Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Disappearing PCBV Components

<x-flowed>
On 10:12 PM 25/09/2000 +0100, Ian Phillips said:
>Sorry to repeat this question
>

>I am using V3 adv pcb and sch. In the process of changing a
>circuit revision level I opened a previously completed project, created the
>netlist and opened the original PCB file, so far so good, . However when I
>single
>click on the placed components the mouse cursor flies off screen (or goes to
>the top right corner of the window) sometimes the component disappears as
>well, (Undo gets it back). If I double click and look at the component
>properties the X and Y locations for the comment and designator look correct
>but the part attribute XY values are at really wild numbers.
>
>If I then edit the XY values manually to sensible numbers,
>when I OK, the part disappears off the screen (and pcb!) even if I zoom
>right out to
>maximum.
>
>I have tried resetting the origin, rebooting, select all/copy/paste, to new
>file, even pleading into the modem microphone. Nothing seems to make any
>improvement, and this for something that was supposed to be a 1 hour task.
>
>Does anyone know what is happening here and how I get round the problem? any
>help or pointers to which file the Protel Knowledge base would be
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Ian Phillips

Sounds a little like the reference location for the PCB footprint (in the
PCB lib) is way off.  Maybe there has been a corruption.

I would look at a few things:

1) check out the footprint in the library (turn on all layers and inspect;
use Zoom All to check for any stray footprint entities off in whoop whoop
land, correct if necessary; also, force the reference location to a known
good point.) Save the library and try again.  If this fiddling doesn't work
then deleting the footprint and re-creating it would also be worth trying.

2) See if changing the footprint in the sch to something different but with
the same number of pins makes a difference.  i.e. Is the problem in the PCB
file or in the footprint?

Ian Wilson

Considered Solutions Pty Ltd     mailto:considered@ozemail.com.au
ABN: 96 088 410 002
5 The Crescent
CHATSWOOD   2067
Ph: +61 2 9411 4248   Fax: +61 2 9411 4249

</x-flowed>