.
.
 
 
Foolish Pride

by Lori Olsen

Prologue

March 1861 - Sweetwater

It was a cold morning as Jimmy put on his coat and reached for his gloves. Spring was almost here, but winter wasn’t giving up yet as evidenced by the last few weeks. At least it wasn’t raining today. Two days before, the rain turned to sleet and he was grateful he hadn’t been on a run then. 

He was happy to be going now. The roof on the bunkhouse had begun leaking during the storms and needing repairing. There would be those repairs to make, and cleaning to do. It was the cleaning Jimmy was happy to avoid. Rachel was going to make them move everything and clean everywhere. 

He heard Cody yell from outside that Buck was coming in. Roused from his thoughts, Jimmy grabbed his hat and put it on. Moving quickly out of the bunkhouse, he climbed on his horse and spurred it into a run. Catching the mochila from Buck he turned south. On his way out he passed the old Colefield place and noted there was a thin stream of smoke rising from the stovepipe. 
 

Chapter One

“Rachel, Noah and I are going to pick up some supplies in town,” Cody said. 

“And it takes two of you to go?” she asked. 

“Aw, Rachel, I figured once you heard I was headin’ into town, you’d want somethin’ from Tompkins’. If two of us went, we’d be able to split up and be back quicker.” 

“Meanwhile leaving more work for us,” Lou said. 

“Well, Lou, you can’t do anything if we don’t have any nails.” 

“’Cept there’s plenty of cleaning still to do,” Kid retorted. He knew Cody really wanted to get out of that. 

“We’ll be back quick,” Cody said. 

“Don’t worry, we’ll save you some work,” Rachel told him while winking at the others. “You boys be quick.” 

“Sure thing,” Noah said. 

In town the two split up, with Cody moving off to get the nails and other things for the bunkhouse repairs, and Noah went into Tompkins’ store to get the few things Rachel asked for. Cody was on his way to Tompkins to meet back up with Noah when he saw the wagon pull up and the young lady get down. She seemed a little unsure as she looked around and then walked inside. He quickened his pace as he crossed the street. As he came inside he saw the girl talking to Mr. Tompkins. 

“…we’ve just moved in and we need some supplies. I have a list,” she said handing it over. 

“That’s quite a list, miss. It’ll take a little time to fill it.” 

“I don’t mind, I have some other errands to do here. Could you tell me where the feed store is?” 

“I’d be happy to show you,” Cody said, anxious for the opportunity to introduce himself. 

“Well, thank you, Mr. …?” 

“Cody. William F. Cody at your service.” 

“Thank you, Mr. Cody. I’ll be back shortly Mr. Tompkins.” 

“I’ll get to work on your list, may not be ready until tomorrow 'though.” 

“That's alright, thank you.” Turning back to Cody she followed him outside. 

“Cody, we need to be getting back,” Noah said. 

“Now Noah, I’m just showing this young lady where the feed store is.” 

“Mr. Cody, I don’t want to be a bother. If you’ll just point me in the right direction, I’m sure I can find it myself.” 

“Nonsense. Noah, why don’t you start back? I’ll escort Miss …?” 

“Thorne.” 

“Miss Thorne and then I’ll head back to the station.” 

“You’d better Cody, or Rachel’ll have your hide.” Noah climbed on the buckboard and started back to the station. 

“Really Mr. Cody, I don’t want to get you in any trouble with your friend,” she said as they began walking. 

“Nah, Noah worries too much. I figure you must new here, since I haven’t seen you before and you’re buying a lot of stuff.” 

“We are. My family moved here from Ohio. We bought the old Colefield place.” 

“Why that’s just south of the station.” 

“You work for the Pony Express? We heard you were our nearest neighbors. It’s nice to meet you.” She paused and then said, “Well, I see the feed store. You should get back to your friend. Thank you.” Cody watched her make her way to the feed store just leaving him standing there. After watching her walk inside he headed back to his horse. He caught up with Noah halfway back, which Noah found surprising. With a pretty girl in town, Noah figured he and the others would be finishing the chores without Cody. Then the two riders went back and finished working on the bunkhouse. 

“Noah and I met one of our new neighbors,” Cody said after they got back to the station. “Miss Thorne. Her family bought the old Colefield place.” 

“I’d heard it’d been sold,” Teaspoon said. “Didn’t know they was moving in already.” 

“Well, we should call on them,” Rachel said. 

“You’re right, Rachel. After all, it’s the neighborly thing to do,” Cody said. 

*  *  *  *  *

The following morning, Rachel and Cody set off for the old Colefield place. When they arrived, Cody saw the girl working outside. She was now in breeches and an old shirt splitting firewood. She paused when she heard them coming and looked up pushing her hair out of her face. 

“Hello,” she said when they stopped. “Mr. Cody.” 

“Miss Thorne,” he said tipping his hat, then he introduced her to Rachel. 

“Miss Thorne, it’s a pleasure to meet you. Cody told us you were moving in, and we just wanted to introduce ourselves to your family.” 

“Thank you. My father’s working on the well behind the house. The cover needed repairing. Let me get him. You could wait on the porch if you’d like.” 

She quickly moved off, and Rachel and Cody walked up to the porch and waited. The girl soon came back with her father. 

“Pa, this is Ms. Dunne and Mr. Cody. They work for the Pony Express." 

He dusted off his hand and then extended it. “Richard Thorne. Ms. Dunne, Mr. Cody, it’s a pleasure to meet you. Hadn’t had a chance to introduce myself around. Been making some repairs before the rest of my family gets here.” 

“Oh, I didn’t realize they weren’t here. Will they be joining you soon?” Rachel asked. 

“They’ll be coming on the stage in two weeks. Lizzie and I came out ahead to start cleaning things up.” 

“We’d love to meet the rest of your family when they arrive, Mr. Thorne. We could have you over for supper.” 

“Thank you, Ms. Dunne. I’ll pass that along to my wife when she gets here.” 

“If you need a hand with anything, Mr. Thorne, I’d be happy to help out,” Cody offered. 

“Thank you, Mr. Cody, but I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to pay anything. I’m needing to buy some animals and get some crops planted.” 

“Wouldn’t expect you to pay, Mr. Thorne. Just helpin’ a neighbor.” 

“Well, I’ll keep it in mind then. Thank you.” 

“We won’t keep you any longer. It was nice meeting you. Good day Mr. Thorne, Miss Thorne,” Rachel said. 
 

Chapter Two

Three days later Jimmy was coming out of the barn when he heard a rider coming. He looked and saw it was a girl coming from the south. He wondered if this was the Miss Thorne Cody had been talking so much about. He walked over to her horse when she brought it to a stop. 

“Hi,” he said. 

“Hello. Is Mr. Cody here?” she asked. 

“’Fraid not. He’s out on a run. Somethin’ I can help you with?” 

“I’m Elizabeth Thorne, my father and I are new here.” 

“Right, you bought the old Colefield place. Guess we should start calling it the Thorne place.” 

She gave a soft, clear laugh that Jimmy thought sounded almost musical. “Right. Well, Mr. Cody offered to help my dad if needed. We need an extra pair of hands to fix a stall in the barn.” 

“Well, I’d be willing to lend a hand, since Cody’s not here.” 

“You’re sure? We really don’t want to be a bother.” 

“No, just let me get my horse.” 

Rachel came around the corner of the house after having hung some wash up to dry. She saw Elizabeth sitting on her horse. 

“Miss Thorne.” 

Elizabeth turned. “Ms. Dunne, hello.” 

“Everything alright?” 

“Yes, my dad and I needed some extra help. I came to ask Mr. Cody, but I guess he’s on a run. Someone else offered.” She saw Jimmy leading his horse out of the barn, “him.” 

“That’d be Jimmy.” 

“Sorry, I guess I should learn everyone’s names. It was nice to see you again, Ms. Dunne.” 

“Rachel,” she said smiling. 

“Elizabeth.” There was an equally warm smile. 

“You ready?” Jimmy asked. 

“Yes. Bye Rachel.” 

“Bye Elizabeth. See you later Jimmy,” she called out as they headed south. 

When Jimmy arrived back at the farm with Elizabeth, they found her father in the barn. He put Jimmy to work right away, very grateful for the extra help. They made repairs to stalls and the hayloft. After they had been working several hours, Elizabeth’s father gave her a look and she excused herself quietly. 

“Well, James, I think that’s enough for today. Come on over to the house.” 

As they walked out of the barn and toward the house, Elizabeth stepped out onto the porch with a pitcher and three glasses. Jimmy was struck by the dichotomy of Elizabeth. She worked side by side with him and her father and was quite capable as either of them, and got just as dirty, but walking 
out of the house with refreshments she looked as poised and calm as any young lady he’d ever seen. He hardly seemed to notice she was still in dirty pants and a shirt, and she certainly didn’t act like she was. 

“Well James,” Mr. Thorne said, “I certainly appreciate your help today. These repairs are proving more involved than I thought. I’m needing Lizzie’s help more than we figured. She had planned on getting the house in order before her ma arrived.” 

Jimmy took a drink of the lemonade and just nodded. 

“I’m thinking I may need more help here than just Lizzie. Do you think you and some of your friends may be able to help? I know Mr. Cody offered his help.” 

“I think we may be able to help. Teaspoon, ah, Marshall Hunter, probably would think it’s fine.” 

“Marshall Hunter?” 

“Yes. He’s also the way station boss.” 

“Then I’ll come this evening to speak with him.” 

“Alright, I’ll let him know.” 

“Good day then James.” 

“Good day Mr. Thorne, Elizabeth.” 

In the evening after supper, Mr. Thorne rode over to the station while Elizabeth stayed behind to put things in order in the house. Teaspoon agreed that one or two of the boys could go over for a few hours a day to help. 
 

Every day after that, one or two of the riders would go over to help Mr. Thorne. Elizabeth cleaned the house and began to set up her family’s belongings for when they arrived. She would still help outside when she was needed, and when the others weren’t around. The riders got to know Elizabeth and her father very well. Three days before his family was due on the stage, Mr. Thorne left to make some livestock purchases. He left Elizabeth in charge of the repairs that were left. 

Everything was almost ready for his family’s arrival. The barn was repaired, he had a cow to provide milk, and he had horses and mules for the farming. He had repaired the roof on the house and repaired the porch. Elizabeth had cleaned the floors, windows and cupboards. She had set up the beds, arranged the kitchen and was now working on the curtains and other such accessories. 

She was hanging the curtains in the front room when she saw Kid and Jimmy ride into the yard. She stepped out on the porch and watched them tie their horses to the post in front of the barn. 

“Morning,” she said, walking over to them. 

“Morning, Elizabeth,” Kid said. 

“Your father leave already?” Jimmy asked. 

“Yes, left right after breakfast. There’s not much left to do, but he did ask if you could help fix the back of the corral. One of the mules got spooked last night and knocked it loose, so we had to shut them in the barn.” 

“No problem, we’ll get started right now,” Kid said. Jimmy walked over to the shed where Mr. Thorne kept his tools and supplies. After helping for the past week they knew where the things were located. 

“Alright, I’m goin’ to be in the house. If you need any help or anything, just come get me.” 

“Sure thing,” Kid replied. 

“Elizabeth,” Jimmy called out as he walked out of the shed. “Rachel wanted us to invite you over for dinner tonight since your father’s gone. And she said you can stay at the station at night if you’d like.” 

“Thank you. I’d like to come for dinner, but I think I’ll stay here at night. My pa left me in charge and I feel like I should stay here,” she told him. 

*  *  *  *  *

That night as Elizabeth sat in the front room unable to sleep, she regretted having turned down Rachel’s invitation. She went to the station with Kid and Jimmy after they had done the few repairs left around the farm, and was grateful for Rachel’s company along with the other riders. Rachel offered again to let her stay at the station, but she insisted she would be fine back at her place. After Cody brought her back and helped her take care of the animals for the night she went into the house with the intention of going to bed. Hours later she was sitting in the front room by the fireplace listening to every odd sound and regretting her pride which had prevented her from accepting the invitation. 

When the sun rose, Elizabeth was still sitting in the chair; cramped and aching from finally succumbing to exhaustion curled up in the chair. She got dressed and ate a light breakfast before heading out to do the chores for the day. She was pumping water into the trough when she heard horses approaching. Unsure of who it might be she chided herself for not heading her father’s admonitions to keep the rifle by her at all times. To her great relief she realized it was Ike and Jimmy riding into the yard.

“Morning,” Jimmy called out as they approached. 

“Morning,” she said back, barely able to stifle a yawn. 

Rachel was wondering how you were doing, Ike signed. 

“Oh, I’m doing just fine,” she said cheerily after Jimmy interpreted the signs she didn’t understand. She hoped the boys wouldn’t see through her façade. She was so relieved to have some company, but she didn’t want them to know she hadn’t been able to sleep last night. 

“Need any more help today?” Jimmy asked as he and Ike climbed down from their horses. 

“No, I think you’ve done everything my pa wanted done. I was just finishing up with the chores,” she said and dipped a bucket into the trough. She started carrying it up to the house, but her fatigue made her clumsy and it slipped from her hands sloshing to the ground and getting the front of her skirt wet. 

Are you alright? Ike asked her. 

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she said, embarrassed at having dropped the bucket. 

“Why don’t you go get changed and me and Ike’ll finish up here,” Jimmy said as he stooped down to pick up the empty bucket. 

She looked at them, hesitant to accept their offer, but not wanting them to leave either. 

It’s no problem, Ike said, reading her thoughts. She smiled in appreciation and then walked to the house. 

She looked tired, Ike signed to Jimmy after the door closed. 

“I know. I wonder if she slept at all.” Then slapping Ike on the back he said, “well, let’s get started on these chores.” 

When Ike and Jimmy went up to the house after completing the chores, the door pushed open as Ike started to knock. Pushing it open further they saw Elizabeth sitting in the chair, fast asleep. She hadn’t even made it upstairs to change her skirt. Quietly Ike and Jimmy closed the door and stood on the porch. What should we do? Ike asked. 

“I guess we should let her sleep,” Jimmy said softly. “Come on, let’s see if there’s anything else we can help with.” 

Hopefully her father will be back tonight, Ike signed as they walked to the barn. He already sensed that if he wasn’t she would once again refuse to stay at the station with Rachel. 
 

Chapter Three

“Well Lizzie,” Mr. Thorne said as they traveled to Sweetwater, “we’ve done well.” 

“Yes, Pa,” she said. She was grateful her father was back home, and that her mother and siblings were finally joining them. 

“I think your ma will be happy with the house. It looks very nice. You’ll make a lucky man a fine wife.” 

“Think Ma will be happy here?” 

“I think so. I know you weren’t happy about leaving Ohio, but I think you’ll like it here. Your ma was looking forward to the move.” 

“I know. Just seemed sudden,” she said. She wanted to say more, ask if her mother was really getting better. Her mother’s health had not been good the past two years, and the doctor had suggested they move and try a new location. 

“Once your mother finally agreed, we had to get here in time to plant. I’ll begin next week, once your ma is settled. Here we are,” he said as they arrived in town. “The stage should be here soon.” 

“Yes, Pa,” she said. She couldn’t wait for Rebecca to come so she could have someone to talk to again. 

*  *  *  *  *

“Good morning, Mr. Thorne, Elizabeth.” 

“Good morning, Reverend. I’d like to introduce my wife, Elanore, my other daughters, Rebecca, Molly, Kate and my son, Benjamin. They arrived two days ago on the stage.” 

“Welcome. We’re glad you’re here.” 

“Thank you. We enjoyed your sermon, Reverend.” 

“Thank you, Mrs. Thorne. Must be nice to be together with your family again,” he said. 

“It truly is. We’ve all missed Elizabeth and Richard,” she said 

“Well, once again welcome. We look forward to seeing you next week.” 

The family headed toward their wagon and saw Teaspoon standing by it with Rachel. The riders were in standing in a small group by the horses watching the family. 

“Mrs. Thorne? I’m Rachel Dunne, I work at the Pony Express station north of your place.” 

“Yes, my husband and Lizzie have told me much about you. We really can’t thank you enough for all your help.” 

“We were happy to do it. We hope you’ll be able to come this afternoon.” 

“Yes we will, thank you for your invitation.” 

While their parents continued talking with Teaspoon and Rachel, her siblings crowded around Elizabeth looking at the riders. Since they had arrived and their father had told them all about the Express riders and the help they’d done around the farm the younger ones were very anxious to meet the riders. With the younger ones peeking from behind Elizabeth’s skirt and Rebecca and Molly standing shyly to the side of her, she felt they were making quite a spectacle of themselves. Especially since they were so blatantly staring at the riders. Her one small bit of consolation was that the riders were openly staring back. 

“Lizzie,” she heard Benjy say while tugging on her dress, “are them’s the riders?” 

“Are ‘they’ the riders?” she automatically corrected him. “Yes Benjy they are. Do you want to meet them?” 

He looked up at her, then back at the riders, and back up at her. Desire was being tempered by wonder, but it was clear he wanted to meet them. Elizabeth was roused from her attention to Benjy when she heard laughter from one of the riders. Looking up, she saw Noah trying hard to contain his mirth at her younger brother, but starting to fail. 

“Hi,” he said walking towards them. “I’m Noah, and you must be Benjy.” 

Benjy nodded, but remained close to Elizabeth. 

The ice finally broken between the two groups, the other riders came forward and introduced themselves. Her siblings glanced at Elizabeth for guidance, but seeing her friendliness with the group soon put them at ease. 

*  *  *  *  *

“Now you boys mind your manners. We don’t want to scare them off,” Rachel said with a smile. But she also meant it. The riders could show proper manners, but sometimes forgot and needed a reminder. “These folks are from Ohio, and not quite used to life out here.” 

“We will,” Noah told her. 

“Here they come,” Cody said as the wagon pulled up. 

Mr. Thorne stopped the wagon and stepped down, followed by the rest of his family. Rachel shepherded everyone into the house after the riders had been introduced to Mrs. Thorne. As they stepped inside the family saw two tables set, one with benches around it. Rachel remarked offhandedly that they brought the table from the bunkhouse so there would be enough places for everyone to sit. 

The riders, who had already determined where they were going to sit, started moving toward the tables, leaving the family to wait for directions. Rachel directed Mr. and Mrs. Thorne to the main table where Teaspoon, Jimmy and Kid were standing. She ushered Elizabeth and Rebecca toward that table as well. Elizabeth realized the children were going to be separated and wanted to speak up and rectify that. She was used to helping out with her brother and sisters and knew that Benjy and Kate would be too much for soft, quiet Molly to handle. 

She was still trying to figure out how to speak to Rachel quietly when she found herself between Kid and Jimmy with Rebecca seated next to her mother. She looked over at the other table and saw that Benjy was seated between Noah and Buck, Kate between Cody and Lou and Molly near Ike. She wondered if the riders knew what they were in for with her younger siblings. 

“What you lookin’ at?” Jimmy asked quietly under the chatter around the two tables. 

“Benjy and Kate,” she said. “Maybe I should trade places with someone at the other table. That way they wouldn’t have to deal with them. Those two can be quite a handful.” 

Jimmy took a moment to look at her siblings and the other riders. Each one seemed to be laughing and enjoying themselves as much as could be expected. Lou was a little quiet, but that was because she was trying to conceal she was a girl, the exact reason why she had been seated at the table away from Mr. and Mrs. Thorne. Ike was quiet, even for him. He was signing circumspectly to Buck, trying not to draw attention to his hand movements. He had offered to sit at the other table and Buck had decided to sit there as well. Rachel was going to seat him at the table with Jimmy, but he declined, knowing it would make Ike more comfortable to have him nearby. 

Benjy seemed to be the most relaxed of everyone, talking with both Noah and Buck. The young boy was excited to have met real live cowboys and was asking them lots of questions about their horses, which he had seen as the family drove in. Cody was talking and telling stories to Kate, who like her brother was excited to be around cowboys and horses. Lou was beginning to enjoy herself as Cody began drawing her into one of his many tales. For as many times as they chided or teased Cody about his tall tales, he had a natural way of putting others at ease with his humor and it seemed to be 
working at this moment. 

Molly and Ike were the quietest of the bunch. Jimmy knew why Ike was silent and wondered why Molly didn’t seem to be joining in the conversation. Then he saw her elbow bump her glass as she was passing a dish, causing the glass to wobble and spill some of it’s contents. It was a slight act and would have gone unnoticed had Jimmy not been looking directly that way. But immediately the girl had blushed and appeared on the verge of tears, until Ike silently reached over with his napkin and wiped up the spill. 

Molly looked up at Ike with amazement as he helped her, never saying a word, just quietly helping and not drawing attention to it. She didn’t know he couldn’t speak, but his simple act endeared him to her and she told him thank you, speaking so low he could hardly hear her. He smiled back and nodded, all the while wondering if she would ask him something or make some comment on the fact he hadn’t spoken. Instead she just smiled and went back to eating, leaving Ike thinking that the girl’s quietness and shyness reminded him of his sister. 

Jimmy then turned his attention back to Elizabeth, and noted the worry still on her face and the way she sat practically on the edge of her seat as she watched the scene unfold between Ike and Molly. He realized that she had changed since the rest of her family arrived. She had tempered her smile and laugh some and appeared more serious as she looked after her younger siblings and tried to keep them in line. An added weight seemed to be upon her and Jimmy suddenly thought of how his sisters had acted toward him after their mother died. He realized she was acting much the same way. 

“See, they’re doing just fine,” he said quietly to her. 

She gave one last look over her siblings, laughing and eating with the other riders and nodded. Turning her attention back to the others at her table she realized that they were all talking and getting to know each other. Jimmy seemed to be the only one who had noticed the worry now leaving her face. As she started listening to and joining in the conversation, she continued to relax and began to enjoy herself. 

By the end of dinner, the two groups were much more at ease with each other. Friendships were being formed and plans were already underway for them to get together again. The children were excited to know that they would get to come back to the station. Elizabeth was struck by and 
impressed with the way the others interacted and helped with her sisters and Benjy. She had rarely seen them warm up to new people that quickly. 

As the family rode home that evening, Elizabeth reflected on the day. She'd never met a group of people quite like these riders and even after watching them for several weeks, she was still fascinated by their unique family bond, and for some reason she couldn't exactly explain, she was looking forward to getting to know them better. 
 

Chapter Four

Spring was finally in full bloom and the days were warmer, now. In the two months since the Thorne family had arrived, they’d become good friends with the Pony Express workers. The two families got together quite often, much to the delight and enjoyment of everyone. Mr. Thorne had spent some time in Texas with the Army when he was younger, and he and Teaspoon would sit for hours and swap stories. Now the riders had heard Teaspoon’s stories again and again, but the Thorne children gave Teaspoon something he was grateful, a new audience. They had never heard their father’s stories before and would sit in rapt attention as the two men described the adventures from their ‘glory days’. Benjy never fully understood what his father and the grizzled, but kind, marshal were talking about, but as long as the story involved horses then he would sit wide-eyed waiting anxiously for more. 

Benjy loved coming to the station. He loved the Indian ponies the riders had, and now thought his father’s farm horses were dull and slow compared to the Express horses. Whenever they visited, he always wanted to see the horses. Mrs. Thorne worried at first, but soon saw that a rider was always with Benjy and never let him into the corral. All the boys and Lou were very fond of the four year old boy and happily answered his eager questions. However they were all relieved sometimes when he finally went home. Trying to keep up with him and his constant chatter made them relish the calm after the storm. Little seven-year-old Kate loved the horses as much as Benjy did. Mrs. Thorne had first kept her inside whenever they visited saying young girls didn’t run outside, but her husband soon convinced her that things were different in Sweetwater than in Ohio. Soon Kate was bounding outside alongside Benjy and enjoying every minute of scampering around the station, running through the barn and being the tomboy she truly was. She wanted pants and a shirt like Ben because she hated her skirts tripping her up, but Mrs. Thorne had so far refused. She felt it was bad enough when Lizzie wore such clothes while helping her father. That was one part of Ohio she wasn’t quite ready to give up. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Thorne family was settling in quite well to life in Sweetwater. The crops were planted and they knew a few other neighbors. Mr. Thorne thought his first harvest would be promising as long as the rains continued. Late one night he sat in his room talking with his wife. 

“I don’t know Richard, I just don’t think they’re old enough.” 

“Elanore, Lizzie is almost eighteen, next month in fact. And Becca’s sixteen. They’re both sensible girls. With Lizzie watching over her sister, they’ll be alright. Besides, you saw how excited they were when they heard about the dance.” 

“I know,” she said with a heavy sigh. “They, we all, could use a little merriment in our lives. You’ve been working so hard.” 

“No more so than in Ohio. But I wouldn’t want to be there without you.” 

“The others are too young. It’s not like the dance at my sister’s where they were upstairs asleep.” 

“I know Elanore,” he replied. He knew how disappointed his two oldest would be though if they were forced to come home with the rest of the family. “What if I asked Rachel and Teaspoon to look after them and bring them home? Then they could stay for the dance and we’d know they’d be fine.” 

“That would make me feel better. If they agree to it, then I won’t object.” 

“I’ll ride over tomorrow and ask them. Then Saturday, we’ll ride to the Church dinner together, and Lizzie and Becca can stay for the dance.” A small smile tugged at his mouth, pleased that he’d won a tiny victory for his daughters who truly did deserve the chance to be with their friends. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ahhh,” Teaspoon sighed with contentment as he pushed back his plate. “The ladies of the church sure made a fine supper.” 

“I do agree,” said Mr. Thorne, leaning back and smiling. 

“Well, Richard,” Teaspoon said as they stood, “I promise we’ll deliver your girls home safely.” 

“Thank you, Teaspoon. Caroline and I appreciate it. Molly, why don’t you round up your brother? Come along with me Kate,” he said swooping the giggling girl up into his arms. “Your ma is waiting for us.” Then turning to Elizabeth and Rebecca he gave them a smile and a wink and said, “enjoy yourselves girls. You deserve a little fun.” 

“Goodnight Richard,” Teaspoon chuckled, having caught part of the exchange. 

“Goodnight Teaspoon, boys,” he called out as he moved to intercept Benjy and Molly. 

“Well, Miss Elizabeth, Miss Rebecca, shall we?” Teaspoon asked with a lopsided grin and then escorted them into to the dance. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking a moment to pause and catch her breath, Elizabeth stood near the side of the dance floor and watched the others as they glided by. She let her eyes search the room and wasn’t surprised when she discovered Rebecca standing in a small group of moon-struck young men. She had the more outgoing personality of the two sisters, and the boys had always been drawn to her smile and laugh that came as easy to her as breathing. 

Elizabeth inwardly smiled as she realized that Becca wasn’t even aware of the stir she was causing among many of the group. She had golden blonde hair and sapphire blue eyes that danced when she laughed, which was quite often. Being nearly two years older, it would have hurt Elizabeth’s pride 
that Becca had more admirers and dance partners. That is if she thought about it, but Rebecca was too relieved to consider those facts. 

Rebecca was always the one who was happy to stay inside with their mother, but Elizabeth always felt trapped after too long indoors. She longed to be outside with her father doing things with him. Her father understood this, and secretly gave her ample opportunities to put on pants and a shirt and help him out. She dreaded the day when Benjy would be able to do more things outside and she would be confined back inside. Until her younger siblings were older, she knew she would always be needed at home to help her mother. 

“Having fun?” Rachel asked drawing Elizabeth out of herself and back to the party. 

“Oh yes. We haven’t had this much fun in a long time. It’s nice to just catch my breath.” 

“Yes, I’ve seen you dancin’ with quite a few fellas,” she said as Elizabeth blushed slightly and just smiled. “Rebecca sure is enjoying herself.” 

“Yeah, she always does. No matter where she is or who she’s with. That’s probably why she always a crowd around her.” 

“You sound jealous of that.” 

“Do I?” Elizabeth asked, sounding shocked. “I’m not, really. Actually, you want to know the truth? I’m relieved.” 

“Relived?” Rachel asked, truly curious. 

“Yeah, because then I don’t have to be the charming one,” Elizabeth answered as her shoulders relaxed. “Becca was always the one who wanted to stay inside, and I wanted to be outside. As I got older I would help my father outside and I loved it. My ma thought it wasn’t proper, but since I was 
the oldest and there were only girls until Benjy came along she grudgingly allowed me. Now I think she wishes I wouldn’t do it quite so often.” 

“Never mind that being proper and indoors is a boring way to live,” Rachel replied with a twinkle in her eye. She felt like she was gaining some real insight into understanding the young woman standing beside her. 

“Exactly,” she responded quickly. “My mother taught us how to cook, sew, keep house and such, but I love being outside. I look for every opportunity to get out. I didn’t want to leave Ohio and come here, but now I never want to go back. So Becca can have her admirers, I’d rather have a few close friends and freedom.” 

“But you have some admirers. I’ve seen quite a few of the boys here at the dance lookin’ at you,” Rachel said with a smile, and then was taken aback when Elizabeth suddenly looked very uncomfortable. The laugh and the smile instantly faded, replaced by a look of uncertainty. Uncertainty was a look Rachel could hardly remember seeing on Elizabeth. She was usually in quiet control of whatever situation she was in, often looking more mature than her age. 

“They make me too uncomfortable,” Elizabeth said with a shake of her head. “I’d rather have one earnest suitor, than a gaggle of admirers.” 

Rachel gave a small smile that went unnoticed by Elizabeth. She realized another reason Elizabeth was grateful for Rebecca. The focus of the boys was off her. Rachel knew that wouldn’t last long, not if the young men around here were an indication. Elizabeth was a beautiful young woman with fawn colored hair and sparkling hazel eyes. The fact that she was quieter than her sister wouldn’t keep her from attracting her fair share of attention. 

“And why aren’t you two lovely ladies dancing?” Teaspoon said with a grin as he joined them and saved them from further conversation. 

“Just catching our breath,” Rachel replied. Spying Jimmy walking by she called out a greeting. 

“Hi,” he said in a flat voice. His hunched shoulders and hooded eyes made him look like a convicted man resigned to his fate. Dances were not his favorite activity, but Rachel and Teaspoon always insisted he come. 

As the song playing ended and a new one began, Teaspoon caught Rachel’s wink and quick nod and asked her to dance. She happily accepted and as he led her onto the floor he looked pointedly at Jimmy. 

“Jimmy, ahem,” he said clearing his throat and nodding his head towards Elizabeth. 

She blushed furiously and looked down at her feet and gave a nervous laugh. Jimmy shook his head and rolled his eyes before looking over at Elizabeth. 

“Teaspoon’s not very subtle is he?” she asked. 

“I’m not sure he knows the meanin’ of the word.” He paused and awkward silence filled the air around them. “Would you like to dance?” 

She shifted nervously on her feet. “You don’t have to ask just because of Teaspoon.” 

“I’m not,” he said, even though they both knew it was true. “Not entirely anyways. Would you like to?” 

“Alright,” she said with a small shrug of her shoulders and followed him out on the floor. 

They danced through two songs, mostly in silence because their attempts to speak were forced and awkward. However, they fell into a quiet, natural rhythm while they danced. There were no stepped on toes, or fumbled steps, they simply danced together effortlessly and felt no uneasiness about not speaking. At the conclusion of the songs the dance ended and they found themselves stammering for things to say yet again. Elizabeth felt like she was walking in a fog as Jimmy walked her outside to wait for Teaspoon to bring the wagon. She barely registered his hands on her waist as he then helped her up into the wagon; all she felt was the swirling confusion. 

When they reached the end of the street, Elizabeth looked back and Jimmy was still standing on the sidewalk. She didn’t understand why she suddenly felt so uncomfortable around him. All the time working on the barn and the house with him she’d felt at ease. Even all the visits to the station hadn’t bothered her. Tonight at the dance, she couldn’t explain why she suddenly became flustered. When they danced she started out so nervous, but she hadn’t felt that way with Buck or Ike. Perhaps she was too warm, or tired. It had been the end of the dance when he’d asked her. Maybe that was why she couldn’t breathe when she was near him. Now, in the cool, quiet of the night she was feeling much better. By the time they arrived home, Elizabeth felt better, but she couldn’t stop thinking of Jimmy. 
 
 

Chapter Five

Almost three weeks after the dance things had nearly returned to normal for Elizabeth. The family had visited the station several times and the feeling of not being able to breathe when he was around was finally going away. She was once again relaxed around Jimmy as she was around the other 
riders. She was in the kitchen one morning ready to start breakfast when she looked up at the sound of her father coming down the stairs. 

“Lizzie, come outside with me please,” he said with a very tired voice. She set the bowl she was holding on the table and followed him silently to the door. 

“I’ll start it,” Becca told her. 

“Becca, please wait,” her father said. Becca stopped, stunned by the request, and nodded. 

“But I’m hungry,” Benjy said plaintively, knowing only that he was hungry and that breakfast wasn’t being made. 

“Hush!” Becca said as she watched Lizzie close the door. 

“Walk with me to the barn,” her father said when she was outside. Lizzie quickly caught up and waited for him to speak. “I’m going to hitch the mules to the wagon. I want you to get some clothes for you, your sisters and Ben. I’m sending you to the way station.”

“Pa, what’s wrong? Is Ma really that sick?” Lizzie said as she stopped in her tracks. Their mother had been sick before, but this was the first time their father had ever sent them away. 

“I don’t know. The doctor doesn’t know what’s wrong with her. She has a very high fever and he thinks you kids shouldn’t be around here. Now send your sisters and Ben out and get your things.” 

Lizzie fairly flew back to the house trying to keep from panicking. She sent the others outside and went upstairs, moving quietly so she didn’t disturb her mother. She grabbed two carpetbags and began putting clothes in them. She almost made it downstairs when she stopped. Going back up she grabbed Molly’s favorite book, Kate’s doll that she couldn’t sleep without, and the wooden horses that had become Benjy’s favorites. 

When she went outside, the three youngest were in the back of the wagon sitting in a bunch, looking wide eyed at their surroundings. Rebecca was silently helping their father finish hitching the mules. Normally she chattered away when she was working, but now her expression matched the grim one 
of their father. He helped Becca into the wagon and handed her the bags from Lizzie. Then he helped Elizabeth up and passed her the reins. 

Addressing them all he said, “Now all of you mind Teaspoon and Rachel. And stay out of the boys’ way so they can do their jobs. Lizzie, look after your sisters and Benjy. I’m depending on you.” 

“Yes, Pa,” they all softly answered. 

“Good, now go on,” he said and slapped Bunny on her hindquarters. Benjy started to cry as the wagon pulled away without his father, and soon Kate and Molly joined in. Lizzie looked at Becca and both were blinking back tears. They knew they had to be strong for each other and younger three, but inside each girl was terrified. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When they reached the station, breakfast was noisily underway in the bunkhouse. Dishes were clattering and the riders were joking with each other before starting their day. They looked up in surprise when they heard a knock on the door. Buck opened it and saw Elizabeth standing there holding Benjy who was sobbing into her shoulder. 

“Beth?!” he cried. “What’s wrong?” 

Rachel quickly crossed to the door. She saw Rebecca standing behind Elizabeth with Kate and Molly who were also crying. “Good Heavens!” she exclaimed. “Come inside. What’s happened?” 

Elizabeth sank onto a bench with Ben clinging to her. “Pa sent us here,” she answered softly. 

“Is there some kind of trouble?” Teaspoon asked her. He looked toward his gun, ready to leave if there was. 

“It’s Ma. She’s really sick. Pa got the doctor last night. He’s still there now. They don’t know what’s wrong with her so they sent us here,” she said in halting sentences while choking back the tears. A few fell down her cheeks and she quickly brushed them away. 

“Well of course you can stay here,” Rachel said. Then taking in the sad faces of the five children she tried to infuse optimism into her voice. “I’m sure your father and the doctor just didn’t want you to worry.” 

“I’m hungry,” Benjy said raising his head from Elizabeth’s shoulder and seeing all the food on the table. 

“We left before breakfast, I’m afraid,” she said with a small laugh, almost apologetic. 

“Well then, sit down and eat. Boys grab some chairs and make some room. Lou, you better finish up, you’ve got a run.” 

They all sat down to eat and when it was over, Rebecca took the other three outside so Elizabeth could talk with Rachel and Teaspoon. She told them more about her mother and what had happened; telling them her father had told her to pack clothes for them and not to come back unless he sent for them. She was afraid they might be staying with them for a while. Teaspoon said they were perfectly welcome to stay as long as needed. He also said he would ride over in the evening to see how her ma was doing. 

The riders for their part were very helpful in distracting the younger children. Benjy’s favorite person, next to his father, was Buck. Whenever they visited, Benjy was always near Buck. If they happened to be in town at the same time, it was all his family could do to keep Benjy from running across the street or down the sidewalk to throw himself against Buck and wrap his arms around his legs. 

A close rival for Benjy’s affection was Noah. He liked to look at Noah’s whip, though Noah never let him play with it, and he liked Noah’s silver saddle. If ever Noah felt Benjy hadn’t been spending enough time with him, he’d pretend his feelings were hurt and Benjy would become his new shadow. 

Kate’s favorite rider was the Kid. She loved his horse Katy, and Kid often let Kate help brush her. Because Lou was with Kid so often, Kate liked Lou as much as Kid. She didn’t know Lou was a girl, only Elizabeth and Rebecca knew that fact. 

Molly was a quiet and bookish girl who was very intelligent. Her father often said it was a very old soul his little twelve-year-old daughter possessed. Molly much preferred to read and talk quietly with someone. She and Ike had immediately become very good friends, bonding the very first time the family ate dinner at the station. She would read aloud to him while he worked and he taught her sign. She was proving to be a quick learner and reveled in her success. 

With the younger three constantly looked after and entertained, Elizabeth and Rebecca could relax some. They tried very hard to keep cheerful faces and be optimistic, but it was hard. Often at night, alone in the bed they shared, they would cry as they worried about their mother. Everyday on his 
way back from town, Teaspoon would stop to see how their was mother was doing. There was no improvement and now their father appeared to be getting sick. They had been at the station for four days and it didn’t look like they would be going home soon.

Continue to Chapter Six


 
 
.

.