Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Disclaimer: Diadem: Worlds of Magic does NOT belong to me. It belongs to Peel and his publishers, currently Llewellyn Worldwide. I highly respect his work and am making no profit from this, nor do I intend for this piece of fan fiction to interfere with his profits.

Author's Note: Takes place sometime after Book of Nightmares and before Book of War

-------

Diadem: Book of Thoughts

CHAPTER 6: “Forgotten Past”

by Luna

--------

        Score was in a foul mood as he followed his comrades.  Although he had to admit it was fun to be one of the most powerful magic-user’s in the Diadem, he hardly thought it was worth the fights-to-the-death and responsibilities the role came with. 

        Score's thoughts were also dwelling on the news of Morphos' origin.  He always had found Shanara attractive in that whoa-what-a-babe-but-she's-like-my-teacher kind of way, but now he was afraid it was the remnants of Traxis that had made him feel as he did.  He never wanted to be like him.

        Score’s negative thoughts were broken abruptly after he rounded the corner; it was a dead-end.  However, that wasn’t what was disturbing him. 

        “Helaine?  Pix?  Where the hell did you guys disappear to?”

        His friends, who had stood before him seconds before, were gone. 

        The corridor was no different than any other part of Shanara’s home.  The walls were covered in rich tapestries and lit by candles that magically never waxed.  The only thing of note was a floor-to-ceiling mirror at the end of the passage.

        The mirror seemed to call to Score, and he approached it cautiously.  When the distance between him and the mirror had closed to a few inches, the mirror shimmered and rippled like a stone thrown upon still water.  The mirror calmed again, but was no longer a reflection of Score and the room.  The mirror showed the outside of a familiar apartment in New York City, Earth. 

        “What’s going on here?!” Score shouted.  He did not like being played around with. 

        A thick, feminine voice echoed from the mirror.  “I am the window of forgotten past.  Enter me and doubt no longer.” 

        “What?” Few things fazed Score nowadays.  He had been on Dondar for a few years, adjusting to a world ruled by magic and not physics.  But something about this mirror sent his nerves on edge. 

        “I don’t have time for this,” Score thought to himself.  He had to find Helaine and Pixel, make sure they were okay, and then rescue the Diadem from another psychotic magic-wielding villain.  There wasn’t time to go playing with spooky mirrors. 

        “Another time,” answered Score to the mirror.  He was about to turn away, but the mirror’s image changed again.  It was now showing the inside of the apartment.  A woman with dark curly hair had walked into the room.   It was a face burned into Score’s memory. 

        “Mom?”  His voiced cracked as he spoke.  She looked exactly as Score remembered her, the night before she died.  His responsibilities, worries, and concerns over his friends and the Diadem vanished in an instant.  He reached out to touch the mirror. 

        Upon contact, the mirror bubbled and swarmed over Score’s body as an amoeba did its prey.  When Score next opened his eyes he was on Earth, in his old apartment, staring at his mother. 


Chapter 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 |