.
.
 
No Place Like Home
by Nell
Disclaimer: The characters of The Young Riders are the copyright of Ogiens/Kane Productions.  This story is for fanfic enjoyment only.  Note:   Some of the dialogue and ideas in this story are not my own work.  They are borrowed from the episodes "The Kid," "Lady for a Night," "Ghosts," and "Initiation."


Prologue

Virginia, 1857

"I got you the money.  Why do you have to leave?"  begged the young woman.

Despair evident in the lad's voice, he expressed, "I can't stay here. There's too many memories."  Looking towards his old shack of a house, he continued, "Too many bad memories."

"There are a few good memories.  Aren't those worth staying for?" pleaded the young lady with tears streaming down her face.

"Those memories I'll keep in my heart.  They ain't goin' anywhere.  Please understand why I have to leave.  I'm not gonna be able to find work here. The money will cover my mama's debts, not give me ownership to the land.  I have no place to call home."  He took the maiden into his arms and embraced
her.

"You could always stay at my place."

"Your daddy would never allow that," he whispered in her ear.   "He'll kill me if he ever found out about the money you gave me anyways.  I promise I'll find a place for us.  I'll earn enough money, find us a little plot of land, and I'll send for ya.  Then we can get married and finally have a life of our own.  No Daddy, no Garth, no bad memories to hamper our life together. We'll finally have a home.  I promise."

Home is what this young man desired the most.  He grew up with an abusive father who thankfully walked out on them.  A brother who was constantly in trouble with the law.  This same brother also took off one day, declaring he was searching for work.  Money however, never showed up.  This young teen endured the responsibility of farming and trying to care for his sickly mother.  His mother lost much of her strength due to the beatings she had herself received from her husband.  This teenager believed that as long as he had his Mama, he was home.  He no longer had that home.  It was ripped out from underneath him.  His heart felt like it was buried under six feet of cold hard earth with his mother.

"Home is where your heart is son.  Home is a place where you're shrouded in love.  Home is where you experience a sense of belongin'.   Always remember that.  I'm sorry that you haven't always had a chance to experience a real home."  His mama's voice echoed in the mind of the15 year old as he was parting his young girlfriend.  The young man never received love from his father, but he always felt at home because of his mama's unconditional and showering love.  Now he was in search for his own home.  A place where his heart could feel peace, love, and belonging.

As the youth continued his hold on the girl, he felt hallow and empty.  The youth thought it was ironic that he didn't feel at home with his love in his arms.  He shrugged off the feeling, rationalizing that it was just the circumstances.  He would feel at home with her when he actually had a physical structure that they could entitle "home."

With that, the young sweethearts kissed and parted.  "Wait Kid, I have something for you."  The young blond woman removed from her blouse a light green broach, about the size of a small biscuit, cast in a gold frame. "Something to remember me by."

Kid kissed the broach in front of Doritha and put it in his shirt pocket. "I'll keep it close to my heart ‘til I see you again."
 

Chapter One

St. Joe, 1858

"What?  You don't need me anymore?" asked Kid.

Carl, the store owner, admitted, "That's what I said.  You're a hard worker Kid, but I don't need a stock boy anymore.  With my son coming of age, he can do the work.  As much as I hate to lose you, I'll save more with my son working."

"What am I going to do?"

"Drift on to the next job.  That's how you found me."

A drifter, that's all this store owner thought of the Kid.  Kid's mind raced.  He loathed the word drifter.  A drifter was someone without a home. Unfortunately, Carl spoke truth.  In frustration, Kid snaked his hands through his hair.  He had spent the last year traveling from job to job.  He'd save a little money, but waste it on his endeavors to find new work. He felt defeated by the fact that he couldn't hold a steady job.  Either the work he'd find was temporary, or it just didn't suit him.  He tried his hand at dishwashing, shoveling manure, and chopping down trees.  Nothing felt right.  He felt obliged to Doritha to find work fast.  But at the same time, he couldn't see himself providing for her with a job that he despised.  He knew from his own father the despair that came with being unhappy by the way one earned a living.

Carl handed Kid several coins. "Here's your final wages.  My wife packed you up a nice lunch for the road."

"Thank you, sir."

Kid walked out of the storehouse, head hung low, shoulders slumped.  He was defeated.  The broach hit his chest as he meandered across town towards the local newspaper.  The broach was beginning to be a burden.  Extra weight that intensified with each passing second.  Every time Kid thought about it, he knew he was that much further from keeping his promise to Doritha. Further devastating, was the idea of not obtaining a home sooner.

On his journey towards the newspaper office, he had to pass the local brothel.  In all reality, it was a fine establishment.  Unlike some of the shady ones he'd seen on his travels out west.  It was built like a hotel,offering the latest in fine dining.  The saloon attached never allowed the bums to enter.  It was a high society brothel.  However, Kid always detested passing it.  Even at a young age, he understood what took place in such establishments.  Remembering the suffering his father inflicted on his own mother, he shuddered that women would have to succumb to such brutal control and circumstances.  In a way, he understood these women.  They had no place to call home either.  This was their way of belonging.  His mother raised him to be a gentleman, therefore he politely refused the offers when he was approached.  Not that he received very many.  Most of the girls stayed inside the establishment.

On one occasion he saw the back of a young girl, with long mahogany hair hanging to her waist, fastening laundry.  This is why he loathed the place. The girl couldn't have been more than 14 years of age.  Kid knew that eventually her innocence would be stolen away from her.  He yearned to go over and tell her to escape, and escape now.  His conscience led him towards her, but as he approached the girl, the owner caught site of him and stared him down.  With cold hard eyes, he threatened the Kid.  His menacing gaze along with his hand on the butt of his gun was the only threat delivered. Kid understood.  Regretfully, he pulled away and continued on his business.

Today, he did not see the girl.  He imagined her slipping out with night's cloak to protect her.  He prayed she was safe and not surviving a life of horror.  Continuing his conquered pace towards the newspaper office, Kid hoped they would have job listings.  At least that would give him a place to start searching for a home.

When Kid arrived, Mr. Matthew MacCallister, the newspaper editor, greeted him with a warm friendly smile.

"What can I do for you today lad?"

"I was wonderin' if you had any job openings, sir."

Matthew's eyes saddened, "Nope, all positions are filled.  You seem strong enough.  The signs of a hard worker.  I'm sorry that I couldn't offer you anything."

The news sent Kid into a swirling mist of frustration.  He sat down on the nearest bench and tears he wasn't even aware of, sprang forth from his eyes. They burned as they cascaded down his chapped, weather worn cheeks.

Matthew MacCallister took pity on the boy.  "I tell you what.  I just got a notice from a Sutter's Ranch outside of St. Louis who's looking for help.  I wasn't supposed to post it until tomorrow.  But seeing that the next stage doesn't leave until tomorrow, I don't see any harm of informing you of it today."

The mist evaporated from Kid's mind.  Hope surged through Kid's entire body. A feeling that he'd long forgotten.  Immediately he stood up and shook the editor's hand whole heartedly.  "Thank you!"
 

Chapter 2

The Next Morning

Kid tossed and turned all night.  He'd wake up in fear that he'd missed the eastbound stage for St. Louis.  The adrenalin rush always woke his fitful rest.  Since he was trying to save money, Kid always slept in the livery, with the hay as his mattress.  The owner only charged him 2 dollars a month for his keep.  Overall, the people in St. Joe were friendly and willing to help out when needed.  Many towns along his journey weren't as kind.  There were countless nights sleeping out under the stars.  Countless, sleepless nights trying to stay warm.  Not wanting to miss the stage leaving at 10:00 a.m., Kid woke when the roosters crowed.

Kid mucked the stalls of the livery as a "thank you" to the owner.  Rolling up his bed roll and carrying a small bag that held his only earthy possessions, he left the livery.  This morning's destination was the Mercantile.  He would need food and supplies for the 300 mile trip.  This wasn't going to be a quick trek.  It would take over a week to cover that much ground.  He wasn't too excited about the prospect of heading eastward again.  The farther west he traveled, the farther away his memories were. But the prospect of holding a steady job was enlightening his spirit.

"Hey Kid, I thought I told you didn't have a job here anymore," Carl said a bit confused.  He had a furrowed brow as he wondered why Kid was at his door before the store opened.

"I'm not here for work, sir.  I'm here to get some supplies.  I'm movin' on. I'll need stage passage to St. Louis please."  While Carl readied Kid's passage, Kid picked up two fresh oranges–rare for those parts, hard tack, biscuits, and a little cheese.  He figured he could pick up more supplies on stops along the way.  He quickly paid Carl and was out the door by 8:30 a.m. He spent the rest of morning sitting on the bench in front of the Mercantile.  That's where the stage would stop.

The stage was known for being punctual.  At 9:58, at least according to Carl, the rusty red stage pulled in.  A grungy cowboy stepped out of the carriage, along with a weather worn grandma.  St. Joe was their stop.  A recently young married couple was already on the stage.  Kid threw his bedroll and small bag to the stagecoach master.  He kept his food and water canteen with him.  At 10:00 the stage started to pull out of town when a female's voice pierced the air.

"Please wait!! You have one more coming."  Kid recognized the woman.  She had dark brown hair all tied to the top of her head.  Her dress was that of a prostitute.  He had seen her outside many times while he passed the brothel.  However, she never approached him.  If he'd catch her eye, she'd smile at him.  But from the looks of things, Kid swore she was trying to spy on someone else as if protecting her young.

A puny young man ran behind her.  Kid believed it was the prostitute's latest customer.  But when the young man stepped inside the coach, he thought differently.  This was no man, but a boy.  The prostitute held the boy's hand through the window.

"Now take care of yourself.  You're strong.  I know you'll make me proud. Remember our dream," the harlot gushed.

The voice trembled, "Will I ever see you again?"

"Of course.  I gotta go, if he finds out what I've done..."

"Thanks for everything."  By this time tears started seeping down this boy's face.  He looked back to find the couple and a 16 year old staring at him. Immediately, he wiped the tears away with his oversized pin striped sleeve. Kid reckoned the mistress must have been this kid's sister.

Within a matter of two minutes the stage was moving along.  Kid finally examined his cabin mate.  He judged him to be around 14.  His chestnut, rounded hat was a little big for him, thus covering his eyes.  The boy had silver, wire rimmed glasses, that contained deep brown eyes behind them. The boy's hair matched that of his eyes.  He wore a tan leather vest and his pants covered well past his boots.  What concerned Kid the most was the dark purple and blue bruise that traced the boy's entire face.  A split lip only matched the beating that this youngster suffered.  Kid figured he was only viewing the "visible" scars.  He gathered that there were more bruises underneath the boy's clothing.   Memories flashed past Kid's eyes of the beatings that he'd endured from his own father.  Even though the physical scars healed, emotional ones continued to linger.  The same was probably true for the lad next to him.

Pushing his memories away, he extended his hand to the chap, "Hello.  Name's Kid."

The fellow never acknowledged Kid's extended hand.  Instead he shrunk back into his seat and leaned as close as he could to the side of the cabin. For four hours the lad stared out the window without moving a muscle.

During this time, Kid discovered that the married couple across from him were on their way to St. Louis to meet the groom's family.  The conversation dragged on and Kid knew way too much than he cared for about this couple. When the couple turned to each other, Kid felt uncomfortable for two reasons.  First, his haunting promise to Doritha nagged like the fly that wouldn't shoo.  Second, the intimacy between the couple was nauseating.

For the first time, Kid noticed the lad shift as well.  He could tell that the couple's cooing was bothersome to the youngster.  He wanted to strike up a conversation with him, but he knew he'd get the evil shrug off again. Trying to occupy his mind with something else, Kid ate some of his cheese and biscuits.  At this point, the couple also brought out their food.

In all the hustle of the morning, the lad forgot to obtain his own food.  He turned occasionally and hungrily stared at the food the other's were eating. Kid picked up on his clues.  Not to offend him by saying anything, Kid just slid over a biscuit, cheese, and one of the oranges.  The boy took notice, nodded his head in thanks, and ate quietly with his head down.

When Kid pulled out his water canteen he wolfed half of it down.  He hadn't realized how dusty the trip would be.  The water soothed his thirst as well as washing out his dusty windpipes.  He wanted to finish it entirely, but knew the boy next to him didn't have the simple necessity of water.  Once again, he maneuvered the canteen towards him.  The boy timidly took the canteen.  He voraciously drank the water.  In a cool voice the boy said, "My name's Lou.  My ma's dead.  And I couldn't care less where my father is."

Kid chuckled to himself as to not offend the boy.  He knew Lou only added the part about his ma and pa because he felt that he owed something to the Kid for sharing his food.  Kid stated, "Well look at that.  We both have somethin' in common.  My ma past away a year ago, and I ain't given a thought to where my pa is since the day he ran out."  Seeing a small smile creep on Lou's lips, Kid flashed a wide smile in return.  Kid knew this boy was starting to trust him.  Somehow he could feel that earning Lou's trust would be difficult, but worth it.

During the course of the trip, Kid and Lou became friends.  Lou's bruises healed slowly, and the "visible" signs were starting to fade.   Kid discovered that Lou was the oldest and that he was looking for work to support his siblings.  They were in an orphanage back in St. Joe.  Basically Lou shared Kid's dream--a place to call home and be with loved ones.  Kid wanted to ask about the bruises and who the prostitute was, but something inside warned him not to tread over that water.

In return, Kid opened up to Lou about his mama, pa, and his promise to Doritha.  Surprise flowed from Kid's face when a longing look appeared in Lou's eyes when he spoke of Doritha.  Kid promised him that he'd find a woman just as wonderful.   That this woman would be honored to raise Lou's siblings as her own.  Kid never asked why Lou gave a slight chuckle at his unbelievable comment.

The discovery that they were both headed for the Sutter Ranch in St. Louis excited the two teens.  The thought of their friendship continuing past the current journey brought a sense of belonging to each other.  For the first time since he left Virginia, Kid had a friend.

Kid noticed that Lou was an avid reader.  Since he had only basic reading skills, Lou tutored him during the unending journey.  They read about merciless gunfighters in an old dime novel.  Kid connected with Dickens' David Copperfield.  David endured the hatred of his step-father and yearned for a place to belong.  Kid endured his own father's hatred, as well as a desire to belong.  Lou had to help him read the Dickens' novel, for some of the words were a bit out of his understanding.  Kid questioned if he felt the same longing for Doritha as David did for Agnes.  Most of all, Kid enjoyed his friendship with Lou.  He was grateful for his companionship and delighted in the knowledge that the friendship would continue.

Finally, St. Louis was on the horizon.  Energy, excitement, and enthusiasm engulfed the two teens.  As they loaded off the stage, they wished the married couple well.  Kid and Lou rushed in anticipation towards the livery. They rented two horses and received instructions on how to get to the Sutter Ranch.  Upon their arrival, neither expected the news that befell them.

A dirt streaked cowhand declared, "The boss only needs one of ya.  All the other positions are filled."

Kid and Lou stared at each other.

"Then neither of us are interested," a determined Lou proclaimed.

"Whatever suits your gander.  You're not the only ones lookin' for work."

Kid pulled Lou aside, "Lou, are you crazy?  You should take the job."

"But Kid, we planned to do this together."

"I don't need the job as bad as you do.  You need to get your brother and sister out of that orphanage.  From what you told me, life in the orphanage is no life at all.  Besides, I can always find another job.  Heck that's what I've been doin' the past year."

Lou hung his head down in defeat.  He regretted taking the job from Kid, but he also knew that Kid would not back down. "But then I would be deserting you."

"Nah, I'm a born drifter.  I'll be fine."  Kid was shocked that he actually used the word drifter.  However, he knew those were the only words that would console Lou.

Intimidation entered Lou's voice.  "Kid, I'm afraid.  I'm afraid to do it by myself."

Kid saw the fear emanating from Lou's eyes.  He often forgot that the boy was two years younger than him.  Lou was still a child.  "Now look, your friend in St. Joe said you were strong.  I believe that too.  How could two of us be wrong?  You're gonna make her proud.  Now buck up and show them you're a man, not a kid."

Lou tried to hide the laughter building inside, but couldn't control it.  He started to snicker uncontrollably.

Kid felt like he was missing some kind of inside joke.  "Why are you laughing Lou?"

His chuckles dissipated.  "You're not a man yet.  You're still a kid.  Get it?  The Kid?"

Kid found his own last statement rather amusing, but not to the extent to which Lou expressed.  There was something Lou was hiding, but he couldn't put his finger on it.

"Hey mister," Lou yelled.  "I'll take the last job."

"Follow me then," the cowhand answered.

Lou shook Kid's hand.  "Thanks for everything.  I owe you a lot."

"You don't owe me nothin' Lou."

"Ya I do.  You've shared everything with me, including hope.  Just when I thought I had lost it.  I hope that you find your dream."

"You're welcome Lou.  You'd best get goin'.  Maybe we'll bump into each other again someday."

"I hope so Kid.  ‘Bye."

"Bye, Lou."
 

Chapter Three

Nebraska Territory, 1859

Kid lay in the mud, beaten to a pulp, his money and horse stolen.  He didn't feel much pain, for he was drunk as a skunk.  The only possessions the thieves left were the brown pants, tattered white shirt, and leather vest he wore.  He had started pinning the broach inside the hidden pocket of his brown vest back in St. Louis.  As Kid moaned he felt the lump inside his vest.  He cursed.

"Why couldn't you have found the danged broach too, and rid me of my burden?"  No one but the rats in the alley way heard his cry.

After leaving St. Louis, Kid had to get as far west as he could.  Returning eastward to St. Louis was a big emotional mistake.  It only caused the broach to hit harder against his chest.  However, there were two good things that came from the trip.  First, was meeting Lou.  Unfortunately, Kid's friendship with him was ripped away just like everything else in Kid's life. Second, he finally found a constant companion who would always stay by his side–his faithful horse Katy.

On his way back to St. Louis, he wandered the streets.  Hunger filled his belly and the desire to find work gnawed on his bones.  Spending his last saved dollar on the horse rental to go to Sutters Ranch, Kid was broke. When he returned the horses that Lou and he borrowed, he fell in love.  In the livery was a beautiful brown and white paint mare.  Kid connected with the animal as did the animal with him.  As if floating, he found himself approaching the horse.

"She's twenty-five dollars.  You can't afford her, so no touching," came a gruff voice from within the shadows.

"What if I worked for her?"

"Don't need anyone workin' for me.  So git on out of here."

Kid left with a mission in mind.  He had to get that horse.  While straggling the streets he noticed a professional Irish boxer named Johnny McClarnen.  He was entertaining the crowded streets as well as making a profit on the bets that were placed.  If any man was left standing in the ring with him after three minutes, their prize was $30 dollars.  Kid could have Katy, along with a nice meal to fill his belly.

Kid knew how to fight.  He and his brother Jed would fist fight quite often growing up.  Jed wanted to teach Kid how to protect himself.  Kid learned how to duck at swings, and find the opponents weaknesses within seconds. Eventually, the lessons paid off and Kid became a skilled fighter.  Kid no
longer took his father's abuse, and began defending himself.  It was not long after that his father walked out on the family.

Although Johnny McClarnen's size and strength dominated Kid's, Kid was able to out maneuver him during the first 2 minutes of the match.  People mocked him saying he was running away from the fight.  Others cheered and praised his orchestrated motions.  During the fight, Kid was hit several times. With 30 seconds left, Johnny threw a left hook into Kid's unsuspecting face and a right punch to his stomach.  Kid fell like a rag doll into the mud ring.  Picturing Katy in his mind, Kid mustered all the strength from his muscles, bones, and mind.  With two seconds left, Kid stood up.  He had won the $30. He had won Katy.

Now his beloved horse was gone as well.  Kid had nothing but the memories of Doritha waiting on what were now empty promises.  Feeling vanquished, he no longer had hope, desire, or strength to carry on.  Turning his drunken body over, Kid looked upward and wished on the stars for either death or a
miracle.

During the past year Kid only wanted to do what was right.  He used Katy to travel further west to find work.  Once again, work was either temporary or not to his liking.  He was a blacksmith apprentice, a carpenter, a laundry worker, a cook, a fence mender, a newspaper boy, and he even tried his hand
at bar tending in a no name town in the Nebraska Territory.  That's what led him to his current situation.  Kid was frustrated with how his life was turning out.  He still had no one and no place to call home.  Many times he saw men, and even an occasional woman, drink their sorrows away.

Tonight was his night off.  He walked into the saloon and ordered a whiskey. It burned his throat as it trickled down.  Others laughed at his youth and naivety about the drink.  With his pride damaged and in need of repair, Kid drank another with guile.  He sat down at a game of cards.  This was it, he decided.  He was going to win his fortune and start a life for himself and Doritha.  It must have been beginners luck, because Kid's winnings totaled $300 dollars.  Of course he was accused of cheating, but a fellow at the table silenced the others.  The men respected the man named Henry sitting at the table.  Even though drunk from too many whiskeys, Kid knew it was time to quit.  Flying high, the whiskey gave Kid a false sense of happiness.  For the first time, he felt no pain.  He thought it ironic that for the past two years his drifting got him no where, yet in two hours he had enough money with which to start a life.

Walking towards the livery, Kid decided to leave town that night.  The sooner he was gone, the better.  He was on his way east.  He would marry Doritha, and they would start a home together.  As Kid pulled Katy out of the livery, two men jumped him.  Dragging him into the alley way, the men beat Kid mercilessly.  Drunkenness overbearing him, Kid couldn't even defend himself.  In two minutes, his horse, his money, and his dreams were gone.

Not recognizing his surroundings, Kid woke up.  It took a few moments for him to realize he was in a hotel room.  His head throbbed as if a million horses stampeded across the prairie of his head.  As he sat up, the first thing he did was run to the wash bin and empty out what little contents were in his stomach.  He noticed a glass of water next to the bin and greedily drank the water to try to rid the acid taste out of his mouth.

"That'll teach ya not to touch th' poison again, lad."  A man in the corner stated softly with a thick Irish accent.

However, to Kid, it was like someone screaming at the top of his lungs.  The man's words rang true as Kid nodded towards the voice.   Kid promised himself to never to drink whiskey again.

"Do ye have a name other than Kid?" the corner voice questioned.

With heavy feet, Kid walked back to the bed.  Carefully maneuvering the pillows behind him, he sat down with his back against the base board.  Not knowing who this man was, Kid knew he could be trusted.  The man's voice held no threat.  Besides, Kid had no earthly possessions for the man to take, other than the broach.  At this point he couldn't care less if he took that.

"Folks just call me Kid.  Where am I?  Who are you?"

"You're in th' hotel attached to th' saloon where ye work.  Th' name's Henry.  Henry Dunne."

"You were at the table with me last night.  Look mister, I didn't cheat, and I don't have any of your money."

"I know that lad.  Ye had what they call beginner's luck.  Unfortunately, most men don't take t' kindly on those who win most of their earnin's, cheatin' or not.  I'm sorry for what they did t' ye lad.  They're most likely in the next town by now cheatin' some poor fool out of their cash."

Sounding crushed, Kid remarked, "They took everything, including the money I had already saved."

"How much did they take from ye?"

"Four hundred, plus my horse.  I could care less about the money, but the horse is life to me."

Smiling, Henry announced, "Well, I wouldn't be to sure about that now. Seems to me that yer horse is pretty devoted to ye.  Don't ye own a brown and white paint mare?"

Kid immediately sat forward, "Katy?"

"I figured she belong'd to ye.  After I put ye up here, I noticed a horse wanderin' around.  Th' town was quiet.  No one else was around.  I figured she must have been yers."

Relieved, Kid grinned and slouched back into the pillows.  Maybe all was not lost.  During the rest of the day, Henry nursed Kid's wounds, hangover, and pride.   For some mysterious reason, Kid was drawn towards this man. Feeling safe, Kid trusted Henry Dunne and opened up to the man.  By the end
of the day, Henry Dunne knew all of Kid's secrets and desires.

In despair, Kid stated, "I'm not sure what I'll do next.  I keep drifting, and that's all I'm good at.  I'm no closer to getting a home than when I left Virginia two years ago."

Just as Kid became attached to Henry, Henry was interested in the young man. "Look, I have a small homestead in Blue Creek.  I live alone, and I sure would appreciate a young man of yer strength to help me run it.  Besides, I'm gone quite a bit.  I love t' gamble.  Bad habit of mine.  So I would need someone to look after things while I was away.  I'm not promising anything just yet, but if ye prove to be the kind of worker I know yer are, I may just be willing to sell some of my property to ye in the future."

Kid couldn't believe his luck.  Just when he thought he lost everything, this man whom he'd only known for 36 hours was offering him the world on a platter.  The only word that ran through Kid's mind was...home.

The months that followed brought true happiness that Kid only felt in the presence of friends and family.  A happiness he only felt once since his mama's passing and leaving Virginia.  That happiness came with Lou. Thinking back on Lou, Kid prayed that Lou had a home of his own.  A place for him to belong and to raise his siblings.   Feeling content, Kid felt like he belonged with Henry.  Henry was the father that Kid never had. Complimenting Kid on the many skills that he'd attained, Henry once said,
"It looks as if yer drifting days have paid off.  Ye acquired the basic skills for everything that it takes t' run a homestead.  Ye even cook well."

Being an expert when it came to the gun and rifle,  Henry taught Kid all of his tricks and sharp shooting.  Mastering the skills, Henry surprised Kid with a revolver for his birthday.  Even though most of Kid's keep was room and board, Kid saved every cent he could.  Musing the prospect of buying part of Henry's land, Kid came to the realization that he needed an extra job.  One night at dinner, Kid approached Henry with that topic on mind.

"The restaurant in town needs a new waiter.  I sure could use the extra money.  How would you feel if I took the job?"

"That's up to ye lad.  Do ye think ye could keep up with yer duties here and work nights?"

"Yes, sir.  And if you think I'm slackin' off in any of my duties here, I'll quit."

Smiling Henry pronounced, "Sounds like ye already made up yer mind." Raising up his glass of milk, Henry declared, "Here's t' Kid's new job.  May it bring him his heart's desire."

Happiness radiated from Kid's eyes and smile.  He lifted his glass up as well.

That night as Kid started drifting off to sleep, he was grateful that his drifting was left to sleep and not to wandering the country.  He never felt more content or at home in his entire life.  He belonged to Henry, to Blue Creek, and to the homestead.
 

Chapter Four

Blue Creek, 1860

A new addition to the Dunne household was added.  Henry had left one night for his weekly card game returning home with a glint in his eye.  He met a voluptuous woman with strawberry blond hair at a card table.  A  month later, Rachel Phelps was introduced to Kid as Henry's wife.

Living with Henry and Rachel Dunne was utopia for Kid.  He loved working on the homestead.  A bit of farming and working with horses suited him.  The idea of working his own land someday gave Kid the desire to continue working at the local restaurant.  Even though being a waiter was not ideal, Kid knew it was the means to acquire a home of his own.  He wanted for himself what Henry and Rachel had–love and respect for each other.

Riding into town for work, Kid had to pass the brothel house.  Sometimes he would take the long way to town to avoid the house.  Lately he and Rachel were becoming more acquainted with each other; their conversations would cause Kid to leave later than planned and forced him to ride past the cathouse.  Never stepping inside the establishment, Kid knew the face of each girl that worked there.  He even knew the regular customers.  Blue Creek was small enough that minute details were never overlooked.  Passing by the brothel each day was no exception to this rule.

One particular day, Kid noticed a stranger in the restaurant.  The gentleman seemed high class, dressed in a fine suit.  He had a slight accent that Kid never heard before.  He tipped Kid well and bragged about himself and the insurance company he worked for.  Kid had no clue what he spoke about, but didn't mind because of the big tip.  The fella called himself DeWitt and explained to Kid that he'd better get used to his face because he would be in town for a while.  Kid grew excited; more big tips meant more money saved.

However, his excitement soon faded when he observed Mr. DeWitt's poor choice in  entertainment – a romp at the brothel.  The next day as Kid rode past the brothel, he observed the girl he'd nicknamed Hope.  She had a gray cloud above her along with black and blue bruises scattered about her face and arms.  Since he didn't know their real names, Kid had a nickname for each of the prostitutes.  Putting two and two together, Kid inferred that it was DeWitt's handiwork.  The regular customers never roughed up the girls to the extent of Hope's brutal wounds.  DeWitt was no gentleman.

Refusing the to serve the man, Kid asked another server to wait on DeWitt. The waiter jumped at the opportunity after learning how much DeWitt had tipped Kid the night before.  Bile rose in Kid's mouth each time he saw DeWitt or heard his voice.  Kid knew men like DeWitt were the cause of death to many fine and wonderful women.  His mother was such an example.  Kid hoped deep down that DeWitt would soon be leaving town. Rachel and Kid drove the wagon into town mid-afternoon the following day to pick up supplies.  Whispers permeated the air.  Finally overhearing one gentleman, Kid took notice of the stranger at the end of the his directed finger.  Standing across the street was a petite young woman with short dark hair, wearing the striped pink dress and hat from Paris that had been in the dress makers window for a week.  Her features were simple, yet beautiful. The short hair struck Kid as odd.  Not many women dared to have such a hairstyle.  Both Rachel and Kid thought this woman was either courageous or something terrible had happened to her hair that forced her to wear it that style.

Kid felt an uncanny connection to this stranger.

"I'll be right back Rachel."

"Where you going Kid?"

Kid ignored her question for he himself didn't understand why he was about to approach the young woman.  The lady was adjusting her hat in front of a dirt stained window.  Kid was no more than three feet away when Mr. DeWitt charmingly complimented her.  Stepping back, Kid was astonished.  He had met this woman somewhere, but couldn't pin point the time or place.  To make matters worse, she was conversing with the devil himself.  Realizing something was wrong, Rachel grabbed Kid by the arm and pulled him away.  Kid voiced his concerns to Rachel.

"She looks smitten with that fella.  Until you figure out who she is, she won't believe a word you have to say."

"Rachel, I have to warn her that DeWitt is no gentleman."

"Do you have proof that that DeWitt fella is the one who abused the prostitute?"

Shaking his head in frustration Kid replied, "No, but the fact that he entertains himself at the brothel should give me enough cause to warn the lady."

"She won't believe a word you're saying Kid.  The way he is smooth talking her right now is enough proof that he's in the right and you're in the wrong.  I know this is hard, but I've been there.  Come on, let's get our supplies so I can head home and you can get to work."

After loading the wagon, Kid helped Rachel take her seat.  He untied Katy from the back and tied her to the nearest post.  Waving, Rachel yelled, "See you back tonight."

Entering the restaurant, the cook informed him that the other server was ill.  It was going to be a long night for Kid doing double duty.  Taking a glance across the tables, he noticed Mr. DeWitt.  What he saw next to him caused Kid's stomach to flip flop.  Where did he recognize her from?  When Kid approached the table, recognition in the woman's eyes was evident too. Although she didn't voice it, she immediately hung her head down in hopes that Kid would not recognize her.  She became uncomfortable and fidgety. Taking notice of his date's behavior as well, DeWitt quickly requested that
the other server wait on them.  Both members of the party were disappointed that they were stuck with Kid.

DeWitt ordered quickly so not to inflict any more awkward feelings upon his date.  Twenty minutes later, Kid brought out their food along with a bottle of wine.  The young woman held her head low and cast up her brown eyes only once.  It was that small motion that caused the revelation to hit Kid.  He'd
seen it before.  It was the same motion of the eyes behind silver, wire rimmed glasses.  The same action that was transferred when Kid offered food to an orphaned 14 year old on a stage two years ago.

Kid's mind screamed, "LOU!"  It was unmistakable now.  Kid knew it was Lou. Within two seconds, pieces fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.  She traveled alone, thus dressing like a boy to protect herself.  Her short hair.  Her strong desire to raise her siblings.  Her laughing at Kid when he mentioned
"...show them you're a man."   What was she doing in Blue Creek?  As this inspiration hit Kid, he lost his balance, tripped over his own shoes and sent DeWitt's and Lou's dinner flying through the air.  Most of it landed on Lou.

Lou realized that Kid recognized her.  She was actually grateful for the spilled food.  This gave her an excuse to leave.  Facing Kid and revealing her secrets to him was not what she wanted at the current moment.  She was enjoying her royal treatment from this stranger too much.  Why did life have to be so difficult she thought.

DeWitt was furious, but did not want to show his temper off to his date.  He pulled Kid aside and chastised him.  "You are a complete idiot.  How could you cause such a clumsy misdeed?  I will speak to the owner and have you fired."   Immediately, DeWitt's focus turned to Louise.  Just as any sweet
talking gentleman would, he made sure she was okay.

As Kid attempted to clean up the mess, DeWitt intervened and told him to leave.  The owner arrived when the commotion erupted.

DeWitt declared, "This young man has failed at his job sir.  He not only made my companion feel uncomfortable, but he spilled our entire meal on her. Sir, I suggest you take immediate action."

Kid implored, "It was an accident sir.  I didn't mean no harm."

"Yes, it was just an accident," Louise spoke.  Although she was feeling uncomfortable about the entire situation, she didn't want Kid to lose his job because of her secret.

"An inexcusable accident I may say," added DeWitt.

"Kid, I'll take over your shift.  I think it's best if you leave now," the restaurant owner calmly stated.

By the tone of the owner's voice, Kid knew he wasn't going to be fired, but in order to please the customer, he knew he'd not be back to work until DeWitt was out of town.

With betrayal written in his eyes, Kid spoke, "I'm sorry miss.  I didn't mean to startle you so."  Louise saw his hurt expression and understood he was speaking of his shock more than the incident of food spilling on her.

Cleaning up as best she could at the restaurant, Louise finished her meal and date with Mr. DeWitt.  Although Kid was close on her mind, she enjoyed the special treatment she was receiving from this man.  It had been along time since she stepped into a dress and played her true identity.  It felt good to be treated like a lady.

Kid however, did not go home.  He waited and watched for the couple to exit the establishment.  He followed them to the hotel.  Outside, he witnessed a kiss pass between DeWitt and Lou.  Once again bile rose in his throat.  He hated DeWitt for the man he was.  Lou deserved better than him.  Kid also
experienced an unidentifiable feeling.  An anger coursed through his body and he couldn't figure out where it came from.

Noticing DeWitt walk into the night, Kid walked into the hotel.  There was only one hotel in town, so Kid figured DeWitt was on his way to the brothel.

"May I please have the room of Lou McCloud?" Kid asked the tired desk clerk.

"What business do you have with him?"

"We're childhood friends.  I heard he was in town.  Please, I'm anxious to see him again."

Kid raced up the stairs and approached Lou's door.  Feeling apprehensive, he stopped himself from knocking.  Feeling hurt because Lou never revealed her identity to him, Kid wasn't sure how or what to say to her.  As he recollected the incident at the restaurant, the revelation hit again.  There was an explanation for her secret life.  He would not let his disappointment condemn Lou for something she obviously felt necessary doing.   Composing himself, Kid rapped on the wooden door.

"Who is it?" a gruff voice answered.

Smiling at the Lou's voice charade, Kid repeated the same words when he first met Lou on the stage.  "Hello.  Name's Kid."

From behind the closed door he heard, "My name's Lou.  My ma's dead.  And I couldn't care less where my father is."

Opening the door slightly, two doe eyes peered and a slight smile emerged between the cracks.  She was still clad in her pink dress.  Realizing he was falling into her dark pools, it was the first time Kid noticed how deep and intense Lou's eyes were.  Embarrassed by the circumstances the entire night
brought, Lou opened the door to let Kid enter.  They stood silent facing each other, sizing up the changes that occurred during the past two years. The greater shock of course was in Kid's favor.

Breaking the silence, Lou finally spoke.  "I guess you're wonderin' why I didn't tell ya."

"Yeah, I guess you could say that."

"Life isn't always pretty Kid, you know that.  Terrible things happened to me and the only way I could survive at that time was to become a boy. Believe me, there were times when I wanted to tell you.  But that would be letting my guard down.  I couldn't afford to do that.  I know you're wonderin' what happened to me to cause such drastic measures, but as a friend, I ask you not to at this time.  That is, if you still consider me your friend."

Sighing Kid grabbed Lou's hand.  "You were the first friend I made on my journey.  I won't let a slight case of mistaken identity ruin that.  It's gonna be different now that you're a girl."

"Uh, I've always been a girl Kid."

"That's not what I mean, you know it.  May I ask, what is your real name?"

"Louise.  Louise McCloud."

"Nice to meet you Louise."

Lou pushed Kid's hand out of hers and swatted him.  "You've met me already. It's still me."  Motioning for Kid to take a seat on a nearby chair, Lou sat herself on the bed.  "What has the past two years brought for you Kid, besides losing your job at the restaurant?  Sorry about that."

"Don't worry about my job.  The owner trusts me.  I just won't be able to go back until that DeWitt fella leaves."  Even the mention of DeWitt's name brought overwhelming nausea.   Pointing to her dress, Kid continued, "I'm sorry about your new dress."

"Think nothin' of it.  Besides I know someone who'll make it good as new. Do you have a place here in Blue Creek?  Is Doritha finally with you?"  The mere mention of Doritha's name was a slap in the face for Kid.  His time with Henry and Rachel caused him to forget about Doritha.  She was buried in the dark closet of Kid's mind.  He even stopped carrying the broach with him.  Shaking off the cobwebs of Doritha's memory, Kid related the past two years of drifting and meeting Henry Dunne.

"Sounds like you got yourself a great family.  Looks as if your dream is reality now, everything but Doritha I mean."

Not wishing to discuss Doritha, Kid changed the topic back onto Lou.  "What about you?  What was Sutter's Ranch like?  What brings you to Blue Creek? Do you finally have your sister and brother?"

"Sutter's Ranch was a hard learning experience.  But I became independent and learned anything from anyone who'd teach me.  I'm a pretty good shot Kid, so watch your step," Lou said with a wink and a smile.  "I've become an excellent rider and even own a horse.  I was at Sutter's for a year when they sold the place.  The new owner didn't want any of the old staff around. I didn't have enough saved yet to start a home for Teresa and Jeremiah, so like you I drifted for a bit.  I did visit them about two months ago.  But that's an entirely different story and deserves to be heard another time. Like you, I've finally found a job where I belong.  We're a sorry sort of bunch, but we'd die for each other if it was ever necessary."

Kid was happy for Lou, yet he also felt like he was homesick.  Not understanding this sensation, he pondered his life with the Dunnes.  It was heaven and perfect, so why feel homesick?

"What kind of job do you have?"

Even though they only knew each other for such a short time, Lou knew Kid would not like her current occupation.  "Well, do you remember when you asked me if I was a kid or a man?"  The memory flashed through Kid's mind like it was yesterday and he nodded.  "I've proven myself to be a dang good
man.  I work for Russell, Majors, and Waddell."

In shock, Kid stood, "You work for the Pony Express?  Please tell me you're just a hired hand."

"No Kid, I'm a rider for them."

"They let women ride?"

Anger was boiling inside of Lou.  Kid had no understanding what her life was like or the family that Lou belonged to back in Sweetwater.  "As a matter of fact, no they don't.  My express family knows my secret, and they honor that secret.  Russell, Majors, and Waddell would fire me if they knew."

"Isn't there something else you could do?"

"Why should I?  I've already proven myself just as good, if not better than the other riders."

In concern and frustration Kid yelled, "It's too dangerous Lou.  You should think about Teresa and Jeremiah."

"How dare you accuse me of not thinking about my family.  They're the reason I ride.  I make pretty good money.  In time I will have enough to start a home.  What else is there to do for a young woman?  Scrubbing floors, or worse?  Do you want me to become like my friend Charlotte back in St. Joe?"

With those stinging words, Kid tried to calm down.  Prostitution was not a life for his precious friend Lou.  However remembering the harlot, brought images of Hope's beaten face to Kid's eye.  DeWitt's name resurfaced and Kid spoke, "Well one thing's for sure, if you hang around that DeWitt fella
that's where you'll be leading to."

"How dare you!"

"Calm down Lou, I'm just trying to warn you."

"Since you haven't caught the clue by now, I guess I'll state it for you.  I don't need any warnings.  I can take care of myself.  I don't know what you got against Tyler, but he happens to be a nice gentleman who knows how to treat me like a lady.  Something at which you have no comprehension of at this moment.  I'm not the 14 year old little boy you met two years ago. It's late, and I'm asking you to leave now."

"That's not what I'm saying Lou.  Please listen to me!"

"I don't owe you nothin'!  Go!"  She quickly got up and opened the door.

This did not turn out the way Kid expected.  He wanted to lead Lou away from DeWitt, not make her run to him.  Giving up and understanding that Lou needed to calm down, Kid walked out devastated.  He hated the nagging feeling that he'd just lost his best friend.  He needed to make amends with Lou, but wasn't sure how he was going to it.  As he passed her he calmly stated, "I just don't trust him.  Please be careful."

Lou's heart softened as she heard Kid's parting words, but she still let him walk out.  Unbeknownst to Kid, Lou didn't trust Tyler DeWitt either.  Her station master, Teaspoon, sent Lou to Blue Creek to investigate recent robberies within the company.  Although dressing up and being treated like a lady was a bonus for Lou, she couldn't help but suspect Tyler.  At dinner, Tyler drawled on about insurance and shipping schedules.  He was the obvious prime suspect.  She actually wanted to tell Kid about the current situation and ask for his help, but when he insinuated prostitution, her temper flared.  Laying in bed, Lou calmed down.  She needed Kid's friendship back. Besides Charlotte, he was her first real friend and she trusted Kid.

The next morning, clad in her riding clothes, Lou rode out to the Dunne homestead.  She met the woman Kid called Rachel.

"Morning, what can I do for you?"

"I was looking for Kid.  Is he here?"

"Well he and my husband are out in the fields.  Can I offer you something?"

"No, I'm fine.  Would you tell him Lou stopped by?"

"Of course."  Rachel could not help but notice the apprehension in Lou's eyes.  Something did not feel right.  Leaving the laundry in a mountainous heap, Rachel rode out and told Kid of Lou's visit.  Without any explanation, Kid took off on Katy.

When he reached town, Lou was not in her hotel room.  He scoured Tyler's room and his heart sunk.  On the floor were Lou's glasses.  Getting help from Henry and the sheriff, Kid was on pursuit.  He tracked them to pond about a mile outside of town.  Apparently Tyler and a group of outlaws were
scheming to rob a shipment of gold that was about to pass through Blue Creek in an hour.  DeWitt's eyes held no mercy.  Kid watched in horror as Tyler murdered a man because he'd dare say "no" to him.  Fear for Lou's life engulfed him.  His friend was finally back in his life, and the homesick feeling he'd felt the night before tormented him.  He couldn't lose Lou this way.  Shifting his weight back and forth, Kid watched and waited restlessly for the signal from the sheriff.

Watching Lou the entire time, Kid realized just how independent she really was.  She showed no fear and stood up to the blows Tyler inflicted.  For some odd reason, Tyler cut the binding cords that held Lou's hands. Finally, the sheriff gave the signal and the attack began.  Tyler escaped and Lou was on his tail, with Kid on her's.

The riding skills Lou acquired paid off, and she jumped Tyler.  Lou had the upper hand as she was able to retrieve Tyler's gun.  Kneeling on the ground, Lou cocked the gun and aimed it at Tyler's heart.   Tyler tried to work his gentlemanly ways with her.

"Stop right there!"

"You can't shoot me Louise.  You like me too much."

"You're sick!"

Not believing her words, Tyler approached.  Without a second thought, Lou pulled the trigger.  Tyler looked down at his bloodstained shirt and back at Lou in shock.

"Don't be surprised.  You had it coming," Lou breathlessly said.

Kid rode up just as he saw Tyler fall into the sand.   He approached Lou carefully, touching her shoulders softly.

"I'm okay Kid," she said, not really believing the words herself.  Kid helped Lou stand and wrapped his arms around her.  With a rush of emotional relief, Lou dropped the gun and cried into Kid's chest.  With Lou in his arms, Kid had an overpowering sense of belonging.

* * * * * * * *

"I guess Tyler was the one who stole from the Pony Express after all?" Kid inquired of Lou.

"Yep.  I want you to know that I really didn't trust him myself.  I was just angry at you."

"Sorry for implying that you couldn't take care of yourself.  I really respect you Lou.... Louise.  You sure proved me wrong.  Remind me never to cross you.  Unfortunately for DeWitt, you are a good shot," Kid sheepishly smiled at his friend.

Lou returned his smile.  "Thanks Kid for everything."

"I didn't do much."

"You're my friend and you were there when I needed you."

"Come back and visit?"

"I'll try.  You should come to Sweetwater.  I have a feeling that you'd fit right in.  Hey, you could always write you know."

With a final hug, and a kiss on Kid's cheek, Lou pulled herself on top of her horse, Lightning.  Kid watched in amazement as the other express rider came barreling toward's Lou.  He threw the brown leather bag and Lou received it with ease.

"Ride safe Lou!"

Continue to Chapter Five


 
 
.
.
.
 
.