Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Chapter Eighteen


Lucky is sitting at Ruby's, eating a stack of pancakes.  Liz walks in and joins him at the table.

Liz:  Hi.  I haven't seen you around.

Lucky:  I'm sorry about that.  My dad is in the hospital and I've had some stuff on my mind.  I know I should have called and told you.

Liz:  That's okay.  We're not married or anything.  I figured it had to do with your family.

Lucky:  How have you been?  Nightmares still coming?

Liz:  Just only every time I close my eyes.  I don't know if I'll ever get past this.

Lucky:  You will.  Trust me.

Liz:  I do trust you.  You're the only person I do trust right now.

Lucky:  Then trust me when I say you'll get past this eventually.

Liz:  How did your mom get past her rape?  ***NOTE... Liz doesn't know about Luke raping Laura.  She only knows that Laura was once raped***

Lucky:  I don't know.  I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.

Liz:  Was your Dad there during that period of time for her?

Lucky:  You can say that he was there for the whole thing.

Liz:  So that's where you get it from.

Lucky:  Get what?

Liz:  I don't know how to put it.  It's just that you're the only guy that I could have even told this to, let alone trust.  Actually, you're the only one I feel comfortable confiding in at all.  You've given me all the strength I have to get up in the morning.  Without you, I would probably be curled up in a ball in some corner of my room, not wanting to ever leave there.

Lucky:  All of the strength you have is yours, Elizabeth.  I didn't give you any.

Liz:  But you led me to it.  I wouldn't be here right now, in the open, if it wasn't for you.

Lucky:  I'll do whatever I can to help you through this.  You know that.

Liz:  I know.

Lucky: (looking at his watch)  I am supposed to be at the hospital soon.   My dad's getting released today and I wanted to be there.  Can I walk you home?

Liz:  That would be nice.


Luke is signing his release forms as Laura talks to Bobbie.

Bobbie:  Did you two discuss anything before you left his hospital room?

Laura:  No.  He just got dressed to go and we came out here.  I don't even know what he's thinking right now.

Bobbie:  He'll come around, Laura.  He always does.

Laura:  Bobbie, I just don't know how much I can take before that point.  I'm really being stretched to my limit here.

Bobbie:  He's been stretched to his limit too.

Laura:  I wasn't hinting otherwise.  I know my husband is going through what has to be the worst time of his life right now.

Bobbie:  Then be patient with him.

Laura:  What do you think I'm doing here?  I'm just getting frustrated that he is trying to fix this problem on his own.

Bobbie:  He's doing the best he can.  How would you like it if your son wasn't talking to you?

Laura:  I've lived through that already, but I didn't shut Luke out.  I got the cold stares and the "Goodnight Dads"  even though I was also in the room.  That's what happened when Nikolas came to town.

Bobbie:  You can't even compare the two situations.

Luke overhearing what sounded like a potential fight, thought it was about time he separated those two before they ripped each other's hair out.

Luke:  You know, I usually wouldn't complain about 2 beautiful women fighting over me, but is this really the place to be doing it?

Bobbie just looked at her brother and walked away.  She knew better than to try to defend anything she said or did if it was in disagreement with Laura.

Luke looked over at his wife who took a deep breath to calm down.  He heard everything that was said between Laura and Bobbie and realized that Laura was right.  He was shutting her out and that wasn't a way to get through this.

Luke:  Laura, I'm sorry.

Laura:  She loves you, Luke.  I accepted the fact that Bobbie won't think I'm good enough for you a long time ago.

Luke:  That's not what I meant.  I'm sorry for my part in all of this.

Laura:  So then, are you ready to go home?

Luke:  Yeah.  I'm ready to go home.


Lucky runs into the hospital just as Luke and Laura leave and bumps into Bobbie.

Lucky:  Did my dad get released yet?

Bobbie:  You just missed them.  They left about 10 minutes ago.


Luke and Laura are driving home when Luke stares out the window, a single tear falling down his face.  Laura, looked over at Luke and saw his face through the slight reflection off of the window.

Laura:  What's wrong?

Luke:  Lucky didn't even bother to come by the hospital to see me get released.

Laura:  Maybe there was an emergency and he had to take care of something.

Luke:  Maybe he just doesn't want to see me anymore.


 NEXT CHAPTER

 PREVIOUS CHAPTER


 MAIN PAGE