Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
"Triad" by Meitora

Chapter 2: Changes

Helaine stood beneath her enchanted shower head and let the water run down her face and pool around her feet before disappearing. It had taken a few weeks to get used to using the shower after every time she exercised, but after enough not-so-subtle complaints from the boys about her odious presence, she learned to enjoy her private moments with the water. She was nicely saturated at this point, and she reached for the bottle of shampoo Score had given her. She was probably one of the most powerful magicians in the entire Diadem, but she could never quite master the creation of the hair cleanser, which Pixel attributed to her lack of knowledge of chemistry, and Score to her general girliness. "Just like a woman... to use something everyday and not know how it works," he'd teased. Even so, the sweet pea scented bottle had appeared in her shower the next day, without fanfare, and managed to remain half-full at all times, no matter how much she used. It was a Score sort of thing to do, she mused, massaging her scalp.

Wrapped in a magically-heated towel, Helaine continued with her post-shower ritual by reciting her mild variation of the spell Score had performed in the tomb on Zarathan so long ago. After several bad hair days, she had finally tweaked the words just right so they removed the moisture without causing the horrible frizz. Not that she cared, of course.

Helaine stared blankly into the mid-length mirror that was hung slightly crooked on her wall. It had a lovely porcelain frame with little roses painted around it. While divvying up the bedrooms in the castle, she had strictly stated that the overtly feminine mirror was to remain in another room. This of course, sealed its fate as being permanently hung in Helaine's bathroom. She suspected Score was behind this prank, as well. Pixel tended to respect her wishes, which was a lovely diversion from the irritating Earth boy.

Regardless, there the mirror was, reflecting her upper body back at her. It was a blatant reminder that she should no longer try to pass off as a male. She swept her blonde hair up messily on top of her head. Was she attractive?

It didn't matter.

Helaine dressed speedily in her new, climate-adjusted attire. Much to her dismay, the summer heat won out over her sense of decency, and her old, favorite tunic and breeches had been carefully tucked away in her trunk. Score had tried to coax her into shockingly lewd Earth garb, but with a little assistance from Pixel, Helaine was able to create a wardrobe more tailored to her tastes. The material her 'shorts' were composed of was light and smooth to the touch, and, best of all, refused to cling to her legs, nicely masking most of her upper thigh. The array of shirts she now owned were all patterned after the same design. The high collar suited her well, though the cropped-off sleeves were slightly disturbing. Necessity, of course, dictated bare arms, but still...if only her father could see her now!



It was an idyllic existence, Score thought. A happy dream world, painted in the most vibrant colors, dotted with peaceful little animals and unicorns. Like a child's story book. There hadn't been any Diadem-threatening traumas threatening to boil over in a long time now. Nothing but good friends, good food, and good weather.

He took off his shirt and squirmed a little on the rock he was lying on. It was hot, just like yesterday. Like tomorrow, too. A good day for tanning.

Pixel sat below him, in the shade his resting place provided, reading some ancient volume of magic. It was probably very boring and musty and cryptic. Just the sort of thing the blue-skinned kid liked.

Score rolled over onto his back and stared at the massive expanse of sky suspended so seemingly near above his head. He expected he would spend the day doing the same thing he did everyday. As soon as her Majesty the Queen of Haughtiness, aka Helaine, appeared, the three would set off in one direction or another and explore their planet a little more. They would find a nice place to picnic and have a grand lunch before heading back to the castle. The evening would be spent out in the castle's newly replenished garden, Pixel's hobby, talking and comparing thoughts on magic and the world.

It was nice.
It was boring.
But it was nice.

And wasn't boredom what he'd always wanted? Wasn't this peaceful languor what he'd pleaded for all along? Somehow, now that he had it, he wasn't sure if didn't miss the old days. Back when they were all at odds with each other, back when they were three steps ahead of Certain Doom, back when their lives were being controlled by unknown forces.

Happiness was elusive, he concluded, as he saw Helaine approaching his sunning rock, her familiar gait recognizable from a hundred yards away. Score slid reluctantly off his rock and put his shirt back on. Helaine was touchy about that sort of thing.

They were silent for awhile. Score glanced up expectantly at the sky. Not a day went by when he didn't expect something to swoop down and start a problem. But it was empty. The dragons had long ago learned to steer clear of the castle and the surrounding lands, and no other predator posed even near so large a threat.

Helaine shifted her weight from one foot to the other, uncomfortable. She shared a house, a life, and a destiny with the two on either side of her, but she was somehow ill at ease today. Silly as it sounded, she wanted to talk to Nova, the roan mother unicorn of the herd the three had befriended. But Nova, Thunder and darling Flame had followed in the hoofprints of their ancestors, migrating to the cooler climates in the mountains, leaving their normal stomping grounds deserted.

Telepathy was always an option, Helaine knew, but somehow, communicating over such a great distance, without a real reason, seemed silly. Besides, she would be doing it behind the boys' backs, which made it seem dishonest and dirty. So she quelled her uncertainty and continued to stare at the brown, dried grass beneath her feet.

"Maybe...over by the stream we found last time? To the east?" Pixel started hesitantly. The words didn't need to be said, but there was clearly something wrong with Helaine. He shot Score a fleeting look over her head, and was met with concerned eyes. Score cleared his throat.

"Actually, I was in the mood for some good, old-fashioned, at-home relaxing today." Score gave Pixel a significant glance.

"Umm...yeah. I just remembered that I wanted to get started on the pond for the garden," Pixel wasn't lying, he had been planning for awhile now to add some harmony to his sanctuary by creating some waterfalls and pools, with maybe some fish. Now was as good as time as any to start.

Helaine glanced up at the two boys. "What?" she snapped. "What do you think is wrong with me? I can hear you inside my heads."

Pixel took Helaine by the arm gently, "And you are in ours. If there's something bothering you, Helaine, you can always tell us."

Score thought Pixel was wasting his time. Helaine was Little Miss Secretive, no way would she bare her soul and deliver a shocking revelation.

"I want to go away." Helaine clamped her mouth shut and looked as surprised as the boys. "I mean," she quickly corrected, "I mean..." she trailed off.

"I want to go away" she said again, softly.

"Where?" Pixel asked.

"I don't know. Shanara's castle, maybe. Maybe... home."

"Why?" Score queried, still sounding surprised.

"I don't know."

It was quiet. Somewhere an insect hummed ignorantly.

"Of course, Helaine. You can go wherever you like. You don't...have to stay with us." Pixel clumsily explained, unnecessarily. His remark was punctuated with several nods on behalf of all parties. The ensuing hush sat uneasily between the three.

Score slapped his arm. "Damn bugs." The other two stared at him for a half second, and broke into grateful laughter at the slaying of the silence.



*****
The Authors Edges In a Word (or two)
Yummy. John Peel leaves us hanging, so somebody's got to fill in the gaps. However, I am not fond of dealing with twelve year olds, thus it was necessary to set the story several years later. Maybe someday... I'll fill in some gaps. Anyway. This story has been much long in the making...it actually started back in, wow, about 1999 (goodness). It just took this long A.) for me to mature the dust bunny and B.) to find an audience. I think this will be Diadem ficcy 8 or so...which gives me a rather warm and fuzzy feeling. Hey, at least we're out there. To the rest of you, keep writing, Score, Helaine, and Pixel have a basket's worth of stories to be told. Until next update, then, there will be much love from me to you.
Aroo!
--Meitora


Chapter 1. Morning
Chapter 2. Changes
Chapter 3. Last Night
Chapter 4. White Monkey
Chapter 5. Searching
Chapter 6. Child
Chapter 7. One Candle
Chapter 8. Crow
Chapter 9. Dorian
Chapter 10. Ordin
Chapter 11. Votrins
Chapter 12. Gone
Chapter 13. Mother
Chapter 14. Mardren
Chapter 15. Scars
Chapter 16. Tears
Chapter 17. Mend
Chapter 18. Summons
Chapter 19. Council

Back to The Archive