Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
"Triad" by Meitora

Chapter 6: Child

"I don't know about this," said Pixel for the umpteenth time. Score gritted his teeth and ignored the blue-skinned boy's doubts. "It just seems a little... immoral. I mean, who are we to whisk some kid away from their home? I seem to remember not being too happy about it when it happened to us." Score rolled his eyes as Pixel continued. "Besides, if we're finding some kid who can make it all the way to Dondar then... then that's one hell of a magician, right? What if we screw up and get stuck with another power-starved dictator wannabe?"

"Pix, calm down. He's only seven. Plus we always have the power to send them back where they came from. And everything worked out for the best when we were taken to Treen, didn't it?" Score retorted, kicking a loose stone down the corridor in Jewel. They hadn't been to Sarman's castle since they had almost become his ticket to ultimate hegemony. It was empty, except for a faint humming that emitted from the analog room. The unicorn horn, wedged in the room, and the negating field it created prevented the boys from entering. Which was as it should be, of course.

"Well?" Score demanded, "Are you ready?"

"One more qualm," Pixel inserted, pursing his thin lips. "What about Helaine?"

"What about her?"

"Well, how do you think she's going to feel if she comes home to find that we've adopted a stray?" Pixel was adamant.

"I dunno. I imagine she'd think it was neat. If she has a problem we can always work it out when she gets back, which, in case you forgot, might not be for a while." Score didn't want to think about Helaine right now. He was too busy pretending not to miss her.

"Fine," Pixel said, "But I'm blaming you, if anything goes wrong." Score shrugged, and began the spell for opening the Portal. "What are you doing?" Pixel asked.

"Making violent love to the tooth fairy." Score bit back sarcastically. "What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Well, I was just thinking, while we're on Jewel, why don't we just summon the kid here? Who says we can't? Besides, if we both go to Myrd, then who's going to open the Portal to get us home?"

Score had to admit that Pixel had a point. "Okay, you take the lead then. Summon away."

The two fell silent as they concentrated. Using the calling spell they had learned so long ago, combined with the results of their finding spell, Pixel focused his energy and Score's at the hazy yellow cloud that was forming in front of them. As he watched, the cloud condensed and took the form of a smallish person. Like bringing a microscope into focus, the fuzziness of the cloud sharpened to show colors, lines, and finally a child.

Pixel let out a whoosh of air as the spell finished. Though it was far more complicated and difficult than any spell he'd done so far, and had depleted him of quite a bit of energy, he instantly began feeling better. One of the many effects of performing magic on Jewel, he assumed.

The child looked all around it and then suddenly seemed to see Score and Pixel. It hissed and fell into a low crouch, brandishing a knife. "Hey now!" Said Score wearily. "None of that." He offered a hand to the child of indecipherable sex under layers of grime and rags. It spat and backed away. "I wish we had Helaine's agate," Score muttered to Pixel as he withdrew the hand. "I don't think the little bugger understands us at all."

Pixel was not as easily defeated. "Hello," he said slowly, "We don't want to hurt you. Why don't you start by telling us your name?" The stranger backed up again, and kept a firm grip on the knife.

"Who are you?" It asked in a thin, reedy voice. Score and Pixel exchanged a look.

"My name is Pixel. This is Score. We brought you here. We don't want to hurt you." Pixel reemphasized his goodwill.

"You with the Watch?" It asked, tilting its small head.

"Erm, I don't think so." Pixel and Score looked at each other again. Then Score thought of something.

"You hungry, kid?" The savage guest hesitated a moment, then nodded voraciously. "You want something to eat maybe?" The knife wavered a little, then slid away to a hidden pocket. Score considered transforming a rock into a burger or something, then decided not to alarm the poor guy any more. He quickly opened a Portal back to Dondar. Instantly the child skittered away from the black gap in space and cowered in the shadows.

"What's that?" It asked quavering.

"A door," Pixel said simply. "Are you hungry or not?" And with that he nonchalantly stepped through the Portal. With a glance at Score for approval, the urchin cautiously followed. Score jumped through last, leaving Jewel for the sun soaked Dondar.






First things first, thought Helaine as she buckled her boots. She had old friends in the woodland and tunnels below that she had to visit, now that she was on Rawn. She selected a warm fur from Shanara's bountiful supply and wondered why the three hadn't been to visit the goblins and centaurs since the last they'd met. Helaine couldn't wait to see Rothar and Dethrin - especially Dethrin. The noble and friendly centaur reminded her vaguely of someone, but she couldn't quite remember who.

Helaine could hear Shanara and Dorian in the common room, but she didn't feel like looking. They were laughing.

Outside, a nasty wind clawed her face, but it was not far to the cave where she'd first been dumped by the Portal a long time ago. She smiled. Score had been such a pain, still coming to terms with Helaine, as opposed to Renald. He had grown a lot since then. She supposed they all had.

Helaine wandered down the goblin tunnel for a little ways, her path lit by a gently bobbing orb of light. "Hallo goblins!" She called down ahead of her.

"Eh, now, who's there?" A voice echoed back up to her.

"It's Helaine," she replied as she kept walking, "Your ally."

"Helaine?" The voice was closer and suddenly she found herself face to face with an unfamiliar goblin. His eyes widened and shined. "Human..." he hissed softly.

"Don't you know me?" She demanded, half annoyed, "where is Gunther?" She was fond of the black-humored goblin chief.

"Gunther?" The goblin asked, jangling the beads that hung around his neck. He looked confused. "Are you the Helaine they speak of? You should follow me."

Wondering exactly how many Helaines the goblins knew, she followed her guide down the tunnel until she reached a door in the wall. The goblin knocked fiercely and then opened it. "Go on in," he said. Helaine obeyed and stepped in, followed by her guide. She walked forwards until she saw the goblin chief, sitting in his pint-sized throne.

"You aren't Gunther," Helaine snapped, startled. "Where is he?"

"Who are you?" asked the goblin, looking her up and down curiously.

"I'm Helaine," she said patiently, "Ally to the goblins. Where is Gunther?"

"Gunther? The legendary goblin king? He's been dead for generations... What would you know of Gunther?" The chieftain leapt out of his chair and walked up to get a better look at Helaine.

"He's my friend, for one. I defeated the Wyrm for him. And what do you mean, he's dead? It was only five years ago that we were here!" Helaine swallowed a queasy lump in her throat.

"You? You defeated the Wyrm? But you're a myth! My great-great grandfather was just a boy in those days. How are you still alive?" The goblin seemed as baffled as Helaine. She thought for a moment before speaking.

"How many winters does a goblin see in his life?" She asked.

"One, maybe two, depending when they are born, why?"

"I get it. See, a human usually lives to see fifty on my world, and even longer on Score's and Pixel's." Helaine explained slowly. If the average goblin lifespan was less than two years, then it would make sense that five years would seem a long time ago. And it would then make sense that Gunther was long dead. She felt a sharp twang deep inside her as she remembered their adventures on Rawn.

"What the hell do you do with fifty years? It only takes one to have children and teach them all that is important." Gunther's successor peered at Helaine out of half-shuttered eyes.

"I... I haven't figured that out yet. I'm still a child." She admitted, twisting the monkey ring on her finger. It winked at her.

"My name is Yangor. If you are truly who you say you are-"

"I am."

"-then I pledge my allegiance to you. Gunther was widely praised for his decision, and I see it wise to continue in his tradition." Yangor offered his clawed hand. Helaine took it gravely.

"Thank you, Yangor. I will continue to regard the goblins as my closest friends." She smiled and bowed her head quickly. This pleased Yangor, and he clapped her shoulder.

"It has been a long time since the goblins have seen the likes of you, Helaine. But..." He trailed off.

"But what?"

"According to the legend, you were accompanied by two males. Where are they?" Helaine looked down and bit her lip.

"I'm traveling alone right now." She said softly, twisting the monkey ring again. It felt warm beneath her fingers. Yangor wisely decided not to press the issue.

"Come!" he said waving his hand and trotting briskly towards the door. "We will prepare a feast to welcome you back home to the goblins!"




*****
Sorry bout the long time, my fault, big track meet this week (conferences), so I have been quite the busy. In other news, well, no other news. Everyone else keep writing, and have a lovely week! aroo!


Chapter 1. Morning
Chapter 2. Changes
Chapter 3. Last Night
Chapter 4. White Monkey
Chapter 5. Searching
Chapter 6. Child
Chapter 7. One Candle
Chapter 8. Crow
Chapter 9. Dorian
Chapter 10. Ordin
Chapter 11. Votrins
Chapter 12. Gone
Chapter 13. Mother
Chapter 14. Mardren
Chapter 15. Scars
Chapter 16. Tears
Chapter 17. Mend
Chapter 18. Summons
Chapter 19. Council

Back to The Archive