Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Disclaimer: Diadem: Worlds of Magic does NOT belong to me. It belongs to Peel and his publishers, currently Llewellyn Worldwide. I highly respect his work and am making no profit from this, nor do I intend for this piece of fan fiction to interfere with his profits.

Author's Note: Takes place sometime after Book of Nightmares and before Book of War

-------

Diadem: Book of Thoughts

CHAPTER 13: “Friends in Low Places”

by Luna

--------

“The Goblins?  Wow, Helaine actually has a good idea,’’ teased Score.  Helaine simply shot him a look, knowing full well he was using his Earth humor again.

        The mountain Goblins of Rawn had first acted hostile towards the three magic-users, but after a few gestures of goodwill, (including the slaying of a deadly wyrm in their tunnels and conjuring barrels of carbonated beverages), they were accepted as friends and allies.

        ‘‘If anyone could help us on this world it would be them, or some of Dethrin’s clan of centaurs,’’ agreed Pixel, ‘‘but finding and convincing Dethrin or the other centaurs to help us would be harder.’’

        Helaine nodded her agreement.  ‘‘Then it is settled; we go ask the Goblins’’.

        ‘‘But first,’’ interrupted Score, ‘‘we’ll need some warmer clothing.  I’m not repeating a trip outside in a T-shirt.”

        Score took out his emerald and concentrated on the trio’s clothing.  Helaine’s leather armor along with Score and Pixel’s shirts became thick fur coats.

        ‘‘Awesome!’’ said Pixel, impressed.

        Helaine looked pleased, but slightly worried.  ‘‘You can change them back, right?  I don’t want to be without my armor for long.’’

        “Hmmm,” a mischievous smile graced Score's lips.

        “Score!” Helaine recognized that look.

        “Hey, I was just thinking a slight change in clothing would look good on you.  Would metallic underwear count as armor?”

        “Score...” Helaine growled, her hands clenching the hilt of her sword.

        ‘‘Oh, fine,” he mock pouted.  “I'll change them back to normal later.’’   

        The three left the lone ice palace and journeyed back down the treacherous peak.  The winter storm was not as severe as when they arrived and visibility had improved.  Fewer clouds clung to the peak of the mountain.  Cautiously, they followed Pixel and his glowing ruby down the side of the mountain. 

        About an hour later the three reached the small cave that led to one of the secret entrances into the Goblin tunnels.  Pixel held out his hand and murmured the fire casting spell.  A ball of fire formed in his hand, providing light and heat.  He was disappointed at the size of it.  On the inner circuit on Dondar where the magic was stronger, the fireball would have been three times its present size. 

        Score walked over to the right side wall of the cave and pressed in three areas of rock.  A moment later, there was a loud cracking sound and the entire wall of the cave slid to the left.  Flying chips and lumps of rock spewed forth, and Helaine took out her chrysoprase to repel the barrage of stones.  Dust filled the air, making the three cough and choke.

         Score looked at Helaine, ready to make a joke about ladies go first, but that there wasn’t any ladies at present, and stopped.  Helaine had a stern look on her face, as if she was expecting an ambush at any moment.

        ‘‘Do you sense any trouble, Helaine?’’ asked Score.

        ‘‘Uh… no,’’ replied Helaine.  She didn’t know how to answer.  ‘‘There’s no immediate danger, but…”  Helaine faltered, unsure of how to describe her senses.  “I just have a bad feeling, but it’s different from the feeling I get when there’s danger coming at us.’’

        “Woman’s intuition, huh?”  Score joked. 

        Helaine gave him a curdling look and marched into the cavern entrance.  Score and Pixel quickly followed suit.  Pixel then took the lead with his magic ball of fire lighting the way, followed by Helaine and then Score.      

        Pixel took out his ruby and concentrated on the location of Gunther, one of their first Goblin friends.  Years had past since they last traveled into the Goblins’ domain, but with Pixel’s magic to guide them, it wasn’t long until the boisterous voices of Goblins reached their ears. 

        The trio entered the giant Goblin hall.  Although dark and gloomy in comparison to the outside world, its torch lit walls were bright and festive in comparison to the dark tunnels.  As fortune would have it, they had stumbled upon the luncheon for the miners. 

        Silence filled the noisy hall as over a hundred green-blue, twisted, pig-nosed, pointy-eared faces stopped in mid bite to stare at the strange arrivals.

        Score was the first to speak.  “Uh, hi guys,” he waved.  “Long time no see.”  

        “Score!  Friends!” cried a recognizable voice.  Gunther was one of the miners present.  He recognized the trio immediately, and scolded his comrades for their rude behavior. 

        “Don’t you remember our honorary Goblins?  The Cola-Giver and the Wyrm-Slayer?”  The Goblins instantly shouted cries of recognition.  Pixel felt left out, having no specific title of his own. 

        The Goblins suddenly became friendly and welcoming, showing their guests to the table and offering them food and drink.  As the trio was hungry, they accepted gladly.  Gunther and the other Goblins instantly requested Score to refill their empty supplies of Cola.  Score gladly complied and took creative license in transforming their ale into different flavors of soda. 

        During the meal, small talk was made as Gunther asked about how his honorary Goblin kin were and what adventures they had seen since they last met.  The trio quickly told the Goblins of some of their adventures, such as defeating the magician on Dondar, aiding and befriending the unicorn herd, and the defeat of the Triad and restoration of the Diadem’s natural magical flow. 

        Gunther and the other goblins were only too happy to listen to tales of adventures from the outside world.  However, Score was feeling twitchy, worried about how much time they were wasting talking.  Helaine actually was feeling more patient than Score, as her old life on Ordin was steeped in politics; she knew patience and the proper etiquette involved in requesting a favor.

        Gunther noticed Score’s itchy behavior. 

        “So, what is it you three really want?”

        The trio looked at each other.

        “I’m no fool.  We’ve heard nigh but a rumor or two of you since you left, and now you suddenly return?”  Gunther shook his head and took a deep gulp of his transmuted root beer. 

        Score came right out and said it: “We need your aid in fighting the magic-user, Morphos.”

        Gunther’s face lost all its jollity.  ‘‘You know we’re your allies, but this is a matter for magicians, not Goblins.’’

        ‘‘What do you mean it’s not your problem?  Morphos is a threat to the entire Diadem!’’ exclaimed Helaine.

        ‘‘That’s your opinion, not ours,’’ replied Ronin.  ‘‘Goblins don’t mess with magician fights.  If we leave him alone, then he has no reason to hurt us, right?  It’s our way.”

        Another Goblin joined in the conversation.  “We ignore the magicians so they will ignore us.  It’s the only safe way to get by in the Diadem, and we like it that way.”

        Gunther nodded.  “We’ve lived by it for centuries without problems and we’re not going to risk the rage of a powerful sorcerer.  The only reason we are your friends and allies is that we made you honorary Goblins.  Normally, we’d be glad to help you, but in this we cannot.’’

        ‘‘You mean you will not,’’ retorted Helaine angrily. 

        ‘‘Helaine killed the wyrm for you Goblins when you were in need, but you won’t even lend a hand to help us when we’re in trouble,’’ shot Pixel.

        ‘‘That was different,’’ defended Cathor.  ‘‘We gave you your gemstones as a reward.  Remember?’’

        Pixel frowned.  “And the Cola?”

        “Only fair to provide good drink to your hosts,” was another Goblin’s quick reply. 

        Pixel sighed.  This didn’t seem to go anywhere.

        Gunther thought hard for a moment before speaking again.  ‘‘We can’t help you three directly in this situation, we explained that to you already, but we may be able to be of some aid.  You’ll need transportation to the Golden Forest.  Going on foot is long and perilous, even for magic-users, and our caves can’t lead you there.  We will lend you our ponies.’’

        ‘‘Thank you, Gunther,’’ replied Pixel, trying to ease the tension.

        Some of the other Goblins nodded their head in agreement.  Some, however, looked as if they wanted nothing at all to do to with the humans, while others looked regretful that they couldn’t do more.

        Gunther led the way through the winding tunnels.  Helaine could tell that they were rising to the surface by the freshening of the air.     While they walked Gunther warned them of the dangers to expect. 

        “The Golden forest is no pleasant place.  There’s buzzing insects that drive you mad, poisonous ponds sprouting from fresh running water!”

        His voice grew quiet for dramatic effect.  “And that’s not all… they say the forest was cursed by a wizard a hundred years ago.”

        They had reached the end of their journey and stood at the exit, sunlight shining through into the gloom. 

        All four of them were outside in the sunlight, blinking.  Gunther squinted sharply and shielded his eyes, protecting his sensitive Goblin eyes.  They stood in a meadow that led down toward a forest below them. 

        The leaves and trunks of the trees weren’t the normal colors of Earth or the other Outer circuit worlds.  There were blues, oranges, purples, and all shades in between.  Aside from that, and their gigantic size, they seemed like normal trees.  The others had adjusted already to the change in light, but Gunther kept shielded his eyes from the light with his hand.  .

        Gunther picked out and saddled three sturdy ponies.  ‘‘These are our best ponies,’’ he lied.  In reality they were their third best.  Gunther, like all Goblins, knew how to arrange a business deal.   It was best not to give the humans their best steeds given their questionable survival against Morphos

        Gunther resumed his jolly tone.  “You’ll see what I mean when you get there.  Good luck!” he shouted, and scurried back to the gloom of the caves. 


Chapter 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 |