Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Chapter 25


She’ll lead you down a path
There’ll be tenderness in the air
She’ll let you come
Just far enough
So you know
She’s really there …
-Bruce Springsteen, “Secret Garden”

Isaac parked his car and gave himself one more look in the rearview mirror. He liked that he had gone the whole nine yards and gotten a scarf to go with the tux, as well as buying a new wool trench coat. He smoothed his hair, took a deep breath and prepared to go to the door.

Isaac rang the doorbell tentatively. On the other side of the door, Taryn froze like a deer in headlights as she was slipping on her second emerald green satin shoe.

It’s him,she thought. I wonder if I’m ready for this.

She walked slowly to the door, and opened it.

Taryn and Isaac just stood staring at each other for minutes. It was Isaac who finally broke the silence.

“My God, Taryn, you look amazing.”

Taryn shook her head slowly. “And you … you cut quite a picture yourself. You look great!”

“So no regrets about asking me to be your date for this shindig?”

Taryn smiled widely. “None. None whatsoever.”

Isaac stepped into the foyer, and Taryn closed the door. She turned around, and Isaac was already enveloping her in a huge hug.

“I couldn’t wait to see you again,” he said. “I didn’t want to leave last night.”

For Taryn, that comment was an opening for a conversation about something that had been on her mind for a while.

“It’s funny you should mention that,” she said carefully, slowly lifting her eyes to meet Isaac’s. “There’s something I would like to discuss with you.”

Taryn took Isaac’s hand and led him to the living room. They sat on the couch, and she took a deep breath before she began speaking.

“You’re aware that my mother and Iris are out of town for the weekend,” she began.

Isaac nodded. “Yes.”

“Well, that sort of poses a question about tonight’s … sleeping arrangements.”

Isaac’s stomach flipped over. “Oh?” he asked.

“I just wanted you to know that I’m willing to let whatever happens happen,” Taryn said. “I don’t want to plan the hell out of everything, but I also don’t want you to feel like you have to stay here if you’re uncomfortable. I’m not expecting anything.”

Isaac breathed a sigh of relief. “I have been thinking about this ever since last night,” he admitted. “I think that just playing it by ear is a good idea. We’ll see how tonight goes and what we think later. And just so you know … I’m prepared.”

Taryn smiled. She should have guessed that Isaac would think of everything.

At that point, a car horn sounded on the street. Taryn jumped to look out the window.

“Holy cow,” she said. “Come look at this limo Cam got. It’s huge!”

No stranger to limousines, Isaac was nonetheless impressed with the white stretch job Cameron had commissioned for the evening.

“That’s quite a vehicle,” he said.

Isaac followed Taryn to the front hall, where she got her wrap from the closet. He helped her into it, then turned her to face him and took her hands in his.

“You are so beautiful,” he said. “I am going to be the envy of every man at that party.”

Taryn blushed. “Are you flirting with me?”

“That depends on if it’s getting me anywhere.”

Taryn winked slyly at Isaac. “I guess you’ll have to wait and see,” she said.

Still holding hands, Taryn and Isaac smiled widely at each other and headed out to the waiting car.

Please check out this award winning story at our host site ...

On to Chapter 26
Back to Chapter 24
Home