Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
"Triad" by Meitora

Chapter 4: White Monkey

"Pet me" commanded Blink, the semi-lovable red panda. Helaine obliged and stroked its increasingly vulgar stomach. She was curled up in a warm blanket by Shanara's hearth. The Mistress of Shapes had disappeared into another room to fetch hot drinks and breakfast, promising a hasty return.

Helaine removed her fingers from Blink's belly and unwrapped the smallish gift given to her by the boys. A mischievous white monkey scampered out of the brown paper and danced around on the palm of her hand, finally settling on entwining itself around her left thumb. Instantly it thinned itself out, looking like an odd ring, though it winked at her and yawned. Amused, Helaine read the accompanying note.



Helaine--
Found this spell somewhere, thought it humorous. But the little guy has a practical use, too. He is under strict orders not to leave you, and he monitors your health. You get in trouble, and Pix and I will be the first to know. Anyway, I don't care if you like it or not because I wanted to get you lacy black panties but Pix wouldn't let me. He's a prude.
--Score

PS
I am not.
--Pixel

PPS
Yes, he really is.
--Score



Helaine laughed out loud and swallowed down a little bubble of homesickness. But it was not the time for self-doubting, not so early in her journey. Shanara had just burst into the room with mugs of a cider-like liquid. "It's been a span of years since I last saw you, Helaine" the older woman said cheerfully. Her hair today was a deep obsidian, with brilliant cobalt strands aesthetically placed. Helaine wondered off-hand what the actual color was. "I don't believe you said why it was you wanted to come visit me alone. Normally it's a three-for-one kind of deal, isn't it?"

Helaine nodded. "But that's just the problem. I've missed myself so much. Back on Ordin, I ran away from the child my father wanted. I thought I found myself in Dondar, but I really can't be sure." Helaine stared into the flames of the fire, recalling another large hearth and another woman sitting with her, listening to her.

"I wouldn't worry so much if I were you, darling. I know you're going to find this hard to believe, but its perfectly normal to feel unsettled. Especially as a magic-user. You wouldn't believe how much turmoil I went through at your age. Oh yes, I was quite the brat." Shanara smiled and offered Helaine a biscuit off her tray.

"Oooh... food..." purred Blink, reaching out his tiny paw.



"So what do you think?" Asked Score. He had stacked up seven decks of playing cards in a giant mansion. It had taken up the lion's share of the Great Room, and included a garage, car, and third story balcony. He had cheated only a smidgen…well, maybe more than a smidgen.

"I think you're bored out of your mind," Pixel replied dryly without looking up from his book. Score thought about it for a minute, then willed the cards back into their boxes with a snap of the fingers. "Admit it," Pixel said with a superior tone, "you miss her."

"I do not," Score muttered, levitating the deuce of clubs over Pixel's head so that it tickled the back of his neck.

"You haven't done anything all day except mope around the castle and-" he snatched at the irritating card, and missed "-annoy me. You miss her."

"I know that I won't miss you making dopey cow eyes at her." Score leered and ducked out of the way of the pillow Pixel had halfheartedly thrown at him.

"Don't be stupid" he said. It was true that he and Helaine had stolen a half-dozen kisses in the corridors of the castle, but it was too weird for both of them, and it had stopped soon after it started. He didn't think Score knew. "Anyway," he continued, "why don't you find something-someone-to do?" He grinned as the pillow he had thrown returned to him with an equal force.

"Maybe I will," huffed Score with a smile, "you're just jealous because you can't get any."

Pixel refused to grace that comment with a reply, and immersed himself in his book again.

Score wandered outside to his tanning rock. He thought about what Pixel had said. Helaine had pretty much been his only female companion for the last five years. She was nice, he supposed, but if all girls were like her, he thought he'd go crazy. She was demanding, violent, and temperamental. Very nice-looking, but quite the sourpuss, especially when she was feeling insecure.

Why was he thinking about her again?

Helaine was gone from Dondar, there was absolutely no reason for her to linger about in her mind. What we need, he thought dreamily to himself, are some neighbors.



Pixel sat back and admired his handiwork. He was nearly finished digging the hole for the main pond. He could have easily done it with magic, of course, but there was something more satisfying about working in the soil with his own hands and feeling the sweat drip down his chest. He wasn't much for being physical, but the garden brought out a different side to him. Things were quieter without Helaine, that was for certain. She and Score were prone to bickering like children. Score was crazy about her, of course. Pixel didn't even think Score himself knew it yet. But Pixel had a gift for perceiving things the average person would not have seen, and it was clear to him that the Earth boy admired Helaine greatly. He drew designs in the sand lazily. It was entertaining, really, their battles.

A turtle-like animal moved in the bushes and Pixel watched its wizened head bob up and down, munching on a leaf. He was ready to begin digging again when Score popped his head into the garden from the castle.

"Hey Pix," he called, "let's go hunt down some new neighbors!"

Pixel rolled his eyes. If it wasn't one thing, it was another.





*****
Nyum...A few words on the story and other things:
I can't promise to be one of those brilliant authors who manage to churn out three chapters a week or anything. I throw shot put and javelin on the varsity track team, which means (lucky me) that I get to spend about 15 hours a week doing sport-like things. Joy. So pardon the fact that I'm hardly speedy in writing... I just never seem to have the time (sigh).
Secondly, for those of you who are curious, Score and Pixel and DEFINITELY still in the story...I couldn't do it without them! And, not to give anything away, but there is the hint of romance on the horizon *wink wink* but be patient! These things take time! Especially when the two in subject are generally opposed to romance and mush :)
Finally, thank all of you SO much for reviewing... I'm sure you know that there is NOTHING like finding out that there are crazy people out there who actually like what you write...! (wow!)
Anyway, think happy thoughts... my birthday is in ten days yay!
Aroo!
--Meitora


Chapter 1. Morning
Chapter 2. Changes
Chapter 3. Last Night
Chapter 4. White Monkey
Chapter 5. Searching
Chapter 6. Child
Chapter 7. One Candle
Chapter 8. Crow
Chapter 9. Dorian
Chapter 10. Ordin
Chapter 11. Votrins
Chapter 12. Gone
Chapter 13. Mother
Chapter 14. Mardren
Chapter 15. Scars
Chapter 16. Tears
Chapter 17. Mend
Chapter 18. Summons
Chapter 19. Council

Back to The Archive