Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Chapter 22


We’ll try
To stay blind
To the hopes and fears
Outside
Hey child
Stay wilder
Than the wind
And blow me into
Cry
Who do you need?
Who do you love?
When you come undone …
-Duran Duran, “Come Undone”

Although Diana and Walker Hanson were taken aback by the fact that their oldest son was dating a woman ten years his senior, they knew better than to make a big deal of it. Isaac had made up his mind, and that was it.

Isaac was totally committed to the idea, and after spending a week with Iris and Taryn, there was no talking him out of going to New York to escort Taryn to her party.

Isaac and Taryn had spent every possible minute together in New York, often bringing along Taylor, Zac and Iris.

On one particularly memorable occasion, a friend of Taryn’s, who just happened to own the ice skating rink where Iris took lessons and went to skate three times a week, had allowed the five of them to use the rink privately after hours.

Iris was quite an accomplished little skater, and thought the fact that Zac and Taylor were having a little trouble getting their bearings on the ice was pretty funny.

“Pretend you’re roller blading,” she called to them as she scooted down the ice while they were still clinging to walls. “I saw you do it in the ‘MMMBop’ video; I know you can skate.”

Spurred on by Iris’ taunts, the younger Hansons didn’t take long to catch on, and before long they were whizzing around the rink at top speed, chasing each other and squealing.

Isaac was touched by Taryn’s efforts to include his brothers and to make sure they could do some normal kid things and not get mobbed.

Other than that, they spent their time blissfully watching rented movies, making popcorn and playing board games. It was almost idyllic; and would have been if Isaac hadn’t felt so guilty about the half-truths he was telling his parents. To make matters worse, his guilt was tripled, because he knew he was also dragging his brothers into it.

He spilled all to Walker on the plane home, and then told Diana the whole truth once they returned to Tulsa.

And now, it was December 18, and Isaac was packing his suitcase to go away for the weekend. Taylor sat on his bunk, watching Isaac.

“Man, you’re really going. You’re just taking off to New York.”

“You make it sound like I’m going forever.”

Taylor smiled. “I like her. I like Iris and I like her mom, too. They’re nice.”

“Yeah, they are.”

“Hey, don’t forget to give Iris the present Zac and I got her for Christmas,” Taylor reminded his brother.

Isaac patted his carry-on bag. “It’s in here, man.”

Taylor sighed. His brother was such a romantic. If he ever doubted that the guy would do anything for a woman, this proved it was true.

“Just taking off and flying 1,400 miles,” Taylor said absently, laying back on his bunk and staring at the ceiling while he was tossing a Nerf ball into the air. “And wearing a tux to boot. Yikes!”

“Pretty pathetic, huh?”

Taylor rolled over on his stomach and looked at his brother. “Pretty cool, actually,” he said, admiration evident in his blue eyes.

Isaac snapped his suitcase shut, and grabbed his carry-on and the suit bag containing his tux. “I guess I’m ready,” he said. “You think Mom and Dad are okay with this?”

Taylor chuckled. “No, but I think they’ll get over it.”

Taylor rose from the bed, and quickly embraced his brother.

“Go get her, man.”


On to Chapter 23
Back to Chapter 21
Home