it. Lou opened the note and read it.

"Roses are red, daisies are white, I still love you, even after our fight." She looked up at him in wonder, "What does this mean Kid?"

Kid smiled at her, "It means Jimmy cornered me in the barn as I was coming in from my run. He apologized to me and told me about your decisions. I was sort of expecting this." He said shyly.

"You knew? You knew and let me apologize even though you know how hard it is for me to do it?" She said angrily.

"You were wrong Lou, so consider it your punishment. Now if you're done being upset, come here and kiss me." Kid said as he opened his arms.

Lou threw herself into his arms, "I love you Kid."

"I love you too, I will always love you. We'll start new today, the past doesn't matter okay?" As Lou nodded, Kid lowered his face to hers. The kiss was tender and full of love.

They pulled apart suddenly at the sound of someone clearing their throat at the door. They turned to see Lily standing there looking dejected.

"Lily? What's wrong?" Kid asked.

Lily spoke one word. "Devon."

*************************************

Devon.

No one else knew that she had left that morning. Buck and Lily had helped her load her wagon, and watched as she quietly looked around her land for the last time. The last thing she looked at was the white rose bush she had planted. Tenderly Devon caressed the buds that were just opening, then on a sigh she climbed on to the buckboard and with a wave and small smile she left them. Buck still carried the letter she wrote to Rachel in his shirt pocket.

"Buck?" Jimmy's voice broke Buck out of the memory.

"Yeah?"

Jimmy wasn't sure where to begin. "Let me help you cool down the horses. I need to talk to you."

Buck decided it was best that Jimmy hear about Devon from him. "Okay, I need to talk to you too." The two men went into the barn and tended to the horses, neither of them saying anything. Finally when they were through Jimmy picked up the kitten from the corner of the stall where he had left it and turned to Buck.

"Buck I want to say somethin' and I don't want you interruptin' until I finish."

"Fine, but I need to tell you somethin' too." Buck said as he sat on a bale of hay.

"Alright but I want to go first." Jimmy insisted.

Buck was interested, Jimmy had never been so insistent. "What's this about Jimmy?" Buck looked up and caught sight of what Jimmy was carrying. "What is that?"

Jimmy waved off his last question. "It's a gift. I need to say two things," Jimmy began. "Number one, I need to apologize for what happened between us. I had no cause to say what I did."

Buck arched an eyebrow at his friend’s statement, but said nothing. Jimmy continued. "I was mad, and the argument just got outta hand. Jealousy makes people do stupid things."

"Jimmy, I got nothin' to do with Lou." Buck began.

"Not Lou, Devon."

"Devon?"

Jimmy smiled weakly. "Yeah, you two are connected by your pasts, and you'll always have that bond with her. I can't compete with that."

"Jimmy-"

"Look Buck, I'm trying to say I'm sorry." Jimmy said as he held up his free hand.

"Fine, I accept your apology, but it's not me you should be apologizing to."

Jimmy nodded. "I know, and I planned on making a lot of apologies. Which brings me to number two."

"I'm listening."

Jimmy paused to search for the right words. "I need you to tell me it's okay to court Devon."

"What!?" Surprised, Buck jumped up from his seat.

Caught off guard, Jimmy took a step backwards. He wasn't prepared for such a strong reaction from Buck. "Well, it's just that you're the only one who's close enough to her to be considered family. I figured if you were okay with the thought of the two of us together, then you'd help me to get back in her good graces." He held up the kitten, " I bought her a cat too, she told me once she always wanted one. I thought it might help." He added shyly.

"Awwww Jimmy." Buck said. The look in the other man's eyes was so hopeful. "I would if I could."

"Whattya mean? You don't think Devon will want to see me?" Buck just stood looking at him, and when he didn't answer Jimmy became furious. "Buck? Will you help me or not?"

"Jimmy she's gone."

Buck had spoken so quietly, Jimmy wasn't sure he had heard him correctly. "What?"

Buck exhaled loudly, "She's gone Jimmy. That's what I had to tell you. Devon left town this morning."

"You're lying."

"No Jimmy, I'm not."

Panic set in on Jimmy, and he lashed out. "You're a damn liar Buck Cross! If you don't want us together just say so." Jimmy's quick movements frightened the small animal and the cat's claws latched onto his hand. "Owww!" Jimmy said as he extracted the small claws from his palm.

"I'm so sorry Jimmy." Buck said softly, he knew how his friend felt, he was feeling the same way. He went on, trying to soothe the hurt the only way he knew how. "Hickok, she loved you. Truly and deeply. She loved you enough to let you go, but she couldn't bear to see you and Lou together, so she did the only thing she could; she packed up and left."

Jimmy couldn't believe his ears. "She's gone? She left without saying good-bye to anyone?"

"She just didn't have it in her."

Absently Jimmy put the cat on a bale of hay, turned to his Palomino and saddled it.

"Where are you going?" Buck asked.

"I gotta go, I need to see for myself." Jimmy said as he mounted.

"Don't do this to yourself Jimmy. Let her go."

"Would you, if you were me?" Jimmy asked, when Buck didn't answer, Jimmy continued to get ready to leave. "Where is she Buck?"

Buck shrugged, "I don't really know. She never told me for sure. She mentioned heading west, but she might have said that to throw me off."

Jimmy motioned to the kitten and Buck handed him a small sack as well as the animal. Hickok placed the sack and animal on the horse. Satisfied that the animal wouldn't fall off he turned to his friend, "I gotta try to find her Buck, I love her."

Buck watched as Hickok rode away from the waystation, and knew that Jimmy had spoken his true feelings. "Good luck my friend." He whispered.

 

*************************************

Jimmy stood in front of the house, kitten in hand, and looked around. The livestock was gone and there was an eerie silence than seemed out of place here. Jimmy turned to the small herb garden, remembering how devoted Devon was to it. How the two of them could spend hours together gathering, planting and talking. Next to the garden was a rose bush that Jimmy had never noticed before, silently he wondered how long it had been there. The fragrant blooms were just opening and Jimmy had recalled how Devon had said her favorite flowers were white roses.

Jimmy walked up the porch steps and tried to open the front door. It swung open easily. He stared at the room in front of him. Every piece of her furniture was covered under sheets and all traces of the woman he had come to love having ever lived there was gone. Unable to bear it, Jimmy turned and walked out; closing the door behind him. He sat on the top step with his head hanging.

"It looks like I really made a mess of things." He said to the kitten. The cat responded with a series of meows that to Hickok sounded as if it were berating him. "Okay, okay." He said and in that instant knew he had to find her, even if it took his lifetime to do it.

 

"Devon, where are you?" He whispered, it was a soft plea spoken to the wind.

 

Chapter 17

 

Jimmy tucked the kitten under his arm and released a sigh he hadn’t realized he was holding in. He turned around to walk out of the house and noticed a shadow move away quickly. Jimmy’s eyes widened as ran down the porch stairs quickly, his heart beating rapidly in chest.

"Devon?" he cried out frantically.

He looked around, but whoever it was had disappeared. Out of the corner of his eye, Jimmy saw a slight movement behind the white rosebush. He silently crept up to it and then peered around it, praying that he would find Devon there. Instead of the vibrant violet eyes and raven hair that he loved so dearly, he found the green eyes and red hair that could only belong to one person.

"Dennis!" Jimmy exclaimed. "What in the hell are you doin’ sneakin’ up on me like that? You tryin’ to give me a heart attack?" Jimmy shook his head and looked down at the kitten purring contently in his arms. "What am I doin’ askin’ him anything…he’s just gonna spell it all out to me anyway," he said to the kitten.

"She’s gone."

Jimmy looked up, surprised to hear Dennis talk instead of spell. It was then that he noticed Dennis’ appearance. Dennis stood there, dried tears staining his freckled face, his eyes bright with fresh ones, and wearing a look of total devastation.

"She left us Jimmy." Dennis lifted his hand and wiped away a fat tear that was beginning to make it’s way down his cheek.

Jimmy sighed. "I know son. I know." Jimmy walked over and handed Dennis the kitten. "Here, why don’t you take this little guy? I know he’s needin’ a friend pretty badly right now."

Dennis looked up at Jimmy with wide eyes. "Really? I can have him?"

Jimmy smiled and tousled the little boy’s hair. He knew that Dennis was hurting just as much as he was, and for some reason Jimmy felt a bond with him. "Yeah, he’s all yours. ‘Sides, he seems to mistake my legs for a scratchin’ post."

Dennis smiled. "Thank you Jimmy."

"Don’t worry about it." Jimmy turned to walk away, but stopped himself and turned back. "Dennis? Do you have any idea where Devon could have gone? Did she say anything to you?"

Dennis shrugged and shook his head. "No. She just said she had to go and wasn’t coming back."

Jimmy slumped down on the step and buried his face in his hands. "Think Jimmy, think dammit!" He spoke aloud to himself, trying to figure out where Devon would go.

Dennis walked over and sat down next to Jimmy. He placed a hand on Jimmy’s arm and looked up at him with tearful eyes. "It hurts. Are you hurting too?"

Jimmy swallowed and felt the beginnings of tears starting to form in his eyes. He took a deep breath and sniffled, unable to keep the tears from slowly dripping down his cheeks. Why was it that when he needed to show his true emotions, all he was able to do was act like an ass, but now, with this innocent little boy beside him, he was able to cry?

"Yeah Dennis, I’m hurting. I just wish I hadn’t hurt Devon, then maybe she’d still be here with us." Jimmy told the little boy honestly.

"You love her, don’t you?" Dennis asked.

Jimmy felt himself opening up to Dennis, and he had no idea why. "Dennis, I love her more than I have ever loved anybody in my entire life. Devon is a really special person. She made me see a part of me that I never knew existed. She treated me like no one’s ever treated me before, so what do I do? I turn around and hurt her! I am such an idiot! She must hate me for everything I did to her."

"She doesn’t hate you. She loves you Jimmy. She told me so. She just wanted you to be happy, and she thought that by leaving she would make you happy." Dennis looked up at Jimmy with far more maturity in his eyes than Jimmy had ever seen.

"Thanks Dennis." Jimmy smiled and wiped his eyes, trying to gain some composure.

"Hey Jimmy?"

"Yes?"

"Would it be okay for me to come around and see you every so often?" Dennis asked hopefully.

Jimmy chuckled softly. "Sure."

Dennis’ eyes lit up for the first time since Devon’s departure. "Hey Jimmy?"

"Yes?" Jimmy answered again.

"You feel like going swimming?"

"Swimming?" Jimmy asked.

"Yeah," Dennis nodded. It’s pretty hot out and I was thinking of going down to the creek for a swim.

The creek… a small grove of trees and an open pasture completely covered in wildflowers… Jimmy thought to himself. His and Devon’s spot! "That’s it!" Jimmy exclaimed as he jumped up.

"What is?" Dennis asked, confused by Jimmy’s behavior.

Jimmy reached down and hugged Dennis tightly. "That’s where Devon is! I know she is…she has to be!"

"Dennis’ eyes widened. "You really think so?"

"Come on, we’re wasting time!" Jimmy called as he ran over to his horse. Dennis followed and Jimmy carefully helped him up onto his horse, then climbed up behind him. "You got the cat?" Dennis nodded. "Great, then let’s go!" Jimmy kicked the horse into a fierce gallop and headed off into the direction of the creek.

Devon, please be there. I need you, Jimmy prayed.

 

Chapter 18

 

Devon hitched Starlight and the buckboard to a low hanging branch by the creek. She had come back to the meadow for one last look at the place that had become so special to her. "Why do I do this to myself?" She asked Starlight. The horse whinnied in answer. "Thanks." She said as she looked for a place to sit and think about how her life had changed. Devon found a spot under the shade of an oak tree on the creek bed. Leaning back against the trunk Devon sat and picked wildflowers. As she braided the stems together she remembered the last time she had come here with Jimmy. Back then he had taken the wreath of flowers she wove and crowned her.

It was this side of the rider that she had fallen in love with. The tender, funny and devoted friend that he kept hidden behind the "Wild Bill" exterior. She wished more people would get to see it, but she doubted she'd ever be there the day it happened. Slowly the tears began to fall, Devon hated herself for not having the courage to say good-bye to him face to face. As she curled up into a ball by the side of the creek, Devon wondered if Jimmy knew she was gone. He probably wouldn't care anyway, she thought.

Devon cried for her lost love, and exhausted she fell asleep.

******************************************

Devon felt a small paw on her cheek, then she heard the voice of a child reprimanding the animal for trying to wake her up. Slowly she opened her eyes to find a black fuzzy face staring at her with the biggest green eyes she had ever seen. A kitten? Stretching she sat up and came face to face with the child. Dennis!

Dennis scooped up the kitten, and turned it to face him. "Now see what you did, you woke her up." He scolded.

Devon stared at him in wonder. "Dennis you're talking!" She gasped. "What are you doing here?"

Dennis smiled widely and looked passed her. Devon turned to see what he was staring at. Jimmy. Devon's stomach flip-flopped as her eyes met his.

"We were starting to get worried there, you've been out for a couple of hours." He said softly. Jimmy knew he had to see her, but now that they were together he wasn't sure what he should say.

Devon stared at him in disbelief. She could almost believe he was there to see her, but she knew the chances of that were slim to none. She looked around for Lou but saw no sign of her. Knowing that having him so close to her only brought her heartache, Devon decided to take the offensive. "Go away." She said coldly.

Jimmy flinched as if he had been struck. Surprised by the coldness in her voice. "Devon can we talk?"

"No! I'm asking you, please go away Jimmy. Leave me alone. Go back to Lou."

"Devon please-"

Devon stood up. "No! I don't want to hear it, there's nothing more to say Jimmy we've said it all."

"I haven't said I love you!"" Jimmy yelled, as his frustration got the better of him.

Devon stared at him, her eyes wide. Dennis looked from one adult to the other, and decided it was time to make a quiet exit. "I'm going to take Blackie and wait in the buckboard until you're finished." He said to Jimmy. Turning to Devon he said, "He bought you a kitty, please listen to him Devon. He deserves a second chance, let him tell you how he feels."

Devon watched the boy turn and walk towards the buckboard. She then turned her attention to the man before her. Jimmy stood with his hat in his hands, his eyes haunted. "I didn't know he could talk." She said. "When did that happen?"

Jimmy knew she was changing the subject and allowed her to do so. "I went looking for you, and he was there. The next thing I knew he opened his mouth and words came out. He said he missed you."

"What were you doing looking for me? What's this about Jimmy?" Devon held her breath waiting for his answer.

"I went looking for somewhere else for the thing I had in front of me." Jimmy walked to stand in front of her. Taking her hand in his he took a deep breath before continuing. "Lou and I ain't together anymore. We figured we couldn't love each other if we loved other people."

Devon's eyes welled up with tears, it was the second time in the last five minutes Jimmy had mentioned loving someone other than Lou. "I can't do this Jimmy, I can't put my heart on the line anymore."

Jimmy refused to listen to her, he had to make her believe in him. "I'm saying I love you. You. There is no one else for me. If you can leave me after that, then go. But I'd like you to stay and give me a chance."

There was such hope in his eyes. Devon was at war with herself, wondering if she could survive another heartbreak. Knowing that she should be wary, Devon decided to listen to her heart. It had never really let her down.

Standing on her toes she grabbed Jimmy's shirtfront and pulled him down for a kiss. Her kiss was intense and passion filled, melding her mouth to his, urging his response. Jimmy wrapped his arms around her and tilted his head to deepen the kiss. A moan escaped Devon, which only fueled Jimmy's desire. Several minutes later the two parted breathlessly.

"Did you really buy me a kitten?" Devon asked as she caressed Jimmy's smooth cheek.

Jimmy smiled shyly at her. "I was going to your place to apologize when Buck told me you'd left. I was hoping the kitten would help me soften you up. But then I ran into Dennis and I gave him the kitten, but I can get you another one." Devon smiled as she pictured Jimmy at her door with a kitten in one hand and his hat in the other, a look of penance on his face. "So, did it work?" He asked; breaking into the memory.

"I don't need a kitten Jimmy. All I ever needed was you." Devon placed a soft kiss to his lips, "Tell me again."

"I love you Devon Morgan." Jimmy gazed at her with passion heavy eyes, "Now can I take you home? We have a lot of things to talk about."

Devon saw the hunger in his eyes and doubted they would do much talking once back at home. "Yes Jimmy, take me home."

 

Chapter 19

 

Jimmy reached down and carefully picked up the crown of wildflowers that Devon had been weaving before she fell asleep. He gently ran his fingers over it and smiled softly to himself.

Devon gave him a curious look. "What?"

Jimmy gazed up at her with a look of pure adoration on his face. He walked over, ran his thumb across her cheek softly, then placed the crown on top of her head, just like he had done the last time they were there. Then he quickly kissed the tip of her nose before saying, "What do you say we lose the kid?"

Devon giggled. "I don’t think that’s going to be a problem." She cocked her head in the direction of the buckboard and horses.

Jimmy glanced over and found Dennis sitting there with a look of silly disgust on his face, as would any boy his age wear if he saw two adults kissing. Jimmy laughed. "Watch this," he told Devon. Then he called out to Dennis. "Hey Dennis?"

Dennis stopped playing with Blackie and looked up. "Yeah Jimmy?"

"You wanna come back to Devon’s with us?" Jimmy flashed Devon a wicked grin.

Dennis wrinkled his face. "Ewww, no way! First I’m gonna drop Blackie off at my house, then I’m gonna go into town and get me an ice-cream!"

Devon and Jimmy laughed. "Do you want a ride?" Jimmy asked.

Dennis looked from one adult to the other, then smiled mischievously. "Nah, that’s okay. It’s only a short walk." Then he walked over and threw his arms around Devon. "I’m glad you’re back," he said with a grin. He looked up at Jimmy and smiled shyly. "Thank you for being so nice to me. I always thought you didn’t like me. I’m happy I was wrong."

Jimmy reached out and tousled the boy’s hair affectionately. "See ya later kid."

Dennis smiled and trotted off, kitten in tow.

Jimmy turned back and looked down into Devon’s eyes. "Now, where were we?" He asked huskily.

Devon raised her eyebrow and furrowed her brow. "Hmm," she said thoughtfully. "I think…" she trailed off.

Jimmy pulled her closer. "You think…?"

Devon flashed him her most dazzling smile. "I think I’m starting to feel…very hot…"

This time it was Jimmy who raised his eyebrow. "Oh really?"

Devon nodded. "Mhmm…I think…I’m in the mood…for a swim…" Devon said as she giggled flirtatiously and started to unbutton her blouse.

Jimmy’s curiosity was instantly piqued, and he stood back and watched as Devon slowly removed item after item of her clothing. Every time he reached for her, Devon would primly slap his hand away and wink.

"Now now Mr. Hickok…you’ve waited this long, haven’t you?" Devon asked with a breathy tone.

Jimmy’s eyes flashed wickedly and he shot her a crooked grin. "Yeah," he said as he reached out and pulled her towards him. "And that was long enough for me," he finished as he crushed his lips down onto hers in a passionate and soul-searching kiss.

At that moment, Devon’s whole world was Jimmy and their kiss. She too, had waited long enough for him, and wasn’t about to wait a moment longer. She slowly started unbuttoning his shirt, and before long, he too stood there in nothing but the skin God gave him.

 

*******************************************

The sunlight was just beginning to slip away when Jimmy woke. It took a moment for him to gather his bearings, but when he looked down and found Devon sleeping peacefully in his arms, he knew that Heaven couldn’t be any better than that. He sighed contently as he tightened his hold around Devon’s small frame and realized that he could happily die right then and there. But it was beginning to get chilly, and the breeze from the creek was causing goosebumps to quickly appear on their still moist skin.

Devon breathed softly and smiled in her sleep. Jimmy gazed down at the beauty in his arms and asked himself again how he could have been so foolish as to almost lose her. She completes me, he thought to himself. I never thought I’d ever feel the way she makes me feel. Thank God she was willing to give me a second chance.

Suddenly a colder breeze swept over them and Devon shivered violently. Jimmy started to untangle himself from her arms when she woke, groaning in protest.

"C’mon Dev, we’re both gonna catch pneumonia if we don’t put some warm clothes on." Jimmy tried to reason.

Devon looked up with sleepy eyes. "Oh Jimmy, must we? I don’t want to leave yet."

Jimmy leaned down so that he was laying on his side, resting on one elbow and kissed her swollen lips tenderly. "You know, I love it when you’re difficult."

Devon laughed deeply. "You love me any way."

Jimmy’s face turned to one of mock thoughtfulness as he pretended to think about it. "Hmm…do I?"

Devon’s eyes widened and she sat up and punched him playfully. "You!"

"Ow!" Jimmy cried out as he made a big show of grabbing his "wounded" arm, laughing the entire time.

Devon giggled and shivered as another cold breeze blew over them. She looked up at the darkening sky. "Looks like we might be in for a storm tonight."

Jimmy nodded in agreement. "All the more reason we should get dressed and head home. We have the rest of our lives for this."

Devon smiled. She’d never thought she’d ever hear those words coming out of Jimmy’s mouth. Life is finally perfect, she thought to herself.

*******************************************

Twenty minutes later, the two of them were in the buckboard, on their way back to Devon’s place. The wind was starting to pick up and the sky was turning a ominous shade of black. They had just pulled up in front of Devon’s place when she thought of something.

"Jimmy, will you stay the night with me?"

Jimmy thought for a minute and was just about to say yes when he remembered that he’d taken off after Devon without telling anyone where he was going. He knew that Rachel and the rest would be worried sick about him if he didn’t return that night.

"I have to get back to the station. None of the others know where I am, and with the storm coming, if I don’t come home, they’re going to wonder if something’s happened to me." Jimmy said apologetically.

Devon pouted, then smiled. "Well, will you come over tomorrow? You know, I’m gonna need some help explainin’ to Buck and Lily why they can’t have my house."

Jimmy smiled as he jumped down and ran to the other side of the wagon to help Devon out. When her feet were safely on the floor, he took her chin in his hands and kissed her quickly. "Nothing short of death will keep me from you tomorrow."

They walked up the stairs of the porch and Devon opened her front door. She turned around and wrapped her arms around Jimmy’s waist. He did the same and buried his face in her hair. It still smelled faintly of the wildflowers that they were laying in.

"Your hair smells like flowers," he told her.

She looked up at him and smiled. Suddenly her eyes lit up and she pulled herself away from him. "Wait here!"

"What-why?" Jimmy asked, puzzled by her sudden thought.

Devon trotted down the steps and around the corner from the porch. Jimmy heard some rustling and a few cuss words, then finally Devon reappeared, holding something behind her back.

"What are you hiding there?" Jimmy asked curiously.

Devon smiled, then extended her hand forward. In it, she held a perfect, beautiful white rose from her garden. "For you."

Jimmy blushed slightly, then smiled. "You know the boys are gonna give me hell for this."

Devon grinned. "I know."

Jimmy leaned forward and kissed her sweetly. "Goodnight my love."

Devon savored the taste of Jimmy’s lips and the sound of his voice. "Goodnight my love."

Devon stood in her doorway and watched as Jimmy walked into the barn, where she knew he was unhitching his palomino from her buckboard. A few minutes later he rode out of the barn and tipped his hat in her direction. Devon felt the need to run after him, but she didn’t. Suddenly she was filled with an overwhelming sense dread, but didn’t know why.

"Jimmy!" she called out after him, but it was too late. He was already to far away to hear her. She sighed and turned to walk inside.

*******************************************

Jimmy arrived back at the way station just in time. No sooner had he secured his horse in the barn and walked into the bunkhouse, when a loud clap of thunder boomed and a streak of lightening flashed across the pitch-black sky. The rain began to come down in buckets. He hadn’t realized how late it was, and the other riders were already in bed.

Oh well, he thought to himself. I guess my news will have to wait until mornin’. He placed the rose on the table and peeled off his clothes. He climbed into his bunk and thought about Devon. He could have sworn that he heard her calling his name, and as he drifted off to sleep, the smells of roses mixed with her perfume filled his senses…

 

Chapter 20

 

Jimmy stretched languidly on his bunk, the smell of roses still strong. Opening his eyes slowly he could have sworn he had felt someone kiss his cheek. Sitting up he expected to see Devon somewhere in the room, instead he saw the forms of his sleeping friends. He smiled as he remembered the previous night's events. Looking over to the table he expected to see the white rose where he had left it, instead he saw the usual clutter on the table, no white rose in sight. Frowning, Jimmy pulled back the covers and swung his feet out. As he did this he felt something hit his hand, looking down he saw a perfect white rose laying where it had rolled from the pillow. Picking it up he smelled it, and realization suddenly dawned on him, things had gone terribly wrong.

"No," he whispered, "Oh please God no." Jimmy jumped out of bed and began to dress quickly. He had to see Devon, he had to do it right away.

"Jimmy? Where are ya goin'?" A raspy voiced Buck asked from behind him as he wiped the sleep from his eyes. Jimmy ignored him as he put his pants on. Buck sat up and as he did a metal object fell to the floor. "What the-?" Buck said as he leaned over to pick up the object. It was a key.

Jimmy turned to see what Buck was holding, instantly he recognized it and knew what it would open. Suddenly shivering, Jimmy felt as if a piece of his heart had died…again. "That's the key to Devon's house. She wanted you to have it." He said shakily.

Buck stared up at his friend in wonder, "How do you know?"

"She told me so." Jimmy said as he buttoned his shirt, grabbed his coat, hat and finally the rose. "I'll be back later, I have to go see her."

"Jimmy she's gone." Buck watched as his friend left the bunkhouse. He knew his friend was hurting.

"Where's he going?" Lou asked. Buck turned to find that all the riders were awake and had witnessed the exchange.

"To see Devon." Buck answered as he clutched the key tightly in his fist. The key had disappeared after the day on the gallows so long ago.

"Do you think he'll be okay?" Cody asked.

Buck nodded, "He needs to do this, with me and Lily gettin' married today, Devon's been on his mind a lot. It's been hard for Hickok to get over the fact that we couldn't save her on the gallows. I'm sure he'll be back soon. Her death has been hard for him."

***********************************

Jimmy tethered his Palomino to the hitching post outside of the small cemetery. He had gone to Devon's house and picked some white roses off the bush she had planted, and now clutched the small bouquet in his hand. He made his way to the familiar tombstone and kneeled beside it. Jimmy placed the bouquet on the soft grass and traced the engraved name on the marker. He read the inscription out loud as he always did, "Devon Morgan, 1840 - 1862, Beloved Friend."

Jimmy's head hung down as he spoke to her, "Hey there, it's me again. I wish you were here Dev, I can't figure out what happened last night. I guess it was all a dream, but I wish to God it wasn't." The tears fell silently to the ground. "I don't know what any of this meant, maybe I'm being punished."

Jimmy felt a comforting hand on his shoulder, he turned around slowly to see who was beside him. He looked up to see the familiar freckled face of a boy.

"Don't beat yourself up over this Jimmy. Cherish what you have experienced. It's not everyone who gets a second chance at what might have been. Take her memory and know that if she had lived beyond the day at the gallows, she would have been yours to love."

Jimmy became angry, "So what?! She ain't here now, what good is what might have been’s Dennis? I don't have her here with me, and I'll never have her here with me!"

Dennis framed the rider’s face in his hands, "Sometimes God in his infinite wisdom has different plans. She wasn't in them for you, He has decided it wasn't your time. But know that you're not being punished and you two shall be reunited. Have faith James Hickok."

"Jimmy?!"

Hickok turned at the sound of his name being called. He saw Buck dismount his horse then turned back to Dennis.

The little boy was gone.

Jimmy looked around the cemetery for any sign of the little boy. There was nothing except for the sound of a soft mewing coming from behind him. Jimmy turned and saw a small black kitten lying beside a freshly dug grave. Blackie! Jimmy picked up the kitten and looked at the tombstone.

Dennis Collins

1855 - 1863

Our Little Angel

Jimmy shuddered and took an involuntary step back bumping into Buck as he did so.

Buck steadied his friend. He saw Jimmy talking to Devon's grave, then turn to look up to the sky. He must've been speaking to his God, Buck thought. Knowing that Jimmy wouldn't like it if he knew Buck had witnessed him in his time of weakness, Buck didn't mention it, and instead looked down at the small grave in front of him. It was that of an eight year old boy.

"Did you know him?"

Jimmy glanced at the kitten in his hand and back to his friend, "I did…in another time."

Buck nodded, he too had felt as if there were some people he could have known before. Devon had taught them that. Silently he turned towards Devon's grave and knelt beside it. He knew that Devon had wanted to be given an Indian burial, but Jimmy and the others wanted to have a place where they could go to pay their respects. So they had done both. The grave in the cemetery contained the ashes of their friend.

"I miss you." He said into the wind. Tenderly he traced her name and with tears in his eyes he walked back towards his horse.

Jimmy put the kitten back next to Dennis' grave, then turned back to Devon's. "Take care of that kid okay. I've got to go. Buck is getting married to Lily today. I loved you Devon Morgan. I wish I could have realized it when you were here. You'll always hold a special place in my heart, I'll never forget you."

Hickok got up and turned to go back to his horse, a gentle wind blew and he could have sworn he had smelled her perfume and heard her laugh. Closing his eyes Jimmy felt a gentle kiss on his cheek and knew Devon had heard him.

 

The End

 

 

* Authors’ note: Thanks to Ann for the word "Jimmyness"!

Back

FONT>